[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: February Fun  (Read 4551 times)

MU82

• All American
February Fun
« on: February 13, 2020, 09:08:20 AM »
Despite last night's loss, we still have a chance to have a very successful, satisfying February.

Four games remain:

Tue 2/18 v Creighton
Sat 2/22 at Providence
Wed 2/26 v Georgetown
Sat 2/29 v Seton Hall

(There will then be road games first week of March against BEast also-rans DePaul and St. John's)

We almost surely will be favored to win all 4 February games, and I expect our heroes to do just that. Still, we (like all teams) occasionally lose one we "should" win and/or win one we "should" lose.

Go 4-0 and we'll be 21-7/11-5 and have a good shot at a protected seed.

Go 3-1 and we'll be 20-8/10-6 and will have a good seed with a chance to improve it.

Go 2-2 and we'll be 19-9/9-7 and will be solidly in the NCAAs.

I think 2-2 is the worst we'll do, and I wouldn't like it if that's all we can muster. And if we do worse than that? I won't even entertain the possibility!

I'm predicting 4-0 ... though 3-1 obviously wouldn't surprise me. Nor would it devastate me.

Excited for what the rest of the season holds.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

skianth16

• All American
Re: February Fun
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
I'm really looking forward to that Providence game. And I'm sure the team is too. I would love to even up the season series at their place.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 10:59:09 AM »
I'm really looking forward to that Providence game. And I'm sure the team is too. I would love to even up the season series at their place.

It's been an interesting series of late. They've won 3 of 4 in Milwaukee. We've won 3 of 4 at their place.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:01:14 AM »
No reason we shouldn’t win all 4
No Finish Line

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
When weve played well weve won
When weve played poorly weve won or almost won
Gotta like our chances
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 11:08:23 AM »

The chances we win all four is about 15%.

I think 11-7 is a realistic finish. Would not be suprised by 10-8. I think I'd be surprised by 9-9.

12-6 or better would be amazing.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 12:18:50 PM »
February makes me nervous in basketball season. A win at home against Creighton would definitely go a long way to calming me. I just have a crap feeling about that game.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 12:27:42 PM »
From the title, i think 82 is gonna start his outdoor fookin season.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 12:29:19 PM »
I am worried about the Creighton game the most
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »
February makes me nervous in basketball season. A win at home against Creighton would definitely go a long way to calming me. I just have a crap feeling about that game.

If we get that one we're officially a lock for the tournament and I'd be surprised if we don't win at least 1/2 @ PC and home at Georgetown, setting us up for 9-6 or 10-5 with 3 winnable games remaining.

We'll make the tournament regardless, but I think a win vs. Creighton could propel us to a really good season. Wish we didn't have to wait 6 days!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
I think we finish the season out 3-3.

I know this would be a bummer for some but 10-8 (or even 9-9) is something I’ll take. We unfortunately lost the butler and prov games. Those would be huge to have right now.

9-9 or 10-8 is a solid 6 or 7 seed. Yes lower than many hoped for but I’ll take it with the adversity this team has dealt with.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 01:19:34 PM »
If we get that one we're officially a lock for the tournament and I'd be surprised if we don't win at least 1/2 @ PC and home at Georgetown, setting us up for 9-6 or 10-5 with 3 winnable games remaining.

We'll make the tournament regardless, but I think a win vs. Creighton could propel us to a really good season. Wish we didn't have to wait 6 days!
'

Agreed on one win and in. I originally predicted 10-8 with my highly scientific approach of guessing in the preseason. Just hoping the team gets some momentum going into the post-season festivities. Still a bit skittish from last years downturn.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »
I think we finish the season out 3-3.

I know this would be a bummer for some but 10-8 (or even 9-9) is something I’ll take. We unfortunately lost the butler and prov games. Those would be huge to have right now.

9-9 or 10-8 is a solid 6 or 7 seed. Yes lower than many hoped for but I’ll take it with the adversity this team has dealt with.

I would be disappointed with 3-3 even though I said I would take 10-8 at the beginning of conference play.  I really believe they are better than every team in the conference except for possibly Seton Hall and Creighton.   But we play both those teams at home and getting one or both those games would propel us up seed lines and I’m getting greedy.  Nervous (especially about Creighton) but greedy.   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 02:22:26 PM »
You must of not seen Creighton and Seton Hall play.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »
I would be disappointed with 3-3 even though I said I would take 10-8 at the beginning of conference play.  I really believe they are better than every team in the conference except for possibly Seton Hall and Creighton.   But we play both those teams at home and getting one or both those games would propel us up seed lines and I’m getting greedy.  Nervous (especially about Creighton) but greedy.

All I keep thinking is "what if". What if they had won the @ Butler, and home vs PC, where would this team be right now. It bums me out that in their three truest tests(@ Hall, @ Nova and @ Creighton), they didn't even get one of those. I really think it's things like that that keep this program from really taking off.

That being said, if they beat Creighton, I predict they win out(and honestly no reason they shouldn't with what's left)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »
Agreed beating Creighton would be a solid indicator of future success.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »
IMO Creighton will be the toughest game for us match-up wise the rest of the season. Similar to last night, it's not a great game for Jayce (unless Kelvin Jones is in). I know the goal should be to play our own game, but if Theo gets in foul trouble, I wonder if Wojo will have a small-ball lineup planned out. Markus, Koby, Sacar, Jamal, and Bailey would be interesting. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »
All I keep thinking is "what if". What if they had won the @ Butler, and home vs PC, where would this team be right now. It bums me out that in their three truest tests(@ Hall, @ Nova and @ Creighton), they didn't even get one of those. I really think it's things like that that keep this program from really taking off.

That being said, if they beat Creighton, I predict they win out(and honestly no reason they shouldn't with what's left)

5.5% chance they win out, per KenPom.

Unrealistic expectations. 4-2 is an optimistic yet realistic expectation.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 06:00:15 PM »
You must of not seen Creighton and Seton Hall play.
I did. Seton Hall is very prone to games like that especially when Powell plays like trash. That does nothing to change my expectations for our rematch, at home vs CU. In fact I’ll wager we’re favored.
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »
From the title, i think 82 is gonna start his outdoor fookin season.

Never goes out of season, my friend.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback