[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mc-Dammit  (Read 35897 times)

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
Re: Mc-Dammit
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2020, 09:16:35 AM »
Since 1/11 we are 6-3.  Most of that time you disappeared from here.
Who did we play during that stretch? We gonna brag about beating the blind and the deaf? Butler lost to DePaul and Providence (home) in that stretch.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:18:14 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »
I expect our guards + BB to attack the basket. They had no inside presence to fear yet we once again sat on the perimeter chucking way too many possessions

BB averages about 3/4 of ONE free throw a game. He never has and never will "attack the basket".

The most likely occurrence when Koby attacks the basket is a turnover or a miss.

We saw a Creighton team that attacked the basket all night long. That is why they won.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »
Who did we play during that stretch? We gonna brag about beating the blind and the deaf?

You realize all of the Big East is in the top 70 right?  There are no easy opponents.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2020, 09:20:10 AM »
Their confidence has to be shot due to how bad we are from 2. We're 291 in 2 pt FG%. Absurdly bad. On "close" two's we're 282...

People on here complaining about Wojo's game plan of us not "taking the ball inside" and "settling for threes" seem to completely miss this point.  Our post players are excellent defenders and rebounders, but not scorers.  Even our forwards (Bailey, Cain) aren't particularly skilled at scoring near the basket.  The stats bear this out.

But we ARE one of the best three point shooting teams in the country.  15th in 3P% and 7th three-point makes per game.  Play to your strengths. I actually really liked some of the offensive sets that started with Markus off ball in the corner.  He would draw their best defender and usually some help to one side of the floor, which gave the others some room to work.  This often leads to open threes.

Unfortunately we clanked a lot of shots last night.  If we shoot our normal 38% we win.  Live by the three, die by the three.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
It would really help to have a reliable 2nd scorer.  BB can be just terrible at times, Koby & Sacar cannot be counted on either. Hate to say it, but the difference between a .500 BE team and a upper level BE team is at UVA.

I agree with most of this, but I think we're more in need of a guy who wants to be a scorer, more than another guy who is a consistent scorer. Sacar has been the clear #2 all season, and Koby has been pretty reliable in conference play. The issue is that our guys look to Markus a little too much when we need a bucket. Sacar and Koby are both capable of getting us points when we need them, but that doesn't seem to be their first instinct.

And then there's Brendan, who has a high ceiling but takes himself out of games at times. I know there were some saying Bailey is a consistent player in some other threads, but that's just not right. His stat lines yo-yo around a lot, and he goes through stretches where he just doesn't seem to have any confidence on offense. If we could get him involved in every game (I know, easier said than done), we could be a more balanced team.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
BB averages about 3/4 of ONE free throw a game. He never has and never will "attack the basket".

The most likely occurrence when Koby attacks the basket is a turnover or a miss.

We saw a Creighton team that attacked the basket all night long. That is why they won.
Agree Koby’s a mixed bag attacking but he’s really good at drawing calls. Anim is more than capable.  Bailey, while he doesn’t do it as much as he should definitely has the skill set to do it consistently. And Markus we know can do it. Unfortunately none of them did it to the degree they should have last night. That’s coaching imo
No Finish Line

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2020, 09:21:49 AM »
It looks like hes getting beat up because they  have a practice squad around him trying to compete in high major ball

That's why hey?  Man you are an idiot.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »
You realize all of the Big East is in the top 70 right?  There are no easy opponents.
Are we counting the ~200 CBB teams that dont matter when comparing the top 70 to a total?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2020, 09:25:22 AM »
Sincere thank you to Tower, TAMU, and others who actually dissected the team's performance of the game last night. 

It's unfortunate that after every loss we can't take the time to actually evaluate what happened because most of the time is spent arguing opinions on how disappointed we should be. 

If you come on the board just to vent your frustrations after a loss, you're doing nothing productive except spreading misery on top of the let down already felt after a loss.  You're either selfish and blind to how you come across to others or you're a trolling badger fan.   Former: You must suck to talk to at parties... be better.  Latter: Kudos, you're doing great!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2020, 09:27:15 AM »
Are we counting the ~200 CBB teams that dont matter when comparing the top 70 to a total?

So you think only games against top 25 or so teams matter because they are the good teams?

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »
Sincere thank you to Tower, TAMU, and others who actually dissected the team's performance of the game last night. 

It's unfortunate that after every loss we can't take the time to actually evaluate what happened because most of the time is spent arguing opinions on how disappointed we should be. 

If you come on the board just to vent your frustrations after a loss, you're doing nothing productive except spreading misery on top of the let down already felt after a loss.  You're either selfish and blind to how you come across to others or you're a trolling badger fan.   Former: You must suck to talk to at parties... be better.  Latter: Kudos, you're doing great!
"2.  But if MU made open shots, they still would have won.
3.  Markus is getting the crap beat out of him.
4.  That is it. "

Really dissected the game there.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2020, 09:28:33 AM »
So you think only games against top 25 or so teams matter because they are the good teams?
Where did I say that? I just don't think we should include the ~200 irrelevant teams when talking about total CBB teams.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »
Where did I say that?

You weren't impressed teams being in the top 70.  Where is the line where you think a win is a good win?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2020, 09:30:19 AM »
People on here complaining about Wojo's game plan of us not "taking the ball inside" and "settling for threes" seem to completely miss this point.  Our post players are excellent defenders and rebounders, but not scorers.  Even our forwards (Bailey, Cain) aren't particularly skilled at scoring near the basket.  The stats bear this out.

But we ARE one of the best three point shooting teams in the country.  15th in 3P% and 7th three-point makes per game.  Play to your strengths. I actually really liked some of the offensive sets that started with Markus off ball in the corner.  He would draw their best defender and usually some help to one side of the floor, which gave the others some room to work.  This often leads to open threes.

Unfortunately we clanked a lot of shots last night.  If we shoot our normal 38% we win.  Live by the three, die by the three.
Couple things; first there are many ways to score in the paint that don’t involve throwing it down low to a big. Second, CU is equally effective from 3 but were just as cold as we were so McDermott adjusted by pushing tempo and attacking. They took 10 fewer 3’s/10 more 2’s and won the game because of it. Once again we saw Wojo’s lack of a counterpunch.
No Finish Line

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
You weren't impressed teams being in the top 70.  Where is the line where you think a win is a good win?
There's no black or white. I'm not counting beating DePaul a good win

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »
There's no black or white. I'm not counting beating DePaul a good win

Xavier a good win? Butler? Georgetown? Providence?   

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2020, 09:32:53 AM »
Xavier a good win? Butler? Georgetown? Providence?
@Butler would be a good win.

H/A against the top 3, A vs similar teams are good wins IMO.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2020, 09:33:17 AM »
Same with any other road game in the conference

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2020, 09:33:54 AM »
Same with any other road game in the conference
@ DePaul will never be a good win. Agree to disagree. My standards are higher.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »
I don't really know how to explain it, but Creighton just looked "smarter." Backdoor cuts, knowing when/where to pass, etc.

They have a collectively higher "bball IQ."

Anyway, no shame losing to an overall better team. If we were hitting the open shots yesterday, McD would have adjusted.

We play this Creighton team 100 times, they win 89 times.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
I don't really know how to explain it, but Creighton just looked "smarter." Backdoor cuts, knowing when/where to pass, etc.
I mean.. we know, but some people don't want to admit it. It all starts in practice.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2020, 09:38:53 AM »

So Butler must be a good team if you'd consider that a good win.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2020, 09:39:29 AM »
So Butler must be a good team if you'd consider that a good win.
Like I said, road wins vs equal opponents is a good win. I think Butler is equal to us. I also don't think we're a good team.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »
If there was anything that gave me concern about Wojo this season, it is this. I thought with the Hausers leaving and Jayce coming in, we would have to change into a much more paint oriented team. I thought the additions of Greg, Jayce, and Koby, along with improvement from Sacar, Jamal, and Theo would lead to more slashing, post ups, and passing out of the paint. I give Wojo credit for taking guys like Bailey, Cain, Sacar, and Elliott and turning them into solid three point shooters, but the lack of slashing ability is really concerning. Wojo's offensive system is effective for sure, but I wonder if the pieces we have would have been better suited in a different approach.

Will be interesting if Karim Mane does come on board. My impression of him is that he is an okay shooter but an elite slasher.

As usual, spot on (highlighted). Wojo seems to believe in a narrowly focused/talented offense and (my main criticism of him) lacks a believable Plan B threat as an alternative.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
Nvm
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:00:14 AM by lurch91 »