[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Big 10 wants to change transfer rules  (Read 12610 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Big 10 wants to change transfer rules
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2020, 12:22:32 PM »
Duke did mine Liberty for Seth Curry and Rice for Sean Obi.  Kentucky currently has a transfer from Bucknell.

Curry also transferred the year after his big bro set the world on fire and was a lottery pick (which undoubtedly gave him visibility he otherwise wouldnt have had) and also may have realized that he didn't want to spend 4 years at an uber restrictive school like Liberty when he had options elsewhere.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »

Unless they play a bunch of other sports that aren't basketball or football.

Yeah, kinda weird how soccer and volleyball players don't need to get acclimated.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
So I don't know what's funnier....that Cheeks pulled up a quote from two years ago in support of his position, or that I completely misread Barry Hinson's Wikipedia page.

Yeah, I follow the Valley, so I was confused when saw that quote attributed to Hinson as SIU's coach.

And, JayBee is right about SIU. Bryan Mullins is definitely a name to watch in the future.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »
It's not a penalty. It is in place to help kids get acclimated to their new school. #StudentsFirst

Stop trying to use these kids for sports only! They are the children of this great country. Let them be educated.

PS - Southern Illinois is GREAT. Freshman Wisconsinite Marcus Domask has been tremendous. Next season they add Dawson's D1 MN teammate -- another Wisconsin kid - Dalton Banks.

I like the other poster's idea of changing the 5 year rule.. I would be OK with having a 6th year exception for people that lost a year or two because of transfer, so long a the academics are in order. Heck, maybe college bball starts producing MBAs instead of guys who take a couple of grad classes for show.

When the NCAA grants a waiver, it’s due to a review of the student that they are the type of person that doesn’t need a year to be acclimated to the school?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2020, 12:36:53 PM »
When the NCAA grants a waiver, it’s due to a review of the student that they are the type of person that doesn’t need a year to be acclimated to the school?

No. We don't get to see the arguments and reasoning.

Rules should be followed. Would make it easier to understand.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2020, 01:05:54 PM »

Unless they play a bunch of other sports that aren't basketball or football.

GOTTEM

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
No. We don't get to see the arguments and reasoning.

Rules should be followed. Would make it easier to understand.

The waiver process is part of the rules.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2020, 04:48:49 PM »
So, basically in the last decade, you can name two instances of Duke taking a transfer from a smaller program. I can see why there's such panic.

The Bucknell kid is a grad transfer.

those are ones that come to mind immediately for Duke, there may be more, I don't care to look right now.  We had Rowsey transfer up. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2020, 05:01:44 PM »
those are ones that come to mind immediately for Duke, there may be more, I don't care to look right now.  We had Rowsey transfer up.

No one is saying upward transfers don't happen.
There's just no reason to believe that mid- and low-major rosters are going to be picked clean of all their talent every year - even to the point they shut down their programs - as some here are arguing. Some programs will lose players some years. They'll also pick up players who are looking to move down a level for more minutes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2020, 05:20:59 PM »
And yet somehow everyone else in the thread somehow managed to simply ignore it and not comment on it for almost 24 hours. Too bad you couldn't find the strength to do the same.

Yessir. I guess he misses me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2020, 05:36:40 PM »
And, JayBee is right about SIU. Bryan Mullins is definitely a name to watch in the future.

Hopefully he levels up in time unlike the last "name to watch" from SIU.  Thank god MU avoided Lowery.

Also, SIU is "great"?  Pretty liberal use of the term for a team that is 140 in the NET and has a largely unremarkable season outside of sneaking past a really tough UNI team at home.  The MVC is pretty soft this year.  Looks more like the MAC than the WCC or MWC.  Even the SoCon is better this year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »
Hopefully he levels up in time unlike the last "name to watch" from SIU.  Thank god MU avoided Lowery.

Also, SIU is "great"?  Pretty liberal use of the term for a team that is 140 in the NET and has a largely unremarkable season outside of sneaking past a really tough UNI team at home.  The MVC is pretty soft this year.  Looks more like the MAC than the WCC or MWC.  Even the SoCon is better this year.

Great in this case is relative.. but, yeah... I'm a huge Marcus Domask fan.. was trying to tell people he was the better prospect than Days years ago. Crazy, as a frosh he's already got 9 KenPom mvp's.

Not sure I care about the Net, but in KenPom Southern Illinois started off at ~220 and is now 157..they've won 5 in a row and stand at 7-3 in conference. Lots of solid MM teams in the MVC.

