[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Purchasing a Tablet (2-in-1)  (Read 1241 times)

Eldon

• All American
Purchasing a Tablet (2-in-1)
« on: March 19, 2020, 10:16:00 PM »
Anyone here have a non-Apple tablet?

Tablets have come a long way since they first came out around 2012--and I mean a long way.  They've come so far that I'm thinking about buying one.

What's your experience with tablets?  Once you bought it, were you like "wow, how did I ever live without one of these?!?!"

Or is it more like "meh, this is kind of cool I guess." 

I was recently looking at the Microsoft Surface Pro 7.  I've had my eye on the 16gb RAM version.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Purchasing a Tablet (2-in-1)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:27:59 PM »
I've tried to integrate tablets into my life .. hasn't happened.  I have a Surface Pro 6 for board work .. it's ok.

For me, it boils down to typing efficiency .. I need a solid keyboard or it drives me bonkers.   So when I have a tablet .. I tend to do more viewing, less working, waiting until I get to a real keyboard.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »
Wife uses a Lenovo Yoga for her home machine. It's my favorite machine ever. Wish I had it instead of my Macbook Pro for work. Way better than my Surface Pro. Essentially you get the durability of the battle tank Lenovo with a complete convertible touch screen. It's awesome.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »
Just to be sure, I meant tablet + pen + keyboard.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 10:36:46 PM »
Our firm uses Surface Pros. I got a Surface Pro X yesterday. Sublime.

Super fast Qualcomm microprocessor makes IoT scream, redesigned stylus, all day battery, big hi def screen.

Nothing compares.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 11:20:36 PM »
Was in the same boat. But ended up with a chrome book.  Love it, other than not being a fully foldable unit.

Just household use, no gaming or heavy streaming other than sports.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:29:17 PM »
I'd trust ZFB on this one. Lots of experience with 2 in 1

BTW, I've been thinking, "what can I buy that will help me in these coming weeks/months that doesn't take up a lot of space?"

My home laptop is old af. I should get a new one. Anyone have advice as to what to purchase?

I need to do a lot of websurfing, turbotax, some VIDEO EDITING but not pro level, just basic stuff.... video and music editing I might want to do some of, but just want it to be fast... not crazy crazy fast...

Any suggestions from scoopers on what my minimum requirements should be on computer specs? Oh, also, want a 17" screen probably such that the keyboard has a ten key...

..also, where do I buy from?

Thanks for any suggestions.

#LastDays
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 03:38:46 AM »
Wife uses a Lenovo Yoga for her home machine. It's my favorite machine ever. Wish I had it instead of my Macbook Pro for work. Way better than my Surface Pro. Essentially you get the durability of the battle tank Lenovo with a complete convertible touch screen. It's awesome.

I picked up a cheap Yoga just for the purpose of running a SkyTrak golf simulator a couple months ago. It’s an incredible machine, I use it all the time. Our family computer is a MacBook Pro, and this is way, way better.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 05:58:33 AM »
I really like my Surface Book 2. You can easily detach the screen from the keyboard which is great for sketching. The only thing I don't like is that it runs Windows 10 RT and won't let me download Google Chrome. Even the Geek guys at Best Buy could not find a way to download it. Maybe some one here knows how? Not that I must have google Chrome. Edge seems just fine.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:28:28 AM by muwarrior69 »