* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Its DJOver
[Today at 08:47:05 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stan Johnson is new LMU Head Coach  (Read 59600 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Stan Johnson is new LMU Head Coach
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2020, 08:57:12 PM »
Warrior Dad.The conference is better than you think.It was going to send 3 teams to the NCAA tourney.Those 3 teams probably would have beat MU.In my opinion a very underrated league.Also MU hired O'Neill,Crean,Williams and Wojo not knowing if any could coach.To single out Stan is wrong.

Admittedly have a Midwest and East Coast bias.  I know very little about LMU or west coast basketball. That league appears to be three teams, one so-so and six low majors from the rankings.

My view of Stan Johnson is positive and wish him nothing but success.  Those assistants you mentioned we hired to MU came right into a high major program, and LMU is not a high major and not sure they are a mid major either.  As much praise as Stan Johnson receives here from some members it would seem he could land a higher major job like Crean and Wojo did coming here.  O’Neill came to MU when we were probably a mid major status, but still higher than LMU.  They had a short run in their entire history, and have not been to the tournament in 30 years. 

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2020, 09:08:58 PM »
I believe WOJO is accountable for hiring and developing his assistant coaches including Stan and Brett. Just an observation. In my business world I paid attention to my leaders that developed future leaders to sustain and grow my business. I reflected on the last MU head coach to develop a D1 coach and was struggling to come up with post Al list. I came up with Darrin Horn to WKU returning to his alma mater. There is the grad assistant Lawrence Franks under O'Neil that went to the penthouse with the Clippers. I am at a loss for coaches under Buzz that have developed into D1 coaches under him which could be my memory. Brett and Stan are major losses on and off the court for the University. Yet, Coach Killings has been a terrific addition to the University on and off the court from my experience. Just an observation.

What if the top leader in your business wasn’t performing very well from a P&L perspective?

Did their ability to recruit and nurture potential future leaders who leave your company trump their business unit barely breaking even if not losing?

I credit Wojo for surrounding himself with talented and charismatic assistants. He needs that. A good leader does know their weakness. However, a leader/coach has to have a certain aptitude for the position.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2020, 09:09:14 PM »
I can already see LMU on the schedule in a few years.  Stan Johnson will come into the Fiserv and dismantle Wojo, which will lead to Wojo's firing.

Stan during the Handshake at the end of the game:  "The circle is now complete. When I met you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
I can already see LMU on the schedule in a few years.  Stan Johnson will come into the Fiserv and dismantle Wojo, which will lead to Wojo's firing.

Stan during the Handshake at the end of the game:  "The circle is now complete. When I met you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master"

Yeah given how the guy Wojo spent 25 years under between playing and assisting handles scheduling games against former players or assistants, I highly doubt you’ll see LMU on MU’s schedule during Stan’s time there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
Yeah given how the guy Wojo spent 25 years under between playing and assisting handles scheduling games against former players or assistants, I highly doubt you’ll see LMU on MU’s schedule during Stan’s time there.

After almost 13 thousand posts you still can't sense sarcasm?

Here, let's make it easier then.....  in the NIT. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2020, 09:19:17 PM »

A classy move by Coach K as he pretty much knows he and his blue chips will beat his former assistants teams.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2020, 09:23:45 PM »
A classy move by Coach K as he pretty much knows he and his blue chips will beat his former assistants teams.

See I view it as not having the opportunity to be humiliated by losing to your former employee, given K’s ego

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2020, 09:25:09 PM »
This is the exact type of job where a high major assistant usually starts their career.

The top high major assistants do not start at jobs like this.  That leads me to conclude he is either a top major assistant flying under the radar that settled for a lower level job or is not a top high major assistant but an assistant coach at high major.

Snyder, Hopkins, Crean, Wojo, Gard, Steve Robinson, Dawkins, Dooley, Collins, Amaker, Horn, Gregory, Marta,  Fox, started at schools much higher in basketball than LMU.  They did not all succeed, but they were considered top assistant coaches.  Hope he kills it out there. Any success will be hailed as great considering where they have been most of the last thirty years.  Seven winning seasons, 23 losing seasons.  Only two seasons of 20 or more wins.  Has his work cut out for him.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »
The top high major assistants do not start at jobs like this.  That leads me to conclude he is either a top major assistant flying under the radar that settled for a lower level job or is not a top high major assistant but an assistant coach at high major.

Snyder, Hopkins, Crean, Wojo, Gard, Steve Robinson, Dawkins, Dooley, Collins, Amaker, Horn, Gregory, Marta,  Fox, started at schools much higher in basketball than LMU.  They did not all succeed, but they were considered top assistant coaches.  Hope he kills it out there. Any success will be hailed as great considering where they have been most of the last thirty years.  Seven winning seasons, 23 losing seasons.  Only two seasons of 20 or more wins.  Has his work cut out for him.

If you read anything about the current state of the coaching carousel in college basketball, it's that there are very few openings this year, due to the virus and after effects.  It's more of an indictment on the situation at MU. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »
Admittedly have a Midwest and East Coast bias.  I know very little about LMU or west coast basketball. That league appears to be three teams, one so-so and six low majors from the rankings.

My view of Stan Johnson is positive and wish him nothing but success.  Those assistants you mentioned we hired to MU came right into a high major program, and LMU is not a high major and not sure they are a mid major either.  As much praise as Stan Johnson receives here from some members it would seem he could land a higher major job like Crean and Wojo did coming here.  O’Neill came to MU when we were probably a mid major status, but still higher than LMU.  They had a short run in their entire history, and have not been to the tournament in 30 years.

When did Marquette become Duke or Michigan St.?

It's a good opportunity for Stan and his family. He gets to run his own program, in a top 10 D-1 basketball league, well compensated, in a desirable geography.

Warrior-Eagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2020, 10:10:36 PM »
What if the top leader in your business wasn’t performing very well from a P&L perspective?

Did their ability to recruit and nurture potential future leaders who leave your company trump their business unit barely breaking even if not losing?

I credit Wojo for surrounding himself with talented and charismatic assistants. He needs that. A good leader does know their weakness. However, a leader/coach has to have a certain aptitude for the position.

Elonmusk what a great set of questions.

Undoubtedly, the P&L is a critical part of the scorecard in my businesses and in some businesses it tended to be the only scorecard. Yet, I learned galvanizing culture, teamwork, effective decision making, leadership development were critical ingredients to sustainable performance versus situational success. More importantly, I looked for near catostrophic failure to find my best leaders. WHY? the ability to overcome the fear of failure which holds many young high potential leaders back from their potential. Perhaps, that is why I enjoyed Andy Reid winning the super bowl this year given his failure in Philly.I thought he was a decent assistant coach with the Packers as well. Just an observation.

Honestly, I had more people exit my businesses because they could not tolerate arrogant leaders that situationally had a strong financial performance versus great leaders dealing with bad secular trends because the market shifted. That appeared to be the issue with Buzz and continued at VT versus WOJO. Just an observation. 

You are right... Great leaders are self aware or humble enough to embrace their their weaknesses. Aptitude is a function of experience, mistakes and the ability to learn from mistakes IMHO.Just an observation.

I am a fan of agreeing to disagree then it mean that we are both in pursuit of a better answer. I believe that WOJO is right for our program and the investment is part of the leadership development process. Currently, we are agreement for the first 23 games of the last two seasons. Culture, teamwork, P&L. Yet, the agreement breakdown by game 29 the last two years. Oversimplification and wanting the same outcome of sustainable success for MU basketball. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2020, 11:19:54 PM »
Congrats to Stan, definitely going to miss him here. Will be interesting to see who they can nab as a replacement.

Honest question, has any other MU assistant gotten a better first head coaching gig immediately after leaving MU? The only past examples I can think of all went to low major gigs. LMU is a mid major and I think has some nice aspects that the right coach could turn into a winner.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2020, 11:52:15 PM »
This is great for Stan and for MU.
I've always enjoyed the WCC and it would be great if Stan can build another decent program to join the top tier with Gonzaga and St. Mary's.  USF and Todd Golden are trying to do the same... Stan has Golden as his benchmark for the next few years... who, by the way went 22-12 in his first season. 

Stan can recruit the west coast well - that's already known.  Now we all get to see if he can actually coach.  If he can, then he becomes a future MU candidate.  If not, it's somebody else's problem. 

Why is it great for MU?  If Wojo has any self-awareness he'll bring in a complementary personality and someone with game coaching skills to add balance and capability to the coaching staff. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2020, 11:58:07 PM »

Why is it great for MU?  If Wojo has any self-awareness he'll bring in a complementary personality and someone with game coaching skills to add balance and capability to the coaching staff.

Yes sir, don’t simply fire and replace Wojo’s incompetent butt with someone way better, instead keep paying him 2 mil plus and bring in someone who’s not incompetent at in game coaching to prop up Wojo. Solid plan.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2020, 12:07:03 AM »
Yes sir, don’t simply fire and replace Wojo’s incompetent butt with someone way better, instead keep paying him 2 mil plus and bring in someone who’s not incompetent at in game coaching to prop up Wojo. Solid plan.
In light of the fact that Wojo is not going anywhere it's a better option than bringing in the best a$$ kisser or promoting from within. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2020, 12:17:58 AM »
In light of the fact that Wojo is not going anywhere it's a better option than bringing in the best a$$ kisser or promoting from within.

Yes, quite the dumpster fire raging.

Warrior-Eagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2020, 12:42:27 AM »
Yes, quite the dumpster fire raging.

I appreciate your passion for getting the program to a top 25 plus level. Yet, I am waiting for your advice on the solution. Again, problem spotters  are abundant. Just share with us the solution..........

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2020, 01:06:55 AM »
Congrats to Stan, definitely going to miss him here. Will be interesting to see who they can nab as a replacement.

Honest question, has any other MU assistant gotten a better first head coaching gig immediately after leaving MU? The only past examples I can think of all went to low major gigs. LMU is a mid major and I think has some nice aspects that the right coach could turn into a winner.