Dalton Banks is legit as well.. they've got some young guns getting nice minutes this season..
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »

The Valley has been softer for awhile now. Losing Creighton and Wichita State will do that.  According to KenPom, they’re the 11th best conference.  They are ahead of the SoCon pretty comfortably in that particular matrix and just ahead of the MAC. KenPom has the Mountain West just ahead of them and the WCC 3 spots ahead.

From 2005-2009, they were the 7th best league in KenPom.  That was their high water mark.  They fell all the way down to 15 last year, so they are better this year.  They’ve been around 9-11 the last decade or so for the most part.  The days of the multi-bid Valley are probably over.  That has more to with realignment than transfers. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2020, 09:29:44 PM »

Are you really saying there will be no more successful coaches at those levels?  There are numerous successful coaches at the D2 and D3 levels now.

Regardless, maybe Barry should think of this as an opportunity to recruit more transfers up from the low major level...or recruit those sitting on high major benches with the offer of more playing time.  He's been a decidedly mediocre coach who has all of three NIT bids in his 16 years as a coach in the Missiouri Valley.  One would think he would welcome a change like this, and try to be a leader and innovator.  Because he certainly isn't succeeding in the current system.

But my guess is that he will whine and act the victim instead.

I am happy to use other examples if you wish.  Hinson was an easy one from a few years ago.  I think you are still missing the overall point and Billy (who actually is at a mid major and does this for a living) knows more about this stuff than 99% of the people on this board.  The issue of tampering will absolutely EXPLODE....and please do not start with the tired trope that "it is already happening".  Not like this it won't.  Today it of course happens to some extent, but the player still has to sit out so there is a built in control against it.  If this nonsense is passed, there will be active free agency recruiting all the time.  Who wins?  The haves.  Who loses?  Everyone else. 

This notion by Pakuni about players going down....who cares.  Are the Dodgers suddenly hurting when a player is demoted to Triple A?  Uhm, no.  It's the upward bound players that provide the benefit and the teams they LEAVE that are harmed.  In a baseball example it doesn't matter because they are working in alignment with the big club.  That's not what is going to happen here.  Teams will have their guts ripped out by upper echelon teams, and they will then try to do the same to someone else to fill the void.   Horrible outcomes.

JUST DUMB.   
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2020, 09:31:43 PM »
And yet somehow everyone else in the thread somehow managed to simply ignore it and not comment on it for almost 24 hours. Too bad you couldn't find the strength to do the same.

And yet somehow others have managed not to commit the same actions he continuously does....but he couldn't find the internal strength...again...to do it.  Meanwhile he'll send me countless PMs to show me how wonderful he is in not doing something he continues to do.  Maybe if you were receiving his PMs you would feel differently.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2020, 09:32:47 PM »
have you ever paid back part of your salary to a former employer after you worked there, they trained you and invested time and resources into you, helped develop you and then you left for a better opportunity?

And don't use the "but college students aren't employees" excuse.  It's the same exact thing.

I have not, but my brother-in-law has.  A non-compete clause that if he left he would owe the company money.  Same for his MBA....had to agree to stay with the company for 3 years in return for them paying for his MBA education.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2020, 09:35:14 PM »
So, basically in the last decade, you can name two instances of Duke taking a transfer from a smaller program. I can see why there's such panic.

The Bucknell kid is a grad transfer.

THIS IS SUCH TORTURED LOGIC.  First off, they didn't mine because the kid had to sit out a year.  The market opportunity wasn't there.  Not the case with grad transfers where this is happening more and more.  You think for a second an upper level school wouldn't want a chance to grab a stud player on a team that was in "rebuild" mode because kids were graduating ahead of him?  Etc?  Give me a damn break. You are not comparing apples to apples because the rules aren't the same.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2020, 09:52:01 PM »
For the record and for anybody who cares (and I don't know why anybody would), I haven't sent hoopaloop a single PM -- let alone "countless PMs" -- in more than a month.

And I haven't interacted with him in a thread in almost 6 weeks.

I have, however, had several very nice PMs with StillAWarrior. Seems like a good guy.

We now can get back to transfer rules hopefully changing soon to favor the athletes, which is how it should be. I'd love to see the Big East take the leadership on being on the right side of history here, and not let the Big 14 get all the glory.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2020, 10:02:32 PM »
For the record and for anybody who cares (and I don't know why anybody would), I haven't sent hoopaloop a single PM -- let alone "countless PMs" -- in more than a month.

