[Today at 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New York trip suggestions  (Read 7159 times)

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
New York trip suggestions
« on: January 31, 2020, 11:09:33 AM »
Looking at a long weekend in NYC around 3/6-3/9 with an opportunity to see MU at St John's to end the season. Like to stay at the Grand Hyatt and/but looking for additional touring/dining/entertainment ideas. Already have done all the 9/11 stuff. Looking for new things.
Maybe some locals with ideas? Visiting with lady friend and will see her son and wife while there but would probably attend game alone. Plenty of Tix available for the game.
Thoughts? Traveling from Chicago (St Charles, Il)

GOO

• All American
Re: New York trip suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »
Deleted.  Couldn't find link
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:21:51 AM by GOO »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 12:13:37 PM »
Take the Staten Island Ferry. Favorite view of the city and it’s free. If you can time it while the sun is going down it’s cool.

Central Park.

Comedy Cellar was fun.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 12:44:34 PM »
Not a local so I will leave the insider tips to them as it sounds like you have done the tourist stuff. Just a note for alums going to the game, it is being played in Queens and not MSG.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
Walk the High Line.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 01:03:54 PM »
Take the Circle Line. Touristy but you’ll have a blast. Very, very interesting info.

Go to the Comedy Cellar in the W. Village. You’ll need reservations a few days in advance.

There is an interactive activity called Accomplice. They have a website I believe it’s something like AccompliceNYC or something like that. It involves a trip around the West Village where you are part of solving a mystery and certain people who you think are strangers hold clues. Did it last summer.

Can always hit the TICKETS kiosk in Time Square to try for a Broadway show.

Lastly, in terms of meals I would try Trattoria Malatesta in the West Village where they have handwritten menus and make pasta in-house daily. It’s cash only. If you like seafood try FlexMussels. There is one on the Upper East side and one just outside of the Meat Packing District (no Jay Bee).

If you want some other ideas/options send me a message.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
A stroll down Beach 108th St in Rockaway.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »
Go to a deli. Not cheap for a sammich ... but not your run-of-the-mill sammich. Most are big enough to feed a small army.

I like some of the less famous ones, like NYC Deli. Smaller crowds, somewhat smaller sammiches, and less expensive.

Go to an ethnic area. Chinatown, Little Italy, Harlem, etc. Boro Park in Brooklyn is one of the many large Jewish enclaves. You might learn a thing or two about people different than you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77smooth

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 02:07:53 PM »
Try one of the Slice of Brooklyn bus tours and step out beyond Manhattan. There are several to choose from; I like the pizza tour that lets you sample both the brick oven, coal fired pies from Grimaldi's and Sicilian pies from Spumoni Gardens. The buses leave from and return to lower Manhattan. Tony and his crew do a great job. Very entertaining and informative.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 02:36:19 PM »
Hotel preference is the Westin Times Square. Just stayed there two weeks ago and ended up with a 30th floor corner room for less than $200/night with a great view of Hells Kitchen, the West Side and south toward MSG.

Hotel was quiet and pleasant. Beds were heavenly.

Agree with the NYC Deli suggestion -- but be prepared to be bloated. I like Wolfgang's Steak House as well (really NOT inexpensive) for great atmosphere.

Fly into EWR and take the NJT over. Probably faster than LGA or JFK into town. You'll get off the train at Penn Station.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »
Go to a deli. Not cheap for a sammich ... but not your run-of-the-mill sammich. Most are big enough to feed a small army.

I like some of the less famous ones, like NYC Deli. Smaller crowds, somewhat smaller sammiches, and less expensive.

Go to an ethnic area. Chinatown, Little Italy, Harlem, etc. Boro Park in Brooklyn is one of the many large Jewish enclaves. You might learn a thing or two about people different than you.

Too touristy, not genuinely Italian.

If you want a "true" NYC Italian experience, e.g., restaurant/bakery/corner bar/etc., go to Morris Park way up in the Bronx or anywhere in Staten Island.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 03:06:29 PM »
Hotel preference is the Westin Times Square. Just stayed there two weeks ago and ended up with a 30th floor corner room for less than $200/night with a great view of Hells Kitchen, the West Side and south toward MSG.

Hotel was quiet and pleasant. Beds were heavenly.

Agree with the NYC Deli suggestion -- but be prepared to be bloated. I like Wolfgang's Steak House as well (really NOT inexpensive) for great atmosphere.

Fly into EWR and take the NJT over. Probably faster than LGA or JFK into town. You'll get off the train at Penn Station.
If you fly into LGA, take the Q70 into Manhattan and then a train  to where you're staying.  The Q70 bus was still free at Christmas time.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »
Go to Smalls jazz club in the West Village. Kettle of Fish for a good local dive bar in the Village (with Sconnie roots).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
Too touristy, not genuinely Italian.

If you want a "true" NYC Italian experience, e.g., restaurant/bakery/corner bar/etc., go to Morris Park way up in the Bronx or anywhere in Staten Island.

Good idea, Eldon. Thanks for the edit.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »
Looking at a long weekend in NYC around 3/6-3/9 with an opportunity to see MU at St John's to end the season. Like to stay at the Grand Hyatt and/but looking for additional touring/dining/entertainment ideas. Already have done all the 9/11 stuff. Looking for new things.
Maybe some locals with ideas? Visiting with lady friend and will see her son and wife while there but would probably attend game alone. Plenty of Tix available for the game.
Thoughts? Traveling from Chicago (St Charles, Il)

My suggestions will depend on your previous visits as well as those in your party. Also, cost and your general interests matter.

With that said, in no particular order:

If anyone in your party has never been to Central Park, or wants to go or even has before, go. It may be obvious but it is a good place to start. Lots to see and do off in and off of there. (Metropolitan Museum of Art, other museums, other things)

Mentioned:  Walk the High Line. If you go morning there is a nice little bagel place near before before/after (Brooklyn Bagel) and things en route as well as Chelsea Market nearby.  You could even walk it to MSG here if nice weather and able. (I like Pizzeria Suprema if you need a slice near MSG btw)

If you do stay at Grand Hyatt, Grand Central Terminal itself is worth seeing/spending time and you’ll be right there.

Washington Square Park and Flatiron are worth seeing,  spending time. Down by NYU and the Village. Speaking of parks Bryant Park is worth a stop or rest if in your daily routes.

See a show at night, doesn’t really matter which one.

If you like heights and views you could do the Top of the Rock up by Radio City, and the area around there. Going before sunset is a good time. I believe it’s about $40 or so to go up roughly speaking. Some in your party may like that.

Staten Island Ferry (free) was mentioned and takes about an hour or so to go there and back.

Find out what events or festivals are going on that weekend. For example if I’m in NYC around Labor Day I am hitting up the U.S. Open tennis, Brasilian Day festival in Little Brasil, Carnival parade, during that time etc....things like that.

Someone mentioned flying Laguardia, Q70 bus to one of the Queens trains into the city. It’d save you some money if you are up for it and it isn’t too difficult. However if you are a pay for convenience person or have a lot of stuff, it may not be your thing etc.....(I do it often)

Avoid the Port Authority Subway stop (my least favorite)

Explore different neighborhoods.

Have a good time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:12:06 PM by shoothoops »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »
