[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 80582 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #525 on: May 29, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »
On Bailey, I am definitely disappointed he won't be playing for us. His loss lowers this team's ceiling (and it's floor). But as I've reflected on it, other than maybe Cain or Akanno (just because he's a giant ?), he may have been the most replaceable player on the roster. We just brought in 3 talented freshmen at this position, he was at best only few ticks better than Cain. I've long said that Cain posses more upside than anyone else on the roster. If he can finally put it all together it would do wonders for us next season.

I like Jamal.  I am rooting for him. He is incredibly athletic.  I also wouldn't count on a ton of improvement him.  His basketball IQ is very low. Hope like hell he proves me wrong, because his talent is tantalizing. 

I also don't think Bailey really plays the same position as the freshman.  Those guys are college post players in NBA wing bodies.  Bailey is a lanky guard that happens to be 6 foot 8.  I don't think Bailey would have a played much in the post next season. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #526 on: May 29, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »
Wake Forest fired Danny Manning with a $15 million dollar buyout in the middle of a pandemic. I'd be willing to bet massive amounts of $$ Wojo's buyout is nowhere close to that...so if Wake can afford $15 mill(or a large negotiated settlement) MU certainly could if necessary.

as far as we know. There may be some Kevin Ollie like "for cause" issues involved (which has been rumored). Wake also likely has more deep-pocketed donors and is a wealthier school than MU.

Don't forget that MU furloughed 250 employees, including athletics staff. There isn't a ton of money floating around to buy out a coach who *only* wins 20 games a year and pay even more for another one.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #527 on: May 29, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
Here is my list

None

That is why I am not on the fire Wojo band wagon.

Same here.

Some of the examples given are names thrown against the wall.

This is a good job, but it has led to hiring three assistants and one mid major coach of late.  Based on that history alone the people banging down our door are not who people hope. 

And Deane was fired because he could not recruit, he had off court problems, publicly ridiculed his boss at several M Club functions and the Blue and Gold Classic.  He was trending down.  Wojo fits no profile like that.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #528 on: May 29, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
Wake Forest fired Danny Manning with a $15 million dollar buyout in the middle of a pandemic. I'd be willing to bet massive amounts of $$ Wojo's buyout is nowhere close to that...so if Wake can afford $15 mill(or a large negotiated settlement) MU certainly could if necessary.

So all schools are the same, all have the same budgets, benefactor deep pockets and the like?

Manning was a disaster.  Wojo is anything but and then notion that this is even a topic is twilight zone stuff.
— Plato

muguru

• All American
« Reply #529 on: May 29, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »
So all schools are the same, all have the same budgets, benefactor deep pockets and the like?

Manning was a disaster.  Wojo is anything but and then notion that this is even a topic is twilight zone stuff.

If the only expectations you have for a Coach are to have good kids, graduate them and represent the University well, you're right, he isnt anything close to a disaster in that regard. Now, if you are okay with a Coach being below .500 in conference overall, having two late season meltdowns,pissing awaywhat should have been a conference title in one of them, not winning an NCAA tournament game in his tenure, if those are your only expectations, then yes, you're right again, he hasn't been a disaster. Congratulations.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #530 on: May 29, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
Who knows who would be BETTER than Wojo? We didn’t KNOW KO would be BETTER than Dukiet, we just knew Dukiet wasn’t doing a good enough job. We didn’t KNOW Crean would be better than Deane, we just knew Deane wasn’t doing a good enough job. And we didn’t KNOW that Buzz would be better than Wojo and Crean when he was hired.

Bottom line, you don’t usually fire a coach because you have someone in the wings who will be BETTER. You don’t KNOW the next guy will be the guy, you’re just convinced the guy you’re firing isn’t.
Couldn’t say it any better. Now wipe your nose, Cheeks
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:15:14 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #531 on: May 29, 2020, 03:14:41 PM »

The reason it is a topic is that people assert Wojo can't be replaced because MU can't afford it. That is 100% untrue and "twilight zone stuff".

