[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 316139 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #2450 on: December 10, 2020, 05:55:28 PM »
Completely agree.

Quite frankly, this is one of the reasons it would have been ideal to allow CDC to be more involved from the start. We could have gotten a better handle on the pandemic if we had centralized processes for acquiring and distributing PPE, contact tracing, and tracking and reporting infections across the country.

Are you saying we need a little bit of gold old fashioned glasnost and perestroika?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2451 on: December 10, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »
Are you saying we need a little bit of gold old fashioned glasnost and perestroika?

I’d be happy with simple competence.

;)

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2452 on: December 10, 2020, 09:00:01 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2453 on: December 10, 2020, 09:08:42 PM »
https://www.channel3000.com/wisconsin-isnt-seeing-the-thanksgiving-surge-of-covid-19-many-health-experts-predicted-but-why/

No Thanksgiving surge as predicted, shocker!

I hope that is correct...but we have been talking about the mysteriously flat testing numbers in Wisconsin for a few days now. Apparently even the doctors at UW Health aren’t quite sure what to make of that.

“We’re not seeing it in the case of a lot of new cases coming up,” said Dr. Jeff Pothof, Chief Quality Officer for UW Health. “I don’t know if it’s just people are getting tested less and less often, or I don’t know if it’s a data issue where the broad availability of antigen tests are not filing into the databases that we’re looking at.”

The real test will come over the next couple of weeks, as we see whether hospitalizations increase. Fingers crossed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2454 on: December 11, 2020, 06:45:05 AM »
Sent an employee for a test yesterday at noon, and she got her result this morning.

Turn around times are good... but because few are getting tested.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2455 on: December 11, 2020, 07:50:42 AM »
https://www.channel3000.com/wisconsin-isnt-seeing-the-thanksgiving-surge-of-covid-19-many-health-experts-predicted-but-why/

So why do you say "shocker?"

Public health people asked people to avoid large family gatherings.  Many people apparently did that.  Cases therefore went down.

Are you saying because the advice worked that it was bad advice?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2456 on: December 11, 2020, 07:57:49 AM »
It's like item number four on a COVID bingo card.

- Event x, y or z didnt cause a spike

Reality is that these events build.  Thanksgiving surely caused spread, the first order occurs and we dismiss it.  However the more spread, the more opportunity to pass along further.  3, 4, 5 weeks later it shows up. 

So I dont know if 'they' were right or wrong.  But I sure wouldnt judge it 2 weeks after (to the day)

• All American
« Reply #2457 on: December 11, 2020, 08:06:23 AM »
No they weren't wrong.  There is plenty of evidence to suggest that family gatherings spread the disease.  What likely occurred is more people listened to the advice than we thought would do so.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2458 on: December 11, 2020, 08:20:04 AM »

Good news for the families across the state that heeded the warnings of public health officials and limited their gatherings or adjusted them accordingly.  About time people understand this isn’t a hoax and take it seriously. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2459 on: December 11, 2020, 09:15:47 AM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2460 on: December 11, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »
Here's my theory .. WI starts rolling serious numbers, 7000+ daily about 17 days before Thanksgiving.   A week later, it hits a peak and steadily goes down.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Wisconsinites finally got the message, 10-14 days before Thanksgiving: Cases dropped by nearly 50%.   

Maybe, just maybe .. that peak is what "saved" WI from a Thanksgiving surge.    Those 7000+/cases/day made them wake up and cancel their plans at the exact right moment.

Many midwest states have the same path .. MN, IA, MI, IL .. they peaked before Thanksgiving then started a downward trend. 

Then look at FL, GA, AK,  .. no peak .. and all upward trend.

They should try an experiment .. fake the numbers insane high in a few states, see if people change their behavior.    (Although I suppose, it's not just "the number" it's also that a dozen of your neighbors have it and you know some folks in the hospital.)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2461 on: December 11, 2020, 10:09:39 AM »

Maybe, just maybe .. that peak is what "saved" WI from a Thanksgiving surge.    Those 7000+/cases/day made them wake up and cancel their plans at the exact right moment.

Many midwest states have the same path .. MN, IA, MI, IL .. they peaked before Thanksgiving then started a downward trend. 

I sure hope you and Pace are correct. We will know for sure over the next couple of weeks as we see hospitalization numbers and then eventually deaths. While new cases can be confusing based on various test reporting mechanisms, it’s harder to miss Covid-related hospitalizations and deaths.

🤞

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2462 on: December 11, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »
Here's my theory .. WI starts rolling serious numbers, 7000+ daily about 17 days before Thanksgiving.   A week later, it hits a peak and steadily goes down.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Wisconsinites finally got the message, 10-14 days before Thanksgiving: Cases dropped by nearly 50%.   

