Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mc-Dammit  (Read 35911 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Mc-Dammit
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2020, 08:02:47 AM »
Hope? Hope our guys find some nads and play like guys with nads. Not gonna hold my breath.

MU82 enters the chat.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06:28 AM »
I think Joe put it really well on Scrambled Eggs. If you close your eyes while we are on offense, and just look at stats, you would have a more positive view on the offense. It doesn’t necessarily look like good basketball, but it is an efficient offense.
This is mainly because we have the best offensive player in the world on our team. He routinely makes terrible shots and draws 3 guys to him every time he dribbles the basketball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2020, 08:15:42 AM »
It would really help to have a reliable 2nd scorer.  BB can be just terrible at times, Koby & Sacar cannot be counted on either. Hate to say it, but the difference between a .500 BE team and a upper level BE team is at UVA.

No matter that a few morons insist that Sam and Joey leaving was “addition by subtraction” - you are spot on. With Sacar and Koby our 4th and 5th scoring option and BB coming off the bench this team would be much, much better.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »
Marquette is 7-6 in the Big East.

1-4 against the three teams above them
1-2 against the two teams they are tied with
5-0 against the four teams below them

We are who we are.

Thanks, Fluffy BM, I was looking for that.

Remaining games:Above/Loss Seton Hall
Tied/Maybe Prov
Below/Win Gtown, DePaul, SJU
So .. 3 more wins somewhere in there hopefully.  10-8.   

Yay, another 5-6th place BE finish. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2020, 08:16:40 AM »
We took and missed a lot of open 3’s last night. Unfortunately what we didn’t do was exploit their weakness inside. I have a tough time giving Wojo credit for designing a gameplan that lead to a bunch of open 3’s considering the matchup weakness of the opponent.

Theo had more pts than he's had in awhile. Jayce could've scored more. What do you expect without a PF like Lazar or Jae who can play inside
Maigh Eo for Sam

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
McDermott and crew has one of the fastest teams after a made basket.  Seemed like they were initiating their offense while we were scrambling to find our defensive assignments.

Too many missed open looks.  Everyone was missing tonight. We hit our average on those open threes, we win.
Good point.  Creighton went on the attack the moment they got the ball.  MU to lackadaisical initially, and then to late after the Creighton player blew by them.
But we could of won if we could hit a shot.
Oh well, let us win at Providence. Go MU!

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2020, 08:20:49 AM »
Theo had more pts than he's had in awhile. Jayce could've scored more. What do you expect without a PF like Lazar or Jae who can play inside
We need a guy like Creighton's Damien Jefferson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2020, 08:23:24 AM »
No matter that a few morons insist that Sam and Joey leaving was “addition by subtraction” - you are spot on. With Sacar and Koby our 4th and 5th scoring option and BB coming off the bench this team would be much, much better.
Yes, the Hauser brothers were a talented pair, but that is water over the dam.
Credit the others for stepping up and improving throughout the season.  Last night, the shots were just off for everyone.
Hopefully they fall through the hoop this Saturday. 

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2020, 08:28:16 AM »
Hausergate killed the balance on this team. 
Its a pretty easy recipe to beat marquette when you have one legitimate scorer thats extremely undersized and can be easily trapped, no consistent second shooter or slasher, and no athletic post play / threat at the rim.

We needed those buzz era juco transfers this year bad!!!!!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »
Dwight B, Jimmy B and Jae C were great gets.
Buzz had ties to the JUCO ranks.
Davidson coach Bob McKillop has great ties to Europe student players and the Davidson team is loaded with them every year.
Let Wojo recruit to his strengths.
It is nice to dream about the past, but it is only a dream.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2020, 08:39:36 AM »
Good point.  Creighton went on the attack the moment they got the ball.  MU to lackadaisical initially, and then to late after the Creighton player blew by them.
But we could of won if we could hit a shot.
Oh well, let us win at Providence. Go MU!

Despite it being frustrating as the opponent, I thought Creighton's offense was fun to watch and impressive despite the fact they didn't shoot great. They constantly have you under attack and seem to make the right decisions offensively most of the time. MU worked hard to fight over screens and deny the ball at times, but Creighton had great counters with back door cuts and dribble drives where they dumped it off to wide open guys after our help D contested the drive. Frustrating team to play against. Yes, they'll be vulnerable when they don't shoot great, but they have a lot of weapons to go to and must be hard to prepare for in a tourney setting v. unfamiliar opponents. They have a great shot to win conference. I wouldn't mind that as they are much more likable to me than Hall.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2020, 08:42:09 AM »
I expect our guards + BB to attack the basket. They had no inside presence to fear yet we once again sat on the perimeter chucking way too many possessions
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2020, 08:44:50 AM »
Good excuses

Did you quote the wrong post here? Literally was explaining how the selection committee views  Q1 losses and making predictions on seeding depending on our record down the stretch. What could be interpreted as an excuse?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »

As absurd as this may sound, I think Wojo outcoached McD in the first half. I'll need to rewatch to be sure, but my impression was that our D was playing really well and forcing them into bad shots. Our O was getting wide open looks....that refused to fall. Even a slightly below average shooting night would have given us a halftime lead.

I get what you're saying here, and I agree that our defensive gameplan was very good. But I don't think it outweighs Creighton being able to hold Markus scoreless and hold MU as a team to just 22. Sure, we missed some good looks, but Creighton's gameplan worked well, especially against Markus. When we score 22 and are down 10 at the half, the other coach definitely did a lot of things right.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2020, 08:51:23 AM »
I expect our guards + BB to attack the basket. They had no inside presence to fear yet we once again sat on the perimeter chucking way too many possessions
Their confidence has to be shot due to how bad we are from 2. We're 291 in 2 pt FG%. Absurdly bad. On "close" two's we're 282...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2020, 08:52:54 AM »
We don’t show up to the big games. Looks like another first round exit

Why didn't Butler count as big game?  Because it doesn't fit the narrative?

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2020, 08:54:21 AM »
Why didn't Butler count as big game?  Because it doesn't fit the narrative?
Hand up, I don't think Butler is that good.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2020, 08:58:44 AM »

Bet it would have counted as a big game if we lost it.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2020, 09:07:58 AM »
Bet it would have counted as a big game if we lost it.
Home against this Butler team is a game we should win. I think they're a similar team to us (second tier BE team). Big games in the BE are the top 3 teams which we are 1-4 against.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:09:39 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2020, 09:09:17 AM »
Their confidence has to be shot due to how bad we are from 2. We're 291 in 2 pt FG%. Absurdly bad. On "close" two's we're 282...

If there was anything that gave me concern about Wojo this season, it is this. I thought with the Hausers leaving and Jayce coming in, we would have to change into a much more paint oriented team. I thought the additions of Greg, Jayce, and Koby, along with improvement from Sacar, Jamal, and Theo would lead to more slashing, post ups, and passing out of the paint. I give Wojo credit for taking guys like Bailey, Cain, Sacar, and Elliott and turning them into solid three point shooters, but the lack of slashing ability is really concerning. Wojo's offensive system is effective for sure, but I wonder if the pieces we have would have been better suited in a different approach.

Will be interesting if Karim Mane does come on board. My impression of him is that he is an okay shooter but an elite slasher.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
Thanks, Fluffy BM, I was looking for that.

Remaining games:Above/Loss Seton Hall
Tied/Maybe Prov
Below/Win Gtown, DePaul, SJU
So .. 3 more wins somewhere in there hopefully.  10-8.   

Yay, another 5-6th place BE finish.
Three of those Ls on the road, I might add.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »
If there was anything that gave me concern about Wojo this season, it is this. I thought with the Hausers leaving and Jayce coming in, we would have to change into a much more paint oriented team. I thought the additions of Greg, Jayce, and Koby, along with improvement from Sacar, Jamal, and Theo would lead to more slashing, post ups, and passing out of the paint. I give Wojo credit for taking guys like Bailey, Cain, Sacar, and Elliott and turning them into solid three point shooters, but the lack of slashing ability is really concerning. Wojo's offensive system is effective for sure, but I wonder if the pieces we have would have been better suited in a different approach.

Will be interesting if Karim Mane does come on board. My impression of him is that he is an okay shooter but an elite slasher.
Yes. Especially when the matchup advantage is there like it was last night.
No Finish Line

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
Lol

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2020, 09:15:26 AM »
Since 1/10 they are 5-6.

Since 1/11 we are 6-3.  Most of that time you disappeared from here.

feedback