[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: COVID-19 Edition  (Read 24516 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Conspiracy Theories: COVID-19 Edition
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »
Hah, that article actually made me think that it was more likely that this came out of a lab.

There are a number of ways to mimic natural evolution in the lab. There is a whole field called "directed evolution" that harnesses and accelerates natural evolution to screen for desired traits.

That isn't a reason for why this wasn't engineered. The conspiracy theorists in me says, but...scientists know about directed evolution, so if scientists are adamant that such a thing does not exist, it must mean they are covering something up.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/suspected-sars-virus-and-flu-found-in-luggage-fbi-report-describes-chinas-biosecurity-risk-144526820.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »

Yeah, poor Individual-1. His entire life, he hasn't been able to catch a break.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2020, 11:48:36 PM »
One that I've recently heard:

The CDC lied about masks being unhelpful for the common person.  That way, the masks would be available for healthcare workers who really needed them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2020, 06:27:42 AM »
One that I've recently heard:

The CDC lied about masks being unhelpful for the common person.  That way, the masks would be available for healthcare workers who really needed them.

I’m fine with this. Last time I grabbed beer at Woodman’s, people with masks walk around like they’re invincible. Just keep the 6 effing feet and give the N95s to people that actually need it, Doreen.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2020, 07:17:14 AM »
Aubrey Huff said his source at CNN said there’s an asteroid coming in 3 weeks that will destroy the earth. Covid-19 was a chance for families to spend their last days together.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2020, 08:20:21 AM »
Aubrey Huff said his source at CNN said there’s an asteroid coming in 3 weeks that will destroy the earth. Covid-19 was a chance for families to spend their last days together.

Then he also said it was a hoax/social experiment, which we should have known cause there is no way a far right nutjob like him would ever source CNN

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »

I mean why the hell not?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »

April Fools!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2020, 09:37:44 PM »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2020, 10:45:49 PM »
#filmyourhospital

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2020, 12:10:32 AM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2020, 08:11:59 AM »

Perfect!
Strangely I visited Fermilab at the beginning of March.
I should have tried to time travel back.

Eldon

• All American

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2020, 04:59:26 PM »
Installation of 5G towers caused the outbreak:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/04/06/coronavirus-5-g-conspiracy-theory-cellular-towers/2955557001/

The 5G conspiracy people are the kings of the tin foilers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2020, 05:29:02 PM »
Russian based 5G conspiracies have been around for a while.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »
Been seeing some conspiracies out there that the whole COVID-19 pandemic has been engineered by Bill Gates. His global health initiative will soon come forward with a vaccine that's been secretly embedded with nanotechnology to track all of humanity.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2020, 09:10:33 AM »
I'll put this one in the Conspiracy Thread.

Welcome to the Trumpocalypse
Maybe the administration would take a bit more care with the coronavirus pandemic if it weren’t loaded with folks who are looking forward to the end of the world

By BOB MOSER

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/trump-evangelicals-apocalypse-coronavirus-981995/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
The other side of that coin is that Covid 19 is God's punishment for electing Trump.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2020, 09:57:19 AM »
I'll put this one in the Conspiracy Thread.

Welcome to the Trumpocalypse
Maybe the administration would take a bit more care with the coronavirus pandemic if it weren’t loaded with folks who are looking forward to the end of the world

By BOB MOSER

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/trump-evangelicals-apocalypse-coronavirus-981995/

I have read a LOT of scary shyte over the last couple of months, but this one takes the cake. Thanks for posting.

It doesn't belong in conspiracy theories, though. It is filled with facts, the biggest being that the administration is chock-full of folks looking forward to the End Times.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2020, 11:10:35 AM »
I have read a LOT of scary shyte over the last couple of months, but this one takes the cake. Thanks for posting.

It doesn't belong in conspiracy theories, though. It is filled with facts, the biggest being that the administration is chock-full of folks looking forward to the End Times.

That article is aggressively presumptive and offensive.  I know you're a loud and proud atheist, but you can't be stupid enough to believe that many Christians, bible thumping or otherwise, actively cheer for and breathlessly await the end of the world.  Tossing in Israel policy as a sweetener was a nice touch.

Pretending thats anything other than a loose theory and actually totally factual is just agenda driven.  There is a HUGE gap between "evangelical that believes in the Book of Revelation" and "actively looks forward to end times and make policy decisions to hasten it".  The article takes politician pandering to be absolutely literal.  The same people that say "Bernie isn't a communist, its just references" have no issue saying Pence is a David Koresh-level religious wackjob based on a few statements.

I think Pompeo and Pence have personal viewpoints that are extreme and obnoxious, but lets have some grain of salt here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2020, 11:20:50 AM »
That article is aggressively presumptive and offensive.  I know you're a loud and proud atheist, but you can't be stupid enough to believe that many Christians, bible thumping or otherwise, actively cheer for and breathlessly await the end of the world.  Tossing in Israel policy as a sweetener was a nice touch.

Pretending thats anything other than a loose theory and actually totally factual is just agenda driven.  There is a HUGE gap between "evangelical that believes in the Book of Revelation" and "actively looks forward to end times and make policy decisions to hasten it".  The article takes politician pandering to be absolutely literal.  The same people that say "Bernie isn't a communist, its just references" have no issue saying Pence is a David Koresh-level religious wackjob based on a few statements.

I think Pompeo and Pence have personal viewpoints that are extreme and obnoxious, but lets have some grain of salt here.

Wags, there has been a subset of evangelicals that have been up front about working toward the rapture for decades.    I remember discussions about that when I was at MU in the 80's.      I remember evangelicals that I worked with celebrating the invasion of Kuwait because it was the first step toward biblical Armageddon.   I will grant that it is a small subset and a fringe group.   

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
Wags, there has been a subset of evangelicals that have been up front about working toward the rapture for decades.    I remember discussions about that when I was at MU in the 80's.      I remember evangelicals that I worked with celebrating the invasion of Kuwait because it was the first step toward biblical Armageddon.   I will grant that it is a small subset and a fringe group.   

Oh I absolutely know and agree that they exist.  And they are disconcerting.  I just object to the idea that their ideology is widespread and commonly held or accepted in the "Christian right", much less driving the boat when it comes to policy and pandemic response.

Despite being a Christian and leaning a bit right of center, I have issues with the super conservative Christian right and think their viewpoints on LGBT issues, womens health, etc... are toxic and counter-productive, but I can recognize the difference between that and a theory that borders on a plotline from a horror movie.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »
I think we are relatively close on this one.   

feedback