collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)  (Read 122984 times)

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Re: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 07:40:18 AM »
Ivermectin emerging as a treatment option. Early case reports & research studies showing a lot of promise.

Ivermectin already in use in humans for a range of ailments including roundworms, head lice, & other parasitic infections.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7129059/

In the above article, note the proposed mechanisms of action including the inhibition of coronavirus "cargo proteins" from entry into the nucleus of the host cell. Many RNA viruses do require entry of some elements into the nucleus for proper assembly as well as inhibition of other cellular processes (explained in article below).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5445102/

Another report of physicians utilizing ivermectin (a news story for those not interested in the science):

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/local-doctor-tries-new-coronavirus-drug-treatment/2219465/

More articles & a few more studies available... Google-able.

Ivermectin is a widely available & extremely inexpensive generic drug.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2020, 07:53:02 AM »
Great.  I support all of the hard work being done to develop reliable, effective treatment paths.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2020, 07:53:24 AM »
...being widely available, generic, & cheap means we perhaps won't hear much about it as most pharmaceutical companies are pursuing research on new drugs they can corner the market on.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
Ivermectin emerging as a treatment option. Early case reports & research studies showing a lot of promise.

Ivermectin already in use in humans for a range of ailments including roundworms, head lice, & other parasitic infections.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7129059/

In the above article, note the proposed mechanisms of action including the inhibition of coronavirus "cargo proteins" from entry into the nucleus of the host cell. Many RNA viruses do require entry of some elements into the nucleus for proper assembly as well as inhibition of other cellular processes (explained in article below).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5445102/

Another report of physicians utilizing ivermectin (a news story for those not interested in the science):

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/local-doctor-tries-new-coronavirus-drug-treatment/2219465/

More articles & a few more studies available... Google-able.

Ivermectin is a widely available & extremely inexpensive generic drug.
What is the timeframe for all of the potential drugs being tested? Over 100 are in trial studies currently, but assuming one or more of those bear out to be useful in combatting COVID-19, how long does a trial typically run and then how long before a treatment can be put into widespread use?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2020, 12:29:19 PM »
What is the timeframe for all of the potential drugs being tested? Over 100 are in trial studies currently, but assuming one or more of those bear out to be useful in combatting COVID-19, how long does a trial typically run and then how long before a treatment can be put into widespread use?

Depends on the results. If they started using any of these and saw rapid and obvious benefits. They would end the trials very quickly and put this into wide use.

More typically, you see limited if any benefit, that means you need large numbers to determine if there is really a statistically significant benefit. And you need more time to make sure that any statistically significant benefit, outweighs any immediate, or longer-term risks. Similarly, you need broad patient scope to make sure it isn't deleterious to specific populations. Those take much longer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2020, 03:33:02 PM »
Taking it from the test tube to humans and then figuring out dosage takes time.    This drug, if effective, has already been tested on humans and the side effects have been figured out.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 03:59:37 PM »
Taking it from the test tube to humans and then figuring out dosage takes time.    This drug, if effective, has already been tested on humans and the side effects have been figured out.

Yep. There’s a HUGE difference in timeframe between a totally new drug and an existing drug being tested for a new use.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2020, 04:06:56 PM »
In all seriousness, a drug like this is the dream silver bullet.     Already produced in generic form, already safe for human use with limited side effects.    If, for the sake of argument, it is shown over the next few weeks to be as effective in humans as in the test tube, it will get mortality down to a level similar to influenza and it will be game on.      So, go science.   

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »
In all seriousness, a drug like this is the dream silver bullet.     Already produced in generic form, already safe for human use with limited side effects.    If, for the sake of argument, it is shown over the next few weeks to be as effective in humans as in the test tube, it will get mortality down to a level similar to influenza and it will be game on.      So, go science.   

I absolutely hope that something like this works, but I will caution.

I have seen numerous times, diabetes, and alzheimers/parkinsons etc. completely cured in mice. I mean it is gone, no medication needed ever again. It then doesn't translate over to us. The jump going from cells to animal is huge, going from animals to humans also significant.

The approach though of looking for already approved drugs that work in patients is truly the dream and silver bullet, and we need to continue to encourage the science, and study of these molecules.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
If I find myself in this situation and they say we can put you in a control group or one with this treatment, my hope is that I receive the treatment.  There are risks for all drugs.

Yale University school of medicine has the following guidance.  Are they part of the clinical trials underway?  The drug is recommended to be used.

https://medicine.yale.edu/intmed/COVID-19%20TREATMENT%20ADULT%20Algorithm%204.3.20_382832_5_v2.pdf

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2020, 02:34:26 AM »

As I'm sure you're already aware there is an endless amount of nuance to that answer but I think we will have much better data AND put into use within weeks.

