[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: plantar fasciitis  (Read 4268 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
plantar fasciitis
« on: February 16, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »
     i know many people want to call this "heal spurs"  but this freakin hurts and isn't getting any better.  my wife would beach at me for working out on my elliptical in crocs.  they are comfortable as hell and i'm not really pounding as i'm sure most of ya'll are familiar with how an elliptical works.  i've had this fitness club precor at home for 10 years.  short of the occasional slump, i probably use it on average 3-4 times per week for 30 minutes or so.  sometimes 45-60 minutes if i'm feeling extra frisky

anyway, this heal pain, in my right foot only has been gradually coming on for the past 2-3 weeks.  i got these hard orthotics online just to see if they worked before going to the "good feet" guy where his can cost upwards of $200+.  the orthotics do work...some, but wondering what else i can do.  i am able to continue to work out on my elliptical with very little pain, it is walking that's a killer, especially getting out of bed and/or sitting idle for any amount of time

i've read ice and NSAIDS, stretching the calf and planter region and orthotics

any thoughts?  thanks!
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: plantar fasciitis
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
Eye'll bring my endo chit on Wednesday and take yo ass outta pain, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

augoman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »
roll the arch of your foot on a tennis ball several times a day.  Buy a couple pairs of Samuel Hubbard shoes and a pair of Hoka 1.  Eventually the pain will subside, as it did for me.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »
roll the arch of your foot on a tennis ball several times a day.  Buy a couple pairs of Samuel Hubbard shoes and a pair of Hoka 1.  Eventually the pain will subside, as it did for me.

good to know something worked and there is relief in sight.  got the tennis ball going and going shoe shoppin in a minute-somehow i like your idea better than doc's :D

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »

just ordered a pair of sammy hubbard's!  thanks

also suggested to me-rolling a golf ball-God knows i cant do anything else with 'em

and a frozen bottle of water

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 06:46:31 PM »
Hard rubber ball like a dog’s toy ball works real well, too. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »
I don’t know about plantar fasciitis, but those spiky dryer balls are fantastic for rolling under sore feet.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:01:37 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »
Take it seriously and see a foot and ankle ortho.  Sooner the better.  About 5 years ago, wife thought she had planter fasciitis, and it took many exams to get to accurate initial diagnosis.  Turned out to be a tarsal coalition with other complications.  Still not resolved. Pain every day.  Orthotics, ice, rolling frozen bottle, stretched, pt, etc.  all potentially help W symptoms.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 09:54:15 PM »
I've had occasional left heel pain over the last year, but $300 for a pair of shoes?  Yikes.  That would hurt my wallet more than my left heel hurts. 

I'll fork over $7 for a can of tennis balls though.  If that doesn't work, my dog will be happy with new tennis balls

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »
Take it seriously and see a foot and ankle ortho.  Sooner the better.  About 5 years ago, wife thought she had planter fasciitis, and it took many exams to get to accurate initial diagnosis.  Turned out to be a tarsal coalition with other complications.  Still not resolved. Pain every day.  Orthotics, ice, rolling frozen bottle, stretched, pt, etc.  all potentially help W symptoms.

the golf ball thing is already working wonders-at least 50% better already.  i expect this to take a little bit, but if i hit a lull, i have a patient who's a foot doc
got a pair of sammy's frequent travelers for 2 bills

augoman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 11:47:51 PM »
I started with the Hubbards a couple years ago while in Nashville and get a new pair every so often.  Mainly because I want them to last.  The footbed is great for the arch and I added the Hoka 1s for boating (non mar soles) and because I realized that I can no longer wear flat soled shoes.  My casual shoes all seem to have flat soles with no support at all.  My ortho and podiatric guys both stressed the importance of proper arch support.
I got the ball rolling from the PTherapist the orthopod sent me to, along with some exercises.  The ball seemed to give me the most relief.  Good luck, hope it helps.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 12:17:23 AM »
Never owned a pair of these shoes, but intrigued now....give us a review.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 06:15:52 AM »
Never owned a pair of these shoes, but intrigued now....give us a review.

Go check them out online  they have quite few nice styles. Shoe laces typically annoy me. That’s why I found a cool pair of slip ons. If I have to have laces, most times I just don’t tie them and tuck the strings out the way so I obviously am not tripping over myself

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 06:20:17 AM »
Tennis balls, frozen water bottles, and see a PT. Seriously, physical therapy is wildly under used, go to a PT listen to what they say and just incorporate their exercises into your daily routine.

Example, I separated my shoulder(grade 3) playing soccer, went to the ortho who wanted to wire my shoulder back together, wife talked me out of it and went to PT instead. I do a couple of strengthen exercises a couple times a week during my regular weight training routine and shoulder feels wonderful and it's been 6 years now
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 07:11:13 AM »
Example, I separated my shoulder(grade 3) playing soccer, went to the ortho who wanted to wire my shoulder back together, wife talked me out of it and went to PT instead.

When you’re a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 07:28:11 AM »
Tennis balls, frozen water bottles, and see a PT. Seriously, physical therapy is wildly under used, go to a PT listen to what they say and just incorporate their exercises into your daily routine.

Example, I separated my shoulder(grade 3) playing soccer, went to the ortho who wanted to wire my shoulder back together, wife talked me out of it and went to PT instead. I do a couple of strengthen exercises a couple times a week during my regular weight training routine and shoulder feels wonderful and it's been 6 years now

You are only 14 now yet the most cogent poster on Scoop.

#ptmattas

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »
Regular calf stretching. High arch supported, non-minimalist shoes, vary types of exercise/sports movement.

For other reference, Albert Pujols, the baseball player, has been playing with it for at least 15 years.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »
Go check them out online  they have quite few nice styles. Shoe laces typically annoy me. That’s why I found a cool pair of slip ons. If I have to have laces, most times I just don’t tie them and tuck the strings out the way so I obviously am not tripping over myself

That leads to plantar fasciitis....tie your shoes.   ;D

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 10:32:38 AM »
Cortisone shot can help with acute pain while you "re-do" your walk. Go see an ortho.

I've been able to treat with insoles (ortho would help determine the right style, but buy elsewhere down the road) and stretching calves.  The only shoes that have been "good" without insoles have been Ecco - but not universally. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »
Cortisone shot can help with acute pain while you "re-do" your walk. Go see an ortho.

I've been able to treat with insoles (ortho would help determine the right style, but buy elsewhere down the road) and stretching calves.  The only shoes that have been "good" without insoles have been Ecco - but not universally.

i hate needles, 'specially in an already sore plantar region...but i do have a high tolerance to pain ?-( doesn't everyone?   

i cannot imagine the masochist who could stick a needle(cortisone) into my foot right now-would have to hate my guts err sumpin.  he/she would have to run the other way...quickly

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:37 AM »
I can attest that shoes make all the difference.  Stretching and warming up before exercise is very important as well... but shoes can make it go away.  I made the mistake of buying about 6 pairs of $100+ basketball shoes (all of which didn't help) before finally googling around for NBA players who suffer from it, and then buying their shoe.  The arch support was so high compared to normal basketball shoes I would get cramps unless I would jog easily for about 1km in them before playing.  The ones that worked for me were a 3-4 year ago D.Rose shoe, so I bought enough of the same shoe to get me through a couple years. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
Having suffered from plantar fasciitis for years, I got fitted for custom orthotics several years ago.  They weren't cheap but insurance covered 50%.  They completely resolved the problem and I found that they also eliminated back pain when standing or walking for long periods.  I also recommend Vionic shoes, particularly for sandals and slip-ons.  The key is the high, firm arch support.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 01:26:15 PM »
Just take a little CBD and everything will go away.  It's the cure-all that cures a lot.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 01:42:25 PM »
i hate needles, 'specially in an already sore plantar region...but i do have a high tolerance to pain ?-( doesn't everyone?   

i cannot imagine the masochist who could stick a needle(cortisone) into my foot right now-would have to hate my guts err sumpin.  he/she would have to run the other way...quickly

So, when you have to numb a patient's mouth for a procedure, do you sympathize as you are driving that industrial size needle through their gums?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 08:05:33 AM »
I had it a couple of years ago but worked my way through it over about 4-5 months.  It sucked.

(Obviously I have nothing useful to contribute!  But did I say it sucked?)

feedback