[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jalen Green/New G League  (Read 10243 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Jalen Green/New G League
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »
I wonder about small letter clauses in these contracts. Hope they retained decent lawyers / accountant or management firm that can do all. My guess is after expenses / taxes they end up with a net of 150k. Much better than college, but I hope they know how much they're getting.

I don’t know. LSU pays straight cash, and I doubt they’re alone.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
Cronin needs to learn when to cut his losses.  Shouldn't have invested so many resources into the kid.

Well done. I chuckled.

Oh ... and teal was totally unnecessary!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
;D
Goal is National Championship

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »

#strongassoffer

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2020, 06:10:02 PM »
#strongassoffer

I read this as "strong gas offer."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »

Gary Parrish

@GaryParrishCBS
·
1m

Five-star point guard Daishen Nix is skipping college to join the same G League program Jalen Green and Isaiah Todd are joining. He was committed to UCLA.

I guess UCLA got Nixed.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2020, 05:36:08 AM »
I'll be honest, this sort of decision baffles me. I guess if you really hate school and just don't want to go to class, I understand that logic, but the ability to build a brand, develop a fanbase, gain exposure to mainstream fans, and be treated like a star is much higher at the collegiate level.

No one watches these games. They don't draw fans. It's more likely you will hurt than help your draft stock. And instead of flying private to top notch venues, you'll be taking a bus to backwater towns. I don't see any way this is sustainable long term.

Agree with you that no one watches these games. It's hard to top the excitement of college basketball. It'll be interesting to see how long the "NBA" minor league lasts.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2020, 07:14:19 AM »
I think we have all just learned how much at least one shoe company is willing to pay a top player.  Now they get to do it in a totally legal and aboveboard manner.  This is great for the NCAA AND great for the NBA and in reality is probably just a transition until 18's can get drafted again. 

Even before coronavirus, have you seen some of the crap on ESPN lately?  I'd much rather watch G league than SEC softball or the turkish tennis classic veterans D tour event.  A team that fields 5 of the top 18 year olds in the USA against a national team preparing for the Olympics?  Hell yeah, I'd watch that!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2020, 08:15:04 AM »
I read this as "strong gas offer."

"I'll pay you $37/barrel to take this off my hands"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
Jonathan Kuminga, No. 1 recruit of 2021, reclassifies to 2020 and takes G-League $$$

https://theathletic.com/1931656/2020/07/15/top-2021-high-school-prospect-jonathan-kuminga-explains-his-g-league-decision/?source=dailyemail

It's behind a paywall, but here's a few paragraphs to give the overall gist ...

Kuminga recently graduated early from The Patrick High School in Hillside, N.J., and is now a potential No. 1 overall pick candidate for the 2021 NBA Draft. His deal in the G League will be worth approximately $500,000.

“I don’t see myself as a high school player again,” Kuminga said. “The G League will help me more than how college was going to help me on being the player I want to be right now, and going pro. They’re going to help me on everything; my skills and developing my body.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2020, 09:08:58 AM »
I would too. No guarantee there's gonna be a college season and only more likely that he's facing top talent that's essentially now redshirted a year in college.

Someone remind me though, the GLeague program these young players are going to doesn't actually play games right? It essentially coddles them for a year because they believe they'll make it as pros?
Maigh Eo for Sam

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2020, 09:36:49 AM »
I would too. No guarantee there's gonna be a college season and only more likely that he's facing top talent that's essentially now redshirted a year in college.

Someone remind me though, the GLeague program these young players are going to doesn't actually play games right? It essentially coddles them for a year because they believe they'll make it as pros?

As I understand it, the young guys will all be put on the same team, based in Los Angeles, possibly in Kobe's facility.  Kuminga is the fifth addition to the roster.

In addition to the young guys, the Select team will bring in a few veteran players to play alongside of and "mentor" them.  Might be a first step for those guys into coaching.

Former NBA player and coach, Brian Shaw, will be the Select Team's head coach.  It sounds like they also will bring in a few others with pro playing and coaching experience.  Sam Mitchell has been mentioned.

I haven't seen a schedule, but it sounded like they plan to play about 10 games against G-League teams.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:43:21 AM by oldwarrior81 »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2020, 10:11:18 AM »
I wonder about small letter clauses in these contracts. Hope they retained decent lawyers / accountant or management firm that can do all. My guess is after expenses / taxes they end up with a net of 150k. Much better than college, but I hope they know how much they're getting.

You missed the part of a full ride scholarship to anywhere they can get into if and when they decide to go.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2020, 10:15:00 AM »

Under the table cash is tax free. Makes paying taxes on NBA salaries a shock.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
"I'll pay you $37/barrel to take this off my hands"
Thats oil u mope
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »
I think this is good for college basketball.  Create some stability if there are less one and dones.  For every Zion who captures the country, there's a dozen Anthony Edwards, Henry Ellensons, Deandre Ayton, Markelle Fultz who don't make a dent nationally and only serve to stall their team's progress.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2020, 10:51:23 AM »
There sure are a lot of #1 ranked players.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2020, 11:54:18 AM »
I think this is good for college basketball.  Create some stability if there are less one and dones.  For every Zion who captures the country, there's a dozen Anthony Edwards, Henry Ellensons, Deandre Ayton, Markelle Fultz who don't make a dent nationally and only serve to stall their team's progress.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback