[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 314037 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »
Not Wisconsin related, but another suggestion I've heard - if you're in need of some emergency child care - contact your favorite restaurant and see if they'd recommend any of their former wait staff.  Every little bit helps.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2020, 05:19:36 PM »
Nice ideas here about patronizing local places that are now takeout only, the meal kits, and gift cards for future use.

Yesterday, I stopped by a local coffee place that is normally packed but now stuck with takeout only. The co-owner is a friend, and was very appreciative that I stopped by. After I bought my coffee, I decided to get a $50 gift card for future use.

Little things we can do to help out....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2020, 05:21:46 PM »
Nice ideas here about patronizing local places that are now takeout only, the meal kits, and gift cards for future use.

Yesterday, I stopped by a local coffee place that is normally packed but now stuck with takeout only. The co-owner is a friend, and was very appreciative that I stopped by. After I bought my coffee, I decided to get a $50 gift card for future use.

Little things we can do to help out....

I drove 20 minutes to get an omelette from my favorite breakfast place this morning. Gift card is a great idea too.

We door-dashed the local Mexican place last night.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2020, 05:27:49 PM »
I drove 20 minutes to get an omelette from my favorite breakfast place this morning. Gift card is a great idea too.

We door-dashed the local Mexican place last night.

We've been doing this as well. Learned two of our favorites, sister restaurants La Merenda and Engine Co are shuttering until this is over after today. Did the same for Valentines coffee. Gift cards for local places we often get Xmas gifts too.

Just hope they can survive.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »
Not Wisconsin related, but another suggestion I've heard - if you're in need of some emergency child care - contact your favorite restaurant and see if they'd recommend any of their former wait staff.  Every little bit helps.

Daycare teachers too, if the center has been shut down or hours  cut back.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »
The Tandem is one of my favorite restaurants. Got my coworkers gift cards as we’d talked about it before. They were doing carry out but they’ve gone to only free meals for those in need. They have a donation link on their website to make those available. They’ve also laid off most of their employees so they can collect unemployment and they’re making it a free grocery store for those employees. Love their mission and what they do for the community. And incredible chicken (and breakfast burritos).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2020, 08:04:04 PM »
Doc's is shutting it down.  Four locations, 250+ employees, son-in-law delivering lots of produce to St. Ben's Community Meal Program (f/k/a "the soup kitchen") and the Rescue Mission.

Milwaukee, Madison, Mokena, IL and Dyer, IN

Curbside pick up at the Milwaukee location was active, but without liquor sales and Fiserv events, the numbers weren't making any sense.  Committed to reopening.   Thank you to all the folks on this board that supported the cause. 

[This is not my business, but that of my son-in-law, who is married to my pregnant daughter, all of whom are healthy]

Didn’t know you were doc...had ms II downtown Milwaukee last summer?  Great food!!  Hang in there man and we Should make it our unofficial ms headquarters
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2020, 08:08:55 PM »
We've been doing this as well. Learned two of our favorites, sister restaurants La Merenda and Engine Co are shuttering until this is over after today. Did the same for Valentines coffee. Gift cards for local places we often get Xmas gifts too.

Just hope they can survive.

La Merenda by the Clocktower.
I like that place.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2020, 08:35:14 PM »
La Merenda by the Clocktower.
I like that place.

Marquette alum owned..

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2020, 08:30:08 AM »
Marquette alum owned..

His wife is a Badger alum so.....be careful ;)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »
For a trade show in Milwaukee I meet up with my Appleton sister plant people there.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2020, 11:58:58 AM »
His wife is a Badger alum so.....be careful ;)

The owners of La Merenda and Engine Co No. 3 are Peter and Sonia Sandroni. Great people. Peter is an MU grad and all things MU Rah Rah. They met in Atlanta when he moved there (after he worked briefly for MU) to help with his aunt and uncle's restaurant in Decatur, GA. Sonia is from Bogota, Columbia and went to school there. (Pontificia Universidad Javeriana.) Peter also used to GM the Bongo Room in Chicago in a past life.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:04:22 PM by shoothoops »

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 09:44:13 AM »
Evers just issued a two week shelter in place order - but he's calling it "safer at home" order.   ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
Are business shut down

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »
Who the hell knows what essential businesses means. Or who would be able to enfore it

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
Who the hell knows what essential businesses means. Or who would be able to enfore it

Governor Tony Evers
@GovEvers
Workers providing essential care or services in our communities will be allowed to continue to travel to and from work. That includes folks like healthcare professionals, grocers, family caregivers, among other people whose work is critical for folks across our state.

My guess is police and National Guard will be enforcing with large fines.  Or we are expected to self police somewhat.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »
Who the hell knows what essential businesses means. Or who would be able to enforce it.

Indeed, my company sent out a note that roughly said "We're essential.  If you want a letter you can show people, we will provide it."

IMO, I have a hard time imagining our products as essential.

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »
They aren't going to pull people over or anything like that.  And businesses will be able to have their "essential functions" covered as well.  We will see.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »
They aren't going to pull people over or anything like that.  And businesses will be able to have their "essential functions" covered as well.  We will see.

That's why I think it's silly to even announce it. It's no different than the suggestion for social distancing

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »
I find this map interesting:

https://mcoem.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/018eedbe075046779b8062b5fe1055bf

Very few infections south of I-94.  Very few infections in the suburbs.

A moderate smattering of cases in the central city but the highest caseload in the near, and far NW section of MKE.    I think I'd identify that area as a middle-class African American area -- although that's just a stereotype, not saying it's one race.   (The far NW section is an enclave for police, fire, teacher, and other MKE public workers.)