Should he be replaced? Reasonable people can disagree about this.  IMO I say no right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #532 on: May 29, 2020, 03:33:11 PM »
The reason it is a topic is that people assert Wojo can't be replaced because MU can't afford it Right Now. That is 100% untrue and "twilight zone stuff".

Should he be replaced? Reasonable people can disagree about this.  IMO I say no right now.

Again, there is a difference between "can't fire right now" and "can't fire ever". I don't think I've seen anyone argue that Wojo can never be fired because of cost.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #533 on: May 29, 2020, 06:35:05 PM »
Again, there is a difference between "can't fire right now" and "can't fire ever". I don't think I've seen anyone argue that Wojo can never be fired because of cost.
Okay, but Wojo didn't get fired this year, next year he'll have 3 years left and MU should (I'd say need) make a decision so he's not recruiting players that will not be here past his contract. MU can and will cut bait with him next year if need be. This University is not poor or run by idiots.

I guess I wrongly assumed that Wojo will be here next year. If the argument is that Wojo can't be fired now, I would agree only because of the time of year. I still 100% know that MU could do it but it would be unwise. But, as I said, I don't want him fired.

It is completely pathetic to support Wojo under the belief that MU can't afford to change coaches (very NoJo) or that there is no one who could replace him. How about supporting him because you think he's good or will be good?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #534 on: May 29, 2020, 06:46:36 PM »
The reason it is a topic is that people assert Wojo can't be replaced because MU can't afford it. That is 100% untrue and "twilight zone stuff".

Who here has said he cannot ever be fired?  You also keep talking about this hostage contract situation.  Who is making that claim?  From an optics view, firing him now would be very difficult, but the school has the money if they wanted. More than likely needing some big pocket alum to assist.  I am only asking who it is that steps up to pay it?  And how is MU going to take that very dumb PR hit in a COVID world to dump a coach that is going to the NCAA tournament, seems to run a clean program?  People here begging him to leave or get fired are not paying attention to the world.
— Plato

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #535 on: May 29, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »
15 years ta judge, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #536 on: May 29, 2020, 11:54:38 PM »
Who here has said he cannot ever be fired?  You also keep talking about this hostage contract situation.  Who is making that claim?  From an optics view, firing him now would be very difficult, but the school has the money if they wanted. More than likely needing some big pocket alum to assist.  I am only asking who it is that steps up to pay it?  And how is MU going to take that very dumb PR hit in a COVID world to dump a coach that is going to the NCAA tournament, seems to run a clean program?  People here begging him to leave or get fired are not paying attention to the world.
Agreed MU can afford to get rid of Wojo.

Agreed,  no reason to fire Wojo.

The need for boosters to payout Wojo, not even close to the truth. That is a cheap slap in the face of MU's administration.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #537 on: May 30, 2020, 04:19:55 AM »
Yes and I think 3 or 4 others have.  Which means 350 others haven't.  There are always the exceptions to the rule.

Who are we hiring?  Why cannot someone throw some names that are coming here.  Who is paying the buyout and the new guy's salary, while also guaranteeing he stays 20+ years like Mark Few has since you used him in your example.  Also, are we moving to the Horizon League to have a similar setup as Gonzaga?
set your expectations higher. Your team is high level D-1 yet your expectations are mid-major.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #538 on: May 30, 2020, 06:42:35 AM »
set your expectations higher. Your team is high level D-1 yet your expectations are mid-major.

+1...now he's going to recite the same, tired old "but 300 other schools think the same way etc etc etc".

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #539 on: May 30, 2020, 06:46:19 AM »
If the only expectations you have for a Coach are to have good kids, graduate them and represent the University well, you're right, he isnt anything close to a disaster in that regard. Now, if you are okay with a Coach being below .500 in conference overall, having two late season meltdowns,pissing awaywhat should have been a conference title in one of them, not winning an NCAA tournament game in his tenure, if those are your only expectations, then yes, you're right again, he hasn't been a disaster. Congratulations.

Take a walk and take a break from the boards.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #540 on: May 30, 2020, 07:21:58 AM »
Take a walk and take a break from the boards.

Okay, I took the walk, any big MU news happen while I was gone?? Get a commit, schedule news?? Anything?? Oh...I guess not. Keep waiting and waiting and waiting...nothing. If I/we had real MU news to discuss, we wouldn't have to talk about things like this.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #541 on: May 30, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
Marquette didn't get a verbal until July 24th last year.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:27:51 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #542 on: May 30, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »

My expectations are set high.  Some of you remind me of the types that run around saying Marquette is a great academic school.  We are a good academic school with some great and some average programs.  We are a good basketball program that has had great and average periods.
— Plato

muguru

• All American
« Reply #543 on: May 30, 2020, 09:14:17 AM »
Marquette didn't get a verbal until July 24th last year.

Correct, but these are different times..more top 150's have already committed earlier than at anytime in history. was hoping MU would have gotten one by now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #544 on: May 30, 2020, 09:34:14 AM »

The need for boosters to payout Wojo, not even close to the truth. That is a cheap slap in the face of MU's administration.
I am not sure I agree with this, especially in this Covid environment. MU basketball might lose a lot of money this year. Stock market and economic down turn is likely to be reflected in overall donations received. I am sure Blue and Gold fund has money, but that is suppose to be for scholarships.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #545 on: May 30, 2020, 10:42:26 AM »
I am not sure I agree with this, especially in this Covid environment. MU basketball might lose a lot of money this year. Stock market and economic down turn is likely to be reflected in overall donations received. I am sure Blue and Gold fund has money, but that is suppose to be for scholarships.
IF we were to assume this is true,  Wojo is our guy because we can't afford to get rid of him? That is sad for Wojo and MU.

I don't want him fired. But to think he has a job because MU was too stupid with their finances is pathetic.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
For someone who repeatedly says that he doesn't want Wojo fired right now, it seems strange to continue to dig in with your argument that the University could afford to fire him.  If you don't want him fired, and you also understand the fact that he's not going to be fired before next season, why continue with this?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #547 on: May 30, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
For someone who repeatedly says that he doesn't want Wojo fired right now, it seems strange to continue to dig in with your argument that the University could afford to fire him.  If you don't want him fired, and you also understand the fact that he's not going to be fired before next season, why continue with this?
Because I don't like people denigrating my school.  MU is a great school and not run by a bunch of idiots like those people like to claim.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #548 on: May 30, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »
Because I don't like people denigrating my school.  MU is a great school and not run by a bunch of idiots like those people like to claim.

Now granted I haven't read every comment because I have some Chicos on ignore, but I don't think I've seen anyone say that the administration or BOT are "idiots". 

I'm just saying it seems like a bit of a contradictory argument saying that you don't want him fired, but the University could fire him.  Since he's not going to be fired (at least this year), why do you care? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #549 on: May 30, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »
IF we were to assume this is true,  Wojo is our guy because we can't afford to get rid of him? That is sad for Wojo and MU.

I don't want him fired. But to think he has a job because MU was too stupid with their finances is pathetic.

Stop acting like Marquette University should've known and prepared for a worldwide pandemic.  This isn't unique to Marquette University.  Marquette is in a very tough spot.  So are all similar schools.  It has nothing to do with Wojo, his contract, his buyout, or anything else.

Schools, budgets, programs, staff, etc. are being cut all over the place.  Students are expected back on campus for the fall semester, but nobody knows for sure that that's going to happen.  And if it doesn't it's a huge problem for colleges.

I don't know what's hard to understand about this.  It's happening in all sectors all over the world.  I guess the virus is exposing the fact that idiots run the world.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:12:38 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback