[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lay Off The Boos  (Read 21594 times)

21rooster

• Starter
Lay Off The Boos
« on: February 27, 2020, 11:48:16 AM »
I buried this in another thread before last night's game, but after last night, it apparently needs its own thread.  Last time it was a generic appeal of the student section.  Today I'll make it more specific: To the boys in section 103 wearing the Maine South HS gear and anyone that decided to join in, stay home on Saturday if you're going to boo any part of the team - coaches or players.  The student section was pretty empty last night, but I'd rather see holes in the student section than hear boos from across the arena. 

In the other thread, I mentioned that a highly-rated recruit will be there on Saturday.  To be clear, there was at least one known recruit in the house last night, and he was certainly close enough to section 103 to hear the boos.  Again - the administration isn't going to make a coaching change based on boos from a small group of kids, particularly with the team basically locking up a tourney berth by handily avoiding a bad loss last night.  But a 16- to 18-year-old kid will let that factor into his decision, either questioning the coach's future or asking whether he wants to play in front of a student section that boos its own 18-9 team.  Regardless of how you feel about the coaching staff, there is no upside, only downside.     

I'll appeal on another level for Saturday.  Saturday is the final home game for Howard, Anim and Johnson.  Each of these kids have made a special contribution to MU in their own way, and the team wouldn't be in line for an NCAA tourney bid without them.  These kids have remained loyal to Wojo and his assistants, and the coaches have played an important role their lives over the last few years.  I would imagine that they may talk about him being like a father to them when they make their senior day remarks.  If you boo the coaches on Saturday, you are not only undermining the recruiting process, undermining the coaching retention process (because if the team catches fire the first weekend of the tourney, everyone will suddenly be worried about the coaches leaving) and disrespecting the coaches.  You will also be disrespecting the seniors being recognized that day. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:51:02 AM by 21rooster »

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Lay Off The Boos
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
Thank you.

You sure section 103?
That’s not even a student section.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:57:21 AM by We R Final Four »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:51:55 AM »
I am shocked that the bros doing the booing still wear their high school gear.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 11:53:11 AM »
Good post.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 11:56:04 AM »
Good post.  Additionally, there will be a top 30 prospect on an official visit Saturday.  Another reason to not boo.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
I doubt college students would rock HS gear. Hopefully they were just some knuckleheads visiting and back in Mom's basement Saturday

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 12:06:06 PM »
I doubt college students would rock HS gear. Hopefully they were just some knuckleheads visiting and back in Mom's basement Saturday

It's like wearing a Marquette shirt to watch Wes at a Bucks game - since they're repeat offenders, I'd imagine they are students. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »
Not that it should be part of his job, but does Wojo make any effort to interact with and build relationships with the students? Crean & Buzz seemed to do a lot more (passing out donuts before the game and thanking students for coming, etc). The students are probably an easy bunch to win over but Wojo seems to not be putting much effort there.

Also, to OPs last point, I agree. If the ball bounces the right way for 48 hours in the 3rd week of March, Wojo will probably be the hottest name on the market.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 12:18:25 PM »
I buried this in another thread before last night's game, but after last night, it apparently needs its own thread.  Last time it was a generic appeal of the student section.  Today I'll make it more specific: To the boys in section 103 wearing the Maine South HS gear and anyone that decided to join in, stay home on Saturday if you're going to boo any part of the team - coaches or players.  The student section was pretty empty last night, but I'd rather see holes in the student section than hear boos from across the arena. 

In the other thread, I mentioned that a highly-rated recruit will be there on Saturday.  To be clear, there was at least one known recruit in the house last night, and he was certainly close enough to section 103 to hear the boos.  Again - the administration isn't going to make a coaching change based on boos from a small group of kids, particularly with the team basically locking up a tourney berth by handily avoiding a bad loss last night.  But a 16- to 18-year-old kid will let that factor into his decision, either questioning the coach's future or asking whether he wants to play in front of a student section that boos its own 18-9 team.  Regardless of how you feel about the coaching staff, there is no upside, only downside.     

I'll appeal on another level for Saturday.  Saturday is the final home game for Howard, Anim and Johnson.  Each of these kids have made a special contribution to MU in their own way, and the team wouldn't be in line for an NCAA tourney bid without them.  These kids have remained loyal to Wojo and his assistants, and the coaches have played an important role their lives over the last few years.  I would imagine that they may talk about him being like a father to them when they make their senior day remarks.  If you boo the coaches on Saturday, you are not only undermining the recruiting process, undermining the coaching retention process (because if the team catches fire the first weekend of the tourney, everyone will suddenly be worried about the coaches leaving) and disrespecting the coaches.  You will also be disrespecting the seniors being recognized that day.

Maine South?
That explains a lot.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 12:19:01 PM »
Yes he does. He hands out pizza and donuts to the students quite a bit actually.
It’s strange that you ask if Wojo is putting in effort and in the same post state that he doesn’t seem to be putting any effort into it.
How do you know?
And if you know, why did you ask?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
Yes he does. He hands out pizza and donuts to the students quite a bit actually.
It’s strange that you ask if Wojo is putting in effort and in the same post state that he doesn’t seem to be putting any effort into it.
How do you know?
And if you know, why did you ask?

I was just curious as I don’t hear about it all. Maybe more of a case of Crean/Buzz just letting everyone know they were doing it.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
The boos finally showing up shows the general frustration building in the fan base.  A coach college or pro making millions is not immune to boos when the performance justifies them.   

He’s mike dean with less passion on the court that would have been gone already if not for coach K’s coattails that hes been riding. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
Wrong. Some entitled students.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 12:38:32 PM »
The boos finally showing up shows the general frustration building in the fan base.  A coach college or pro making millions is not immune to boos when the performance justifies them.   

He’s mike dean with less passion on the court that would have been gone already if not for coach K’s coattails that hes been riding.

This guy definitely still wears his HS gear to games.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 12:39:39 PM »
Maine South is where Tommy Gardiner attended.  The basketball program drove up last night for the game to support Tommy.  They have photos from the game on Twitter.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »
Anyone thinking they were booing the team, the program and/or Wojo due to results from this year are giving these HS kids too much credit.  They were likely booing because they wanted Gardiner in the game (at least that is what I'm guessing). 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 12:41:57 PM »
Anyone thinking they were booing the team, the program and/or Wojo due to results from this year are giving these HS kids too much credit.  They were likely booing because they wanted Gardiner in the game (at least that is what I'm guessing).

Nice try.
Have some patience, FFS.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
Maine South is where Tommy Gardiner attended.  The basketball program drove up last night for the game to support Tommy.  They have photos from the game on Twitter.
They were near us in 103.  They did not boo.  They did lead the Tommy Gardiner chants at the end.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 12:44:49 PM »
Exactly.  The kids won't be there again on Saturday. 
https://twitter.com/MaineSouthHoops/status/1232876830258008065

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:25 PM »

You are truly an idiot.  There is no sugar coating it. 
Mike Deane rode Oneils coattails in Hutch, Craw, miller, Amal etc., and in 3-4 years blew his wad.
How is Wojo riding anyones coattails at this point.  His stamp on this program is his own at this point.  You have made it abundantly clear that 3 ncaas in 4 years and an incoming recruiting class ranked in the top 10 does not meet ur muster.  We all get it.
Yet, are u so fin obtuse that u cannot understand the OP and the negativity of the booing? Additionally, you blather on about how Wojo will only win with 5 stars.  So wouldnt u support anything the fans can do to help land this 5 star recruit?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:48:09 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »
Exactly.  The kids won't be there again on Saturday. 
https://twitter.com/MaineSouthHoops/status/1232876830258008065
More than just them were booing

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 12:49:38 PM »

As someone who attended Marquette during Mike Deane's tenure I don't know how you can possibly think Wojo is running a similar level program. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 12:50:10 PM »
More than just them were booing
Every other thread for the past week has been about booing; this is the dumbest of them all.  To put the original poster's fears at ease, the mean high school kids (who may or may not have been booing), won't be back on Saturday.

"Today I'll make it more specific: To the boys in section 103 wearing the Maine South HS gear and anyone that decided to join in, stay home on Saturday if you're going to boo any part of the team - coaches or players."

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 12:52:21 PM »

As someone who attended Marquette during Mike Deane's tenure I don't know how you can possibly think Wojo is running a similar level program.

Trying to analyze the mind of a complete fin moron? Good luck with that.
I question how successful MDSB in in his own life, my guess is a significant underacheiver
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback