[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 38675 times)

bananahammock

• Starter
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »
I've done a number of the BLS runs for the Lakefront Marathon the last few years even when I was running different marathons.  I enjoyed the organized runs with volunteers handing out water.  And it's a nice change of pace from my usual running routes.  And I have a friend I sometimes run with 1-2 times a month and I miss being able to run with her.  I was supposed to be leaving this Friday with her to go to Lincoln, NE for my 2nd spring marathon...
Where was the first cancelled Spring marathon?  I tell myself I’m going to do some destination races. Yet to follow through.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2020, 07:51:17 AM »
Where was the first cancelled Spring marathon?  I tell myself I’m going to do some destination races. Yet to follow through.

St. Louis - was going to make it a family spring break trip - going to try to do it in 2021.  I had actually looked up mararthons going on during spring break to pick out a race I wanted to do and a good family destination.

I've found traveling to do marathons a fun way to check out different places and try new races too.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »
It might depend on the type of knee issue of course but my chiropractor was a life saver for me when I ran into some knee issues with running a couple years ago.

And to the person who said Physical Therapy actually worked...  Marquette is a top 15 national PT program.  PT works.  Go to a PT that can do a video running analysis on you.  It usually a weak hip or tight hip flexor, but could be something else. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »
The running group got me off my a$$ and outside today after looking outside and thinking "I'll run tomorrow it's too gloomy now". Hope it's working for the other 5 of you on the group as well!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2020, 09:07:52 PM »
The running group got me off my a$$ and outside today after looking outside and thinking "I'll run tomorrow it's too gloomy now". Hope it's working for the other 5 of you on the group as well!

I ran today but am thinking now it would have been a better day to take off - my knee is really acting up again :(.  Hoping it feels better tomorrow with a day off and heading to the Chiropractor on Wednesday.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »
My training app tells me when I am halfway through my run so I can run in any direction I want, and then just turn around and go back the way I came.  It has been a godsend.

I can’t do that psychologically.  I go out with no plan. Running in the city I may decide to turn at an intersection or keep going straight, depending upon the light. I may go over one bridge or maybe to the next. Then I map it out online and see how far I’ve gone. That got me a few weeks ago when my IT Band flared and I was still 4 miles from home.

I have a Garmin but recently the GPS has been way off; over 1.3 miles off this morning, so unfortunately it’s only good for keeping time on my runs right now.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2020, 06:04:47 AM »
I’m letting my hip rest for a couple days. Hopefully back to good towards the end of the week.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:07:40 AM by bananahammock »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2020, 09:05:17 AM »
I made sure to go Saturday afternoon when the sun and warmth came out.
I was out this morning after the doom & gloom of Sunday & Monday.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2020, 12:10:39 PM »
I can’t do that psychologically.  I go out with no plan. Running in the city I may decide to turn at an intersection or keep going straight, depending upon the light. I may go over one bridge or maybe to the next. Then I map it out online and see how far I’ve gone. That got me a few weeks ago when my IT Band flared and I was still 4 miles from home.

I have a Garmin but recently the GPS has been way off; over 1.3 miles off this morning, so unfortunately it’s only good for keeping time on my runs right now.

I can't look at my distance until I'm at least 75% through the run or I psych myself out or get bored. I go out with a distance in mind but rarely with a planned route.

I'm trying to start doing training runs as if I'll be doing a half marathon in August and a full in October but it's difficult mentally given that races will likely be cancelled.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »
I can't look at my distance until I'm at least 75% through the run or I psych myself out or get bored. I go out with a distance in mind but rarely with a planned route.

I'm trying to start doing training runs as if I'll be doing a half marathon in August and a full in October but it's difficult mentally given that races will likely be cancelled.

I had a half canceled in March, 10 days before the race.  It would have been my first half.  I tried to keep running and increasing my distances after (since I now had fewer workout options) and I did too much and had to take 16 days off. Since then I've cut my distance back and am keeping on flatter terrain as upslopes trigger the IT Band pain. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »

Maybe I'll start running like this instead of what I'm doing.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2020, 04:05:55 PM »
Maybe I'll start running like this instead of what I'm doing.

It has greatly helped with my pace and distance because it enables me to just zone out and not constantly worry about how long I have left to go.

It has its downsides, though. I just wrapped up a run a mile from home and it started downpouring.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2020, 04:09:02 PM »
I had a half canceled in March, 10 days before the race.  It would have been my first half.  I tried to keep running and increasing my distances after (since I now had fewer workout options) and I did too much and had to take 16 days off. Since then I've cut my distance back and am keeping on flatter terrain as upslopes trigger the IT Band pain.

IT band injuries are frustrating. For me, the only thing that has helped with healing is long-term rest. Good luck with your recovery. I hope you're able to continue training and complete that half when restrictions are lifted!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »
IT band injuries are frustrating. For me, the only thing that has helped with healing is long-term rest. Good luck with your recovery. I hope you're able to continue training and complete that half when restrictions are lifted!