Darrin Horn to Western Kentucky and Tim Buckley to Ball State. Bots took over at programs coming off NCAA appearances and coaches who jumped to high majors. Or are those two examples too old for you?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2020, 05:24:51 AM »
Those are the last ones that are close, though the MAC & Sun Belt (where those teams resided at the time) have two combined at large bids this century. The WCC would've had two at-large bids this year & 17 at-large bids in the same timespan. Easily the biggest job since those two and arguably bigger than either of them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2020, 05:45:53 AM »
I appreciate your passion for getting the program to a top 25 plus level. Yet, I am waiting for your advice on the solution. Again, problem spotters  are abundant. Just share with us the solution..........

My post of firing his incompetent butt wasn’t clear enough for you?  It’s not going to be that difficult doing better than him.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2020, 06:48:43 AM »
Stan will eventually make his way to the University of Arizona, where he will ultimately cut down the nets.

We missed a good opportunity.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2020, 07:25:47 AM »
On a serious note, my first call would be former New Mexico State video coordinator Jordan Sperber. Understands game breakdowns & tendencies as well as anyone and really gets the advanced metrics that are necessary to a functional modern day staff.

I am a Paula Sperber fan maybe we could get her and Jordan

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:28:47 AM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2020, 07:58:56 AM »
I believe WOJO is accountable for hiring and developing his assistant coaches including Stan and Brett. Just an observation. In my business world I paid attention to my leaders that developed future leaders to sustain and grow my business. I reflected on the last MU head coach to develop a D1 coach and was struggling to come up with post Al list. I came up with Darrin Horn to WKU returning to his alma mater. There is the grad assistant Lawrence Franks under O'Neil that went to the penthouse with the Clippers. I am at a loss for coaches under Buzz that have developed into D1 coaches under him which could be my memory. Brett and Stan are major losses on and off the court for the University. Yet, Coach Killings has been a terrific addition to the University on and off the court from my experience. Just an observation.

Crean had Tod Kowalczyk (?). Wardle and Jean prileau (?) Became head coaches after stops elsewhere.

For Buzz, Tony Benford comes to mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2020, 08:09:23 AM »
Buzz also had Dale Layer for a year as an assistant before he became head coach at Liberty.  But I don't think that really counts.

One former Buzz assistant who was very much touted as a future head coach is Isaac Chew, who I think is out of a job at the moment.  He went from A&M to Grand Canyon, and I'm not sure is being retained by Bryce Drew.  Wonder if Buzz and he had a falling out of some sort?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »
Elonmusk what a great set of questions.

Undoubtedly, the P&L is a critical part of the scorecard in my businesses and in some businesses it tended to be the only scorecard. Yet, I learned galvanizing culture, teamwork, effective decision making, leadership development were critical ingredients to sustainable performance versus situational success. More importantly, I looked for near catostrophic failure to find my best leaders. WHY? the ability to overcome the fear of failure which holds many young high potential leaders back from their potential. Perhaps, that is why I enjoyed Andy Reid winning the super bowl this year given his failure in Philly.I thought he was a decent assistant coach with the Packers as well. Just an observation.

Honestly, I had more people exit my businesses because they could not tolerate arrogant leaders that situationally had a strong financial performance versus great leaders dealing with bad secular trends because the market shifted. That appeared to be the issue with Buzz and continued at VT versus WOJO. Just an observation. 

You are right... Great leaders are self aware or humble enough to embrace their their weaknesses. Aptitude is a function of experience, mistakes and the ability to learn from mistakes IMHO.Just an observation.

I am a fan of agreeing to disagree then it mean that we are both in pursuit of a better answer. I believe that WOJO is right for our program and the investment is part of the leadership development process. Currently, we are agreement for the first 23 games of the last two seasons. Culture, teamwork, P&L. Yet, the agreement breakdown by game 29 the last two years. Oversimplification and wanting the same outcome of sustainable success for MU basketball.

Possibly one of the most bloated,misguided posts in MUScoop history.  Just an Observation

What does Andy Reid have to do with Wojo?  Reid is successful - always has been - always been an innovator - always a winner - Wojo hasn't.  Just an Observation

Buzz has had success everywhere he's gone, Wojo has not.  Buzz's players have had mountains more of success.   Just an Observation

Fiserv is beginning to sound like a funeral home and the students aren't happy.  Wojo's P/L is trending downward into the red and that will continue next year as there's no reason to watch the team from a casual standpoint.  MU Home Ec team better start sewing up some more seat covers for the student section. Hoop heads are beginning to be what's left of MU's fan base.  This just isn't an exciting product on the court.  Tickets aren't purchased because it looks like the players are studying.

As far as aptitude goes, you're defending Wojo's Woes with the Big E - Experience.  His gaffes on the court are the product of not being aware of what's going on, an inability to teach, how to react, and being in over his head.  Wojo's simplistic offense is rather easy to figure out and has been shutdown the last 2 seasons - during the 2nd half of conference play - when teams become cohesive, executing more efficiently.

There's no Profit, only Loss here, and more to come.  Sadly, you just can't see that due to a severe lack of basketball experience/knowledge.

feedback