[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Big 10 wants to change transfer rules  (Read 12600 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Big 10 wants to change transfer rules
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »
Sources say it was the same transgender people who terrorized little girls in bathrooms that did the dog-marrying.

Ahhh politics by MU82 again....aren’t we all shocked by this rare occurrence.   ::)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:06:35 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2020, 08:34:33 AM »
Bull----
With extremely rare exceptions - Steph Curry, Marcus Camby -  a single kid isn't going to drive a small program to major success. Northern Illinois and Stetson losing their best player to a transfer will become ... Northern Illinois and Stetson. Nothing changes.

The slippery slope chicken little stuff here is ridiculous. This changes the college basketball landscape little, if at all.
But it does give the players power, leverage and freedom of movement. And that's what really has some people scared.

I’m not talking about major success, I’m talking regular success which you are now yanking out of those schools.  They took a chance on a kid with resources, investment, etc, help develop the kid and now he gets to walk away.  I’m all for it if he has to pay back the value of the scholarship. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2020, 08:44:17 AM »
“I’m being completely honest and serious. If the media doesn’t take hold of this right now, you can shut mid-major basketball and low-major basketball down. It’s over. That’s a strong quote, I stand by it, and I mean it. The coaches can’t do anything about this.  We are getting ready to be a farm club system…If you think these guys aren’t going to be contacted, you’re living in a world that has faeries. And I’m telling you right now Tinkerbelle ain’t in college basketball. If the media doesn’t join hands, specifically mid-major and low-major schools, we are going to end up with two divisions and you can just shut this down.”
SIU Coach Barry Hinson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2020, 08:49:26 AM »
“I’m being completely honest and serious. If the media doesn’t take hold of this right now, you can shut mid-major basketball and low-major basketball down. It’s over. That’s a strong quote, I stand by it, and I mean it. The coaches can’t do anything about this.  We are getting ready to be a farm club system…If you think these guys aren’t going to be contacted, you’re living in a world that has faeries. And I’m telling you right now Tinkerbelle ain’t in college basketball. If the media doesn’t join hands, specifically mid-major and low-major schools, we are going to end up with two divisions and you can just shut this down.”
SIU Coach Barry Hinson

Yep. Barry might be right here. And the successful coaches will be the ones not whining about the media not "joining hands" (???), but the ones who find a way to thrive in that envrionment.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2020, 09:01:46 AM »
if she is admitted,  yes

So college bureaucrats decide who gets a "free" education and where they get that education. Sounds like a lot of law suits down the pike as to why my kid didn't make the cut.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2020, 09:04:21 AM »
So college bureaucrats decide who gets a "free" education and where they get that education. Sounds like a lot of law suits down the pike as to why my kid didn't make the cut.

Yes colleges by and large get to determine who gets in and who doesn't.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2020, 09:08:18 AM »

Yep. Barry might be right here. And the successful coaches will be the ones not whining about the media not "joining hands" (???), but the ones who find a way to thrive in that envrionment.

You are missing the point, there won’t be any more successful coaches at those levels, not like today, because as they develop kids they will leave.  They are penalized for doing their job well.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2020, 09:09:28 AM »

Isn't that how it works already?]

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
You are missing the point, there won’t be any more successful coaches at those levels, not like today, because as they develop kids they will leave.  They are penalized for doing their job well.

Are you really saying there will be no more successful coaches at those levels?  There are numerous successful coaches at the D2 and D3 levels now.

Regardless, maybe Barry should think of this as an opportunity to recruit more transfers up from the low major level...or recruit those sitting on high major benches with the offer of more playing time.  He's been a decidedly mediocre coach who has all of three NIT bids in his 16 years as a coach in the Missiouri Valley.  One would think he would welcome a change like this, and try to be a leader and innovator.  Because he certainly isn't succeeding in the current system.

But my guess is that he will whine and act the victim instead.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »
It’s not like there’s an unlimited amount of scholarship spots and minutes available for high majors. I’d buy into some of the doom and gloom if they expanded rosters above 13.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2020, 09:57:23 AM »

Ahhh politics by MU82 again....aren’t we all shocked by this rare occurrence.   ::)

And yet somehow everyone else in the thread somehow managed to simply ignore it and not comment on it for almost 24 hours. Too bad you couldn't find the strength to do the same.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »
I’m not talking about major success, I’m talking regular success which you are now yanking out of those schools.  They took a chance on a kid with resources, investment, etc, help develop the kid and now he gets to walk away.  I’m all for it if he has to pay back the value of the scholarship.

Oh, please.
Duke and Kentucky aren't going to be mining the likes of Southern Illinois for their players. #Fakenews

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2020, 10:14:36 AM »
have you ever paid back part of your salary to a former employer after you worked there, they trained you and invested time and resources into you, helped develop you and then you left for a better opportunity?

And don't use the "but college students aren't employees" excuse.  It's the same exact thing.

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »
I have always believed that the rule that makes no sense is not the sit out rule, but the 5 to play 4 rule.  Eliminate the 5 to play 4 rule and require every transfer to sit out a year.  This way nobody loses any eligibility even if they want to transfer every year. 

