[Today at 02:39:15 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bob Knight returns to Assembly Hall  (Read 7467 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Bob Knight returns to Assembly Hall
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »
Look, Coach Knight won multiple Nattys for a university that never before had sniffed that level of success. I get that Coach Knight had some bad behavior along the way. Candidly, most coaches do. His was more physical and more overt.

Though, gang, I would note that legend has it that Coach Al and one of his players were engaged in a fist fight in the mid 1970s. Yet, we still celebrate Coach Al.

Look, nobody is saying Coach Knight is perfect. He’s far from it. If sainthood is a basis for honoring someone, we’ll honor nobody. Coach Knight should be rêvered not for the whole package but for the good he did.

???
They won two titles before Knight ever set foot there.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
Please. There actually are people who dispute him having throttled Neil Reed, even though it was caught on film for all to see.

I didn’t comment on the Reed incident. Stick to what I commented on. Some people if they dispute the Reed incident doesn’t makes your baseless statement about the other student run in any more true or give it credibility . You’re changing the subject to prop up your statement that has zero evidence behind it.  You hate Knight, we get it, but you’re letting that bias get in the way of what is presented as truth.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2020, 10:05:11 AM »
God you are the worst. Just stick to the topic for once without bringing up politics.

Please point out what was political?  Not a damn thing. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »

The problem I have isn't the acknowledgement that he was a complicated man with both positives and negatives, but that talking heads, and people like dgies, lift up the positives with reverance while ignoring the negatives.

Exactly.....which is why I mentioned the Gayle King Lisa Leslie story.....because of your paragraph right there....Could not be more apples to apples.

Complicated histories for two men based on their athletic accomplishments and controversial actions.

https://pagesix.com/2020/02/06/gayle-king-furious-with-cbs-for-viral-interview-about-kobe-bryant-rape-case/
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2020, 10:10:26 AM »
Goose cried. An important figure in the landscape of college ball and had a love/hate relationship with Bobby Knight. That said, I drove to Chicago Stadium to witness Michael Jordan and did the same with Coach Knight and Assembly Hall. In both cases, I made a decision to visit greatness in their house.
Knight was flawed, but respected by many. I cannot ignore the flaws, or his beating my Warriors, but his accomplishments are to be noted.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 10:11:26 AM »
Look, Coach Knight won multiple Nattys for a university that never before had sniffed that level of success. I get that Coach Knight had some bad behavior along the way. Candidly, most coaches do. His was more physical and more overt.

Though, gang, I would note that legend has it that Coach Al and one of his players were engaged in a fist fight in the mid 1970s. Yet, we still celebrate Coach Al.

Look, nobody is saying Coach Knight is perfect. He’s far from it. If sainthood is a basis for honoring someone, we’ll honor nobody. Coach Knight should be rêvered not for the whole package but for the good he did.

Only our beloved coach is allowed to assault our players, other beloved coaches may not do so to theirs.

He was boorish....he had the entire department on eggshells.  That said, most (not all) of his former players knew what he was doing and he made them better players and men.  People may not like the means by which he did it, but those players love him dearly.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
Only our beloved coach is allowed to assault our players, other beloved coaches may not do so to theirs.

He was boorish....he had the entire department on eggshells.  That said, most (not all) of his former players knew what he was doing and he made them better players and men.  People may not like the means by which he did it, but those players love him dearly.

Just win, baby
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »
Obtuse as Chico’s can be, perhaps that’s his point about Kobe.

Fluffy Sultan couldn’t see it

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
Fluffy Sultan couldn’t see it

Liar.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »
Just win, baby

Except I supported his dismissal and did not like his antics at all....but yes, some support it because they are winning.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »

Exactly.....which is why I mentioned the Gayle King Lisa Leslie story.....because of your paragraph right there....Could not be more apples to apples.

Complicated histories for two men based on their athletic accomplishments and controversial actions.

https://pagesix.com/2020/02/06/gayle-king-furious-with-cbs-for-viral-interview-about-kobe-bryant-rape-case/

Liar
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2020, 10:58:14 AM »
Please point out what was political?  Not a damn thing. 

Liar

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
Liar.

You got caught making a political complaint that wasn’t there......and now you resort to your nonsense.  No surprise.

What’s a matter, couldn’t drive down 2 hours for NMD?  Sad

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »
You got caught making a political complaint that wasn’t there......and now you resort to your nonsense.  No surprise.

What’s a matter, couldn’t drive down 2 hours for NMD?  Sad

You know what you’re doing. I see through your bullsh*t.

Liar.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »
Obtuse as Chico’s can be, perhaps that’s his point about Kobe.

As you can see by the pontiff’s response, he is incapable of acknowledging the obvious parallel.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2020, 11:10:57 AM »

As you can see by the pontiff’s response, he is incapable of acknowledging the obvious parallel.

Keep backtracking.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2020, 12:40:24 PM »

Knight literally choked someone. Al was a much better and gracious man. Not even comparable.

He even kicked his own son during a game on the sidelines and head butted another. Class guy.

https://www.chron.com/sports/college-basketball-men/article/List-of-incidents-involving-Bob-Knight-1849372.php
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 01:14:19 PM »
He even kicked his own son during a game on the sidelines and head butted another. Class guy.

https://www.chron.com/sports/college-basketball-men/article/List-of-incidents-involving-Bob-Knight-1849372.php

I went to school with Pat Knight.  Like his dad, had a temper.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2020, 01:49:28 PM »

???
They won two titles before Knight ever set foot there.

OK, ancient history. But they were a blue blood BECAUSE of Coach Knight. They certainly did not see the level of sustained success that Coach Knight brought them. And if they haven’t, celebrate him too!

If Coach Wojo wins a natty for us, and I hope he does soon, I think the Benny B Thunderdome Might finally get built and name the WojoCenter! Mojos notwithstanding!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »
Zero backtracking...No reason to.  You are simply wrong and will not admit it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
The question Bob Knight had for his son before the long-anticipated return to Assembly Hall:
“Will there be any a--holes there?”

The answer, of course, is 'Yes.' There's at least one a--hole everywhere Bob Knight goes.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
I went to school with Pat Knight.  Like his dad, had a temper.

That justified kicking him during a game?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2020, 04:32:39 PM »
I didn’t comment on the Reed incident. Stick to what I commented on. Some people if they dispute the Reed incident doesn’t makes your baseless statement about the other student run in any more true or give it credibility . You’re changing the subject to prop up your statement that has zero evidence behind it.  You hate Knight, we get it, but you’re letting that bias get in the way of what is presented as truth.

What "truth"? You have offered no proof that the assault wasn't real. Given Bobby's history of bullying and abusive behavior, I have absolutely no reason to believe it didn't happen.

And he did throttle Reed, and lied about it.

He verbally assaulted a volunteer at the NCAA tournament - mercilessly went after somebody just because he knew he could bully the young man. It was disgusting. He should have been suspended.

Many examples of this kind of behavior, and I am thrilled that recruits and their parents wised up and ran away from Bloomington. He didn't deserve to coach them.

And yes, you are right. I am biased against grown men who physically and mentally abuse those they consider weaker because their status as "institutions" lets them get away with it.

Coach Knight should be rêvered not for the whole package but for the good he did.

We will agree to disagree, dg. I do not think this bully should be revered at all.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2020, 06:51:19 PM »
That justified kicking him during a game?

Nope