[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: If Wojo left the program today...  (Read 36721 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: If Wojo left the program today...
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »
Lol, better than Buzz’s record in year 6 in a worse conference...oh, that’s right...he wasn’t trying.

I love how you always only bring up this year with Buzz. You're so predictable. You know what I miss?? I miss MU being a Sweet16/Elite 8 program...like they were under...Buzz. We will never see those days again, at least not under Wojo, that is pretty evident. It's sad and pathetic.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »
I love how you always only bring up this year with Buzz. You're so predictable. You know what I miss?? I miss MU being a Sweet16/Elite 8 program...like they were under...Buzz. We will never see those days again, at least not under Wojo, that is pretty evident. It's sad and pathetic.

Agree.  So what needs to happen for him to get canned? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »
A scandal.  He won't get canned.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »

Something you have no way of knowing...absolutely no way.  I would find it funny if he left like Majerus and went to multiple ones just to blow the minds of some people here.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2020, 04:17:40 PM »
Already predicted that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2020, 05:28:42 PM »
Cheeks

Are you comparing the basketball minds of Wojo and Rick?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2020, 05:33:30 PM »
I wouldn't compare their minds.  I wouldn't compare their recruiting.  I wouldn't compare how they interact with their administrations.   I wouldn't compare their propensities for self destruction. 
    I do think that Wojo is capable of taking a program deep in the tourney.   I hope it is at MU.  But if he leaves, with what he has learned I think he will be successful at his next program.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2020, 05:53:59 PM »
I wouldn't compare their minds.  I wouldn't compare their recruiting.  I wouldn't compare how they interact with their administrations.   I wouldn't compare their propensities for self destruction. 
    I do think that Wojo is capable of taking a program deep in the tourney.   I hope it is at MU.  But if he leaves, with what he has learned I think he will be successful at his next program.
Absolutely laughable

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »
In fairness you mean what you presume he has learned, right? I haven’t seen strong evidence that he’s learned much in almost 6 seasons.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2020, 05:59:28 PM »
Cheeks

Are you comparing the basketball minds of Wojo and Rick?

Nope...I am comparing the lousy treatment of MU fans toward the coaches....and Wojo did way better as head coach of MU than Rick did at MU.  I think reading Rick’s book and his mention of the fans and administration was rather eye opening.  Cannot blame him for wanting out at all....cannot blame Al for the comments he made in 1976.   Rick was a brilliant basketball mind who was smart to leave MU based on how people were treating him.  Right in his book.

Now I’m guessing Silent Verbal is going to fall Rick one of the softest coaches in America for leaving MU. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2020, 06:00:29 PM »
In fairness you mean what you presume he has learned, right? I haven’t seen strong evidence that he’s learned much in almost 6 seasons.

Talk about laughable....but in Rick’s 3 years you would have said the same thing....our fan base....it’s a beauty.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2020, 06:05:43 PM »
Umm they could be sweet 16 this year. What if the davidson miracle didnt happen. Would have been viewed as a very disappointing year for buzz. Do you accept you have to apply "crapshoot" to some extent for the tourney. I agree you gotta win eventually but come on let's wait the season out at least

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2020, 06:16:33 PM »
Talk about laughable....but in Rick’s 3 years you would have said the same thing....our fan base....it’s a beauty.
Speculation. You fail.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »
Speculation. You fail.

Well you just said in 6 years Wojo hasn’t learned anything that you can see....every rating, computer or otherwise says you are wrong....so I’m going to go with your simple inability to judge.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »
Umm they could be sweet 16 this year. What if the davidson miracle didnt happen. Would have been viewed as a very disappointing year for buzz. Do you accept you have to apply "crapshoot" to some extent for the tourney. I agree you gotta win eventually but come on let's wait the season out at least

Winning in March cures a lot of angst. Buzz's first S16 team was 31 in Kenpom heading into the tournament. Just snuck in. Won 2 games. This team is currently 30th.

Buzz's 2nd S16 was a legit very good team. Probably my favorite team of his at MU.

Buzz's E8 was sparked by two last second wins.

The three peak years of his tenure were nearly missed tournament, S16, First round upset loss. And he'd be viewed far differently around here if not for a point or shot here or there. But he got those wins and created those memories.

If Wojo can win a game or two in March this year I'd like to think most critics will give him a longer leash.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2020, 06:37:29 PM »
If Wojo can win a game or two in March this year I'd like to think most critics will give him a longer leash.
THIS is true.

Wojo earned an extension last year due to winning. Not because MU liked him and believed he was 'growing' as a coach or thinks he can someday win a few games in the NCAA. He won, 2nd in the Big East and a high seed in the Tourney.

