[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87748 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 11:55:32 PM »
John Beilein is not coming here no matter how many haikus Keefe posts about it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 12:16:33 AM »
John Beilein is not coming here no matter how many haikus Keefe posts about it.

a deep dark despair
winter of our discontent
an elder savior

Death on call

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 12:33:56 AM »
Speaking of coaching changes, would any decent school hire another Coach K assistant ever again? These guys never succeed, anywhere.

Coach K must have his assistants running for Starbucks and picking up his dry cleaning; they can't be so clueless if they were actually involved with the basketball program.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 01:07:07 AM »
Speaking of coaching changes, would any decent school hire another Coach K assistant ever again? These guys never succeed, anywhere.

Coach K must have his assistants running for Starbucks and picking up his dry cleaning; they can't be so clueless if they were actually involved with the basketball program.
Hot take but K hasn’t been that great of a basketball coach in several years. His deep run teams have been consistently absolutely loaded with talent that a monkey could coach.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 01:26:56 AM »
Hot take but K hasn’t been that great of a basketball coach in several years. His deep run teams have been consistently absolutely loaded with talent that a monkey could coach.

Oh come on..

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 04:29:02 AM »
Keep spamming this. Also your signature picture is too small I cant see it. Belien will be 68 next year. With the coaching change I'd assume we would be utter trash next year and probably not good in year 2. So john would be 70 in the first year most would start to expect success? What is the long term picture you see?? Is the guy gonna coach till hes 80? How much did he make with the cavs.? Hes not coming to a smallish private school to rebuild marquette basketball. Pull your head out of your ass. What do you see that makes this sound at all realistic
What he sees is the alternative of 6 more years of Wojo wonders. Duke is in need of a janitor to shine Ks shoes.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »
First person to say Brian Wardle should be euthanized.
Wardle would be an upgrade over Wojo.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 04:36:12 PM »
Thanks for starting the thread keefe

First - are there any schools that will take Wojo off our hands?

Second - who are realistic candidates?  Given Wojo can’t succeed here - would TJO or any else really want to come here ?

First - I think there are several P5 schools who are consistent bottom feeders. I could see any of them taking a flyer on a guy like Wojo - Duke pedigree, HC experience at MU. If nothing else, it can't be any worse than what their recent history has been. (Think: Vandy, Wazzou, Ol Miss, BC, et al)

Second - I think Beilein secures the incoming class and builds a winner immediately.

Some people cite Beilein's personal net worth or age as mitigants; what people who have not made it don't understand is that it's not the money but being in the hunt. And age is relative.

I have a colleague who was a GE corporate officer. He lives in a chateau in the Loire Valley. He has secured multi-generational wealth for his family and could kick back without a care in the world. But he wants in. The thought of retirement is anathema to his character and spirit.

Money isn't what drives successful individuals. It is the hunt and the kill.

I don't know Beilein but I know people at the top of their profession and the thought of not doing is hateful.

My only fear is that a John Beilein will get a lot of attention. I hope he sees Marquette as a desirable platform to continue performing at the highest possible level.

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »
Hell, if we’re gonna start over with a guy as old as Beilein, we might as well go after Hologram Al or Hologram Rick.

panda

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 08:23:32 PM »
Do you think Jim Calhoun would be interested. He’s proven himself as a two time program builder!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Do you think Jim Calhoun would be interested. He’s proven himself as a two time program builder!

Has St. Joseph's in the Div-III tournament in only their second year of existence ever as a program.

panda

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2020, 08:02:31 AM »
Has St. Joseph's in the Div-III tournament in only their second year of existence ever as a program.

Can't argue with that. Results matter

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2020, 08:24:43 AM »
Looking like the cupboard is pretty bare.  Shuckssssssssss.
Might have to live with another year of Wojo and a top 10 recruiting class.
Wish you could see my pouty face.

panda

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »

What gives you any hope he’d be able to do any better with this class than he has in the past 6 years.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2020, 08:27:05 AM »

What good does a top 10 recruiting class do if he can't Coach them up properly?? Although, I have always said, he needs the type of recruiting classes where he can essentially just roll the ball out and tell them to go play so it covers his deficiencies.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2020, 08:37:14 AM »
Buddies, Cream was hired because of his recruiting.  Buzz had very very little head coaching experience and was hired based on Creams recommendation and keeping the current team in tack.  I did not follow MU BB much in the 80s but from my take, past hires  by MU based only on coaching was a complete disaster after Majerus.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2020, 09:56:51 AM »
who is TJO?

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2020, 10:05:52 AM »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2020, 10:14:21 AM »
Roger that. Thanks.

Is the TJO thirst a blend of "he's from Milwaukee" and "he's won elsewhere as a HC?" Or is there something else that makes people think he's available / interested in coming to MU (despite there being the tiny technicality of there being no job opening here yet)?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2020, 10:18:01 AM »
Roger that. Thanks.

Is the TJO thirst a blend of "he's from Milwaukee" and "he's won elsewhere as a HC?" Or is there something else that makes people think he's available / interested in coming to MU (despite there being the tiny technicality of there being no job opening here yet)?

Multiple people I trust have said that Marquette has always been his dream gig.  He went to Thomas More and have had multiple family members involved with the school.  Not sure if that's still the case but there is very much an affinity for Marquette.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »

Multiple people I trust have said that Marquette has always been his dream gig.  He went to Thomas More and have had multiple family members involved with the school.  Not sure if that's still the case but there is very much an affinity for Marquette.

Cool. Appreciate the insight. Thanks.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2020, 11:08:34 AM »
He had a reputation as being a great recruiting assistant when he was at Iowa State.  Basically established the WI pipeline down there and helped create "Marquette West".

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
He had a reputation as being a great recruiting assistant when he was at Iowa State.  Basically established the WI pipeline down there and helped create "Marquette West".

+1

He's had success recruiting the areas we have recruited, is well known and respected in the state, and has the local ties. On paper, he ticks the boxes. Seems to be a good recruiter, developer of talent, and game coach. But like all coaching possibilities, no one is a guarantee.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback