'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA investigations cont.  (Read 96319 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: NCAA investigations cont.
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »
and then when they get hammered you'll complain that others aren't sanctioned.

Nah. I'll love it.

Just read another article with some interesting info -

1. This was the NCAA punishment. The other programs involved in the federal scandal chose to go to the independent tribunal.
2. OK St committed 1 Level 1 violation. Kansas (as an example) committed 5.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2020, 03:25:09 PM »
Nah. I'll love it.

Just read another article with some interesting info -

1. This was the NCAA punishment. The other programs involved in the federal scandal chose to go to the independent tribunal.
2. OK St committed 1 Level 1 violation. Kansas (as an example) committed 5.

It also pushes the major conferences a step closer to leaving the NCAA
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2020, 04:45:58 PM »
It also pushes the major conferences a step closer to leaving the NCAA
The major conferences, including the Big East, have a big voice in setting these rules and punishments. I'd like to hear from university presidents not outrageous fans about the NCAA. I bet you'll hear a much different view.

Any school can leave the NCAA any time they want to.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2020, 05:13:52 PM »
The major conferences, including the Big East, have a big voice in setting these rules and punishments. I'd like to hear from university presidents not outrageous fans about the NCAA. I bet you'll hear a much different view.

I think you’d be surprised at what you’d hear. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2020, 05:16:41 PM »

This is exactly it. If i remember right, the whole reason the new punishment review board aka IARP was formed to begin with was suggestions from Condeeleza Rice's committee, but mostly because I remember Coaches(specifically Mike Brey if I remember right), saying the membership was losing faith and that cheaters needed to be held accountable. The schools/membership ASKED for this.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:51:49 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2020, 05:41:18 PM »
I think you’d be surprised at what you’d hear.
Well there is a snarky, non-informative post.

I think you'd be surprised what you'd hear.

Ha! We're even!

(Intellectual discourse at the highest level)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #206 on: June 05, 2020, 06:40:56 PM »
Well there is a snarky, non-informative post.

I think you'd be surprised what you'd hear.

Ha! We're even!

(Intellectual discourse at the highest level)

There’s more money to be made leaving the NCAA, especially after NIL becomes reality.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #207 on: June 05, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »
There’s more money to be made leaving the NCAA, especially after NIL becomes reality.

For football maybe since the NCAA doesn't own/have rights to the FBS playoffs. Basketball not so much since they do own the NCAA tournament and have the rights to it.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #208 on: June 05, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »
For football maybe since the NCAA doesn't own/have rights to the FBS playoffs. Basketball not so much since they do own the NCAA tournament and have the rights to it.

TV would pay top dollar for a new format

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #209 on: June 05, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
Well the NCAA doesn't get much football money.  So no real reason to pull out for football.  The P6 could put on a decent basketball tournament but not as good as the NCAA.

Maybe the P6 eliminate nonrevenue sports?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #210 on: June 05, 2020, 07:20:46 PM »
Well the NCAA doesn't get much football money.  So no real reason to pull out for football.  The P6 could put on a decent basketball tournament but not as good as the NCAA.

Maybe the P6 eliminate nonrevenue sports?

It’s a pretty fluid landscape but I don’t think there is a lot of love for the NCAA at member schools for a variety of reasons.  It does take all the flak for bad publicity and that is something.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 05, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »
It’s a pretty fluid landscape but I don’t think there is a lot of love for the NCAA at member schools for a variety of reasons.  It does take all the flak for bad publicity and that is something.
It takes flak from ignorant fans who don't understand who runs the NCAA.

Maybe the P6 break off but it's not because of penalties.  The same yahoo fans who don't like the NCAA will rail against the new governing body.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #212 on: June 05, 2020, 07:42:40 PM »
It takes flak from ignorant fans who don't understand who runs the NCAA.

Maybe the P6 break off but it's not because of penalties.  The same yahoo fans who don't like the NCAA will rail against the new governing body.

If they break off, they’ll almost certainly become what they are, a true minor league to the NFL and NBA and the players will be compensated like they should be

muguru

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2020, 08:15:40 PM »
If they break off, they’ll almost certainly become what they are, a true minor league to the NFL and NBA and the players will be compensated like they should be

I honestly don't know why you even watch College BB/Marquette, if you hate the organization they belong to. That's baffling to me. I mean in reality, you're supporting the NCAA which you absolutely loathe.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
Could be but then look out for the IRS.

We could become the Golden Eagles sponsored by Marquette University.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »

They’ll get their share, no doubt

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2020, 08:23:06 PM »
Who's "they"?

It would be MU until some company pays more.

Plus, schools will start amateur sports immediately.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2020, 08:24:15 PM »

Yes, because if schools break off and start compensating the players, then they have to become employees, which means the schools lose their tax exempt statuses. That will NEVER happen.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2020, 08:27:57 PM »
Oh wait,  did you mean the IRS? Do you know how devastating that will be to non-profit institutions? Public and private?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2020, 08:43:16 PM »
Yes, because if schools break off and start compensating the players, then they have to become employees, which means the schools lose their tax exempt statuses. That will NEVER happen.

Uhhh... what exactly does that have to do with tax exemption?  Not for profits are able to hire people you know.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »
Oh wait,  did you mean the IRS? Do you know how devastating that will be to non-profit institutions? Public and private?

Why?  Non-profits pay employees.

You guys clinging to the current model are in for a rude awakening.  It’s over. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2020, 08:59:18 PM »

You also said NIL would never happen.  It’s going to happen. 

You said the courts would defeat it.  That isn’t going to happen.

The income generators will get paid

muguru

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2020, 09:02:53 PM »
You also said NIL would never happen.  It’s going to happen. 

You said the courts would defeat it.  That isn’t going to happen.

The income generators will get paid

I asked you a question Rico..I'm sure I will just get a single flippant answer which is typical of you, but why do you even watch/follow Marquette/college BB if you absolutely loathe the organization they belong to?? That's in effect supporting the NCAA, which is pretty incredible for something you absolutely despise.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2020, 09:06:13 PM »
I asked you a question Rico..I'm sure I will just get a single flippant answer which is typical of you, but why do you even watch/follow Marquette/college BB if you absolutely loathe the organization they belong to?? That's in effect supporting the NCAA, which is pretty incredible for something you absolutely despise.

To support the oppressed student athletes who have been used to fatten the pocketbooks of conferences and their offices.

One day, they will be paid their true worth and it’ll be people like me who helped it happen.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2020, 09:28:58 PM »
To support the oppressed student athletes who have been used to fatten the pocketbooks of conferences and their offices.

One day, they will be paid their true worth and it’ll be people like me who helped it happen.

So basically, you have something against rich people, that's how i read it. LOL How egotistical are you?? You will have NOTHING to do with it. Zero. You crying about it on a message board will have ERO influence. I know you think it will, but it won't.

You know what's really ironic?? You continually bitch about(and you're far from the only one) "opressed" student athletes and how unfairly they are treated, yet, ironically we very rarely ever hear one student athlete say a word about it. Hmmm.