[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 370659 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2125 on: March 31, 2021, 05:59:16 PM »
That's overrated - you can get that from AT&T.  The ability to crush rocks with my bare hand however - that's cool.

I like the x-ray vision.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2126 on: April 01, 2021, 08:25:25 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pfizer-says-trials-suggest-covid-vaccine-works-against-south-african-n1262710

Little bit of a mixed bag. Works against the variants, only lasts 6 months. So we'll be doing this whole dance again in the fall.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2127 on: April 01, 2021, 08:49:29 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pfizer-says-trials-suggest-covid-vaccine-works-against-south-african-n1262710

Little bit of a mixed bag. Works against the variants, only lasts 6 months. So we'll be doing this whole dance again in the fall.

Note the second to last sentence is not correct.  They don't know how long the duration lasts, but have proved that it lasts 6 months.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2128 on: April 01, 2021, 08:53:55 AM »
Note the second to last sentence is not correct.  They don't know how long the duration lasts, but have proved that it lasts 6 months.

Right - and the following is *just a guess*.  But, we're likely going to need booster shots for the next few years (ala the flu), but if the world can  eliminate the virus with vaccines/herd immunity over that time, there's a small chance we can claim "we won".  But more likely, we're all gonna need a booster shot every year or two.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2129 on: April 01, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »

Right - and the following is *just a guess*.  But, we're likely going to need booster shots for the next few years (ala the flu), but if the world can  eliminate the virus with vaccines/herd immunity over that time, there's a small chance we can claim "we won".  But more likely, we're all gonna need a booster shot every year or two.

I think you're right...and I'll elaborate with a prediction based on the two alternatives:

1 - Enough people get vaccinated over the next couple of years to achieve true herd immunity. If that happens, we can limit spread and the development of new variants. In this scenario, I predict we will all (worldwide) need a subsequent booster or two...but after that, boosters will be mostly limited to higher risk groups, like we do with the flu.

2 - We don't achieve herd immunity because of vaccine hesitancy, so the spread continues and new variants continue to emerge regularly. In this scenario, I predict we will continue to chase variants until they are so out of control that everyone needs a shot just to keep up. Regular boosters become a way of life for everyone, and not just higher risk groups.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: April 01, 2021, 11:35:21 AM »

I think you're right...and I'll elaborate with a prediction based on the two alternatives:

1 - Enough people get vaccinated over the next couple of years to achieve true herd immunity. If that happens, we can limit spread and the development of new variants. In this scenario, I predict we will all (worldwide) need a subsequent booster or two...but after that, boosters will be mostly limited to higher risk groups, like we do with the flu.

2 - We don't achieve herd immunity because of vaccine hesitancy, so the spread continues and new variants continue to emerge regularly. In this scenario, I predict we will continue to chase variants until they are so out of control that everyone needs a shot just to keep up. Regular boosters become a way of life for everyone, and not just higher risk groups.

Whatever it takes.

BTW, I get my second Moderna dose tomorrow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2131 on: April 01, 2021, 11:49:29 AM »
I heard on the radio that Moderna is working on a combo flu/ Covid shot.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2132 on: April 01, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »
I heard on the radio that Moderna is working on a combo flu/ Covid shot.

And then Trump will be right about a Flu shot working to take care of Covid!
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2133 on: April 01, 2021, 12:00:25 PM »

Good. I was worried the pharma companies were not going to profit hugely off this

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2134 on: April 01, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
This is incredibly good news...if the trend holds.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1377724968893624331?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2135 on: April 01, 2021, 04:13:00 PM »
This is incredibly good news...if the trend holds.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1377724968893624331?s=20

Vaccinating almost 80% of American adults by July 4th would be a remarkable accomplishment. The production delays and issues with the rollout have been ironed out incredibly well, given the scale of the operation. At this point, my biggest concern is people refusing the vaccine. I hope Americans pull together and roll up their sleeves.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2136 on: April 01, 2021, 06:57:42 PM »
Dose #2 of Moderna tomorrow!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2137 on: April 01, 2021, 08:49:42 PM »
Currently ~30 hours past dose 2 of Pfizer. Only a bit of arm soreness and very minor fatigue.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2138 on: April 01, 2021, 08:50:50 PM »
Dose #2 of Moderna tomorrow!

Congratulations! Hope your side effects are minimal (or non-existent).

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2139 on: April 03, 2021, 01:14:34 PM »
Got my first vaccine today.  Somehow managed to get my younger daughter in also. 
Pfizer vaccine for both of us.

My wife got her second Moderna on Thursday and has been lethargic yesterday and today so far.

Older daughter home for Easter weekend and she scheduled the J&J vaccine for this Wednesday when she's back on the Xavier campus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2140 on: April 03, 2021, 06:15:02 PM »
As of today, the US reached a new record seven-day average of 3 million COVID vaccinations per day. It is astonishing how far we have come in a few weeks. I hope this keeps up throughout the spring and summer.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/03/covid-vaccinations-hit-another-record-average-now-above-3-million-daily.html

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: April 03, 2021, 06:39:58 PM »
As of today, the US reached a new record seven-day average of 3 million COVID vaccinations per day. It is astonishing how far we have come in a few weeks. I hope this keeps up throughout the spring and summer.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/03/covid-vaccinations-hit-another-record-average-now-above-3-million-daily.html

That's really good.  It's only about 100 days ago when the first shots went into the arms of nurses in the Covid units across the country.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2142 on: April 04, 2021, 06:09:58 AM »

I am 74 and applied Feb 1, 2021 on the NJ state website to schedule my vaccine shots at my local hospital which is 10 minutes away. I was just notified that I could make an appointment but the site is 70 miles from my home. I'm still waiting which is OK because I know I'll eventually get it, but to say people my age are a priority is not true.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: April 04, 2021, 06:16:21 AM »
I am 74 and applied Feb 1, 2021 on the NJ state website to schedule my vaccine shots at my local hospital which is 10 minutes away. I was just notified that I could make an appointment but the site is 70 miles from my home. I'm still waiting which is OK because I know I'll eventually get it, but to say people my age are a priority is not true.

Where in Jersey are you?

Have you looked into signing up at a pharmacy hundreds of appointments available statewide.

https://www.vaccinespotter.org/NJ/

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2144 on: April 04, 2021, 07:54:01 AM »
It looks there are a couple of vaccine hunter FB groups for New Jersey. Just looking at one now, one poster mentioned that her brother signed up with the state on January 14 and still hasn’t been notified of anything either, but in the meantime went elsewhere.
Based on the questions, very similar to the Chicago group in terms of the problems being raised.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2145 on: April 04, 2021, 08:07:54 AM »
I think what states are seeing is that the pharmacies, after some initial screw ups, are really doing a great job at getting shots into arms.  So states are allocating a bunch of vaccine to those pharmacies.  I have no idea what is going on in New Jersey, but I think a lot of places who thought they were going to have a lot of shots to distribute, aren't getting as many.  But that's because others are getting a lot more and doing a good job with them.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2146 on: April 04, 2021, 08:27:17 AM »
Had Moderna #2 about 48 hours ago.

Felt sore and blah, with a lingering headache, most of yesterday, but felt better as the day went on. Enjoyed Gonzaga-UCLA last night, got a decent night of sleep and feel quite good today. Arm's still sore, but otherwise nothing terrible.

Better than I had hoped for given some of the horror stories. And much better than the day after my second shingles shot last year -- when I felt like I had been run over by a truck, which then backed up and ran me over again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2147 on: April 04, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »

No where in that article did it say the vaccine losses its strength after 6 months. In fact, it states the opposite.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2148 on: April 04, 2021, 09:35:49 AM »

I think what states are seeing is that the pharmacies, after some initial screw ups, are really doing a great job at getting shots into arms.  So states are allocating a bunch of vaccine to those pharmacies.  I have no idea what is going on in New Jersey, but I think a lot of places who thought they were going to have a lot of shots to distribute, aren't getting as many.  But that's because others are getting a lot more and doing a good job with them.

That's what seems to have happened here in MN.

I assumed that major healthcare systems like Mayo Clinic would get the bulk of the shots. And that was true for the first few weeks when they were vaccinating healthcare workers and nursing home residents. When they got beyond that, the bulk switched to pharmacies. I was on the waiting list at Mayo, but got my shot much earlier through a small local pharmacy.

I am now four days past my second shot. If I had waited for Mayo to call, I'd still be waiting for the first.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2149 on: April 04, 2021, 10:24:41 AM »
Walgreens at least here in Illinois seems to have one glitch after another though.
Supply seems to be opening up though, at least until everyone becomes eligible statewide next week. The mass vax sites up in the Chicago area are filling almost as fast as they open.

feedback