[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "The Last Dance" open thread  (Read 22372 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
Re: "The Last Dance" open thread
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 11:11:43 AM »
The criticism that this has all largely been reported before, i.e. "nothing is new" seems to me a bit like watching Ken Burns' "The Civil War" and complaining that you already know how the story ends.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2020, 11:58:23 AM »
The criticism that this has all largely been reported before, i.e. "nothing is new" seems to me a bit like watching Ken Burns' "The Civil War" and complaining that you already know how the story ends.

Over the years, I've been riveted by quite a few ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries where I knew how the story ends.  Hell, I've even watched some more than once -- so not only did I know how the story ends, I knew how the 30 for 30 episode told the story.  They were captivating story telling and extremely well done.

I just didn't find last night's episodes of The Last Dance particularly interesting and they didn't hold my attention.  I'm not saying it was bad, it just didn't capture me.  I'm still planning to watch again next week, and I hope that I like those episodes more.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »

Brother Pakuni:

I hear you. But I'd also note that unlike the Civil War, all of the details are for the most part still fresh and still a part of day-to-day life. Do this in another 20 or 30 years and I might agree.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2020, 08:41:14 PM »
I feel like I’m in the prime demographic. I was around 9 for this season and was a big MJ fan, but I didn’t really know some of what was going on. For me it was the playoffs, NBA on NBC, and going to Bucks games.  I didn’t realize Pippen demanded a trade. Really enjoyed the first two episodes.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2020, 02:09:04 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2020, 12:58:05 PM »
I feel like I’m in the prime demographic. I was around 9 for this season and was a big MJ fan, but I didn’t really know some of what was going on. For me it was the playoffs, NBA on NBC, and going to Bucks games.  I didn’t realize Pippen demanded a trade. Really enjoyed the first two episodes.

Same. I was 12 in 1998. Even though I was a Wisconsin kid, I watched every Bulls game on WGN Superstation (I couldn't even get all the Bucks games on TV back then), completely in awe of Michael Jordan. I knew every player on that roster by heart (still do).

But I had no idea of the stuff going on on the background. This is really fascinating to me and I am enjoying it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
Absolutely smoked the OJ documentary

https://deadline.com/2020/04/michael-jordan-last-dance-ratings-espn-strong-1202912937/

Meaningless, though. There were other options for sports when the OJ doc was on.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 04:32:46 PM »
Same. I was 12 in 1998. Even though I was a Wisconsin kid, I watched every Bulls game on WGN Superstation (I couldn't even get all the Bucks games on TV back then), completely in awe of Michael Jordan. I knew every player on that roster by heart (still do).

But I had no idea of the stuff going on on the background. This is really fascinating to me and I am enjoying it.

You (and Cheebs, among others) saw the finished product.

What you missed over his first half dozen years in the league was the elite athlete. MJ is still the greatest athlete in NBA history.

First time I saw him live was during the '84 Olympic team exhibition schedule against NBA all-stars. The actual reason I went to the game was to see Terry Cummings who had just been traded to the Bucks. Still yet to play in the NBA, MJ stole the show. Within two minutes, everyone in the crowd knew he was better than any of the NBA stars.

Jordan was one of those rare players that when he got the ball in the open floor, the entire crowd stood up - both at home and on the road. Nobody wanted to miss what might happen next. Only two other guys I saw that with were Dr. J and Connie Hawkins.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
You (and Cheebs, among others) saw the finished product.

What you missed over his first half dozen years in the league was the elite athlete. MJ is still the greatest athlete in NBA history.

First time I saw him live was during the '84 Olympic team exhibition schedule against NBA all-stars. The actual reason I went to the game was to see Terry Cummings who had just been traded to the Bucks. Still yet to play in the NBA, MJ stole the show. Within two minutes, everyone in the crowd knew he was better than any of the NBA stars.

Jordan was one of those rare players that when he got the ball in the open floor, the entire crowd stood up - both at home and on the road. Nobody wanted to miss what might happen next. Only two other guys I saw that with were Dr. J and Connie Hawkins.

You're right of course, but there is no comparison to being 10 years old and watching the Bulls go 72-10. At that age everything is pure magic. I can still remember going to school the next morning and talking all day about last night's game with my friends.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2020, 09:57:14 AM »
You're right of course, but there is no comparison to being 10 years old and watching the Bulls go 72-10. At that age everything is pure magic. I can still remember going to school the next morning and talking all day about last night's game with my friends.