Most, the vast majority, of fans judge him the same way, on results.

While it is cute to point to a coach that started his career slow and became successful, there are a 1,000 that started slow and were never heard from again.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2020, 06:44:40 PM »
A scandal.  He won't get canned.

Hey, you finally appeared. Where are the latest excuses? You were on a sabbatical to think of them.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2020, 06:46:56 PM »

Hey, you finally appeared. Where are the latest excuses? You were on a sabbatical to think of them.

Nah.   Running alarms.   Ended up finishing the game about 90 minutes after it ended.   Didn't watch it real close as I was writing reports.   Got a sense, saw the score, figured there was nothing here worth seeing.    Took 24 hours off.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2020, 06:53:34 PM »
Absolutely laughable

Which part?    That Rick had a great mind?   That he sometimes clashed with his administration?    That he wasn't a great recruiter?   That he had a propensity for self destruction?      That Wojo has learned?    That I think he can take a program deep in the tourney?   

Look around.    How many schools want a coach averaging 21 wins a year over a 5 year period while scandal free?    With ties to Duke and experience coaching some of the greats?    With a demonstrated ability to attract high level recruits?    Those things leave little doubt in my mind that he can take a program deep in the tourney.    He only has to get hot once.    Look at Crean.     Look at Porter Moser.

If Wake (or anyone) hires him away, whoever MU gets will not have anything near Wojo's current resume. 

But I would support that coach.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:04:57 PM by tower912 »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2020, 07:05:13 PM »

Do you think MU's fanbase is the only one like this in the entire country?? You would be 100% wrong...go read other teams message boards...there is a thread typically on the first page about firing the coach. Xavier has one, Butler has one, many schools have one. Just because you are totally 100% fine with mediocre results(and don't give me BS about it being better then mediocre, it's a unnatural carnal knowledgeing fallacy) doesn't mean the rest of us are. Far from it. We witnessed buzz go to two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 in 5 years..Wojo hasn't done squat in comparison...that is a FACT.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »

They could make the Sweet 16 this year, but that does NOT make them a Sweet 16 program like I was referencing with Buzz...Buzz had two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 in back to back to back years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2020, 07:11:32 PM »
Yep.   Buzz was a better coach.    But he left.   

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2020, 10:21:48 PM »
Which part?    That Rick had a great mind?   That he sometimes clashed with his administration?    That he wasn't a great recruiter?   That he had a propensity for self destruction?      That Wojo has learned?    That I think he can take a program deep in the tourney?   

Look around.    How many schools want a coach averaging 21 wins a year over a 5 year period while scandal free?    With ties to Duke and experience coaching some of the greats?    With a demonstrated ability to attract high level recruits?    Those things leave little doubt in my mind that he can take a program deep in the tourney.    He only has to get hot once.    Look at Crean.     Look at Porter Moser.

If Wake (or anyone) hires him away, whoever MU gets will not have anything near Wojo's current resume. 

But I would support that coach.   
I don’t give a crap about Wojo’s resume. His results have been, and continue to be, mediocre. The basketball world knows it. I don’t see programs falling over themselves to pull Wojo away from MU. No one wants him.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2020, 11:55:13 PM »
They could make the Sweet 16 this year, but that does NOT make them a Sweet 16 program like I was referencing with Buzz...Buzz had two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 in back to back to back years.
So even if wojo makes the sweet 16 this year its still not a "sweet 16 program"? At what point does it become one? 2 sweet 16s? Sweet sixteen every other year? Every 3 years? Every year lol? Jw

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2020, 06:18:47 AM »
Nope...I am comparing the lousy treatment of MU fans toward the coaches....and Wojo did way better as head coach of MU than Rick did at MU.  I think reading Rick’s book and his mention of the fans and administration was rather eye opening.  Cannot blame him for wanting out at all....cannot blame Al for the comments he made in 1976.   Rick was a brilliant basketball mind who was smart to leave MU based on how people were treating him.  Right in his book.

Now I’m guessing Silent Verbal is going to fall Rick one of the softest coaches in America for leaving MU.

Agree and remember the story Kevin O'Neill told at the 100th year reunion?  Kevin had basically rebuilt MU after the Dukiet debacle and MU hadn't gone to an NCAA tournament in maybe 7 or 8 years, but there are the Marquette fans confronting Kevin and his son at McDonald's the morning after a loss and this was the coach who brought Marquette back to high major status.

The only thing that has changed is the internet and now you have the armchair quarterbacks who know everything about coaching and recruiting and aren't shy to tell everyone on a message board.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On