collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)  (Read 125014 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2020, 06:18:30 PM »
This is great--SD Governor Noem is going to do a clinical trial of HCQ. And who is going to run the trial, you ask? Why, the health care company that was her largest campaign contributor.

Noem Taps Top Career Donor to Conduct Statewide Hydroxychloroquine Study
https://readsludge.com/2020/04/17/noem-taps-top-career-donor-to-conduct-statewide-hydroxychloroquine-study/
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2020, 06:36:25 PM »
Head of vaccine agency says he was ousted for resisting hydroxychloroquine

https://www.axios.com/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-vaccine-doctor-02f1430c-6c44-43fc-abab-56f2716c6d5a.html

Rick Bright, former director of the U.S. Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, said in a statement Wednesday that he believes he was removed from his role this week after clashing with HHS leadership over his attempts to limit the use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to treat the coronavirus. The news was first reported by the New York Times.

“I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit. I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science — not politics or cronyism — has to lead the way. …

"My professional background has prepared me for a moment like this — to confront and defeat a deadly virus that threatens Americans and people around the globe. To this point, I have led the government’s efforts to invest in the best science available to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.

"Unfortunately, this resulted in clashes with H.H.S. political leadership, including criticism for my proactive efforts to invest early into vaccines and supplies critical to saving American lives. I also resisted efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections.

"Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit.

"While I am prepared to look at all options and to think ‘outside the box’ for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public. I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed Covid-19 while under the supervision of a physician.

"These drugs have potentially serious risks associated with them, including increased mortality observed in some recent studies in patients with Covid-19.

"Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis.

"I will request that the inspector general of the Department of Health and Human Services investigate the manner in which this administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections and efforts that lack scientific merit.

"Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics.”

Really they aren't even trying to be subtle about this cronyism any longer.  And it's costing people lives.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2020, 09:30:22 PM »

https://www.axios.com/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-vaccine-doctor-02f1430c-6c44-43fc-abab-56f2716c6d5a.html

Rick Bright, former director of the U.S. Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, said in a statement Wednesday that he believes he was removed from his role this week after clashing with HHS leadership over his attempts to limit the use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to treat the coronavirus. The news was first reported by the New York Times.

“I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit. I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science — not politics or cronyism — has to lead the way. …

"My professional background has prepared me for a moment like this — to confront and defeat a deadly virus that threatens Americans and people around the globe. To this point, I have led the government’s efforts to invest in the best science available to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.

"Unfortunately, this resulted in clashes with H.H.S. political leadership, including criticism for my proactive efforts to invest early into vaccines and supplies critical to saving American lives. I also resisted efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections.

"Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit.

"While I am prepared to look at all options and to think ‘outside the box’ for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public. I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed Covid-19 while under the supervision of a physician.

"These drugs have potentially serious risks associated with them, including increased mortality observed in some recent studies in patients with Covid-19.

"Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis.

"I will request that the inspector general of the Department of Health and Human Services investigate the manner in which this administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections and efforts that lack scientific merit.

"Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics.”

Something doesn’t add up here.  He was the one who submitted for approval for the use of this under the emergency use act. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2020, 09:30:40 PM »

I’d wait a bit on buying this hook, line and sinker. Sounds like the administration had targeted this guy to be removed long ago and that he was a supporter of the use of hydroxycloroquine. I’d wait for the IG report before we call this guy a victim - though I know that may be too much too ask of some.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2020, 09:45:23 PM »
I’d wait a bit on buying this hook, line and sinker. Sounds like the administration had targeted this guy to be removed long ago and that he was a supporter of the use of hydroxycloroquine. I’d wait for the IG report before we call this guy a victim - though I know that may be too much too ask of some.

After reading into this a bit I think you nailed it.  Looks like another example of half truths and media spin that once it gets vetted out turns into something entirely different.

Also you want to talk about having blood on your hands, how bout New York’s nursing home policy when it came to residents testing positive for Covid.  Had to have a gigantic role in the amount of deaths they saw in that population, sad.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2020, 11:01:51 PM »

Today the president said he had never even heard of this guy, and knew nothing about him being removed. So either he was lying, or the administration wasn't targeting him for awhile.

I have no idea what went on here, but if it was straight forward, and a planned removal, no need to pretend like you didn't even know the name of the guy running the vaccine programs, including the coronavirus vaccine.

I'd be interested in seeing some of the links people (I realized it wasn't you) are referring to where they imply he is making all of this up.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:16:13 PM by forgetful »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2020, 07:03:41 AM »
Something doesn’t add up here.  He was the one who submitted for approval for the use of this under the emergency use act.
I think if you read his statement there are two points:

"While I am prepared to look at all options and to think ‘outside the box’ for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public. I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed COVID-19 while under the supervision of a physician.

"I will request that the inspector general of the Department of Health and Human Services investigate the manner in which this administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections and efforts that lack scientific merit."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2020, 07:07:35 AM »
After reading into this a bit I think you nailed it.  Looks like another example of half truths and media spin that once it gets vetted out turns into something entirely different.
Can you point out in the article what the half truths and media spin are?

Also you want to talk about having blood on your hands, how bout New York’s nursing home policy when it came to residents testing positive for Covid.  Had to have a gigantic role in the amount of deaths they saw in that population, sad.
This is some super strength whataboutism. I mean, how is NY's testing even remotely related to this?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:29:17 AM by TSmith34 »

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2020, 07:54:04 AM »

It's not.  You're not reading it right.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2020, 07:55:24 AM »

He was a supporter of it IF it was proven to actually work.  So he wanted to pump the brakes on its use until it could be shown to work.

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
Welp, this does not appear to be good news:

New data on Gilead’s remdesivir, released by accident, show no benefit for coronavirus patients. Company still sees reason for hope
https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/23/data-on-gileads-remdesivir-released-by-accident-show-no-benefit-for-coronavirus-patients/

"The antiviral medicine remdesivir from Gilead Sciences failed to speed the improvement of patients with Covid-19 or prevent them from dying, according to results from a long-awaited clinical trial conducted in China. Gilead, however, said the data suggest a “potential benefit.”

"A summary of the study results was inadvertently posted to the website of the World Health Organization and seen by STAT on Thursday, but then removed.

“A draft document was provided by the authors to WHO and inadvertently posted on the website and taken down as soon as the mistake was noticed. The manuscript is undergoing peer review and we are waiting for a final version before WHO comments,” said WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic.

"Gilead spokesperson Amy Flood said the company believes “the post included inappropriate characterization of the study.” Because the study was stopped early because it had too few patients, she said, it cannot “enable statistically meaningful conclusions.” However, she said, “trends in the data suggest a potential benefit for remdesivir, particularly among patients treated early in disease.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
The village idiot on Scoop has stopped talking about it every day, too.

Seriously stop with this.  No place here for that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »
The village idiot on Scoop has stopped talking about it every day, too.

I agree with Sultan. Unnecessary attack, brand. Be better.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »
Referencing warriordad from another thread... Rooting for this to fail?  No.  Skeptical?  Yes.   Think it is foolish to hype the crap out of an unproven treatment?   Absolutely.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2020, 01:35:10 PM »
Referencing warriordad from another thread... Rooting for this to fail?  No.  Skeptical?  Yes.   Think it is foolish to hype the crap out of an unproven treatment?   Absolutely.

There was another poster who used to accuse people about rooting for Marquette to fail.  Who was that?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
I agree with Sultan. Unnecessary attack, brand. Be better.

I agree and I apologize for the unnecessary dig.

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2020, 01:44:40 PM »
There was another poster who used to accuse people about rooting for Marquette to fail.  Who was that?

Hmmmm....

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58654.msg1130572#msg1130572

I wonder where I have seen similar "logic" before?

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58686.msg1128422#msg1128422

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »

Some are rooting for it to fail, they have admitted as such.  Unfortunate times we live in, but there are people that want policies or approaches to fail to be proven correct.  This is nothing new, has been going on for hundreds of years.  Name a political policy and the numbers opposing it and hoping it fails so their policy is chosen is how people think.  That remains true with some of the approaches of the coronavirus in my opinion.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »

I remember reading a handful members here that wanted Wojo to fail if it meant moving on to another coach.  Probably not hard to find if so inclined to read old messages here.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2020, 04:09:41 PM »
This is some super strength whataboutism. I mean, how is NY's testing even remotely related to this?

The spin and half truths (my opinion) is that the article try’s to frame the firing solely on the guy’s hesitancy to using hydroxy.  If you read into it a bit more sounds like he has a long led history of insubordination and adversarial relationships with colleagues.  Not saying his opposition to hydroxyl had no role in his dismissal but doesn’t seem to be painting the full picture with this one article from the media.  Therefore I consider it spin and half true, you good with that?   

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2020, 04:11:43 PM »

It has nothing to do about NY testing.  I was refereeing to the policy of when a nursing home resident tested positive for Covid they were sent right back into the nursing home to live amongst their peers who just so happened to be the highest risk population.  Nowhere did I mention anything to do with testing. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2020, 04:48:11 PM »
Some are rooting for it to fail, they have admitted as such.  Unfortunate times we live in, but there are people that want policies or approaches to fail to be proven correct.  This is nothing new, has been going on for hundreds of years.  Name a political policy and the numbers opposing it and hoping it fails so their policy is chosen is how people think.  That remains true with some of the approaches of the coronavirus in my opinion.

Where did anyone root for it to fail?

feedback