[Today at 12:55:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 472357 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1050 on: April 10, 2020, 09:26:02 PM »
No one's asking you to get excited. Indeed, nobody expects it. You dislike Wojo too much to get excited about anything he does, and that's cool. Seriously. I actually understand why even long-time, die-hard Warrior fans might be apathetic.

When it comes to his recruiting, though, you're beyond merely apathetic.

I've yet to figure out why you seem to get strange joy out of him missing on recruits. Heck, you even seem to get strange joy out of him possibly missing on recruits. So it must have been devastating for you when he outrecruited everybody for a McDonald's All-American and two other highly ranked kids.

Butt hay, Dock, ewe bee ewe.

82, fair, but we seem to been on this rodeo before. His recruits ain’t bad, then they get on the floor...and...pffftt, where’d they go? 

I was a big wojo fan but have been let down more times than the pimply faced kid getting turned down by Jennifer Anniston’s too many times

Now it’s time to take some of these kids to the next level and turn me into men turning down Jennifer Aniston going for Nina agdal  bo chicka bow wow🤪
don't...don't don't don't don't

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1051 on: April 10, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »
My take is 4ever looks at the results on the court. He has been an MU fan more years than many on this board have
been alive. Everyone wants Wojo to succeed. Year 7 coming up. Let’s see.

I have probably been an MU fan longer than 4ever (unless he started in grade school and even then, maybe) . My quarrel is with his inability to give any credit to the current program for its successes. In my opinion, he was responding to a post on recruiting, and not giving due credit where deserved. Also, I guess I just don't appreciate snarky.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: April 10, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »
I have probably been an MU fan longer than 4ever (unless he started in grade school and even then, maybe) . My quarrel is with his inability to give any credit to the current program for its successes. In my opinion, he was responding to a post on recruiting, and not giving due credit where deserved. Also, I guess I just don't appreciate snarky.

Fair enough. I guess my question to you would be what are the successes?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: April 10, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »
IMHO,  Wojo is not the man for MU. It looks to me like a downward trend. But he has done some good work. He's definitely not a complete failure.  Plus he's a good man and has had high quality young men at MU.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #1054 on: April 10, 2020, 11:03:14 PM »

Putting a top 30ish team on the floor 3 of the last 4 years (out of 353). Bringing in the programs all time leading scorer. Almost winning the conference last year. Idk. I don’t think Wojo is the guy either because my expectations for the program are too high as well, but you can’t say he hasn’t had any success.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: April 11, 2020, 01:05:51 AM »
Alright, let's do a hypothetical...let's assume Carton, Burton and DeJulius all could get waivers for this year(which I do think is possible), of these 4...you can only have two...Turner, Carton, Burton and DeJulius..Let's also put a little twist on it and assume Carton would only be at MU for a year...who you taking?? For me it's Turner and the other one is tough, but I tend to play things year by year, and I want them to be REALLY good net year so I think on that premise I'd take Turner and Carton.
im going DJ and burton imo

1SE

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: April 11, 2020, 01:35:14 AM »
Putting a top 30ish team on the floor 3 of the last 4 years (out of 353). Bringing in the programs all time leading scorer. Almost winning the conference last year. Idk. I don’t think Wojo is the guy either because my expectations for the program are too high as well, but you can’t say he hasn’t had any success.

Seriously?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: April 11, 2020, 05:55:07 AM »
Frankly, it's elementary. If you can't win in March, you're the wrong man for the job. Its just that clear and simple, particularly for a school like Marquette.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: April 11, 2020, 06:58:23 AM »
WE ARE MARQUETTE...your idea of success might ok for Creighton. But this is Marquette. A basketball heritage few can replicate. Let’s start acting like the big boy we are!! WE ARE MARQUETTE!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1059 on: April 11, 2020, 07:07:12 AM »
WE ARE MARQUETTE...your idea of success might ok for Creighton. But this is Marquette. A basketball heritage few can replicate. Let’s start acting like the big boy we are!! WE ARE MARQUETTE!!

Marquette has been to one Final Four in the modern era of college basketball and 5 Sweet 16’s.  The coach that took this team to a Final 4 is widely mocked and many were glad he left
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: April 11, 2020, 07:20:24 AM »
Point is, too many folks downplay Marquette as a basketball school with a tremendous history that it has. In the Big East, Villanova has it. Georgetown and St. John’s HAD it. Who else? Marquette fans/alums need to demand more, and roll with some swagger. To say, ‘we almost won the BE.’ We’re top 30. Talk about setting the bar low.
How about, we’ve been great...Elite. We’ve been bad. We’ve been average. Let’s get back to Elite. No more, top 30 is acceptable. Is Wojo the guy to take MU back to a high level? Can he coach high-level talent (to his credit he’s recruited)? Regardless. WE ARE MARQUETTE, so let’s walk it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:22:04 AM by Marq3332 »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: April 11, 2020, 07:23:06 AM »
Frankly, it's elementary. If you can't win in March, you're the wrong man for the job. Its just that clear and simple, particularly for a school like Marquette.
Bingo! 100% spot-on.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: April 11, 2020, 07:25:05 AM »

How much does strength of schedule play into those KenPom numbers?

Looking at 2016 Ellenson season vs. this last season, strength of schedule appears to be the one major difference.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1063 on: April 11, 2020, 07:51:34 AM »
Why would a guy with pro potential want to walk-on anywhere?  What’s MU for a year...$40-$50k? Please. Get Carton to sign-on and forget about these other jokers. Carton, the incoming recruits, the returning roster and let’s ball!!

Poor, poor take.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: April 11, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »
Point is, too many folks downplay Marquette as a basketball school with a tremendous history that it has. In the Big East, Villanova has it. Georgetown and St. John’s HAD it. Who else? Marquette fans/alums need to demand more, and roll with some swagger. To say, ‘we almost won the BE.’ We’re top 30. Talk about setting the bar low.
How about, we’ve been great...Elite. We’ve been bad. We’ve been average. Let’s get back to Elite. No more, top 30 is acceptable. Is Wojo the guy to take MU back to a high level? Can he coach high-level talent (to his credit he’s recruited)? Regardless. WE ARE MARQUETTE, so let’s walk it.

If the only way you are satisfied is by being "elite," then you will be dissatisfied often.  The circumstances by which Marquette became elite don't exist today.  Marquette's not going to become elite again.  They most certainly can do better than what Wojo has brought, but elite?  No chance.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: April 11, 2020, 08:09:05 AM »

If the only way you are satisfied is by being "elite," then you will be dissatisfied often.  The circumstances by which Marquette became elite don't exist today.  Marquette's not going to become elite again.  They most certainly can do better than what Wojo has brought, but elite?  No chance.
Marquette being elite is as silly as a small Jesuit school in Spokane Washington being elite. :D

I don't expect "elite" but we can do better.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:11:09 AM by WhiteTrash »

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: April 11, 2020, 08:12:58 AM »
Marquette being elite is as silly as a small Jesuit school in Spokane Washington being elite. :D

I don't expect "elite" but we can do better.

Gonzaga has been to one Final Four in their history.  That's not elite. 

Marquette's absolute top end is Villanova.  That's about the best they can hope for.  So I guess that is elite...but good luck.

And I wholeheartedly agree we can do better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: April 11, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »
I like Doc. We have had good conversations about being grandparents, enjoying family and friends, etc. I know that he is a good guy and that he is a big-time Marquette fan who wants the Warriors to win and win big.

I don't blame him for thinking Wojo should go. He's hardly the only one with that opinion, and it's hard to say those opinions aren't justified. Even I have gone from one of the most pro-Wojo Scoopers to realizing we might have to cut him loose to move the program forward.

And I do NOT think he wants the Warriors to lose. I certainly didn't say he did.

What I said, and what I believe his posting history shows, is that he gets some weird satisfaction out of Wojo missing on recruits. At the first sign that a talked-about recruit even might go elsewhere, Doc makes a snarky post about "green wienies" or some such. He seems to enjoy it when Wojo doesn't land recruits.

Wojo actually has been a pretty darn good recruiter. Not a great one, but pretty darn good. If he has done a lousy job of coaching 'em up, that's a whole 'nother thing to debate, and it really has nothing to do with this particular discussion.

I happen to think it's possible to dislike Wojo as a coach -- and even to want him gowne, gowne, gowne -- without celebrating his every recruiting miss. Others are free to disagree.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1068 on: April 11, 2020, 08:44:41 AM »
FFS take the same tired Wojo and program debates to a thread on that topic.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: April 11, 2020, 08:51:33 AM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: April 11, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
21m
Wichita State transfer Asbjorn Midtgaard tells me he has committed to Grand Canyon.

Good level for him
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: April 11, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1248964922479988737?s=21

Decision from DeJulius this week

Could be a huge few days for MU coming up...although THIS week would mean today. This is the end of the week. I'm sure it's next week. LOL
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: April 11, 2020, 09:09:04 AM »

Gonzaga has been to one Final Four in their history.  That's not elite. 

Marquette's absolute top end is Villanova.  That's about the best they can hope for.  So I guess that is elite...but good luck.

And I wholeheartedly agree we can do better.
Agreed. I was just kidding. Villanova success would be great but I'd take Creighton success right now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: April 11, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »
Jordan Bruner from Yale headed to Alabama.

Cancelling his NBA draft declaration.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: April 11, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
Seriously?

Losing 6 out of final 7 didn’t actually happen. Just the quarantine getting to us  ;)