[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

NCAA Ticket Strategy by MU82
[March 18, 2024, 10:06:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?  (Read 23459 times)

MU82

• All American
How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?
« on: April 07, 2020, 09:12:35 AM »
There's no real "accuracy" to dispute, as there are no rules to guide the methodology, but there's still some eye-opening stuff in here.

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/how-much-is-nil-really-worth-to-student-athletes/

As college athletics continue to grapple with the implementation of a fair and balanced set of rules for student-athletes to monetize their Name, Image and Likeness (NIL), the question of just how much money they could generate has been the subject of much speculation. In a continued effort to provide intercollegiate leaders with key insights, AthleticDirectorU teamed up with Navigate Research – one of the most trusted sources of media, marketing, and sponsorship valuations in the industry – to determine how much student-athletes can make off their NIL in both group licensing and free-market scenarios.

It goes on to explain the methodology a little, and it includes a list of the athletes they say would have cashed in biggest this past year.

Cole Anthony would have been No. 1, with the ability to make nearly $500K, but the biggest surprise is how many women are on the list, even from less-visible sports.

For example, 5 gymnasts, 2 women's basketball players and a softball player all would have brought in more than the No. 3 men's basketball player on the list, Cassius Winston.

Northwestern volleyball athlete Alana Walker was No. 18 ... three spots (and $19K) ahead of Obi Toppin, the men's Naismith Award winner.

If nothing else, this list, and the amount of money on it, should spur the NCAA to get in front of this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 09:35:50 AM »
Superbar.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 03:53:53 PM »
Well, Mike Gundy’s comments might be a rally cry for people who want to pay players, without him meaning. This is an example of why I think we shouldn’t view coaches as experts on these types of things.

https://twitter.com/kyle__boone/status/1247615583442677760?s=21

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
Well, Mike Gundy’s comments might be a rally cry for people who want to pay players, without him meaning. This is an example of why I think we shouldn’t view coaches as experts on these types of things.

To be fair, in the audio he did add the conditional statement "if the medical people allow it."

But coaches like Gundy are REALLY good at one thing.  And that's usually about it. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

silverback

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 04:40:43 PM »
The REAL question is how much was NIV worth to MU?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »

For example, 5 gymnasts, 2 women's basketball players and a softball player all would have brought in more than the No. 3 men's basketball player on the list, Cassius Winston.

Northwestern volleyball athlete Alana Walker was No. 18 ... three spots (and $19K) ahead of Obi Toppin, the men's Naismith Award winner.

Makes perfect sense to me. Since Coach McGuire, how many of our players would have made big dollars from their image and likeness while they were at Marquette?

Butch Lee, maybe? Perhaps Glenn Rivers. Lee because his success came in the 1976 Olympics and in 1977 occurred during his junior year.

Nationally, I could see Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton at UCLA, maybe Michael Jordan and James Worthy at North Carolina, Pete Maravich at LSU, Bill Russell at USF and maybe a couple of Dukies. I'm sure I am missing a few here and there, but by and large, I can't imagine there are many college stars who can make massive amounts of money from their image and likeness. Especially since the very best turn pro after a year or two.

Also keep in mind that the images you see of athletes are carefully crafted. Their diction and appearance worked on for years by professionals and that costs an enormous amount of money -- something college athletes DON'T have. Too many college athletes are raw and their language skills not tilted toward a mass, adult audience.

The women do well in no small measure because they're appealing and attractive. Don't shoot me for saying so, but sex appeal sells!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 09:43:01 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me. Since Coach McGuire, how many of our players would have made big dollars from their image and likeness while they were at Marquette?

Butch Lee, maybe? Perhaps Glenn Rivers. Lee because his success came in the 1976 Olympics and in 1977 occurred during his junior year.

Nationally, I could see Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton at UCLA, maybe Michael Jordan and James Worthy at North Carolina, Pete Maravich at LSU, Bill Russell at USF and maybe a couple of Dukies. I'm sure I am missing a few here and there, but by and large, I can't imagine there are many college stars who can make massive amounts of money from their image and likeness. Especially since the very best turn pro after a year or two.

Also keep in mind that the images you see of athletes are carefully crafted. Their diction and appearance worked on for years by professionals and that costs an enormous amount of money -- something college athletes DON'T have. Too many college athletes are raw and their language skills not tilted toward a mass, adult audience.

The women do well in no small measure because they're appealing and attractive. Don't shoot me for saying so, but sex appeal sells!

Some of the ladies on this list also have been or are Olympians.

But if Cole Anthony woulda been worth almost half a mil, what would Zion have been worth?

Not a good human being.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 01:51:25 PM »

I think you're probably right about much of this.

Regarding the underlined part, a few others who come to mind are Shaq, Ewing and Sampson. Not a long list, though.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 02:34:48 PM »
I think you're probably right about much of this.

Regarding the underlined part, a few others who come to mind are Shaq, Ewing and Sampson. Not a long list, though.
You dont think there would be a bidding war by shoe companies for lottery picks?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »
You dont think there would be a bidding war by shoe companies for lottery picks?