Absolutely.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »
Pistons Bad Boy fan.   I believe ALLLLLLL the bad stuff.     ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
I enjoyed it. Looking forward to 3 & 4.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »
As a kid who grew up in Illinois and worshipped the Bulls, I can't wait for this

As a kid who grew up worshipping the Bad Boys and surrounded by bandwagon Bulls fans, my wife (who also worshipped the Bad Boys) and I will not be watching this.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2020, 07:05:08 PM »
As a kid who grew up worshipping the Bad Boys and surrounded by bandwagon Bulls fans, my wife (who also worshipped the Bad Boys) and I will not be watching this.
Anyone who could worship Bill Laimbeer is mind boggling. Same with Rodman. In fact, I stopped being a Bulls fan when they signed him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 07:13:27 PM »
Anyone who could worship Bill Laimbeer is mind boggling. Same with Rodman. In fact, I stopped being a Bulls fan when they signed him.

You speak harshly of my heroes.     Laimbeer was like AJ Pierzynki.    When he was on your team and playing well, you loved him.   And you loved watching him wreck other teams and drive their fanbases insane.    Rodman, when he came in the league and before he went nuts, was actually a hell of a story.    Phenomenal one-on-one defender and rebounder.    Able to guard 5 positions.    The kind of player every good team would love.   Also infuriating to other teams and their fanbases.   
     I pulled up 'Jordan rules' on youtube and showed my 13 year old how to stop Michael Jordan.    Even he could see the difference in how the officiating allowed defense to be played then versus now.     If they called the games in the 80's and 90's like they do now, Michael would have averaged 40.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2020, 07:37:50 PM »
In the mid '90s I was a partial season ticket holder for the Bucks.  God they were terrible at that time, but even though I rooted for the Bucks (and still do) I always respected the Bulls.  Basically, I feel like those Bulls teams carried the NBA in the '90s.  If it wasn't for them, the NBA would have been rudderless.

If nothing else, it's fun to reminisce about the guys who were pretty close to my age.  I was a few years younger than Pippen/Jordan, but around the same age as Longley/Kukoc so the '90s were sort of "my" era. I like this series so far, brings back good memories of my 20s even though I wasn't a Bulls fan.  The Bulls of the '90s weren't just a great basketball team, they were sort of a cultural phenomenon.  Guys like Jordan and Rodman were celebrities beyond the game and then you had an international flavor added to it with Longley/Kukoc.  It will be hard to ever duplicate that phenomenon completely.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
Laimbeer and Zeke have still not overcome their bitterness of taking a back seat to the Bulls during that era.

Look at any interview those two guys do nowadays, they’re still salty and will use any opportunity to rip MJ and the Bulls.

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2020, 07:46:12 PM »
Laimbeer and Zeke have still not overcome their bitterness of taking a back seat to the Bulls during that era.

Look at any interview those two guys do nowadays, they’re still salty and will use any opportunity to rip MJ and the Bulls.

That's pretty low of them.  Heck, they had their own little mini-dynasty, they made their own mark on the NBA and you'd think they'd just be proud of that and not need to trash anyone else.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2020, 07:48:26 PM »
They've been overlooked sitting between the Celtics/Lakers era and the Bulls era.  And rightfully so. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2020, 08:00:18 PM »

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2020, 08:11:36 PM »
They've been overlooked sitting between the Celtics/Lakers era and the Bulls era.  And rightfully so.

Agreed.  And frankly I'm glad their brand of basketball didn't become the norm.  The early to mid '90s Knicks tried to be like them but were less talented. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2020, 01:00:56 AM »

Rodman, before he went insane, was like a kid on the court and a totally different person than he was with San Antonio and the Bulls.  Hustle, enthusiasm, passion, he was awesome during the title runs. The tears when he won DPOY in 1990 were real and left an impression on so many young cagers.

Laimbeer, well, he was our guy. My favorite was Dumars, the quiet assassin.

Jordan felt the need to trash the Pistons and disrespect their accomplishments. Thus the bitterness. Having to overcome the Celtics and Lakers, and being jobbed in game 6 in 1988, made those titles so sweet. Then to have Jordan whine that they were to physical (while still scoring 105+ per game) and him screwing Zeke out of them Team spot he earned, turned me anti-Bulls and Jordan for good.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2020, 07:49:25 AM »
Rodman, before he went insane, was like a kid on the court and a totally different person than he was with San Antonio and the Bulls.  Hustle, enthusiasm, passion, he was awesome during the title runs. The tears when he won DPOY in 1990 were real and left an impression on so many young cagers.

Laimbeer, well, he was our guy. My favorite was Dumars, the quiet assassin.

Jordan felt the need to trash the Pistons and disrespect their accomplishments. Thus the bitterness. Having to overcome the Celtics and Lakers, and being jobbed in game 6 in 1988, made those titles so sweet. Then to have Jordan whine that they were to physical (while still scoring 105+ per game) and him screwing Zeke out of them Team spot he earned, turned me anti-Bulls and Jordan for good.

Because the Pistons were nothing but classy, respectful, good sports to the Bulls and everyone else.  :o
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter