[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stan Johnson is new LMU Head Coach  (Read 59522 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Stan Johnson is new LMU Head Coach
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2020, 11:29:36 AM »
Possibly one of the most bloated,misguided posts in MUScoop history.  Just an Observation

What does Andy Reid have to do with Wojo?  Reid is successful - always has been - always been an innovator - always a winner - Wojo hasn't.  Just an Observation

Buzz has had success everywhere he's gone, Wojo has not.  Buzz's players have had mountains more of success.   Just an Observation

Fiserv is beginning to sound like a funeral home and the students aren't happy.  Wojo's P/L is trending downward into the red and that will continue next year as there's no reason to watch the team from a casual standpoint.  MU Home Ec team better start sewing up some more seat covers for the student section. Hoop heads are beginning to be what's left of MU's fan base.  This just isn't an exciting product on the court.  Tickets aren't purchased because it looks like the players are studying.

As far as aptitude goes, you're defending Wojo's Woes with the Big E - Experience.  His gaffes on the court are the product of not being aware of what's going on, an inability to teach, how to react, and being in over his head.  Wojo's simplistic offense is rather easy to figure out and has been shutdown the last 2 seasons - during the 2nd half of conference play - when teams become cohesive, executing more efficiently.

There's no Profit, only Loss here, and more to come.  Sadly, you just can't see that due to a severe lack of basketball experience/knowledge.

This is completely wrong. Go look at the advanced stats. 1 year the problem was offense, 1 year the problem was defense

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
This is completely wrong. Go look at the advanced stats. 1 year the problem was offense, 1 year the problem was defense

Watch the games.  There's a lot being left on the table.  Total underutilization of talent and cohesiveness. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
Darrin Horn to Western Kentucky and Tim Buckley to Ball State. Bots took over at programs coming off NCAA appearances and coaches who jumped to high majors. Or are those two examples too old for you?

I'm not sure what the too old comment was in reference to but no I remember them. But I didn't remember that both were coming off NCAA appearances at the time. I think the MAC and Sun Belt are both low major conferences whereas the WCC is mid-major but maybe the fact that they were coming off tournament appearances makes them better starting points than LMU.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:41:58 AM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »

Watching the games, I think it’s fair to say Markus did most of the heavy lifting to bring the overall team analytics to where they are this season.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2020, 11:43:26 AM »
Possibly one of the most bloated,misguided posts in MUScoop history.  Just an Observation

What does Andy Reid have to do with Wojo?  Reid is successful - always has been - always been an innovator - always a winner - Wojo hasn't.  Just an Observation

Buzz has had success everywhere he's gone, Wojo has not.  Buzz's players have had mountains more of success.   Just an Observation

Fiserv is beginning to sound like a funeral home and the students aren't happy.  Wojo's P/L is trending downward into the red and that will continue next year as there's no reason to watch the team from a casual standpoint.  MU Home Ec team better start sewing up some more seat covers for the student section. Hoop heads are beginning to be what's left of MU's fan base.  This just isn't an exciting product on the court.  Tickets aren't purchased because it looks like the players are studying.

As far as aptitude goes, you're defending Wojo's Woes with the Big E - Experience.  His gaffes on the court are the product of not being aware of what's going on, an inability to teach, how to react, and being in over his head.  Wojo's simplistic offense is rather easy to figure out and has been shutdown the last 2 seasons - during the 2nd half of conference play - when teams become cohesive, executing more efficiently.

There's no Profit, only Loss here, and more to come.  Sadly, you just can't see that due to a severe lack of basketball experience/knowledge.

Agree with everything completely. Especially opening comments.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »
Watching the games, I think it’s fair to say Markus did most of the heavy lifting to bring the overall team analytics to where they are this season.

Oh okay.

If you discount what Aaron Rodgers did last year, the Packers weren't very good.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2020, 12:09:00 PM »
Wojo is a great offensive coach. We've had a top-20 offense when healthy each of the past 4 years. There are plenty of other valid criticisms, but if the offense is so easy to figure out, why are all these Big East coaches not stopping it (top-3 in conference play each of the past 4 years)?

