collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you going to do when this is over?  (Read 19205 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: What are you going to do when this is over?
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2020, 12:24:58 AM »
I can’t wait to go back to the gym. I’ve been working out in my apartment, but it’s just not the same. It’s been a really tough adjustment for someone who is there 5-6 times a week.

Excited to have Mexican food at a real Mexican restaurant, chips and all.

Hopefully have a business still there to get back on track. Really missing out on the world travel that was such a big part of my life. Honestly, work is the weirdest. It’s not that I miss the grind, but the feeling of powerlessness really F-ing sucks and it makes it hard to not be bitter and cynical to all the people telling you to just chill out and relax, knowing that they don’t have the same susceptibility.

And as much as anything, I hope like hell there is still a EPL finish to the season to see LFC finally lift the trophy

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
Go to spinning class again and run some races.  At least I can still get outside and run as that's about the only thing keeping me sort of sane now :).  But I miss the good cross training I had going with spinning.  And I was doing so well with Marathon training which is sort of down the drain now.  I was supposed to have run a Marathon today in St. Louis and was planning on running another one in Lincoln, Nebraska on May 3rd which was also canceled of course.  I was trying to increase how many states I've run Marathons in this year - well that won't be happening now - oh well :).  At this point I'm hoping to be able to run at least one Marathon in a new state in 2020.

That and watch sports again :).  I love sports and it's pretty much all I normally watch on TV so I feel a little lost these days.

How many marathons have you run, and how many states have you hit?

I ran 8 marathons in 7 states back in the 80s and 90s (including STL in '89), but then injured a couple of discs and had to give it up. These days, my workouts are on my bikes (road bike when it's dry; fat bike when it isn't).

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »

I ran 8 marathons in 7 states back in the 80s and 90s (including STL in '89), but then injured a couple of discs and had to give it up. These days, my workouts are on my bikes (road bike when it's dry; fat bike when it isn't).

Many good biking trails in Minny?  The only one I’ve been on is south of I-90 down by Lanesboro.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2020, 10:09:55 PM »
Many good biking trails in Minny?  The only one I’ve been on is south of I-90 down by Lanesboro.

The Root River Trail around Lanesboro is probably the best around here.

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with many other bike trails because most of my miles are on the rural roads south of Rochester. Mostly just me and the farmers on highways with nice wide shoulders.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »

I've run 11 total in 8 states so far.  Lakefront Marathon was my first in 2015 and I also did that in 2016 along with the first two Milwaukee Running Festival Marathons (now called the Milwaukee Marathon) before I decided to try to do Marathons in different states.  The most states I've done in a year is 2 and I was trying to do 4 this year.  But now I'm thinking the total might be zero for 2020.  It's a mild disappointment to me but I understand why races are being canceled.  And I've been injury prone and didn't start running Marathons until I was a little older so I'm not sure how I'll hold up on this quest.  But it's been fun for me - cool to check out other races and vist places I might not normally go to.  One nice thing is my last Marathon in November - the Marshall University Marathon in Huntington, WV was super fun and I finally broke my PR that I had set in May 2017 - at least my last Marathon for awhile was a good one :).

St. Louis this year was supposed to be our family spring break trip too - going to try to do that in 2021 now as the race lines up with Spring Break again at least and those race organizers offered a deferral.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:46:49 PM by Marquette Fan »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
I've run 11 total in 8 states so far.  Lakefront Marathon was my first in 2015 and I also did that in 2016 along with the first two Milwaukee Running Festival Marathons (now called the Milwaukee Marathon) before I decided to try to do Marathons in different states.  The most states I've done in a year is 2 and I was trying to do 4 this year.  But now I'm thinking the total might be zero for 2020.  It's a mild disappointment to me but I understand why races are being canceled.  And I've been injury prone and didn't start running Marathons until I was a little older so I'm not sure how I'll hold up on this quest.  But it's been fun for me - cool to check out other races and vist places I might not normally go to.  One nice thing is my last Marathon in November - the Marshall University Marathon in Huntington, WV was super fun and I finally broke my PR that I had set in May 2017 - at least my last Marathon for awhile was a good one :).

St. Louis this year was supposed to be our family spring break trip too - going to try to do that in 2021 now as the race lines up with Spring Break again at least and those race organizers offered a deferral.

Very cool.

Lakefront was my first too, back in ‘88.

I ran STL back in ‘89 when it was in the fall. That was also my PR.

If you haven’t run one in California yet, I’d HIGHLY recommend Big Sur. Well organized and absolutely gorgeous.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2020, 10:17:16 PM »
Very cool.

Lakefront was my first too, back in ‘88.

I ran STL back in ‘89 when it was in the fall. That was also my PR.

If you haven’t run one in California yet, I’d HIGHLY recommend Big Sur. Well organized and absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks.  Congrats to you also on the marathons and great that you can bike now and enjoy that.

Yeah I still have California to do.  I've just done states I can drive to so far - mostly the Midwest.   I did road trip with friends to Fargo, ND and Brookings, SD and have done family trips to some other close destinations.  I was supposed to go with a friend to Nebraska in May - she's only about 5 states away from completing her 50 state journey and had another one canceled this month too.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2020, 11:17:16 PM »
Are you aiming for 50 states? That was originally a goal of mine but I'm not sure my body can handle 3 or 4 fulls per year. I do plan on doing Big Sur and hopefully NYC and Boston, but I'm a long ways away from that point right now.

What's are your favorites that you've completed? I really enjoyed Chicago, Milwaukee and the Wisconsin Marathon in Kenosha.. Vegas is unique being at night but the back half of that course is pretty terrible.

Hoping to do Minneapolis in October.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2020, 08:01:35 AM »

If you want one of the most scenic, and want to qualify for Boston, kill two birds with one stone here:
https://www.halfmarathons.net/utah-revel-big-cottonwood-marathon-half-marathon/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2020, 08:32:29 AM »
I have high respect for marathoners being able to make time in the schedule to train.
I run 5 days per week April through December (some but much less in the 1Q), but only for fun and 5K's (or the occasional 10K).  I still want to do a marathon at least once, but the time needed to train just isn't there (yet).  And 37 years of distance running and I have one creaky knee that I have to get annual get Euphlexa shots for doesn't help.

No marathon, but I recommend this one to out-of-staters.  The New Haven Labor Day Road Race.  20K, 1/2 Marathon (just added 3 years ago), 5K races.  It's mostly a flat course even the 20K & Half-marathon.  USA Track & Field holds the 20K Championship race here every year so we've seen Galen Rupp and most of the men & women who just qualified for Tokyo Olympic marathon race here.  And Harpoon is a sponsor so everyone's bib has beer coupons on it.           

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »
I tried the lotto for Chicago and NYC but no luck. It's a long shot but the ultimate goal is to qualify for Boston. Might do TC in the fall but not sure it's the best for BQ. Only marathon I've done is Lakefront. Any ideas for a fall marathon (if they aren't cancelled) that's considered a "fast" course. Perhaps doing Lakefront again is my best shot.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2020, 01:23:39 PM »
Hookers and blow. Just getting back to life as normal.  ;D

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2020, 01:42:53 PM »
I tried the lotto for Chicago and NYC but no luck. It's a long shot but the ultimate goal is to qualify for Boston. Might do TC in the fall but not sure it's the best for BQ. Only marathon I've done is Lakefront. Any ideas for a fall marathon (if they aren't cancelled) that's considered a "fast" course. Perhaps doing Lakefront again is my best shot.

Phoenix in February is all downhill, but that means you have to train throughout the winter. Chicago is super flat so I'd keep entering that lottery. Other than that, not sure. I believe Indianapolis is fast and in the fall but I haven't run it.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2020, 08:34:50 AM »
Are you aiming for 50 states? That was originally a goal of mine but I'm not sure my body can handle 3 or 4 fulls per year. I do plan on doing Big Sur and hopefully NYC and Boston, but I'm a long ways away from that point right now.

What's are your favorites that you've completed? I really enjoyed Chicago, Milwaukee and the Wisconsin Marathon in Kenosha.. Vegas is unique being at night but the back half of that course is pretty terrible.

Hoping to do Minneapolis in October.

Yes I am aiming for 50 states but I also wonder if my body can hold up for it.  I went for a PR for my fall 2019 one and got it - yeah :).  So this year I wanted to see if I could increase my states completed and was supposed to run Marathons 5 weeks apart in the spring and then the pandemic happened.  NYC would be cool but not sure about getting into that.  I'll never qualify for Boston so that's not on my radar.

Fargo and Flying Pig are probably my two favorites.  I feel like the only runner I know who didn't love doing the Chicago Marathon :).  Lakefront was a great one to do as my first Marathon. 

I'm not signed up for any more races this year - have had 3 canceled so far and I'm going to wait until races can happen again before committing any money to them.  I'm starting to think it might be 2021 at least before I can run another race.  I feel a tad lost running these days as I'm so used to having a race to train for - hard for me to 'just' be on a maintenance plan of sorts.

I've heard good things about the one in Minneapolis - hope they have it and good luck.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2020, 08:39:46 AM »

I don't know anything about the TC course so can't speak to that about it being a good BQ.  I've done Lakefront twice and it's pretty darn flat as you know - seems like it would be a good potential BQ course.  Someone also mentioned Indianapolis - I ran that in 2018 and that was a nice race - that might be a good potential one for you also. Assuming races can happen this fall of course.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2020, 08:41:37 AM »
I have a friend who finished her goal of doing half-marathons in all 50 states last year.  She's 52.  She had to take a year off however because she decided to do an Ironman at the age of 48.  (Successfully BTW).

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2020, 08:45:39 AM »
I have a friend who finished her goal of doing half-marathons in all 50 states last year.  She's 52.  She had to take a year off however because she decided to do an Ironman at the age of 48.  (Successfully BTW).

Congrats to her - that's impressive on the halfs and the Ironman. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »
Travel somewhere. Immediately.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2020, 09:18:07 PM »

I didn’t run my first one until I was 54 so I have limited experience. In the Midwest I ran fall marathons in Chicago (twice), Des Moines and Indianapolis. Since I qualified for my Boston in Chicago that’s the one I would recommend.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2020, 09:23:58 PM »
I didn’t run my first one until I was 54 so I have limited experience. In the Midwest I ran fall marathons in Chicago (twice), Des Moines and Indianapolis. Since I qualified for my Boston in Chicago that’s the one I would recommend.

Congrats on qualifying for Boston - that's quite the achievement.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2020, 07:32:43 AM »
Go to the chiropractor.   Way overdue and getting  more sore by the day.  Stretching isn't getting it done.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2021, 09:06:13 AM »
Bump.  I think within 90 days, this trainwreck is mostly over.   

I figure by June, we'll be well vaccinated .. so we're planning a couple of long distance trips for the summer because why not.  We've been cooped up in our home for over a year.

I think the travel industry is going to really take off.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2021, 10:50:33 AM »
Bump.  I think within 90 days, this trainwreck is mostly over.   

I figure by June, we'll be well vaccinated .. so we're planning a couple of long distance trips for the summer because why not.  We've been cooped up in our home for over a year.

We're gonna party like it's 1999.

We are already planning two trips for the summer. Get out 2nd shots soon and then we will be ready to rock.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2021, 12:06:06 PM »

We're getting our travel in this late winter/spring, and then planning mostly local/camping stuff for summer since we expect travel to be absolutely nuts (in terms of crowds & prices) this summer.

feedback