[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Life Altering Events  (Read 11499 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Life Altering Events
« on: March 19, 2020, 09:51:18 PM »
I've been around for two events in my life that I would consider to be life/world altering events on an international scale.  The first was 9/11 and now the coronavirus.  When did you come to realize this was going to affect your life in such a big way?

I honestly think for me it was when the ESPN alert came up on my phone last Wednesday afternoon that the Warriors were going to play without fans for the foreseeable future.  There had been rumors that type of thing would be happening here, there were videos of soccer games overseas being played like that, but it always felt distant and like it just wouldn't happen here.  Once that announcement came out I knew everyone would follow suit and go to fan-less games.  I still didn't believe they'd cancel March Madness, suspend the NBA season, etc.

Once the news about Gobert testing positive came out it was clear things were about to change.  And boy did they change fast.

Crazy times.  With 9/11 it obviously wasn't something you saw developing elsewhere throughout the world first.  And, as a middle schooler when that happened, it seemingly didn't affect my life like this.  For me, life just went on really.  I didn't know any victims or anything like that.  I knew it was a very sad and scary thing but my life kind of just went on.  With this it is literally changing everyone's daily life, and we have no idea how long this might go on.  Wild to think that 10 days ago this felt like a "I know this is out there but it will never get that bad here" to "well, this is life for now" almost overnight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Life Altering Events
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:33 PM »
Messed up that Gobert's foolishness may have been the spark that made people wake up and pay attention.

What a timeline.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:13:32 PM »
I'm not sure if this will be life altering like 9/11 was.

Though this may lead to openings such as basic income and universal healthcare.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 03:07:13 AM »

This is going to be worse. A couple weeks after 9/11, people went back to living their lives with some routine.

Maybe I’m overreacting here but I’m not sure what things are going to look like in a month. Or six. Or a year.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:12:18 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 03:34:03 AM »
This is going to be worse. A couple weeks after 9/11, people went back to living their lives with some routine.

Maybe I’m overreacting here but I’m not sure what things are going to look like in a month. Or six. Or a year.

Going with Fluffs here. 9/11 is going to seem like a day in history compared to the period of time COVID19 wrecks.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 05:59:22 AM »
Oh this is going to be way worse than 9/11.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 06:15:47 AM »
Its just a sad deal. Crazy how fast this all went down. I mean we just dont expect things like this to happen anymore. Never crossed my mind my whole life some disease would do this much damage here. The uncertainty is very bothersome. You wonder what this country looks like when we hit 250k confirmed cases.. 1million.. 5 million etc.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »
After 9/11...

...I went back to work the next day.
...The NFL and MLB took a week off, but were back with big crowds
...I flew to California about four weeks later
...The Winter Olympics in Salt Lake went on as scheduled.
...No students were sent home.  Colleges acted like normal.
...No quarantines.  No shelter in place.  You could go out to eat.

This is well beyond anything like that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 08:34:01 AM »
Its just a sad deal. Crazy how fast this all went down. I mean we just dont expect things like this to happen anymore. Never crossed my mind my whole life some disease would do this much damage here. The uncertainty is very bothersome. You wonder what this country looks like when we hit 250k confirmed cases.. 1million.. 5 million etc.

I beleive I've typed here before, my friend at HHS in some kind of emergency planning role has been telling me as long as I can remember that a pandemic "will happen" and to "Count on it."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 08:46:55 AM »

500% increase in gun background checks.  Ammo being bought heavily.

Hope people keep their heads.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »

Yeah, that's a very real concern. Lack of work/huge financial strain/extended isolation plus guns... Not a great combo.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 09:51:46 AM »

Somehow, everything becomes about guns.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »

And folks were worried about toilet paper hoarding.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 01:23:43 PM »
This ranks right up there with the days Derrick Wilson played 35 minutes per game, Buzz Williams left, and John Dawson and Deonte Burton transferred from Marquette.   8-)

While I don't think things will return to "normal" in a matter of weeks, I do feel that this will be resolved within three months.  This is serious, yet we are taking the appropriate steps to flatten the curve, and do what we can to limit the over-burdening of our hospitals/ICUs - which is the real threat/risk. 

Don't want our physicians to be left with having to decide who gets to live and who dies, as has happened in Italy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 01:43:12 PM »
This ranks right up there with the days Derrick Wilson played 35 minutes per game, Buzz Williams left, and John Dawson and Deonte Burton transferred from Marquette.   8-)

While I don't think things will return to "normal" in a matter of weeks, I do feel that this will be resolved within three months.  This is serious, yet we are taking the appropriate steps to flatten the curve, and do what we can to limit the over-burdening of our hospitals/ICUs - which is the real threat/risk. 

Don't want our physicians to be left with having to decide who gets to live and who dies, as has happened in Italy.

We need to work harder.  At this rate, we are effed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »

Don't worry.

Sure, there has been a 55% increase in violent white nationalist groups in the past 3 years, but don't you worry!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
Back to the subject at hand.

Clearly the most influential events in my life were the assassinations of the Kennedys and MLK when I was a kid. My views on life were formed with these as the backdrop. It informed both my political views and also how we should treat our fellow man.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 03:43:59 PM »

Outside of NYC and DC, people never changed their daily routine after 9/11.  I worked all that day and the next like normal, as did everyone else around here.  I attended the memorial for those in my town that died (fortunately only a few and I did not know them).  I'm fortunately still working, but from home.  I haven't spoken face to face to anyone but my wife the last 4 days.  I'm sick of Skype meetings and the telephone and the TV.  This already has had a much more profound effect on the average life than 9/11.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 11:32:01 AM »
Back to guns ..

I think the probability of a Great Depression is far north of zero.  And when you look around and think of what industries are non-essential, just convenience/luxury .. the list is incredibly long.   It's going to take years to get so many industries back to pre-Covid levels, and maybe never.

So .. great depression .. massive unemployment .. food lines .. the 80% of the US who have zero savings and get hungry could lead to massive civil unrest.  And guess what, lots of people are armed.

I've never owned a firearm, but I don't know how far civilization will break down in that scenario. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 11:35:42 AM »
I've never had any interest in owning a gun, but the scenario 'topper laid out is one that has me considering it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 12:08:13 PM »
Back to guns ..

I think the probability of a Great Depression is far north of zero.  And when you look around and think of what industries are non-essential, just convenience/luxury .. the list is incredibly long.   It's going to take years to get so many industries back to pre-Covid levels, and maybe never.

So .. great depression .. massive unemployment .. food lines .. the 80% of the US who have zero savings and get hungry could lead to massive civil unrest.  And guess what, lots of people are armed.

I've never owned a firearm, but I don't know how far civilization will break down in that scenario.

The good news is that we've been running our government for the benefit of the wealthy and corporations for decades. So I don't think the people would be hit very hard by a massive economic disaster.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 02:37:57 PM »
Good evening, everybody. This here is Archie Bunker of 704 Hauser Street, veteran of the big war, speaking on behalf of guns for everybody.

Now, question: what was the first thing that the Communists done when they took over Russia? Answer: gun control. And there's a lot of people in this country want to do the same thing to us here in a kind of conspiracy, see.

You take your big international bankers, they want to ... whaddya call ... masticate the people of this here nation like puppets on the wing, and then when they get their guns, turn us over to the Commies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 03:48:35 PM »

Though this may lead to openings such as basic income and universal healthcare.

It may.  The counter argument will be Italy has universal healthcare and they are overrun.  UK also does, and they are stretched thin. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »
It may.  The counter argument will be Italy has universal healthcare and they are overrun.  UK also does, and they are stretched thin.

But none of those patients will need to declare bankruptcy due to their treatments.

Universal healthcare isn't a solution to a pandemic.

It's about lowering costs and saving lives - mostly by removing a middle-man whose sole purpose is to make money.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
Back to guns ..

Military will step in before we allow mass rioting and looting..marshall law. Dont disagree about great depression part 2 though. I dont see how its possible were all gonna shut everything down and self quartine for months and months. And some point were just gonna have to try and work before the economy dies beyond repair. I guess an idea is you quartine for x amount of time in order to buy us some time to obtain necessary medical supplies,increase hospital capcity etc, to manage this thing. This is gonna be an absolute s hit show for the history books regardless