[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "The Last Dance" open thread  (Read 22380 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
"The Last Dance" open thread
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:33:59 AM »
Like anyone is going to be doing anything else tomorrow at 8:00...

🏀

• All American
Re: "The Last Dance" open thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 07:07:04 AM »
Pretty much the highlight of the spring.

Let’s. Go.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »
What is the all-time, most-watched ESPN (non-live-sports) telecast?

Given the hype and the fact that there's nothing else sports-related for folks to watch, this has a chance to break all records.

I'm looking forward to it. I have a lot of memories of that season, and I am very curious to see how it's all presented.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »
Alweys luved Donna Summer's voice, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 02:09:57 PM »

Given the hype and the fact that there's nothing else sports-related for folks to watch, this has a chance to break all records.

I'm looking forward to it. I have a lot of memories of that season, and I am very curious to see how it's all presented.

Will we see a young MU82 patrolling the Bulls locker room for a quote?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 02:42:40 PM »

The OJ doc has to be up there right?

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 05:48:19 PM »
As a kid who grew up in Illinois and worshipped the Bulls, I can't wait for this
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 06:28:38 PM »
I wish Michael Jordan's restaurant (the OG one) was still open so I could order from there while I watch this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
Hearing Jordan may have been a fan of the booger sugar. We’ll see what comes out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »
Krause would be in the Hall of Fame if not for his ego. Should be there anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 08:36:11 PM »
Krause would be in the Hall of Fame if not for his ego. Should be there anyway.

Pippin was a stroke of genius. Lots of other solid moves along the way (Grant, Cartwright, Kukoc, Rodman, etc.,)

On the minus side, his rebuild efforts were a disaster.

But he still should be in the Hall.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 08:49:01 PM »
My old boss at the Bulls Joe O’Neil makes an appearance!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 10:29:58 PM »
Jordan = GOAT

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 10:33:09 PM »
Dibs on Traveling Cocaine Circus as the name for my fantasy football team.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 10:46:41 PM »
Honestly, for most of the country, this may have been exciting. But for anyone who was an adult (or near adult) in Chicago from 1980 until the Last Dance, nothing is new.

The constant beating on Jerry Krause was a bit much. Krause was Reisdorf's bad cop and he wasn't a bad general manager. There's some truth to the "organizations win championships," comment because the organization has to put a team on the court worthy of the talent Jordan was.

What an organization can do was evident when the Bulls made their first playoff run in Jordan's second year. Jordan put up fantastic numbers against the Celtics, but the Bulls lost. When Krause got Scottie Pippin, Cartwright, et al and later, Rodman, he put a team together that could win.

And it was Pippin who signed that ridiculously stupid deal that left him badly underpaid. He had no one to blame but his agent and himself.

Overall, a C+ production. Way too choppy and spent too much of the second show focused on Jordan rather than Pippin.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 10:56:35 PM »
Honestly, for most of the country, this may have been exciting. But for anyone who was an adult (or near adult) in Chicago from 1980 until the Last Dance, nothing is new.

The constant beating on Jerry Krause was a bit much. Krause was Reisdorf's bad cop and he wasn't a bad general manager. There's some truth to the "organizations win championships," comment because the organization has to put a team on the court worthy of the talent Jordan was.

What an organization can do was evident when the Bulls made their first playoff run in Jordan's second year. Jordan put up fantastic numbers against the Celtics, but the Bulls lost. When Krause got Scottie Pippin, Cartwright, et al and later, Rodman, he put a team together that could win.

And it was Pippin who signed that ridiculously stupid deal that left him badly underpaid. He had no one to blame but his agent and himself.

Overall, a C+ production. Way too choppy and spent too much of the second show focused on Jordan rather than Pippin.

::)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 06:35:31 AM »
When are the next episodes?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 06:47:21 AM »
When are the next episodes?

Next Sunday.

MU connection, Wes Matthews was on the “Traveling Cocaine Circus.”

Agree that a lot of it is review, but a lot of it is stuff I haven’t thought about in 20+ years.

Also, Reinsdorf is lucky that Krause has passed away, as he rolls the bus over him.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 07:07:07 AM »

Gotta admit, I'm not far off your opinion.  I'd give it something better than C+, but I also thought it was really scattershot and didn't tread any particularly new ground.  I'll still watch...but I wasn't overly impressed with last night's episodes.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 07:44:02 AM »

Yes.  ESPN shouldn't have devoted 10 hours to the most iconic sports figure of the last half-century, but to the second best player on the team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 08:09:06 AM »
Pippin was a stroke of genius. Lots of other solid moves along the way (Grant, Cartwright, Kukoc, Rodman, etc.,)

On the minus side, his rebuild efforts were a disaster.

But he still should be in the Hall.

Yeah they were a disaster.  And way too premature.  He should have just rode it out until it didn't work, but he didn't have the ego to do that.

Unfortunately he's no longer alive for us to hear his current point of view.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 09:09:41 AM »

Yeah they were a disaster.  And way too premature.  He should have just rode it out until it didn't work, but he didn't have the ego to do that.

Unfortunately he's no longer alive for us to hear his current point of view.

I’ll look for it, but I heard an interview with Krause before he died. It might have been on Richard Deitsch’s podcast. It was interesting. I may re-listen to it based on The Last Dance. I believe he defended his decisions by it being money driven and people being ready to move on.

It was with Woj. I think I listened to it last year, so my synopsis might not be right, but below is the link.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/826787212423475201?s=21
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:09:30 AM by cheebs09 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »

Yes.  ESPN shouldn't have devoted 10 hours to the most iconic sports figure of the last half-century, but to the second best player on the team.

Brother Fluff:

No doubt Jordan was someone special in the game of basketball. Also, no doubt he is a global icon in a way no other US sports figure has been, to date.

But gee, one also can argue that he is one of the most over-exposed sports celebrities I've ever seen. When he was with the Bulls, he couldn't go to the bathroom without a horde of reporters following him. His every move, from gambling habits to divorce, has been over-exposed by the media.

He's also one of the most financially savvy of athletes I've ever seen. The man is about making money, which I admire. He was shrewd enough to retain control over his image for so long that he had control over when all of this was released. I admire his ability to do that, but geez, is there anything about Jordan we don't already know?

Ask Brother MU. He knows!

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
Brother Fluff:

No doubt Jordan was someone special in the game of basketball. Also, no doubt he is a global icon in a way no other US sports figure has been, to date.

But gee, one also can argue that he is one of the most over-exposed sports celebrities I've ever seen. When he was with the Bulls, he couldn't go to the bathroom without a horde of reporters following him. His every move, from gambling habits to divorce, has been over-exposed by the media.

He's also one of the most financially savvy of athletes I've ever seen. The man is about making money, which I admire. He was shrewd enough to retain control over his image for so long that he had control over when all of this was released. I admire his ability to do that, but geez, is there anything about Jordan we don't already know?

Ask Brother MU. He knows!

We?  Not really.  It was pure nostalgia.

My twenty-something year old kids?  Yeah, there was a lot they don't know.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 09:45:28 AM »
We are 20% of the way through the series. The first two episodes were giving people the background. Even as a diehard basketball fan I’m personally glad they did. I’m guessing there is some juicer content to come.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter