collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lost sense of smell - often first symptom  (Read 5591 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Lost sense of smell - often first symptom
« on: March 23, 2020, 10:46:15 AM »
This seems important:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.html

in South Korea, where testing has been widespread, 30 percent of 2,000 patients who tested positive experienced anosmia (lack of smell/taste) as their major presenting symptom (these were mild cases).

and

doctors say they have concluded that loss of taste and smell is an indication that a person who otherwise seems healthy is in fact carrying the virus and may be spreading it to others.

“Almost everybody who is hospitalized has this same story,” said Dr. Marco Metra, chief of the cardiology department at the main hospital in Brescia, where 700 of 1,200 inpatients have the coronavirus. “You ask about the patient’s wife or husband. And the patient says, ‘My wife has just lost her smell and taste but otherwise she is well.’ So she is likely infected, and she is spreading it with a very mild form.”

Coleman

• All American
Re: Lost sense of smell - often first symptom
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
This would have come in handy in McCormick Hall

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
I’ve had a loss of appetite, but the smell is working find. Just dropped a bomb in the bathroom and practically puked
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 07:04:46 PM »
I’ve had a loss of appetite, but the smell is working find. Just dropped a bomb in the bathroom and practically puked

I saw you post people in your building are positive .. have you tested positive?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
Smell might be, but your spelling isn't. Just kidding.  Stay safe, my friend

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 08:09:40 PM »

Good thing it was in the bathroom...I woulda suggested wooden matches but sounds like that coulda created a fire hazard, enn’a hey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 10:57:06 PM »
I saw you post people in your building are positive .. have you tested positive?

I haven't been tested. I have many low-level symptoms with an exception of fever. Don't have one.

If I was a regular joe, hanging out with me isn't something I'd do, but honestly I have no idea. And I'm not a testing candidate. There is one person in our building that has been confirmed to my building.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
Came across this article yesterday, and it points out how terrible our messaging has been on a national level.  In march here we were talking about loss of taste and smell, it's now on the CDC website, but some of this girls friends still didn't know that could be a symptom?  Everyone in the country should be well aware of symptoms of covid by now.  #fail

https://www.today.com/food/teen-realizes-she-has-covid-19-tiktok-tasting-starbucks-t202929
"I was very close to deleting the original video, because I didn't expect it to go anywhere," she explained. "It wasn't like I had a big platform or anything. I'm glad that I did keep it out because I got a lot of good feedback and people saying, 'Oh my gosh, I have the same symptoms you do, but I never would have thought I had COVID, you inspired me to get tested,' or 'I didn't know this could be a symptom, thank you for letting me know.'"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 11:54:22 AM »
Came across this article yesterday, and it points out how terrible our messaging has been on a national level.  In march here we were talking about loss of taste and smell, it's now on the CDC website, but some of this girls friends still didn't know that could be a symptom?  Everyone in the country should be well aware of symptoms of covid by now.  #fail

https://www.today.com/food/teen-realizes-she-has-covid-19-tiktok-tasting-starbucks-t202929

I saw this.  Also, the numbers would now say a better screening tool would be a smell test versus temperature in preventing people that don't know they have the virus from entering a location.  I dont think it's caught on one bit though.  I still get my temp taken before entering my office.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 08:14:21 PM »
  my dad, an 85 year old stroke victim just tested positive for covid 4 days ago.  he was only suspect for covid when he was found to be super fatigued with a low O2 saturation level.  we took him to ER where his sat level improved, so they sent him back to nursing home(not in new york ::)).  he is only the 2nd known covid case in his nursing home to date.  the other was just a few weeks ago.  he has had no other symptoms.  he is not on any medications for the covid

the biggest challenges right now are loneliness, the lack of outside interaction and the inability to physically exercise, do his walks up & down the hallways.  he will probably never walk again due this inactivity.  who knows when any of us will be able to visit face to face with him again. 

i only mention this to show the wide variety of how different people of different ages are affected     

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 08:16:37 PM »
  my dad, an 85 year old stroke victim just tested positive for covid 4 days ago.  he was only suspect for covid when he was found to be super fatigued with a low O2 saturation level.  we took him to ER where his sat level improved, so they sent him back to nursing home(not in new york ::)).  he is only the 2nd known covid case in his nursing home to date.  the other was just a few weeks ago.  he has had no other symptoms.  he is not on any medications for the covid

the biggest challenges right now are loneliness, the lack of outside interaction and the inability to physically exercise, do his walks up & down the hallways.  he will probably never walk again due this inactivity.  who knows when any of us will be able to visit face to face with him again. 

i only mention this to show the wide variety of how different people of different ages are affected     

Hope and pray he gets better rocket. I know he means a great deal to you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 08:31:04 PM »
Hope and pray he gets better rocket. I know he means a great deal to you.

Prayers for your dad 🚀

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 09:12:06 PM »
  thanks guys!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 09:13:36 PM »

Sorry about your dad, rocket. Hope he gets through this quickly.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 09:58:35 PM »
Best wishes to him, rocket. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 10:30:10 PM »
Prayers.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 06:17:46 AM »

Sorry to hear this.  Our elderly population has been hit especially hard by this.  They're essentially prisoners, and it is absolutely heartbreaking.  Here's hoping you get to see him in person soon, rocket.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
I was worried about and experience with a loss of taste being a sign I had COVID, but then I realized I'd grabbed a Bud Light by accident.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
Hoo farted, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 02:25:24 PM »
Can't tell.  Almost 6 weeks in and my sense of smell hasn't returned.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2020, 07:53:05 PM »
Can't tell.  Almost 6 weeks in and my sense of smell hasn't returned.

One of my coworkers suffered this effect for at least 4 months...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 09:02:38 PM »
thanks again for the scoop prayers-they must have worked!  they consider him covid-free, are disinfecting his room and re-open for business.  at least now, the aides can come in more often to get him up and around.  in all honesty, dad was hoping this would take him, but the "Big Guy" is sayin nyet

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 09:14:58 PM »
thanks again for the scoop prayers-they must have worked!  they consider him covid-free, are disinfecting his room and re-open for business.  at least now, the aides can come in more often to get him up and around.  in all honesty, dad was hoping this would take him, but the "Big Guy" is sayin nyet

That’s great, rocket! So glad to hear he is OK.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »
So, what I can only assume is a post-COVID symptom, as I have never had anything like it before.    I cannot wear a wool scarf.    For the first time in my life, a wool scarf on my neck feels like it is filled with needles.    Maybe my skin is a little dryer post COVID,  I don't know.    I am chalking it up to COVID and hopeful it gets better as the winter progresses.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
So, what I can only assume is a post-COVID symptom, as I have never had anything like it before.    I cannot wear a wool scarf.    For the first time in my life, a wool scarf on my neck feels like it is filled with needles.    Maybe my skin is a little dryer post COVID,  I don't know.    I am chalking it up to COVID and hopeful it gets better as the winter progresses.

Huh, that's interesting.  We need a study into this scarf test of yours!

feedback