Then look at FL, GA, AK,  .. no peak .. and all upward trend.

They should try an experiment .. fake the numbers insane high in a few states, see if people change their behavior.    (Although I suppose, it's not just "the number" it's also that a dozen of your neighbors have it and you know some folks in the hospital.)

So the ends would justify the means?  What about when the public eventually finds out the truth about the numbers and trusts government and public health officials even less?

I'm sure my medical ethics prof could run an entire semester on public health's response to covid19.

• All American
« Reply #2463 on: December 11, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure topper was kidding.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2464 on: December 11, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »
Like it would negatively impact public trust any more than the past decade (cough, 4 years, cough) of destroying public trust in everything? 

Oh noes. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2465 on: December 11, 2020, 11:41:46 AM »
Like it would negatively impact public trust any more than the past decade (cough, 4 years, cough) of destroying public trust in everything? 

Oh noes.

I am pretty sure there has been an active attempt at the reverse of your experiment. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2466 on: December 11, 2020, 12:06:08 PM »

Oh noes.

We both know that who is in office is a factor, and then who you ask.

I'm sure in early Jan there will be a large swath of people who stop trusting the government, and a large swath who begin to trust the government again.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2467 on: December 11, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »

So why do you say "shocker?"

Public health people asked people to avoid large family gatherings.  Many people apparently did that.  Cases therefore went down.

Are you saying because the advice worked that it was bad advice?

I said shocker cause we were guaranteed a surge, just like we were guaranteed a surge after the state elections in April and I was generally shocked that neither led to a surge.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2468 on: December 11, 2020, 01:22:42 PM »
I'm taking the bait here, but why do you minimize/trivialize Covid so much?

It’s not my intention to minimize it but rather treat it with the level of respect it deserves.  It’s a virus that if you’re old or have multiple preexisting conditions can really wipe you out, so those populations should be very careful and essentially isolate in their home.  They should be able to make that decision for themselves, not be forced to make that decision by government mandates.

But if you’re not high risk and/or old the amount of self imposed damage we have caused ourselves is unthinkable because of the fear mongering and BS you see on cable news.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2469 on: December 11, 2020, 01:25:38 PM »
Oh god not this ridiculousness again.

Time after time the same points are raised, you ignore them, diapers for awhile, the come back with some new weird article that has either been disproven, or didn't read and we go around again.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2470 on: December 11, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »
It’s not my intention to minimize it but rather treat it with the level of respect it deserves.  It’s a virus that if you’re old or have multiple preexisting conditions can really wipe you out, so those populations should be very careful and essentially isolate in their home.  They should be able to make that decision for themselves, not be forced to make that decision by government mandates.

But if you’re not high risk and/or old the amount of self imposed damage we have caused ourselves is unthinkable because of the fear mongering and BS you see on cable news.
I got 280,000 dead and probably at least that many with long term health issues, as well as well over 10 million infected that say you are stupid.   It will be the leading killer in America in 2020.  And this path was consciously chosen.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2471 on: December 11, 2020, 01:48:27 PM »
Good news for the families across the state that heeded the warnings of public health officials and limited their gatherings or adjusted them accordingly.  About time people understand this isn’t a hoax and take it seriously.

Yea, isn’t this what we’ve been saying all along. If we do the right things, some will look back and say that it wasn’t really that bad and we overreacted. However, the reason it wasn’t that bad was because we took the right steps in the first place.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2472 on: December 11, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »
Oh god not this ridiculousness again.

Time after time the same points are raised, you ignore them, diapers for awhile, the come back with some new weird article that has either been disproven, or didn't read and we go around again.

I was asked a question and answered.  I understand it’s not an opinion a lot of you agree with, that’s been made very clear over the months.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2473 on: December 11, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
I was asked a question and answered.  I understand it’s not an opinion a lot of you agree with, that’s been made very clear over the months.

Because your opinion doesn't logically make sense. It would if it was a sexually transmitted virus, where you can consciously choose if you're going to put yourself at risk. But the transmission of this makes it other people's decision not yours. That's why people are so frustrated that you keep repeating these same tired lines about "people should have the choice" well if I choose to be cautious and wear a mask, limit social engagement etc but you don't and we both go grocery shopping, and you give me the virus. What good was my choice?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2474 on: December 11, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
One of my problems with the argument that the only vulnerable should shelter is that no one espousing that explains what vulnerable people who need to work should do, or what about households that contain both young healthy people and vulnerable people. It seems to assume that all those in that position don’t work and live by themselves.

feedback