[Today at 06:55:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 470568 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2020, 12:01:39 PM »
@jakeweingarten: Indiana, Marquette, Northwestern, BYU, Dayton, are amongst the newest programs to reach out to Virginia Tech transfer Landers Nolley II, he told @Stockrisers.

60+ programs have reached out.

Ed Morrow with higher usage and a bit of a jumper. Not sure that's what we need.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »
I’ll be very surprised if no one transfers out.  Hope Symir isn’t one of them.

https://twitter.com/Syboogie10/status/1238576576268251137?s=19
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2020, 12:05:49 PM »
Jfc.

You'd think the pandemic was MU bball and not Coronavirus.

You guys being isolated at home is not healthy, clearly

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Seems pretty clear that there is some real concern about our roster next year - and rightfully so. Let’s hope we don’t have any transfers out. With all the PT available that should help dissuade transfer.

Hard to fathom this was the forecasted reality/projection for Year 7 in Wojo’s Golden Power Point.

The extensions given to Wojo by Lovell were premature and amateur.

So recruiting transfers means there's real concern about our roster? Does that mean every team who recruits a transfer has real concern about their roster?

As for the extension,  he needed to be extended or fired last season. The worst thing would be to do nothing. And no one is firing a coach after last season
TAMU

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2020, 12:08:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/Syboogie10/status/1238576576268251137?s=19

Good to hear that.  He’s one of very few returning guys i definitely want back.

panda

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2020, 12:19:06 PM »
Ed Morrow with higher usage and a bit of a jumper. Not sure that's what we need.

I watched a fair amount of him this season. He’s a four man who desperately wants to be a lead guard. No thanks.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2020, 12:23:03 PM »
I watched a fair amount of him this season. He’s a four man who desperately wants to be a lead guard. No thanks.

Exactly. Everything I've heard is that he wants to be a wing, but like Ed, he's not a high major wing. No thanks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »
A freshman former top 75 recruit who scored 16 ppg in an inefficient way in a high major conference? Absolutely worth a shot in my book. Long, lean, and doesn’t have a history of injury.

Also, anyone who thinks Wojo shouldn’t have gotten an extension doesn’t understand how sports above the high school level work. Even professional coaches are extended when they might not have “earned” it looking at the results, and they aren’t even going out recruiting players trying to convince them they should play for them...even though their contract ends before the player’s time would finish there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2020, 12:45:07 PM »
So recruiting transfers means there's real concern about our roster? Does that mean every team who recruits a transfer has real concern about their roster?

As for the extension,  he needed to be extended or fired last season. The worst thing would be to do nothing. And no one is firing a coach after last season

Some of the guys we’ve reached out don’t exactly have great resumes. That reeks of desperation.

Further, wasn’t the whole rationale for keeping Wojo around was that he’d bring “stability.”  Yet here are in Year 7 with a roster that is currently not constructed very well. Did you really think we’d be reliant on the grad transfer/transfer market in Year 7?

As for the extension - the first extension after winning that pre-season NIT was amateur AF. Was no risk of losing him at that time and it didn’t justify an extension.

As for extending him again?  Well that’s fine University-based logic. Hey, even though the guy has underperformed and lost two key cogs in program due to locker room mismanagement - we need to extend him to help recruit. Tough sh$t. Sink or swim time. He didn’t deserve either extension and now we are stuck with a guy that is clearly mediocre at best.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »
Some of the guys we’ve reached out don’t exactly have great resumes. That reeks of desperation.

Further, wasn’t the whole rationale for keeping Wojo around was that he’d bring “stability.”  Yet here are in Year 7 with a roster that is currently not constructed very well. Did you really think we’d be reliant on the grad transfer/transfer market in Year 7?

As for the extension - the first extension after winning that pre-season NIT was amateur AF. Was no risk of losing him at that time and it didn’t justify an extension.

As for extending him again?  Well that’s fine University-based logic. Hey, even though the guy has underperformed and lost two key cogs in program due to locker room mismanagement - we need to extend him to help recruit. Tough sh$t. Sink or swim time. He didn’t deserve either extension and now we are stuck with a guy that is clearly mediocre at best.

Yelling it louder doesn’t make it any less clueless.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2020, 12:51:56 PM »
A freshman former top 75 recruit who scored 16 ppg in an inefficient way in a high major conference? Absolutely worth a shot in my book. Long, lean, and doesn’t have a history of injury.

Also, anyone who thinks Wojo shouldn’t have gotten an extension doesn’t understand how sports above the high school level work. Even professional coaches are extended when they might not have “earned” it looking at the results, and they aren’t even going out recruiting players trying to convince them they should play for them...even though their contract ends before the player’s time would finish there.

Have you ever seen him play?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »
Exactly. Everything I've heard is that he wants to be a wing, but like Ed, he's not a high major wing. No thanks.

And yet Arizona, Oregon, Louisville, UCLA, Auburn, Florida, Texas Tech and even Nate Oats at Alabama have reached out to him.
Not bad for Ed Morrow Parr II.

Nolley may or may not be a good fit for MU, but let's not act like he's a mediocre player.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2020, 01:32:28 PM »
And yet Arizona, Oregon, Louisville, UCLA, Auburn, Florida, Texas Tech and even Nate Oats at Alabama have reached out to him.
Not bad for Ed Morrow Parr II.

Nolley may or may not be a good fit for MU, but let's not act like he's a mediocre player.

Fine. Let them have him. I've seen how that movie ends. He might be a fine player, but I think he's a terrible fit for our system. That's enough reason for me to say hard, hard pass.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »

Question for you:  what assurances do players get that their coach won’t leave or get fired from the school they signed up to play for, prior to their 4 years elapsing?

Kids have to sit out a year if they transfer out after a coach leaves or gets fired.

And btw, you really should stop acting like a know it all and expert on all things because you are the genius who promised us Wojo was the goods and would have us tending like Duke under K once he had “his guys.”  Need me to re-post that from 2015?

Sink or swim. Wojo has 5 years to deliver the goods. Year 5 ended with an implosion, a divided locker room, and the transfer out of two major contributors. Red flag. You don’t extend that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2020, 02:28:44 PM »
Well that’s fine University-based logic. Hey, even though the guy has underperformed and lost two key cogs in program due to locker room mismanagement - we need to extend him to help recruit. Tough sh$t. Sink or swim time. He didn’t deserve either extension and now we are stuck with a guy that is clearly mediocre at best.

Thankfully, you aren't a university administrator, because you clearly don't understand how these things work, not just at Marquette but at pretty much every school in the nation.

As TAMU said, either you extend him or you fire him. And there wasn't a single school in the United States that would have fired him.

You have some decent basketball knowledge, Nrs, but it's frighteningly bad takes of yours like this one that leave some of us scratching our heads.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2020, 02:29:38 PM »

So because two guys listed us (along with other high major programs) as a school that has talked to him (not offered), we reek of desperation?

If by reliant, you mean recruiting grad transfers and transfers like every other program in the country, then yes. It is part of college basketball. In addition, yes I've been expecting year 7 to be a down year for years now.

As for extending him again?  Well that’s fine University-based logic.

What is your vendetta against universities? You've brought this up a couple of time now.

Hey, even though the guy has underperformed and lost two key cogs in program due to locker room mismanagement - we need to extend him to help recruit. Tough sh$t. Sink or swim time. He didn’t deserve either extension and now we are stuck with a guy that is clearly mediocre at best.

First, he hadn't underperformed to that point. Second, I'm of the belief that you either make clean break or you give the coach the all the tools he needs to be successful. You disagree and that's fine.

Next season will be interesting though. You and others have placed expectations so low already. Now that Stan has left who some have claimed is the only reason we have had any success under Wojo, I'd imagine those expectations are even lower. What happens if we do make the tournament next season? Theoretically even making the NIT as high seed would be impressive given how bad you claim the roster is. Of course, I would have though the same this year since many were claiming that we wouldn't make the tournament after losing the Hausers, yet here we are.
TAMU

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »
So because two guys listed us (along with other high major programs) as a school that has talked to him (not offered), we reek of desperation?

If by reliant, you mean recruiting grad transfers and transfers like every other program in the country, then yes. It is part of college basketball. In addition, yes I've been expecting year 7 to be a down year for years now.

What is your vendetta against universities? You've brought this up a couple of time now.

First, he hadn't underperformed to that point. Second, I'm of the belief that you either make clean break or you give the coach the all the tools he needs to be successful. You disagree and that's fine.

Next season will be interesting though. You and others have placed expectations so low already. Now that Stan has left who some have claimed is the only reason we have had any success under Wojo, I'd imagine those expectations are even lower. What happens if we do make the tournament next season? Theoretically even making the NIT as high seed would be impressive given how bad you claim the roster is. Of course, I would have though the same this year since many were claiming that we wouldn't make the tournament after losing the Hausers, yet here we are.

Using logic and reason against them is just unfair. It's quite delicious when it's their own logic though.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2020, 02:38:33 PM »
Thankfully, you aren't a university administrator, because you clearly don't understand how these things work, not just at Marquette but at pretty much every school in the nation.

As TAMU said, either you extend him or you fire him. And there wasn't a single school in the United States that would have fired him.

You have some decent basketball knowledge, Nrs, but it's frighteningly bad takes of yours like this one that leave some of us scratching our heads.

Appreciate the tone 82. The first mistake was extending him the first time after the pre-season NIT. No need.

I get the rationale for why you want a coach under contract for 4+ years for recruiting purposes, but, at some point the coach getting paid $2M has to deal with the consequences of their performance. Maybe his job gets harder. Sure. But. Such is life.

Btw - If I were a university admin, we wouldn’t be in this purgatory of a place. Wojo would have been gone after Year 2. But the patience crowd won out and look where we are headed into Year 7.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »

Using this logic, will Wojo get another extension this year?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »
Verbal Commits
@VerbalCommits
·
33s
Duke G Alex O'Connell (JR) has entered the transfer portal.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »
Appreciate the tone 82. The first mistake was extending him the first time after the pre-season NIT. No need.

I get the rationale for why you want a coach under contract for 4+ years for recruiting purposes, but, at some point the coach getting paid $2M has to deal with the consequences of their performance. Maybe his job gets harder. Sure. But. Such is life.

Btw - If I were a university admin, we wouldn’t be in this purgatory of a place. Wojo would have been gone after Year 2. But the patience crowd won out and look where we are headed into Year 7.

You would have fired a coach who won 20 games in his second season, had just successfully recruited and coached a 5-star who went on to be drafted in the first round, and had a top-25 class coming in that included Markus Howard and Sam Hauser? Really? Impressive.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »

I don't know if he will, but there are reasons that he should. It helps recruiting and is the only real way to open up other clauses in the contract to negotiation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »

I don't think so, and I hope not. He has 4 years left on his contract, and next season should be very important as an evaluation tool.

However, after next season, you probably either have to extend him again or fire him.

That's simply how it works now.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2020, 02:53:25 PM »
I don't think so, and I hope not. He has 4 years left on his contract, and next season should be very important as an evaluation tool.

However, after next season, you probably either have to extend him again or fire him.

But this is the exact scenario of last year.  How is he supposed to recruit, etc?  If this is as bad as you are portraying, we should fire him now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2020, 02:53:32 PM »

Next season, year 7, “should be a very important evaluation tool.”

You’re kidding right, sarcasm, huh? 

feedback