And I haven't interacted with him in a thread in almost 6 weeks.

I have, however, had several very nice PMs with StillAWarrior. Seems like a good guy.

We now can get back to transfer rules hopefully changing soon to favor the athletes, which is how it should be. I'd love to see the Big East take the leadership on being on the right side of history here, and not let the Big 14 get all the glory.

Stillwarrior is a good guy.  You can be at times, too.  You sent me 17 PMs over a two week period.  You also claimed in several of those PMs how you had and would stop the political stuff....but you didn't, and I called you out for it.  I'm sorry Stillwarrior and others didn't like it.  It's funny I get the blame for that, when if you hadn't done it in the first place no reaction would have happened at all.  Weird.

Now, about transfer rules....not very smart and harm the game.  Tampering will be out of control, some programs will be decimated and to suggest that will not happen to SOME programs it the ultimate head in the sand.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2020, 06:42:12 AM »
Stillwarrior is a good guy.  You can be at times, too.  You sent me 17 PMs over a two week period.  You also claimed in several of those PMs how you had and would stop the political stuff....but you didn't, and I called you out for it.  I'm sorry Stillwarrior and others didn't like it.  It's funny I get the blame for that, when if you hadn't done it in the first place no reaction would have happened at all.  Weird.

Now, about transfer rules....not very smart and harm the game.  Tampering will be out of control, some programs will be decimated and to suggest that will not happen to SOME programs it the ultimate head in the sand.

You really want to be the person to call out someone who says they are going to change their behavior?

I believe there's a mea culpa post on this board from you

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2020, 08:04:44 AM »
I am happy to use other examples if you wish.  Hinson was an easy one from a few years ago.  I think you are still missing the overall point and Billy (who actually is at a mid major and does this for a living) knows more about this stuff than 99% of the people on this board.  The issue of tampering will absolutely EXPLODE....and please do not start with the tired trope that "it is already happening".  Not like this it won't.  Today it of course happens to some extent, but the player still has to sit out so there is a built in control against it.  If this nonsense is passed, there will be active free agency recruiting all the time.  Who wins?  The haves.  Who loses?  Everyone else. 

This notion by Pakuni about players going down....who cares.  Are the Dodgers suddenly hurting when a player is demoted to Triple A?  Uhm, no.  It's the upward bound players that provide the benefit and the teams they LEAVE that are harmed.  In a baseball example it doesn't matter because they are working in alignment with the big club.  That's not what is going to happen here.  Teams will have their guts ripped out by upper echelon teams, and they will then try to do the same to someone else to fill the void.   Horrible outcomes.

JUST DUMB.   

I'm not missing anything.

I don't care about the fate of whiney mid-major programs.  Those who are innovative will find a way.  I don't really care about tampering.  Such is life.  I care more about the players ability to play where they want to play without sitting out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2020, 08:47:15 AM »
You really want to be the person to call out someone who says they are going to change their behavior?

I believe there's a mea culpa post on this board from you

When that same person is PMing me about changing mine and he continues to do it.....you bet.  He can show by example, he cannot do it...is incapable. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »

I'm not missing anything.

I don't care about the fate of whiney mid-major programs.  Those who are innovative will find a way.  I don't really care about tampering.  Such is life.  I care more about the players ability to play where they want to play without sitting out.

I always knew you cared about the haves.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2020, 09:21:42 AM »
When that same person is PMing me about changing mine and he continues to do it.....you bet.  He can show by example, he cannot do it...is incapable.

Post them!  Transparency!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »

THIS IS SUCH TORTURED LOGIC.  First off, they didn't mine because the kid had to sit out a year.  The market opportunity wasn't there.  Not the case with grad transfers where this is happening more and more.  You think for a second an upper level school wouldn't want a chance to grab a stud player on a team that was in "rebuild" mode because kids were graduating ahead of him?  Etc?  Give me a damn break. You are not comparing apples to apples because the rules aren't the same.

Not quite sure what this gibberish means ... but if you want to believe that top programs are really going to re-stock their rosters annually with kids from the MAC and Southland, enjoy that delusion. It certainly won't be the first time one of your predictions of doom has been woefully wrong.

By the way ... notice how one of the guys you frequently quote in your full-throated defenses of the status quo came out yesterday ranting about how badly college basketball needs to change the status quo?

https://sports.yahoo.com/coach-k-on-college-hoops-i-wish-the-whole-thing-would-change-084051665.html

feedback