[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Some additional positive press for the Big East  (Read 25395 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Some additional positive press for the Big East
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 01:34:44 PM »
I'd be interested to see similar numbers for assistants. While Wojo obviously isn't one of the 5, we do have both Stan and Dwayne on the sidelines as well, and have helped advance the careers of guys like Justin Gainey and Danny Madhavapallil (minority, not black).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »
Are there any Asian head basketball coaches in D1?  Serious question. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 06:19:39 PM »
I'd be interested to see similar numbers for assistants. While Wojo obviously isn't one of the 5, we do have both Stan and Dwayne on the sidelines as well, and have helped advance the careers of guys like Justin Gainey and Danny Madhavapallil (minority, not black).

Carrawell too.  He interviewed for a head coach spot and I'd consider the Duke role an advancement.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 06:29:32 PM »

http://asiancoachesassociation.com/about/

Obviously, Spoelstra in the NBA.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 06:41:59 PM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 07:57:44 PM »
Yes, but NCAA is my question.
The link provides you the answer you seek.  Todd Golden, Israel.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:45:34 PM »

U are truly an idiot
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 08:57:29 PM »
Such a silly thing to take credit for. It’s not like this was intentional or coordinated by the league / we’re doing anything better than other leagues. It is just a coincidence.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 10:42:06 PM »
U are truly an idiot

Angus beef....it’s what is for dinner, eh?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 10:48:36 PM »
Are there any transgender mongolians coaching? Serious

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 11:14:43 PM »

I don’t know, but it sure would be great to make sure every box is checked because that’s what is most important and will give the Big East positive press...and if he or she can breakdown a 2-3 zone then let’s replace Wojo.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:56:26 AM by Cheeks »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 07:53:35 AM »
It is just a coincidence.
Is it? Are large state schools (especially ones in smaller towns) willing to hire minority coaches? The Big 10 (14) has 1? Look what happened at Indiana. Davis went to a Final Four and was quickly run out.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »
Is it? Are large state schools (especially ones in smaller towns) willing to hire minority coaches? The Big 10 (14) has 1? Look what happened at Indiana. Davis went to a Final Four and was quickly run out.

Davis went to a Final Four with Knight’s players and admitted years later he was in over his head.  Just as African American Rick Majerus wasn’t ready at MU

Some coaches get thrust into positions they simply aren’t ready for at the time.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-07-26/college-basketball-mike-davis-admits-he-wasnt-ready-indiana

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 12:21:49 PM »
Davis went to a Final Four with Knight’s players and admitted years later he was in over his head.  Just as African American Rick Majerus wasn’t ready at MU

Some coaches get thrust into positions they simply aren’t ready for at the time.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-07-26/college-basketball-mike-davis-admits-he-wasnt-ready-indiana

But aren't you the one who says we should be patient and let coaches grow because like Majerus they could get better?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 12:52:21 PM »
But aren't you the one who says we should be patient and let coaches grow because like Majerus they could get better?

Absolutely....but our esteemed fan base didn’t have the patience then just as they don’t now.  Read Majerus’ book, pretty clear he was frustrated with the fans, administration, etc....and it drove him to leave.  Maybe with more patience he becomes the coach he did while still at MU....unfortunately he didn’t.  I hope we don’t make further mistakes and drive people away.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »
The link provides you the answer you seek.  Todd Golden, Israel.

Todd (a friend) is Jewish and got Israeli citizenship when he played there (Like Travis is Italy) but is not actually from Israel, but rather Arizona.

There are some Asian-American assistants (one is a friend who started the Asian Coaches Association) but with so few Asian players having come through college hoops there isn’t a pool from which to hire.

Has MU ever had a minority head coach in any sport? Curious.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
Todd (a friend) is Jewish and got Israeli citizenship when he played there (Like Travis is Italy) but is not actually from Israel, but rather Arizona.

There are some Asian-American assistants (one is a friend who started the Asian Coaches Association) but with so few Asian players having come through college hoops there isn’t a pool from which to hire.

I have to ask....why does being a former player have to dictate whether they are material to coach? 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 08:18:18 PM »
FBM:  "Neat story.  Wonder how Cheeks will passive aggresively minimize this?"

<reads entire thread>

FBM: <chef's kiss>
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 08:34:35 PM »

Pretty sure Crean is now in da SEC, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »
I have to ask....why does being a former player have to dictate whether they are material to coach?

Ask those in hiring. It’s not a requirement but the main avenue for people to get into coaching, which includes playing in HS. Basketball isn’t big in the Asian-American culture in the first place (sports in general are often frowned upon) which leads to a limited number of candidates for jobs.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2020, 09:05:29 PM »
Ask those in hiring. It’s not a requirement but the main avenue for people to get into coaching, which includes playing in HS. Basketball isn’t big in the Asian-American culture in the first place (sports in general are often frowned upon) which leads to a limited number of candidates for jobs.

It depends.  I live in a city where Asians dominate.  A few years ago my son’s volleyball team won the So. Cal championships and later finished second in state.  Every kid was Asian except my son and one other.  The baseball team just won state last year. Etc.  No doubt there are cultural differences, but sports is important for many Asians.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 09:59:30 PM »

If everyone in sports is a friend u must know chicos?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 10:02:24 PM »
It depends.  I live in a city where Asians dominate.  A few years ago my son’s volleyball team won the So. Cal championships and later finished second in state.  Every kid was Asian except my son and one other.  The baseball team just won state last year. Etc.  No doubt there are cultural differences, but sports is important for many Asians.

I will ask it again, do u honestly think anyone on this board believes a single word that you type?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 10:33:19 PM »
I want the Big East to field the best coaches possible. 

feedback