IMO, China is well ahead of us in the realm of treatments & that is perhaps a primary (& underreported) reason they have seemed to miraculously improve. IMO, my hypothesis is that treatments (and China's impressive abilities with logistics & quick distribution) were a large contributing factor to their reopening. They (& we, I hope) don't need to locate 100 billion ventilators if the vast majority of serious complications are eliminated following early detection of symptoms & treatment within 24ish hours.

FYI, I am not a doctor or healthcare provider in any way. I'm also not a veterinarian, but I've heard that you can find 1% ivermectin solution on Amazon Prime if your horse gets roundworms. Of course, it might be something to consider if you start to notice the early signs of roundworms, & that you'd want to follow the weight-based dosing recommendations for your horse. They say just a single dose is effective.

Surely you will want to listen to your federal government on this because they are infinitely wise - for example when the surgeon general instructed us to stop acting crazy & wearing masks.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/product-safety-information/fda-letter-stakeholders-do-not-use-ivermectin-intended-animals-treatment-covid-19-humans
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:49:48 AM by The Hamberdler »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2020, 05:41:20 AM »
Interesting treatments to increase oxygen intake.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus.html

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2020, 07:37:04 AM »
Any update on Provasic?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2020, 07:42:48 AM »
Any update on Provasic?
Some very minor hepatitis issues, but what have you got to lose?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2020, 08:26:01 AM »
Any update on Provasic?
Just waiting for Dr. Kimball to sign off.

tower912

• All American

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2020, 11:38:23 AM »
Too bad, but not at all surprising.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »
No, it isn't.    Keep sciencing.   

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »
Wait, so the non-doctor with the gut feeling was wrong? Well that is surprising.

Guru and rocket await new orders.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2020, 08:30:34 PM »
"What do you have to lose?"
      -- Stable Genious

COVID-19: Brazilian trial for drug touted by Trump halted after 11 patients die on high dose

A possible treatment for COVID-19, heavily touted by U.S. President Donald Trump in recent weeks, has been withdrawn from high-dose use in a Brazilian trial because it was feared to be having adverse effects on patients’ hearts.

Chloroquine, normally a drug used to treat malaria, has inspired hope in some medical circles amid reports that it can help to offset the symptoms of the deadly virus. But the New York Times reports that a recent clinical trial saw patients develop irregular heartbeats, a number of whom developed heart arrhythmias and later died.

The similar drugs chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have been pushed by Trump as a possible partial solution to the pandemic in the U.S., where they are sold under brand names like Nivaquine and Plaquenil. The Times reports that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has granted emergency approval for the use of both drugs at U.S. hospitals, and U.S.
companies have begun producing them in greater numbers. Trump has been vociferous on the drugs’ potential benefits, but among those to contradict his views are his own top expert Anthony Fauci, who has provided regular updates to Americans on the crisis. During one recent daily White House coronavirus briefing, Trump stepped in and prevented Fauci from answering a question about hydroxychloroquine."

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/covid-19-brazil-trial-for-drug-chloroquine-touted-by-trump-stopped-after-11-patients-die

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2020, 04:21:34 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's still being widely used, however? And that whole "not yet peer reviewed" issue will probably lead to more indifference.

I don't think the research really ever favored that drug, more in theory that it ought to work (especially if you're deciding to not consider the common side effects)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2020, 08:37:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's still being widely used, however? And that whole "not yet peer reviewed" issue will probably lead to more indifference.

I don't think the research really ever favored that drug, more in theory that it ought to work (especially if you're deciding to not consider the common side effects)

Research never did favor hydroxychloroquine. And it shouldn't have ever worked in theory. There wasn't any biochemical reason it would work. It might lower overall inflammation, but there are better, and safer drugs for that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2020, 04:58:54 PM »
This looks very hopeful:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

A Chicago hospital treating severe Covid-19 patients with Gilead Sciences’ antiviral medicine remdesivir in a closely watched clinical trial is seeing rapid recoveries in fever and respiratory symptoms, with nearly all patients discharged in less than a week, STAT has learned.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2020, 05:12:58 PM »
Never stop sciencing

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2020, 10:13:31 PM »
remdesivir has been mentioned a few (bunch of...) times - and seems like it may have some good characteristics in treating this.  Now...hopefully not too many bad characteristics. 

And it's free for now!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-04/gilead-to-donate-experimental-coronavirus-drug-for-140-000-cases

Don't get me wrong - it was already in clinical trials - and if GIlead can get it approved faster - they have everything to gain.  But hey - if it helps a few (or a bunch) of people in these trials - for free - great!

And don't tell the WHO haters that they've been on this since January -
A World Health Organization panel said in January that remdesivir was considered to be the most promising therapeutic
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:15:30 PM by rocky_warrior »