[Today at 02:42:45 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The double-edged sword of playing in Fiserv......  (Read 10834 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: The double-edged sword of playing in Fiserv......
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 10:38:24 AM »
Personally, I don't think a recruit would want to play on the same floor or dunk on the same rims as Giannis.  Too intimidating.

I mean, they don't play on the same floor as Giannis.  So what are they worried about?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »
I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS...

MARQUETTE SHOULD BE PLAYING AT US CELLULAR OR PANTHER ARENA AND MOVE UWM BACK ON CAMPUS.

I said this when they were at the Bradley Center. Arena's like Fiserv can be too big for college basketball. MU should not be in an NBA arena. Its nice and all but too verbose for college kids. Make them earn it.

To me a typical college basketball crowd should only be what they have at Duke or Kansas about 11,000 or no more than 13,000 students.

It's not so much the number of fans there as much as it is the college aged students energy and atmosphere. Not filled with alumni afraid to stand up and get into it!

The first 20 rows all around the lower bowl should go to STUDENTS ONLY SECTION, and the one side only for the band.

Older or alumni must sit rows 20 and up...TV camera angles should only get the lower bowl in view. 

They should go back to the Milwaukee Arena...more of a pit and more of a home court advantage there than Fiserv.

It keeps them humble and hard working...and great seats for everyone! Not to mention the nostalgic element that appeals to me with it.

You should care what anyone says, because this would be the worst decision that could be made.  First of all, do you understand how much this would affect recruiting?  Big time.  It helps recruiting tremendously that we play in a brand new NBA arena.  Secondly, Marquette men's basketball is the only revenue producing sport that we have at Marquette and the University and athletic department depend heavily on this revenue.  If you took approximately $5,000 sold tickets per game away, hundreds of thousands of dollars of revenue would be lost.  Lastly, your idea of the students getting the first 20 rows throughout the entire arena is something that could not and never will happen.  Season ticket holders that donate a lot of money to the University have earned those seats and if they were taken away, it would create many, many issues and a loss of a lot of season ticket holders.  Having the new set up in Fiserv with the student sections at each end of the bowl has worked tremendously I believe. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »
Scoop has turned into a really really weird place this season and i have read some of the most stupid original posts i have ever seen this year.  It saddens me that fellow MU fans could be so stupid and out of touch to literally type and consider some of these bizarro world theories.  Just this morning I read the “peak marcus” post.  No one in their right mind can read that, step back and read it again or read it out loud to any sane person with out seriously questioning the mental health of the poster.  Then in the same morning i read this post!  Absolutely bonkers.  I cannot explain it, has a group of scoopers been entered into a secret US govt LSD trial? Maybe the are so incredibly drunk?  Maybe these OT games have caused people to simply lose all ability for rational thought?  I simply dont know, i begin to read an OP and shortly thereafter am questioning whether the poster is literally fin crazy. It goes beyond lack of basketball IQ, its delusion and lack of a grasp of reality.  Any way just wanted to post that things have taken a wild Twilight Zone turn on this board over the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:59:41 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 11:57:21 AM »
Scoop has turned into a really really weird place this season and i have read some of the most stupid original posts i have ever seen this year.  It saddens me that fellow MU fans could be so stupid and out of touch to literally type and consider some of these bizarro world theories.  Just this morning I read the “peak marcus” post.  No one in their right mind can read that, step back and read it again or read it out loud to any sane person with out seriously questioning the mental health of the poster.  Then in the same morning i read this post!  Absolutely bonkers.  I cannot explain it, has a group of scoopers been entered into a secret US govt LSD trial? Maybe the are so incredibly drunk?  Maybe these OT games have caused people to simply lose all ability for rational thought?  I simply dont know, i begin to read an OP and shortly thereafter am questioning whether the poster is literally fin crazy. It goes beyond lack of basketball IQ, its delusion and lack of a grasp of reality.  Any way just wanted to post that things have taken a wild Twilight Zone turn on this board over the last few weeks.

Try reading the original post before responding next time.  The original post had nothing but praise for Fiserv and what it means for Marquette financially and otherwise, except the fact it almost ensures we'll always get the other team's best game. 

Of course reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.  In addition you regularly like to embarrass yourself, therefore never mind. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 12:05:18 PM »
Why would anyone want a single edged sword?
I'm pretty sure that would be called a knife

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »
Anyone know who the most effective person/office to contact about this would be?   This has been an issue time and time again and I'd definitely like to make my voice heard.

Torrey Ball   
Greg Cronkite   
Brad Gschwendtner

https://gomarquette.com/staff-directory
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 12:23:00 PM »
Try reading the original post before responding next time.  The original post had nothing but praise for Fiserv and what it means for Marquette financially and otherwise, except the fact it almost ensures we'll always get the other team's best game. 

Of course reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.  In addition you regularly like to embarrass yourself, therefore never mind. 

Why would teams play harder at Fiserv versus somewhere else?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2020, 12:23:30 PM »
You should care what anyone says, because this would be the worst decision that could be made.  First of all, do you understand how much this would affect recruiting?  Big time.  It helps recruiting tremendously that we play in a brand new NBA arena.  Secondly, Marquette men's basketball is the only revenue producing sport that we have at Marquette and the University and athletic department depend heavily on this revenue.  If you took approximately $5,000 sold tickets per game away, hundreds of thousands of dollars of revenue would be lost.  Lastly, your idea of the students getting the first 20 rows throughout the entire arena is something that could not and never will happen.  Season ticket holders that donate a lot of money to the University have earned those seats and if they were taken away, it would create many, many issues and a loss of a lot of season ticket holders.  Having the new set up in Fiserv with the student sections at each end of the bowl has worked tremendously I believe.
I would join the fire Wojo crowd, if Wojo would be in favor of moving away from Fiserv.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 12:25:15 PM »
I attend, along with a few dozen others, UWM games at the Arena. 
Why? Is this some sort of work release program, or community service in lieu of jail time?

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »
Fiserv is quite possibly the nicest stadium in the country. Amazing that some would want to leave that in order to go to an old dated stadium

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »

Duanewade,
The first 1/3 of your post is completely fine.  I believe after that the combination of LSD, Quaaludes, and crack began to settle in.  Off the wall, wacked, beyond the grasp of reality all apply.  Ur points in a vacuum are weak, outside the vacuum they belong in the same, goofy at best, rubbish bin as “peak marcus” and the other incoherent ramblings that have besieged the board as of late. Seek help
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
God I loved the old Arena - so many happy memories from that venue!

But, go back? Leave the Fiserv? That's a thought that would have never entered my mind.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 01:03:24 PM »
I love the old arena as well! I'm in their for 15+ times per year for Panthers & Admirals games. That said, MU doesn't need to play there.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 01:32:21 PM »
I get Duane's point.  Playing in the best arena in front of a sold out crowd has the potential to amp up their opponent if you leave it just at that. Someone mentioned Kansas and Kentucky and Duke and the others.  While Kansas and Kentucky have large arenas, Duke doesn't.  One thing in common with all of those places though is that they are intimidating places to play.  I think any stadium takes a while to build character but when Fiserv becomes a beautiful and intimidating place to play, we will know we have the ultimate home court advantage.  Getting there, MU has to keep winning and MU and their fans need to do whatever they can to make the place as uncomfortable as possible for the opponent.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »
OK, I have been a regular at the Arena, the Bradley Center and now the Computing Castle.

AINT NO WAY WE GO BACKWARD. EVER

The Arena was fun for a 1970s era program. We were loud, noisy and it was a party in there. Every week.

I promise you, it will be the same at the Computing Castle when we get to where we were in the 1970s.

One of the best games I was ever at was a Syracuse game in the Bradley Center where, as I recall we won. The place was filled, it was rocking and there was a championship game air to it. And this was in an arena considered to be inadequate.

Anyone who thinks we should spend $100 million-p[lus on our own arena or go back to the 1970s is NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 01:49:22 PM »
I cannot believe the consistent stupidity of threads this year. Scoopers are failing miserably with monotonous regularity (ref some old British golf announcer).

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
OK, I have been a regular at the Arena, the Bradley Center and now the Computing Castle.

AINT NO WAY WE GO BACKWARD. EVER

The Arena was fun for a 1970s era program. We were loud, noisy and it was a party in there. Every week.

I promise you, it will be the same at the Computing Castle when we get to where we were in the 1970s.

One of the best games I was ever at was a Syracuse game in the Bradley Center where, as I recall we won. The place was filled, it was rocking and there was a championship game air to it. And this was in an arena considered to be inadequate.

Anyone who thinks we should spend $100 million-p[lus on our own arena or go back to the 1970s is NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

If we are thinking about the same game, it was mid-week and Oxxxxe broke the crap out of that zone.  I went with a Syracuse friend and it indeed was a win.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »
If we are thinking about the same game, it was mid-week and Oxxxxe broke the crap out of that zone.  I went with a Syracuse friend and it indeed was a win.

I believe that was the Jake Thomas 4 point play game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 02:16:05 PM »
Here is my idea:  MU should buy the old Mecca floor, lease out the fun deck on the Viking Cruise ship in port for the winter, ring the floor with only the students in the balcony rooms and continue to charge them $8 per game even though, if they show up, they boo our coach and players. Oh, and we can seat the old carbed out sweater vesties below cabin but continue charge them $260 per person per game.  MU will regain its home court advantage because opponents will be playing in Arctic conditions.

All aboard!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2020, 02:29:31 PM »
Here is my idea:  MU should buy the old Mecca floor, lease out the fun deck on the Viking Cruise ship in port for the winter, ring the floor with only the students in the balcony rooms and continue to charge them $8 per game even though, if they show up, they boo our coach and players. Oh, and we can seat the old carbed out sweater vesties below cabin but continue charge them $260 per person per game.  MU will regain its home court advantage because opponents will be playing in Arctic conditions.

All aboard!

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »
I believe that was the Jake Thomas 4 point play game.

That was it.  Ox 7 for 7 from the field and 12-13 from the line.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2020, 03:07:17 PM »
Loved that game. We had a big group watching it at the same bar where Syracuse had a big group watching. We were in one room, and they were in another. When Cuse would make a big play, we could hear them cheering like crazy, and vice versa. So much fun.

Jake's 4-point play was cool. Maybe the 5th-biggest play (at best) in that game; any momentum that first-half play gave us was illusory, as we later ended up falling behind by just about as many points and still trailed by 7 with 8 minutes left in the game. But it was cool. Thank goodness for Mayo hitting two huge 3s down the stretch, Davante totally taking over and Cadougan playing a real nice floor game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2020, 03:11:44 PM »
Loved that game. We had a big group watching it at the same bar where Syracuse had a big group watching. We were in one room, and they were in another. When Cuse would make a big play, we could hear them cheering like crazy, and vice versa. So much fun.

Jake's 4-point play was cool. Maybe the 5th-biggest play (at best) in that game; any momentum that first-half play gave us was illusory, as we later ended up falling behind by just about as many points and still trailed by 7 with 8 minutes left in the game. But it was cool. Thank goodness for Mayo hitting two huge 3s down the stretch, Davante totally taking over and Cadougan playing a real nice floor game.
Jake’s play, though, was the most notable of that game.  The sudden feeling in the BC when he made that shot was pure drama theater.  Amazing.

connie

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2020, 03:22:55 PM »
I too was at the Bucks MECCA game.  It was a nice nostalgia throwback, made all the more special by the fact that it hasn't 't happened since--and there are no plans for it to return.  I think a steady diet would sour people pretty quickly.  Or at least I hope so.  I know Scoop spends too much time in the past but this is just stupid.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »
That was it.  Ox 7 for 7 from the field and 12-13 from the line.

One of my best friends is a Syracuse grad. He was texting me during the game in a rage about Gardner. He has referred to Gardner as "B*tch tits" ever since.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.