[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Economic Impacts/Studies  (Read 7699 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Economic Impacts/Studies
« on: March 31, 2020, 09:54:57 AM »
Barrons covered this paper which I thought was an interesting read about why controlling the health crisis is so important for many reasons.

https://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfed.org/2020/03/fight-the-pandemic-save-the-economy-lessons-from-the-1918-flu.html?mod=article_inline

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Economic Impacts/Studies
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 10:26:47 AM »
This very much mirrors the opinion I posted from the Fed Reserve of St. Louis.  It would be better to shut things down for a longer period now, than it would be to come back too early.  Economically things will rebound if we take care of this now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »
The DWD in Wisconsin said that on Thursday, for example, its unemployment insurance division telephone system was at times receiving 160 calls per second.

“During the week of March 22, 2020, DWD's Unemployment Insurance Division received more than 1.5 million calls, an increase of 6,208% over the busiest weekly call volume,” according to a statement from the agency.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »
Spending analysis via credit cards

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/11/business/economy/coronavirus-us-economy-spending.html

Anecdotally .. my credit card bill for March was a third what it is usually.   No restaurants, no gas purchases, no movies, no tickets, vacation cancelled. 

Multiply that by 150m households and .. whoa.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »
My credit card is actually relatively high, as we have been getting carry out far more often than we ever went out to restaurants.    As well as ordering groceries or other things that we would normally go out and purchase in person.    However, we do what we have done every month of our 28 years of marriage and pay it all off at the end of the month.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 10:19:47 AM »
I have a credit balance based on refunds from a trip I booked to go to the men’s volleyball Final Four in early May.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 03:54:01 PM »
Pensions will be devastated and a reason why people will start to push that Americans go back to work despite the risks.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
Pensions will be devastated and a reason why people will start to push that Americans go back to work despite the risks.

If the your retirement savings went down so much that you have to go back to work, either you didn't have your portfolio properly balanced, or you really didn't have enough money to retire in the lifestyle you wanted in the first place.

We got married the Saturday before Black Monday in 1987. Our best man was a Goldman Sachs financial advisor. Some of his retired clients had to go back to work, but it was because they panicked and sold at the bottom.

I literally retired two days ago, seven years early. My 401k has gone down 20 percent since the beginning of the year, but it hasn't changed my plans one bit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:34:07 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 04:48:39 PM »
If the your retirement savings went down so much that you have to go back to work, either you didn't have your portfolio properly balanced, or you really didn't have enough money to retire in the lifestyle you wanted in the first place.

We got married the Saturday before Black Monday in 1987. Our best man was a Goldman Sachs financial advisor. Some of his retired clients had to go back to work, but it was because they panicked and sold at the bottom.

I literally retired two days ago, seven years early. My 401k has gone down 20 percent since the beginning of the year, but it hasn't changed my plans one bit.

Good for you and I mean that.  In general my comments are about the ability of these funds to be funded properly at all.  New Jersey may need a bailout and they will not be alone.  Corporate pension funds in bad shape after this.

When the American people understand how bad that really is, in my view the push to reopen will hit a groundswell.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/business/dealbook/coronavirus-public-pension.html

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »
Good for you and I mean that.  In general my comments are about the ability of these funds to be funded properly at all.  New Jersey may need a bailout and they will not be alone.  Corporate pension funds in bad shape after this.

When the American people understand how bad that really is, in my view the push to reopen will hit a groundswell.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/business/dealbook/coronavirus-public-pension.html

The US public has a long track record of not giving a damn about people's corporate pensions being taken away. Some even regularly vote for politicians that campaign in part on removing government pensions.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »

This close to retirement, and you still dropped 20%, I would find a new financial advisor.  This is borderline criminal.  I’m in my late 30s, and down 20% as well, with an aggressive portfolio.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
This close to retirement, and you still dropped 20%, I would find a new financial advisor.  This is borderline criminal.  I’m in my late 30s, and down 20% as well, with an aggressive portfolio.

It's a fund based on my traditional retirement date. I am planning through retirement, not to retirement. The money will be there when I need it.

I might also add that I earned close to 30 percent in 2019, so I am still ahead.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
It's a fund based on my traditional retirement date. I am planning through retirement, not to retirement. The money will be there when I need it.

I might also add that I earned close to 30 percent in 2019, so I am still ahead.

This is a really good point. The market today is by and large around where it was two years ago. It absolutely sucks to have lost two years of gains, but unless you've been really dumb in recent months, this is a setback not ruin.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 06:58:42 PM »

If you need a little extra cash, you could write commercials for your investment company.  ;D

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »

As part of my crazy partisan ways, I go ultra-conservative at the end of Republican presidencies. I did it with bush I, Bush II, and last June under Trump. It has paid off well. It was like having a money tree during the Clinton and Obama years. My advisor checked a couple weeks ago after the the market had declined 35%. My loss was at 9.5 %.

I mostly avoided the crash of '08 and then rode Obama's wave for 10+years. So, like you, I was able to retire early.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 09:08:58 PM »
This very much mirrors the opinion I posted from the Fed Reserve of St. Louis.  It would be better to shut things down for a longer period now, than it would be to come back too early.  Economically things will rebound if we take care of this now.
i

IMO that depends on what “a longer period” means. No herd immunity as we self quarantine, so to be safe we would have to shut down until a vaccine is developed, approved, manufactured and administered. So, maybe a year, maybe 18 months, maybe longer. If that’s “the cure” I have little doubt it will be worse than the disease.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 09:19:49 PM »
i

IMO that depends on what “a longer period” means. No herd immunity as we self quarantine, so to be safe we would have to shut down until a vaccine is developed, approved, manufactured and administered. So, maybe a year, maybe 18 months, maybe longer. If that’s “the cure” I have little doubt it will be worse than the disease.
My money is on effective treatments coming out of the testing currently going on well before a vaccine is ever developed, if it ever is. If treatments can bring down the mortality rate to similar to flu in the .1% range we'll be up and running way, way before a vaccine can be rolled out.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 12:50:54 AM »

I think you are spot on. Trump is clueless as it will take a decent amount of time to ramp back up. But if we do it too early and have to shut down again, then it gets really dicey.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 07:50:32 AM »
i

CEO's have to decide about when and how to reopen so they can provide a safe work environment.  I saw this in a political risk opinion piece that I cannot post directly, but the gist for CEO's is:
1. What medical data is required to support reopening?
2. How do you keep people safe - fever scanners, massive amounts of PPE, workplace changes (social distance in plant/office, what does a meeting look like)
3. Infrastructure of getting people to work.  Is public transport safe, how do you handle daycare, how do you feed people.

The narrative that focus on the virus or focus on the economy are two things is false -- they are one and intertwined.  Consumer behavior, worker behavior, the ability to get things done the way we used to and every facet of society is impacted as long as this virus is uncontrolled. 

So we need to design the new system--and the clock continues to tick.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 07:51:15 AM »
i

I believe the report was recommending until the end of June.  But it was two weeks ago and I think the underlying assumptions have changed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 08:34:39 AM »
Anecdotally .. my credit card bill for March was a third what it is usually.   No restaurants, no gas purchases, no movies, no tickets, vacation cancelled. 

Multiply that by 150m households and .. whoa.

My wife and I figured out this morning that we didn't make a single purchase this entire three day weekend.  Not even online.

My energy bill was auto-paid this morning.  It is the first transaction in my checking account since last Thursday.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »
CEO's have to decide about when and how to reopen so they can provide a safe work environment.  I saw this in a political risk opinion piece that I cannot post directly, but the gist for CEO's is:
1. What medical data is required to support reopening?
2. How do you keep people safe - fever scanners, massive amounts of PPE, workplace changes (social distance in plant/office, what does a meeting look like)
3. Infrastructure of getting people to work.  Is public transport safe, how do you handle daycare, how do you feed people.

The narrative that focus on the virus or focus on the economy are two things is false -- they are one and intertwined.  Consumer behavior, worker behavior, the ability to get things done the way we used to and every facet of society is impacted as long as this virus is uncontrolled. 

So we need to design the new system--and the clock continues to tick.

I agree this is what should be being done. But current evidence says that isn't followed. Fast food restaurants are open everywhere. They do not have proper protection, have to take public transportation to work (minimum wage), aren't being screened in most places, etc.

Yet they all stayed open.

You forgot that although they consider those three. They are constantly weighted against 1a. Profit.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what the phrase "reopening the economy" means?  Does it mean forcing governors / mayors to lift stay at home restrictions?  Even then, wouldn't prudent business owners stay closed/keep modified operations for the safety of their employees and public? 

I'm thinking it's just poor terminology, and likely wording to start a political fight...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what the phrase "reopening the economy" means?  Does it mean forcing governors / mayors to lift stay at home restrictions?  Even then, wouldn't prudent business owners stay closed/keep modified operations for the safety of their employees and public? 

I'm thinking it's just poor terminology, and likely wording to start a political fight...

The last 3 working days, I received notices from a half-dozen customers and a few suppliers indicating they have decided to temporarily shut-down operations after Easter and would notify all of an update again in 1-2 weeks.  One supplier said they had an employee test positive for Coronavirus which prompted the decision.