Thanks!  Such intense pain. My wife is a yoga instructor and with her knowledge of anatomy and movement has helped me with exercises for recovery.  I'm running at half of what I was when injured and no more than 3x a week right now. No pain yesterday but I don't want to push too much too soon. 

It has greatly helped with my pace and distance because it enables me to just zone out and not constantly worry about how long I have left to go.

It has its downsides, though. I just wrapped up a run a mile from home and it started downpouring.

I like seeing my distance just for the feeling of accomplishment and thinking "how much more can I push it today." I'll go out and think "get at least 5 today," then I look down at my watch, see 4 miles and decided to make a left instead of a right or something like that, but it's never an "I'm going to run 5 and that's it." Though considering my injury issue maybe I should!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2020, 09:55:50 PM »
My trainer encourages me to run without my watch sometime but I have such a hard time doing that.  I think I just love the stats too much - I like knowing the pace and distance.  The biggest trick for me is for long runs to be far enough away from my house that I don't want to have to walk too far to get home so I just end up running the whole planned distance...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »
I've been doing 2 "fast" runs per week and 2-3 "slow" runs. It's really helped with my pace.

I used to try to do my best for every run and I always would hit a pace ceiling and that doesnt seem to be the case now that I'm doing fewer "fast" runs. We'll see once I get to longer runs though.

Anyone have any strategy for pace improvement other than HIIT?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »
I've been doing 2 "fast" runs per week and 2-3 "slow" runs. It's really helped with my pace.

I used to try to do my best for every run and I always would hit a pace ceiling and that doesnt seem to be the case now that I'm doing fewer "fast" runs. We'll see once I get to longer runs though.

I don’t know what HIIT stands for so I apologize if this is redundant. When I was training for 5ks, 10ks and even marathons I would do interval training at least once a week. I used the treadmill for this, as it’s easier to track. Slow warmup mile, then  3 or 4 miles alternating easy and fast quarter miles. Helps both speed and stamina.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2020, 07:18:49 PM »
I don’t know what HIIT stands for so I apologize if this is redundant. When I was training for 5ks, 10ks and even marathons I would do interval training at least once a week. I used the treadmill for this, as it’s easier to track. Slow warmup mile, then  3 or 4 miles alternating easy and fast quarter miles. Helps both speed and stamina.

High intensity interval training.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2020, 07:33:14 PM »
High intensity interval training.

Glad I apologized in case I was being redundant. Doh!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2020, 11:19:06 PM »

Appreciate the insight! I tried interval training and it definitely helped my pace, but only to a certain extent. Once I started running over 5 or 6 miles it didn't seem to make a difference. But I'm starting to think I just wasn't giving my body enough recovery time. It's definitely valuable to mix that in.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2020, 01:31:13 AM »
I used to do Fartlek (unfortunate name) training once a week for up to 45 minutes when training for a half or full. 5 minute intervals. Essentially sprint for 4 minutes and walk for one. It was hands down the most intense cardio workout. Always did it on a treadmill so I could gauge time and speed.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »
I used to do Fartlek (unfortunate name) training once a week for up to 45 minutes when training for a half or full. 5 minute intervals. Essentially sprint for 4 minutes and walk for one. It was hands down the most intense cardio workout. Always did it on a treadmill so I could gauge time and speed.

I actually do these as a regular workout when I want to run.  This morning for about a half hour - run 400m, walk a minute, run 400m...

Not real high intensity but it gets the heart going and I find it more interesting than just running.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »

I need to work HIIT better into my routine.  I've slowed down so much the last 2 years without it.

We used to do Fartlek's in high school and our coach called them Oregons.  They were killer.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2020, 06:42:16 PM »
I generally do one tempo run, one speedwork run and one long run a week.  Sometimes I add a 4th run but I don't run real high mileage per week even when training for a marathon.  The tempo/speedwork/long run has worked well for me.  And usually the type of speedwork I do varies each week of the training plan to keep things from getting too monotonous.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2020, 10:35:22 PM »
It's looking more and more like no races until 2021 now and I'm having a bit of a hard time mentally with that.  I'm so driven by training for races. 

My trainer did give me a mix it up May routine which has helped a tad the last couple weeks with something a litle different in place of my normal speedwork - last week I did a run with 25 air squats every 1/2 mile and tonight I went and did hill repeats on the killer hill at Minooka Park with lunges in between repeats.  I was more scared of falling going back down the hill than I was bothered by running up the hill quite a few times :).  The trail running is a nice change of pace for me generally but the fall risk scares me and I have a friend who can't run for awhile after tripping on a rock on a recent trail run and breaking a bone in her foot.

feedback