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
That's why I think it's silly to even announce it. It's no different than the suggestion for social distancing

Well it forces retail businesses to close.  It puts more pressure on people to work from home.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2020, 10:29:51 AM »

Anecdotally, it seems like many businesses are going to fall in essential. I think most manufacturing will fight to say they are to keep running.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
FWIW - Connecticut is already at this point.  This is the "essential list" in a recent COVID-19 email I received from my State Senator.  I'm sure this list will be similar everywhere.

To the extent possible, employees of Essential Businesses whose duties are not critical to an Essential Business function described below should telecommute or utilize any work from home procedures available to them.

For purposes of Executive Order 7H, “essential business,” means:

1. Essential workers in the 16 Critical Infrastructure Sectors, as defined by the federal Department of Homeland Security unless otherwise addressed in a prior or future executive order pertaining to the existing declared public health and civil preparedness emergency.

2. Healthcare and related operations including
 biotechnology therapies
 consumer health products and services
 doctor and dentist offices
 elder care, including adult day care
 health care plans and health care data
 home health care workers or aides
 hospitals
 manufacturing, distributing, warehousing, and supplying of pharmaceuticals, including research and development
 medical marijuana dispensaries and producers
 medical supplies and equipment providers, including devices, diagnostics, services, and any other healthcare related supplies or                  services
 medical wholesale and distribution
 nursing homes, or residential health care facilities or congregate care facilities
 pharmacies
 physical therapy and chiropractic offices
 research and laboratory services, including testing and treatment of COVID-19
 veterinary and animal health services
 walk-in-care health facilities

3. Infrastructure including
 airports/airlines
 commercial trucking
 dam maintenance and support
 education-related functions at the primary, secondary, or higher education level to provide support for students, including distribution of        meals or faculty conducting e-learning
 hotels and other places of accommodation
 water and wastewater operations, systems, and businesses
 telecommunications and data centers
 transportation infrastructure including bus, rail, for-hire vehicles and vehicle rentals, and garages
 utilities including power generation, fuel supply, and transmission

4. All manufacturing and corresponding supply chains, including aerospace, agriculture, and related support businesses

5. Retail including
 appliances, electronics, computers, and telecom equipment
 big-box stores or wholesale clubs, provided they also sell groceries, consumer health products, or operate a pharmacy
 convenience stores
 gas stations
 grocery stores including all food and beverage retailers
 guns and ammunition
 hardware, paint, and building material stores, including home appliance sales/repair
 liquor/package stores and manufacturer permittees
 pharmacies
 pet and pet supply stores

6. Food and agriculture, including
 farms and farmer’s markets
 food manufacturing, processing, storage, and distribution facilities
 nurseries, garden centers, and agriculture supply stores
 restaurants/bars (provided compliance with all applicable executive orders is maintained)

7. Services including
 accounting and payroll services
 animal shelters or animal care or management, including boarding, grooming, pet walking and pet sitting
 auto supply, repair, towing, and service, including roadside assistance
 bicycle repair and service
 building cleaning and maintenance
 child care services
 critical operations support for financial institutions
 financial advisors
 financial institutions, including banks, credit unions, and check cashing services
 funeral homes, crematoriums, and cemeteries
 insurance companies
 laundromats/dry cleaning
 legal and accounting services
 mail and shipping services
 marinas and marine repair and service
 news and media
 real estate transactions and related services, including residential leasing and renting
 religious services (subject to Executive Order 7D limiting gatherings to 50 people)
 storage for Essential Businesses
 trash and recycling collection, hauling, and processing
 warehouse/distribution, shipping, and fulfillment

8. Providers of basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations including
 food banks
 homeless shelters and congregate care facilities
 human services providers whose function includes the direct care of patients in state-licensed or funded voluntary programs; the care, protection, custody and oversight of individuals both in the community and in state-licensed residential facilities; those operating community shelters and other critical human services agencies providing direct care or support social service agencies

9. Construction including
 all skilled trades such as electricians, HVAC, and plumbers
 general construction, both commercial and residential
 other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes
 planning, engineering, design, bridge inspection, and other construction support activities

10. Services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of all residences and other buildings (including services necessary to secure and maintain non-essential workplaces)
 building cleaners or janitors
 building code enforcement
 disinfection
 doormen
 emergency management and response
 fire prevention and response
 general maintenance whether employed by the entity directly or a vendor
 home-related services, including real estate transactions, closings, appraisals, and moving services
 landscaping services
 law enforcement
 outdoor maintenance, including pool service
 pest control services
 security and maintenance, including steps reasonably necessary to secure and maintain non-essential businesses
 state marshals

11. Vendors that provide essential services or products, including logistics and technology support, child care, and services needed to ensure the continuing operation of government agencies and provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public including
 billboard leasing and maintenance
 child care services
 essential government services
 government owned or leased buildings
 information technology and information security
 logistics
 technology support

12. Defense
 defense and national security-related business and operations supporting the U.S. Government or a contractor to the US government
If the function of your business is not listed above, but you believe that it is essential or it is an entity providing essential services or functions, you may request designation as an Essential Business.

Requests by businesses to be designated an essential function as described above, should ONLY be made if they are NOT covered by the guidance. If your business is not included and you feel that it is an essential business, you can appeal to have it added to the list of essential businesses.  Here is the link to file your appeal.  https://portal.ct.gov/DECD/Content/Coronavirus-for-Businesses/Essential-Business-Designation-Form

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2020, 10:35:58 AM »
Well it forces retail businesses to close.  It puts more pressure on people to work from home.
What about the trades. Landscaping, construction, masonry, welding,painting, woodwork. Etc. Are these essential? Doesnt even matter almost all of these will continue to operate anyways

NvM just read that big ass list
 So basically everything is essential essentially
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:40:13 AM by Johnny B »

feedback