You mean like Darko Milcic in 2003?  ;)

Seriously, I think there might be a a little of that...but there are already scores of pro athletes available for the pickings, and IMHO shoe companies are only gonna want to pay big bucks to so many people. In the end, they may decide mostly to stick with the sure things - people who already are pro stars - and limit their investments in guys who may or may not be stars.

I think it's quite possible that only the clearly revolutionary prospects - LeBron, Zion, etc - get any real money. Otherwise, you'd have failed investments in guys like Milcic....

Edit:

A few other examples of HIGH lottery picks that have had so-so careers:
2010: Evan Turner #2 - 9.7 career ppg.
2011: Derrick Williams #2 - 8.9 career ppg.
2012: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist #2 - 8.5 career ppg.
2013: Anthony Bennett #1 - 4.4 career ppg.

And those guys were #1 or #2 picks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:31:13 PM by GooooMarquette »

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 04:29:47 PM »
Remember Kyle Macy taking care of thoroughbreds? The money won’t come from shoe companies but for a few. The “transgressions“ will be from wealthy fans.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 06:55:25 PM »
There won't be "bidding wars" -- at least not at first, and not in the sense that we associate the term with, as in free-agent pro athletes. There will be rules in place to mitigate the effects of this ... if the NCAA is smart and proactive. (I have my doubts about the NCAA being either, though.)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 10:05:15 PM »

if the NCAA is smart and proactive.

Thanks for the laugh!!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 08:47:27 AM »

You mean like Darko Milcic in 2003?  ;)

Seriously, I think there might be a a little of that...but there are already scores of pro athletes available for the pickings, and IMHO shoe companies are only gonna want to pay big bucks to so many people. In the end, they may decide mostly to stick with the sure things - people who already are pro stars - and limit their investments in guys who may or may not be stars.

I think it's quite possible that only the clearly revolutionary prospects - LeBron, Zion, etc - get any real money. Otherwise, you'd have failed investments in guys like Milcic....

Edit:

A few other examples of HIGH lottery picks that have had so-so careers:
2010: Evan Turner #2 - 9.7 career ppg.
2011: Derrick Williams #2 - 8.9 career ppg.
2012: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist #2 - 8.5 career ppg.
2013: Anthony Bennett #1 - 4.4 career ppg.

And those guys were #1 or #2 picks.
I am not talking in the millions of dollars, but maybe 100 K. Which is 100K more than they are getting now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 08:50:17 AM »
I am not talking in the millions of dollars, but maybe 100 K. Which is 100K more than they are getting now.

Teal?
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 09:36:09 AM »
Teal?
Nope. Talking about actual dollars, not the "cost of education".

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 10:24:47 AM »
Nope. Talking about actual dollars, not the "cost of education".

I suspect Galway asked about teal because many think it's naive to assume that many lottery picks aren't already getting a little help on the side...in the form of actual dollars, vehicles, etc....

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 11:18:08 AM »

I suspect Galway asked about teal because many think it's naive to assume that many lottery picks aren't already getting a little help on the side...in the form of actual dollars, vehicles, etc....
Oh, got it now. I can be a little slow on the uptake

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »

This
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
Thanks for the laugh!!

I feel the same way, hence the parenthetical reference following my comment.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
Here is the real issue about the NIL for student athletes in basketball.

1) Most who stay for four years are unhearlded, except within a region or an alumni affinity. Take Markus Howard for example. Great young man, great ballplayer and someone whose stock rose throughout his four years at Marquette. Where do you think Markus' image and likeness -- at this time -- would work to sell something? Klement's Sausage maybe?

Seriously, other than in local advertisements, I don't see it.

2) How many folks can you name off 2019's NatChamp? Do you really think Karl Guy or Ty Jerome could generate huge value for their name, image or likeness?

3) This is more of a football thing and will make the rich richer. Tua, for example, at Alabama, or Joe Burrow at LSU. This could make Notre Dame relevant in football again, with the potential for their national media exposure.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 07:09:09 PM »
Here is the real issue about the NIL for student athletes in basketball.

1) Most who stay for four years are unhearlded, except within a region or an alumni affinity. Take Markus Howard for example. Great young man, great ballplayer and someone whose stock rose throughout his four years at Marquette. Where do you think Markus' image and likeness -- at this time -- would work to sell something? Klement's Sausage maybe?

Seriously, other than in local advertisements, I don't see it.

2) How many folks can you name off 2019's NatChamp? Do you really think Karl Guy or Ty Jerome could generate huge value for their name, image or likeness?

3) This is more of a football thing and will make the rich richer. Tua, for example, at Alabama, or Joe Burrow at LSU. This could make Notre Dame relevant in football again, with the potential for their national media exposure.

Maybe, dg, but that list sure included a lot of athletes who didn't play football or basketball, and most of them were women.

Uncle Rico

• All American
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2020, 08:09:09 AM »
I was told the courts decided this?

Remember when the NCAA threatened to ban schools from states that allowed this?
It took them all of seven months to go from "this will destroy college athletics" to "sounds good to me."

feedback