The sit out year prevents chaos every off season and also makes the kids transferring weigh the pros and cons of their decision which is a good life lesson.  But they shouldn't be penalized an entire year of eligibility if they change their mind on more than one occasion.  Even if someone transfers after every year they play, it will only take 7 years to exhaust their eligibility.  What's the big difference between 5 and 7.  Anyone that transfers 3 times and is still hanging around college at 25-26 probably isn't making that big of an impact anyway.

I believe this would be fair to the student athlete without turning every off season into a free for all.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
I have always believed that the rule that makes no sense is not the sit out rule, but the 5 to play 4 rule.  Eliminate the 5 to play 4 rule and require every transfer to sit out a year.  This way nobody loses any eligibility even if they want to transfer every year. 

The sit out year prevents chaos every off season and also makes the kids transferring weigh the pros and cons of their decision which is a good life lesson.  But they shouldn't be penalized an entire year of eligibility if they change their mind on more than one occasion.  Even if someone transfers after every year they play, it will only take 7 years to exhaust their eligibility.  What's the big difference between 5 and 7.  Anyone that transfers 3 times and is still hanging around college at 25-26 probably isn't making that big of an impact anyway.

I believe this would be fair to the student athlete without turning every off season into a free for all.

Why should a kid have a penalty of sitting out a year in case they made the wrong decision at the age of 17? Why should a coach be able to bail a year after recruiting the player while the player has to determine if sitting out a year is worth improving their situation?

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2020, 10:51:16 AM »
Why should a kid have a penalty of sitting out a year in case they made the wrong decision at the age of 17? Why should a coach be able to bail a year after recruiting the player while the player has to determine if sitting out a year is worth improving their situation?

I just don't think it's that big of a sacrifice if it doesn't cost you any eligibility.  In fact if you play your cards right you can use it to your advantage.  College basketball is a competition.  And competitions have rules to maintain order that you need to obey if you want to participate in the competition.

In the current model kids are losing something.  A year of eligibility is precious when you only have 4.  This way they would not be losing anything.  I also don't think a rule that makes a young adult stop and think before rushing into a big decision is necessarily a bad thing.  But they shouldn't be punished because of that rule.  Just my opinion.  I think it would be better than an open recruiting season every off season. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2020, 11:18:00 AM »
Oh, please.
Duke and Kentucky aren't going to be mining the likes of Southern Illinois for their players. #Fakenews

Duke did mine Liberty for Seth Curry and Rice for Sean Obi.  Kentucky currently has a transfer from Bucknell.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2020, 11:34:06 AM »
Duke did mine Liberty for Seth Curry and Rice for Sean Obi.  Kentucky currently has a transfer from Bucknell.

So, basically in the last decade, you can name two instances of Duke taking a transfer from a smaller program. I can see why there's such panic.

The Bucknell kid is a grad transfer.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
Look, we all know that Barry Hinson is setting up a strawman for when Southern Illinois runs him out of town for doing nothing notable during his tenure there.  This is all to get some unsuspecting MVC school to sign him up for another five or six years of his mediocrity.  Hello Evansville???

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2020, 12:14:04 PM »
Look, we all know that Barry Hinson is setting up a strawman for when Southern Illinois runs him out of town for doing nothing notable during his tenure there.  This is all to get some unsuspecting MVC school to sign him up for another five or six years of his mediocrity.  Hello Evansville???

Hinson is already gone. He resigned last March at SIU. He's currently at Oklahoma St in a special assistant role to Mike Boynton, Jr.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »

It's not a penalty. It is in place to help kids get acclimated to their new school. #StudentsFirst

Stop trying to use these kids for sports only! They are the children of this great country. Let them be educated.

PS - Southern Illinois is GREAT. Freshman Wisconsinite Marcus Domask has been tremendous. Next season they add Dawson's D1 MN teammate -- another Wisconsin kid - Dalton Banks.

I like the other poster's idea of changing the 5 year rule.. I would be OK with having a 6th year exception for people that lost a year or two because of transfer, so long a the academics are in order. Heck, maybe college bball starts producing MBAs instead of guys who take a couple of grad classes for show.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »
Hinson is already gone. He resigned last March at SIU. He's currently at Oklahoma St in a special assistant role to Mike Boynton, Jr.

So I don't know what's funnier....that Cheeks pulled up a quote from two years ago in support of his position, or that I completely misread Barry Hinson's Wikipedia page.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
It's not a penalty. It is in place to help kids get acclimated to their new school. #StudentsFirst

Unless they play a bunch of other sports that aren't basketball or football. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »

Yeah, Cheeks had to dredge up a two-year-old quote.
But Fluffy is right ... Hinson's comments are all about protecting his interests and his job. And, of course, no mention of the ways this would benefit a program like SIU (like, maybe the 10th guy at Illinois or Indiana would like some playing time and immediately becomes a difference maker at a lower level).
As usual, what's best for the athlete is irrelevant to most coaches and administrators.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »

Unless they play a bunch of other sports that aren't basketball or football.

Some things are far less demanding than others. Such as going to StN instead of MU
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.