[Today at 02:42:45 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA investigations cont.  (Read 94784 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: NCAA investigations cont.
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2020, 10:02:56 AM »
Looks like the NCAA is finally getting around to doing something about Coach Strong A-- Offer.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29745009/ncaa-lsu-coach-wade-part-impermissible-payments-potential-recruits-others?linkId=98149375
How long do these ‘investigations’ take? Where the BE is concerned, isn’t Creighton under the microscope?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #276 on: August 26, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »
How long do these ‘investigations’ take? Where the BE is concerned, isn’t Creighton under the microscope?

So was Depaul from what I recall but they only offered and fired the coach who did it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2020, 12:08:19 PM »
Lol. What a joke.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #278 on: August 26, 2020, 10:00:06 PM »
So was Depaul from what I recall but they only offered and fired the coach who did it.

My recollection is that an assistant (associate head?) coach arranged for someone to move in with a player to make sure that the player did work or studied for an exam that the player had to pass to become eligible.  And the player had little impact on the DePaul program before leaving.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #279 on: August 26, 2020, 10:08:06 PM »

I actually don't think people are treating that number as profit.  They are saying that since athletics are responsible for so much revenue, the players should have compensation than just a scholarship.

I realize there isn't profit, but if you look around at the facilities, coaches salaries, administration, etc., you can see why.  Everyone gets to partake in the party except the players at some of these places.  They have to go to class, stay out of trouble, play games during a pandemic....and get a scholarship for it.

It's actually quite possible that athletic departments won't be affected at all.  With some players getting paid under the table 100k or more just to commit, maybe all that will happen is that the booster pay to prospective student-athletes simply goes legit.  Instead of all the skullduggery, schools will develop pools of well heeled boosters who will fund up front legitimate payments to recruits.  My objection to the current system as always been more the NCAA prohibiting outside payments to players because they don't like how that would affect recruiting.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »
That's good info.

That will be be good for the university as a whole,  the tax burden on the basketball team will hurt the non-revenue sports. 40% will go to taxes.

The real tax issue is why college athletic scholarships are not taxed.

Basketball scholarships are barter transactions, pure and simple. In IRS Topic Number 420, it says, "Bartering is the exchange of goods or services. Usually there's no exchange of cash."

Topic 420 goes on to say: "You must include in gross income in the year of receipt the fair market value of goods or services received from bartering."

You interpret this literally and there's no way a college athletic scholarship is not taxable income. The only left to do is determine the fair market value of a Marquette scholarship and the players to file quarterly withholding!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2020, 02:41:49 PM »

Basketball scholarships are barter transactions, pure and simple. In IRS Topic Number 420, it says, "Bartering is the exchange of goods or services. Usually there's no exchange of cash."

Topic 420 goes on to say: "You must include in gross income in the year of receipt the fair market value of goods or services received from bartering."

You interpret this literally and there's no way a college athletic scholarship is not taxable income. The only left to do is determine the fair market value of a Marquette scholarship and the players to file quarterly withholding!

Portions of athletic scholarships are taxable - room and board for instance.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »

This is an interesting take. I think, barring some little known IRS rule, you may have a good point. Not my area of expertise but we maybe opening a whole new can of worms.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »
This is an interesting take. I think, barring some little known IRS rule, you may have a good point. Not my area of expertise but we maybe opening a whole new can of worms.

Can you see the University of Alabama if suddenly about 80 football players have to pay taxes on their scholarship? I think Alabama would secede from the union all over again!

Ditto for Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas and Tennessee.

Actually, I'm sure there is some little-known tax exemption for it. Probably plugged in by a Congressman from Tuscaloosa and a Senator from the "Great" State of Alabama.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2020, 03:16:42 PM »
Can you see the University of Alabama if suddenly about 80 football players have to pay taxes on their scholarship? I think Alabama would secede from the union all over again!

Ditto for Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas and Tennessee.

Actually, I'm sure there is some little-known tax exemption for it. Probably plugged in by a Congressman from Tuscaloosa and a Senator from the "Great" State of Alabama.
Funny and true. Ohio might join also. :D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2020, 03:27:14 PM »

Why would an athletic scholarship be any more taxable than an academic or need-based scholarship?
Regardless, tax law is pretty clear. As Fluffy notes, scholarship money used for room and board is taxable. Scholarship money used for tuition, books and other academic costs is not.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
Why would an athletic scholarship be any more taxable than an academic or need-based scholarship?
Regardless, tax law is pretty clear. As Fluffy notes, scholarship money used for room and board is taxable. Scholarship money used for tuition, books and other academic costs is not.

I'm sure there is a private letter ruling somewhere supporting you.

But the argument I make is that an athletic scholarship is different than, say a needs scholarship or an academic scholarship. Here, the university is expecting performance -- basketball playing -- in return for compensation. The same would hold for a band scholarship or a theater scholarship.

If the student stops playing basketball, the university can and usually does terminate the contract (scholarship) at the end of the semester. The raw definition of barter fits here. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2020, 06:12:59 PM »

But the argument I make is that an athletic scholarship is different than, say a needs scholarship or an academic scholarship. Here, the university is expecting performance -- basketball playing -- in return for compensation. The same would hold for a band scholarship or a theater scholarship.

If the student stops playing basketball, the university can and usually does terminate the contract (scholarship) at the end of the semester. The raw definition of barter fits here.
This an interesting topic. As a father with a daughter on a significant academic scholarship I never thought about it. Shame on me. I can't even lend my own companies money interest free per the IRS. I'm not complaining but it is a unique situation.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »

Here's the IRS on scholarships.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc421

Academic and need-based scholarships typically include performance requirements as well, such as maintaining a GPA above a certain level, taking a minimum course-load, working on campus, etc.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »

Academic and need-based scholarships typically include performance requirements as well, such as maintaining a GPA above a certain level, taking a minimum course-load, working on campus, etc.
Great info. Thank you. My daughter has a minimum GPA to continue receiving money. So far so good. Whew!

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2020, 05:11:05 PM »

Thank God, no need for me to stay awake nights worrying about that 1/4 scholarship I got from the Marquette Tribune for selling ads even though I clearly provided services.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #291 on: October 22, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »
Notice of allegations reportedly arriving at Arizona today.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #292 on: October 22, 2020, 08:44:13 AM »

Is it summer already?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #293 on: October 22, 2020, 09:07:51 AM »

Can we have it CC'd to DaRon Holmes?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2020, 10:33:15 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #295 on: October 23, 2020, 02:37:18 PM »
@BrucePascoe: Arizona acknowledges it has received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA but says it won't release it "in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing enforcement process."

Someone file a FOIA request.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #296 on: October 23, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »
@BrucePascoe: Arizona acknowledges it has received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA but says it won't release it "in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing enforcement process."

Someone file a FOIA request.

Thank You. Jeff Borzello ESPN Staff Writer has an article on the Website today at 3:11CT “Arizona receives NCAA’s notice of allegations on men’’s basketball team”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #297 on: October 23, 2020, 08:33:30 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »
Arizona charged with nine violations, five Level One.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »
Arizona charged with nine violations, five Level One.

The consequences that Northern Arizona will suffer will be unimaginable in modern sports history

feedback