[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 471480 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2020, 08:42:25 PM »
I've asked this before, and don't believe that I've ever gotten a response, so I'll try again.  Has there ever been a high major head coach that has seen out the entirety of his contract?  It seems like the vast majority (if not all) of them either leave of their own accord with years remaining on their contract, or get fired with years remaining on their contract.  All the scoopers that want Wojo gone and are only looking at the years remaining are looking at the wrong numbers.  The only number that should interest this portion of the fanbase is his current buyout. 

As long as Wojo is employed at MU, he will have 4+ years remaining on whatever contract he has.  Neither MU nor Wojo will ever let that number count down to zero.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2020, 08:52:22 PM »
I've asked this before, and don't believe that I've ever gotten a response, so I'll try again.  Has there ever been a high major head coach that has seen out the entirety of his contract?  It seems like the vast majority (if not all) of them either leave of their own accord with years remaining on their contract, or get fired with years remaining on their contract.  All the scoopers that want Wojo gone and are only looking at the years remaining are looking at the wrong numbers.  The only number that should interest this portion of the fanbase is his current buyout. 

As long as Wojo is employed at MU, he will have 4+ years remaining on whatever contract he has.  Neither MU nor Wojo will ever let that number count down to zero.
[/quote

Most likely....

Also depends if right hire is available - which is the most important part of the equation. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2020, 08:52:52 PM »

Yeah. It’s common sense. Contract extensions mean nothing more than, “we’re not firing our coach at the moment.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2020, 08:53:53 PM »
I'd keep a close eye on the DJ Carton recruitment..I hate to get anyone's hopes up but I personally think this one just might happen. He wants to be closer to home..Iowa has no scholarships and won't pursue him. Wisconsin also has no scholarships available. That leaves MU with plenty of playing time to offer, less than 3 hours from home and a previous relationship. Would be a HUGE get.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2020, 08:55:35 PM »
I'd keep a close eye on the DJ Carton recruitment..I hate to get anyone's hopes up but I personally think this one just might happen. He wants to be closer to home..Iowa has no scholarships and won't pursue him. Wisconsin also has no scholarships available. That leaves MU with plenty of playing time to offer, less than 3 hours from home and a previous relationship. Would be a HUGE get.

Do we know for certain he wants to be closer to home? He’s dealing with some mental health issues so it’s reasonable to think he would want to, but I haven’t heard him saying that.

Also, if he wants to go to UW or Iowa they will find a scholarship for him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2020, 09:02:53 PM »
Do we know for certain he wants to be closer to home? He’s dealing with some mental health issues so it’s reasonable to think he would want to, but I haven’t heard him saying that.

Wasn't there a PG in state that was going to go to MU but had mental issues?  I think he just faded away and never played.  What was his name?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2020, 09:07:51 PM »

That is the consensus from most people that have been around him. Iowa will NOT be pursuing him. That's fact. UW has contacted him, but remember, their fans will tell you they don't play the "run someone off" game. Only MU does that and it's despicable when they do. Besides, I'm GUESSING he may not want to stay in the Big Ten and screw OSU like that. It's not like he left there bitter. Also, UW was not even in his final six. Indiana who was in his final six will also not be pursuing him.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2020, 09:08:02 PM »
Wasn't there a PG in state that was going to go to MU but had mental issues?  I think he just faded away and never played.  What was his name?

Nick Noskowiak. Committed to Buzz, I believe recommitted to Wojo before decommitting. Think he had some delinquency issues.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2020, 09:13:53 PM »
Nick Noskowiak. Committed to Buzz, I believe recommitted to Wojo before decommitting. Think he had some delinquency issues.

Weren’t his delinquency issues most likely a consequence of his mental health issues?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2020, 09:36:31 PM »
Weren’t his delinquency issues most likely a consequence of his mental health issues?

Looked him up.  Played 2 years in Juco.  Averaged 10 pts/game his sophomore season. 

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2020, 10:07:12 PM »
That is the consensus from most people that have been around him. Iowa will NOT be pursuing him. That's fact. UW has contacted him, but remember, their fans will tell you they don't play the "run someone off" game. Only MU does that and it's despicable when they do. Besides, I'm GUESSING he may not want to stay in the Big Ten and screw OSU like that. It's not like he left there bitter. Also, UW was not even in his final six. Indiana who was in his final six will also not be pursuing him.

I will second that Iowa will not be pursuing him... their current PG is the coach’s son, Bohannon is coming back as the other PG and unless they get a transfer out they have no scholies.  Carton if he is healthy is a “program changer.”  He’s from Big Ten country... don’t count out Illinois or Bucky
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2020, 10:22:00 PM »
Badgers have Trice, Bowman and Hepburn at point for years. Illinois has Ayo, who might turn pro, so the Illinois would be a good choice,  not sure if they recruited a point guard for this year

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2020, 10:29:36 PM »
Badgers have Trice, Bowman and Hepburn at point for years. Illinois has Ayo, who might turn pro, so the Illinois would be a good choice,  not sure if they recruited a point guard for this year
They added 2 guards in the 2020 class both top 75

muguru

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2020, 10:36:24 PM »

Illinois also has no scholarships available and have 4* Andre Curbelo coming in at PG and Adam Miller at SG

Also MU is only about 3 hours and 15 mins from home(depending on how you go to Bettendorf), Illinois and UW are closer but only by about 20-25 mins. Negligible.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:52:08 PM by muguru »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2020, 10:47:08 PM »
82 - I’ve been banned from Scoop 5 times, 4 of which centered around being critical of Wojo and not relenting from that criticism

First ... I can't believe you'd keep coming back where you're clearly not wanted, but whatevs.

Second ... so you can't offer proof in the form of a link during or after the 2015-16 season in which you said you wanted him fired right then and there. Cool.

Enjoy beating the same subject till it's bloody 500,000 more times ... and until you're banned again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2020, 10:51:23 PM »
Sometimes it is hard to believe, schools somehow know how to run somebody off.  MU looks like the best choice, but if he is that good other schools find away. Like why would Illinois and Wisky call him?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2020, 10:57:19 PM »
Sometimes it is hard to believe, schools somehow know how to run somebody off.  MU looks like the best choice, but if he is that good other schools find away. Like why would Illinois and Wisky call him?

Keep in mind, and especially now with not being able to take visits until who knows when, MU would likely have a leg up on UW and Illinois in that MU was in his final six (and he also visited MU unofficially so he has seen campus etc)., neither of them were. Michigan was in his top 3, but that was when Belien was there,

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2020, 11:21:47 PM »
Well we will see in a month or so!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2020, 12:04:19 AM »
Dachon Burke is transferring from Nebraska. I bring him up because MU recruited him when he transferred from Robert Morris two seasons ago. He was one of the top guys for a terrible Husker squad this past season. His advanced stats don't scream elite player but I could see him being a 4th or 5th starter for a decent high major team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2020, 12:23:47 AM »
Has MU even been mentioned as offering/contacting Carton? I’m assuming Carton hasn’t listed schools he’s looking at yet. I don’t see anything to suggest we’re a likely landing spot for him.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2020, 12:41:35 AM »
Has MU even been mentioned as offering/contacting Carton? I’m assuming Carton hasn’t listed schools he’s looking at yet. I don’t see anything to suggest we’re a likely landing spot for him.

Wojo has contacted him.... Give it until after this weekend, then I think we might see more on him.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2020, 06:02:13 AM »

Not publicly on Twitter, but I've also heard from a couple places that Marquette reached out, and was one of the first to do so. Carton is off social media after taking some abuse over his transfer, so I'm not sure how public his recruitment will be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2020, 07:58:07 AM »
Keep in mind, and especially now with not being able to take visits until who knows when, MU would likely have a leg up on UW and Illinois in that MU was in his final six (and he also visited MU unofficially so he has seen campus etc)., neither of them were. Michigan was in his top 3, but that was when Belien was there,

Wisconsin was one of the first schools to recruit Carton and he may have been on campus previously.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2020, 08:21:39 AM »
Wisconsin was one of the first schools to recruit Carton and he may have been on campus previously.

According to his recruiting timeline, he never visited there. That doesn't mean he didn't however. Plus, with them having no scholarships(and you know Ted they don't believe in running ppl off even though Ericthered is advocating for it in this instance), it might be a tough get for them. That's my hope anyway. Still think MU makes the most sense.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2020, 08:29:03 AM »
According to his recruiting timeline, he never visited there. That doesn't mean he didn't however. Plus, with them having no scholarships(and you know Ted they don't believe in running ppl off even though Ericthered is advocating for it in this instance), it might be a tough get for them. That's my hope anyway. Still think MU makes the most sense.

Carton? He’s visited Wisconsin upwards of 5-10 times since his freshman season of High School.

Wisconsin & Illinois to be big players I’m told. Marquette & Creighton want in too, the Iowa 247 reporter said Wojo called him twice already.

On the Wisconsin angle; Trice graduates, Lorne played off ball to Rozier who ran point in HS this past season & Hepburn is still years away

feedback