[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kevin Stallings and Pitt Busted  (Read 2317 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Kevin Stallings and Pitt Busted
« on: February 20, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »
Kevin Stallings was at Vanderbilt when TC bolted for Bloomington. As we all know, Chico hated the Buzz hire - thought we should have made a run at Stallings instead. Well, not only was he subsequently a failure on the court at both Vandy and Pitt, he’s also earned a 3 year show cause for himself and probation for Pitt for recruiting violations. I guess he technically wasn’t a “just win” guy (because he didn’t win) but it appears he was a cheater nonetheless. Hiring him would have been a total lose/lose.

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Kevin Stallings and Pitt Busted
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Kevin Stallings was at Vanderbilt when TC bolted for Bloomington. As we all know, Chico hated the Buzz hire - thought we should have made a run at Stallings instead. Well, not only was he subsequently a failure on the court at both Vandy and Pitt, he’s also earned a 3 year show cause for himself and probation for Pitt for recruiting violations. I guess he technically wasn’t a “just win” guy (because he didn’t win) but it appears he was a cheater nonetheless. Hiring him would have been a total lose/lose.
Just quickly reading the violation. Too Many coaches? I don't think he would have received a show cause if he didnt destroy evidence and give the NCAA a double middle finger.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 09:50:35 PM »

I continue to live rent free....your obsession is my greatest victory.

Yo also ignored the other guys I also wanted...Tony Bennett being a top choice....the guy you said was overrated.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 10:14:14 PM »

Yo also ignored the other guys I also wanted...Tony Bennett being a top choice....the guy you said was overrated.

1. You don’t live “rent free” in anyone’s brain. Your lies and half truths put you there - so the price you’ve paid is your integrity. But maybe that’s nothing to you.

2. I don’t recall you banging the drum for TB at the time, though you talk a lot about it now. Source, please.

3. I don’t believe I ever said TB was overrated, only that his resume wouldn’t be complete until he had success in the postseason. And when it became complete, I congratulated him for succeeding on his final exam.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 04:27:11 AM »
All those extra coaches and he still couldn’t get an ACC win.  :o

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 07:06:07 AM »
Meanwhile in other news, 25% of the Pomeroy Top 40 anxiously await the end of the NCAA Summer of 2019 Investigation wrist slaps so they can get on with their NCAA runs.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »

Are you going to go back and critique everyone's suggestion for a head coach?  Because if not....

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »
Pay players?  No problem, keep on coaching Sean and Will!

Have too many people on your staff?  See ya never Kevin!

Is the NCAA worse than FIFA?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 08:42:22 AM »
Very courageous of the NCAA to come down hard on a guy whose career as a major college coach is over.
I hear Jerry Wainwright is next in their sights.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:59:42 AM by Pakuni »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
Pay players?  No problem, keep on coaching Sean and Will!

Have too many people on your staff?  See ya never Kevin!

Is the NCAA worse than FIFA?

Did you read the article?  It wasn't the violation, which would have resulted in minor penalties, it was the various ways he tried to cover it up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 08:53:59 AM »

Did you read the article?  It wasn't the violation, which would have resulted in minor penalties, it was the various ways he tried to cover it up.

And Miller, Self and Wade haven’t? Or, their schools?  Yet, they are poised for high NCAA seeds in a few weeks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 08:56:14 AM »

Yeah that doesn't change my view on it one bit.  Cover up, too many staff members, whatever it may be.  Stallings, get gowne!  Which is fine with me but...

It's okay Bill, Will, and Sean!  We literally have you on wire taps talking about paying for players to come to your program.  Good luck in March!

Somewhere along the way the punishment has to fit the crime.  In my opinion, as the rules are now, there's not anything more that a coach could do to hurt the competitive balance of the game than pay players to play for them.

Kevin covered up minor NCAA violations that hardly gave him a leg up on the competition.  Will, Bill, and Sean paid top athletes to come play for them, giving coaches who at least make an attempt to follow the rules (as they are) no chance to land the top talent.

To me, there's no question which coach(es) deserve to be out of the college game.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:01:56 AM by manesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 07:13:48 PM »
1. You don’t live “rent free” in anyone’s brain. Your lies and half truths put you there - so the price you’ve paid is your integrity. But maybe that’s nothing to you.

2. I don’t recall you banging the drum for TB at the time, though you talk a lot about it now. Source, please.

3. I don’t believe I ever said TB was overrated, only that his resume wouldn’t be complete until he had success in the postseason. And when it became complete, I congratulated him for succeeding on his final exam.

Yes, rent free.  The fact you started this thread....not only rent free, it's amazing I'm not getting residuals from you. 

I liked Stallings....he had to coach in the slimy SEC and at prestigious university in Vanderbilt.  Despite those tough odds, he was quite successful there.  Was the SEC Coach of the Year the season before Buzz left...so yes, he was on my list.  Could I have predicted he would commit some NCAA penalty years later?  I'm good, really good....but not that good.

Tony Bennett......April 2008...I believe that is the month we hired Buzz.  You are welcome

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8942.0

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8942.25

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8942.msg75098#msg75098

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8210.msg66471#msg66471

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=7889.msg63980#msg63980

And as you can also read in April and May of that year (and beyond), I hoped Buzz was the right pick.  I thought we could have waited rather than rush.   Your memory....hmm.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 08:02:13 PM »

That's exactly right. It's usually not the crime but the cover-up.

In the Air Force we have a saying, "You lie, you die." Integrity matters.

Death on call

feedback