His lineup selections, his defense, his recruiting, there are plenty of valid reasons to tear him down, but the offense is not one of those. Wojo has been an elite offensive coach. It's the one thing he's consistently good at.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »
Wojo is a great offensive coach. We've had a top-20 offense when healthy each of the past 4 years. There are plenty of other valid criticisms, but if the offense is so easy to figure out, why are all these Big East coaches not stopping it (top-3 in conference play each of the past 4 years)?

His lineup selections, his defense, his recruiting, there are plenty of valid reasons to tear him down, but the offense is not one of those. Wojo has been an elite offensive coach. It's the one thing he's consistently good at.

Hold my Beer brewcity77 - Dave Leitao

panda

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2020, 12:15:23 PM »
Oh okay.

If you discount what Aaron Rodgers did last year, the Packers weren't very good.

Is the offense good because of Markus Howard or Wojo?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »
Hold my Beer brewcity77 - Dave Leitao

You aren't seriously dumb enough to try to use one data point over a four year stretch as indicative of anything greater than that, are you?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »
You aren't seriously dumb enough to try to use one data point over a four year stretch as indicative of anything greater than that, are you?
I mean...... I can start citing lack of ball movement, offensive system, and player development offensively. 

The fact you think Wojo is an elite offensive coach has me laughing.  You're more clueless than Wojo up 3 when the other team brings the ball up the court.   

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
This is feeling like the gravy on the frosting of Wojo's demise. "Stan" defection(s) would not surprise and we are facing a minimally talented roster without a lead/successful recruiter. Can't miss on this coaching hire and it must be quick.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
I mean...... I can start citing lack of ball movement, offensive system, and player development offensively. 

The fact you think Wojo is an elite offensive coach has me laughing.  You're more clueless than Wojo up 3 when the other team brings the ball up the court.

You can start citing all the BS you like, but what the actual results prove you wrong. You don't have to like the math, but it's real.

I would part ways with Wojo today, but the offense isn't the reason why.

John Calipari, Randy Bennett, Jay Wright, Chris Mack, Mike Krzyzweski, Bill Self, & Mark Few are the only other coaches in the country to be top-35 in offensive efficiency each of the past 4 years. You don't have to like the guy, but only an idiot would refuse to concede he's ran an elite offense.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »
You can start citing all the BS you like, but what the actual results prove you wrong. You don't have to like the math, but it's real.

John Calipari, Randy Bennett, Jay Wright, Chris Mack, Mike Krzyzweski, Bill Self, & Mark Few are the only other coaches in the country to be top-35 in offensive efficiency each of the past 4 years. You don't have to like the guy, but only an idiot would refuse to concede he's ran an elite offense.

An elite offense doesn't get shutdown when one guy is contained or stopped.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2020, 01:05:27 PM »

The stats are what they are Brew. Yet, it also must be acknowledged that the last 4 years were buoyed by having the programs all-time leading scorer - by a wide margin - on the roster. Rowsey also was one of our most elite offensive players. Sam was solid AF. We can credit Wojo for getting those players together, but truly I don’t think we can say it is Wojo’s coaching/scheme that are why we’ve ranked so high last 4 years.

Assume we don’t get Mane or Carton, do you think we stand any chance of being a Top 50 offense next year?  If no major offensive piece is added I suspect we are in the 75-125 range.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »
Sadly, there are many Projos who will tune into LMU games just to root against Stan.

Sad.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2020, 01:27:16 PM »
Assume we don’t get Mane or Carton, do you think we stand any chance of being a Top 50 offense next year?  If no major offensive piece is added I suspect we are in the 75-125 range.

I’m far more worried about next year's defense. I look at how far Sacar and Bailey came as shooters and how we were all panicked about the loss of shooting and yet we were still one of the top 3PFG% teams. They'll find a way on that end.

But defensively, Howard was better than people give him credit for. Anim was our best defensive wing. And while Jayce was just an average defender, his rebounding ended a lot of possessions. While we add speed and length with the freshmen, that was the same thing we thought would help this year & it didn't.

We might take a small step back offensively, but I feel like we'll take a giant leap back defensively.

And while there's the "Howard glossed over the offensive inadequacies" argument, so did Fischer, Rowsey, the Hausers, and we thrived after all of them left. The defense, on the other hand, has never really thrived. I feel like a repeat of 2018 is probably on the table for next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2020, 01:36:20 PM »
Sadly, there are many Projos who will tune into LMU games just to root against Stan.

Sad.

What?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2020, 01:53:03 PM »
What?

You missed the sarcasm. ProJos have posted many times here that those of us who are NoJos tuned in wanting us to lose or hoping for us to lose.

I’m as big of NoJo as there’s been but I never have rooted for MU to lose. However, it is now getting to that point as it seems our Admin are enamored with Wojo via extending undeserved contract extensions. At some point they need to face reality - we are not getting ROI commensurate with the investment. So. What is the wake up call?  Perhaps a train wreck of a season will finally be enough to compel them to action.

Yet that all being said, it would still be impossible for me to legitimately root against MU.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2020, 01:53:32 PM »
I'm not sure what the too old comment was in reference to but no I remember them. But I didn't remember that both were coming off NCAA appearances at the time. I think the MAC and Sun Belt are both low major conferences whereas the WCC is mid-major but maybe the fact that they were coming off tournament appearances makes them better starting points than LMU.

The MAC, at the time, was a mid-major, multi-bid league. Teams were making runs like Kent State and Miami and they were frequently getting multiple bids, Ball State included.  WKU was coming off three straight tourney appearances. Like Gonzaga, they were at a higher level than the rest of the conference. LMU has been a bottom feeder in the WCC, only having 7 winning records in 30 years (with 10 seasons single digit victories). But maybe the facts need to shift because it’s Saint Stan we’re talking about...
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2020, 02:15:10 PM »
The MAC, at the time, was a mid-major, multi-bid league. Teams were making runs like Kent State and Miami and they were frequently getting multiple bids, Ball State included.  WKU was coming off three straight tourney appearances. Like Gonzaga, they were at a higher level than the rest of the conference. LMU has been a bottom feeder in the WCC, only having 7 winning records in 30 years (with 10 seasons single digit victories). But maybe the facts need to shift because it’s Saint Stan we’re talking about...

I think you have confused with someone else. I've never been on the Stan the Savior bandwagon, quite the opposite in fact. I asked a simple question and then agreed with you when you made a counterpoint. And I'll agree again, the MAC was better than I remembered at that time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2020, 02:17:57 PM »

What do you have against “Saint Stan?”  Share for us how you feel he failed the program and our university?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
I’m far more worried about next year's defense. I look at how far Sacar and Bailey came as shooters and how we were all panicked about the loss of shooting and yet we were still one of the top 3PFG% teams. They'll find a way on that end.

But defensively, Howard was better than people give him credit for. Anim was our best defensive wing. And while Jayce was just an average defender, his rebounding ended a lot of possessions. While we add speed and length with the freshmen, that was the same thing we thought would help this year & it didn't.

We might take a small step back offensively, but I feel like we'll take a giant leap back defensively.

And while there's the "Howard glossed over the offensive inadequacies" argument, so did Fischer, Rowsey, the Hausers, and we thrived after all of them left. The defense, on the other hand, has never really thrived. I feel like a repeat of 2018 is probably on the table for next year.

My gut says just the opposite. We will be better defensively, but worse offensively. I think our D rating is better than our O rating at end of year. Guess we will see.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2020, 03:39:06 PM »
If you read anything about the current state of the coaching carousel in college basketball, it's that there are very few openings this year, due to the virus and after effects.  It's more of an indictment on the situation at MU.

Last year more coaching movement and he was not grabbed.  Maybe a better opportunity didn’t exist.  I’m not sold that if it wasn’t for a past MU connection with LMU’s AD, does he get hired at all?

Not to you but to others in the stream, LMU May play in a fairly strong conference, but that doesn’t overcome where they are amongst their conference peers.  If one were to calculate the total wins and losses of that conference the past 30 years, LMU will be near the bottom.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2020, 04:28:52 PM »
Last year more coaching movement and he was not grabbed.  Maybe a better opportunity didn’t exist.  I’m not sold that if it wasn’t for a past MU connection with LMU’s AD, does he get hired at all?

Not to you but to others in the stream, LMU May play in a fairly strong conference, but that doesn’t overcome where they are amongst their conference peers.  If one were to calculate the total wins and losses of that conference the past 30 years, LMU will be near the bottom.

He was a finalist at Fresno a couple years ago and turned down an interview at Southern Utah, his alma mater, just before that.

No idea why you’ve chosen this topic to sh*t on Stan though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback