[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you going to do when this is over?  (Read 19292 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: What are you going to do when this is over?
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2021, 01:10:41 PM »
I’m having a debate with myself. A friend is getting married at the end of May in CA. I should be fully vaccinated then with a few weeks to spare, but still seems weird to travel and go to a large gathering.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2021, 02:55:24 PM »
.. planning mostly local/camping stuff for summer since we expect travel to be absolutely nuts (in terms of crowds & prices) this summer.

Lots of competing factors.  On the plus side, we have people who are antsy and, especially for the travel set, a booming economy with pent up dollars.

On the minus side .. there'll be a good chunk of people who just "aren't ready."  Also, the travel restrictions aren't disappearing instantly .. I dunno when the testing requirements are going to disappear, I'm guessing they'll be there through 2021.

Tourism/hotels/restaurants/etc will have an interesting balancing act on hiring a work force.  Do they ramp up immediately for the season?  Or wait and watch the volume?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2021, 03:37:14 PM »
I’m having a debate with myself. A friend is getting married at the end of May in CA. I should be fully vaccinated then with a few weeks to spare, but still seems weird to travel and go to a large gathering.

I tend to be pretty cautious, but it seems like it would be perfectly reasonable to go if you will be fully vaccinated and follow applicable guidelines regarding mask wearing and the like. And a state like CA isn’t likely to lift mandates until it’s pretty safe.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2021, 03:37:56 PM »
What are the chances a trip to Banff and Yoho could happen in mid to late August?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2021, 03:43:42 PM »
Canada has been extended a month at a time. So foreseeably that could be rolled back quickly when the US begins really rolling with vaccinations.  But they’ve also been a bit heavy handed with their posturing, so I wouldn’t expect any proactivity in opening back up to Americans

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2021, 04:02:45 PM »
I dunno when the testing requirements are going to disappear, I'm guessing they'll be there through 2021.

I was only speaking of US domestic travel.  Other than international & HI are there other states with testing requirements/travel restrictions?  I haven't been keeping up other than the states that I usually travel.

I'm assuming international travel won't really be a "good" option until 2022. 

edit: did my own googling, looks like the NE states still have some restrictions, but outside of that, it's all open.  Places like KY and CA just "suggest" quarantining.   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:07:14 PM by rocky_warrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2021, 04:56:41 PM »

Why? Science is real. Go ahead and enjoy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2021, 06:05:32 PM »
just go..

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2021, 11:43:21 PM »
Our poker group got together tonight for the first time since Feb 2020. Six guys in their 50s and 60s, all of whom are fully vaccinated, enjoying “normal” life playing poker, having some beer and food. A fun 4 hours.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »
Our poker group got together tonight for the first time since Feb 2020. Six guys in their 50s and 60s, all of whom are fully vaccinated, enjoying “normal” life playing poker, having some beer and food. A fun 4 hours.
MU82, I saw that someone posted your poker game on Facebook:

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2021, 03:45:42 PM »
MU82, I saw that someone posted your poker game on Facebook:

23 skidoo! That's us!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2021, 09:52:13 PM »
My wife and I are heading to Puerto Vallerta for our anniversary in June. We’re vaccinated and got a great deal to a great resort we’ve visited before.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »
My wife and I are heading to Puerto Vallerta for our anniversary in June. We’re vaccinated and got a great deal to a great resort we’ve visited before.

If you haven't been the up Monzon Brewery! Los Muertos Brewery has a cool environment and logo but the beer was sub par.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2021, 09:51:19 AM »
If you haven't been the up Monzon Brewery! Los Muertos Brewery has a cool environment and logo but the beer was sub par.

We went two years ago. Agreed that Los Muertos beer was subpar, but happy hour prices of under $2 per pint made up for it.

We ducked into Monzon during a huge rainstorm. I end up sitting next to one of Aaron Hutchens’ HS teammates. Small f-ing world! Excellent beer too.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »
We went two years ago. Agreed that Los Muertos beer was subpar, but happy hour prices of under $2 per pint made up for it.

We ducked into Monzon during a huge rainstorm. I end up sitting next to one of Aaron Hutchens’ HS teammates. Small f-ing world! Excellent beer too.

True completely forgot about that.

Monzon's food was fantastic to from what I recall. I really love that city, it's easy to feel like you're away from the resorts and actually experience the city itself without getting into sketchy spots like Cancun.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2021, 12:57:35 PM »
True completely forgot about that.

Monzon's food was fantastic to from what I recall. I really love that city, it's easy to feel like you're away from the resorts and actually experience the city itself without getting into sketchy spots like Cancun.

our resort is about a 10 minute drive from downtown - a very cheap Uber ride. We never do all-inclusive as we want to get out and experience the city and culture. We didn't eat at Monzon but Pancho's Takos was ridiculous! We'll have to try food at Monzon this time around.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2021, 01:24:18 PM »
our resort is about a 10 minute drive from downtown - a very cheap Uber ride. We never do all-inclusive as we want to get out and experience the city and culture. We didn't eat at Monzon but Pancho's Takos was ridiculous! We'll have to try food at Monzon this time around.

Uhhh isn't the 'culture' of Puerto Vallarta just American tourists?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2021, 02:23:47 PM »

Are you implying that a city that basically didn’t exist 150 years ago, had only 25-30K people 50 years ago, has grown 10x that since and has more than half its local population working in tourism or hospitality....is just a resort/tourist hub?! What kind of gringo disrespect is this!! ;D ;D

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2021, 02:53:56 PM »
Are you implying that a city that basically didn’t exist 150 years ago, had only 25-30K people 50 years ago, has grown 10x that since and has more than half its local population working in tourism or hospitality....is just a resort/tourist hub?! What kind of gringo disrespect is this!! ;D ;D

Phoenix Denver Houston and LA basically didn't exist 150yrs ago either all were less than 6,000 residents and yet people still would claim those spots have culture.

It's definitely more of a tourist spot than not but it's also a safe, non drunk off their ass college kids, part of Mexico.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2021, 02:58:06 PM »
Are you implying that a city that basically didn’t exist 150 years ago, had only 25-30K people 50 years ago, has grown 10x that since

20X

But it's still more authentic than the Mexican Village at EPCOT, no?  The mass I attended there many moons ago was said in Spanish.
Ludum habemus.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2021, 03:35:59 PM »
Phoenix Denver Houston and LA basically didn't exist 150yrs ago either all were less than 6,000 residents and yet people still would claim those spots have culture.

It's definitely more of a tourist spot than not but it's also a safe, non drunk off their ass college kids, part of Mexico.

I wont even get into the US vs Mexico history, but none of those are considered "touristy" like PV is.  There were also no large cities of note in the Western US, period, at that time.  But Guadalajara and other cities in that region of Mexico were established and sizeable for many years before PV grew exponentially.

It developed solely because of coastal tourism and expats.  Those other cities mentioned in the US did not.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »
Sit in a restaurant.   Enjoy peace and quiet with my wife back in her office.   Sit in a movie theater.   Those are really the only impactful changes.   I don't mind masks.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2021, 04:13:42 PM »

Actual local restaurants and places frequented by actual locals, not just staying on the resort or eating at places like Senor Frogs. Plus day trips.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »
I miss strippers.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2021, 06:02:55 AM »
Actual local restaurants and places frequented by actual locals, not just staying on the resort or eating at places like Senor Frogs. Plus day trips.

Gotcha, I would do the same.

feedback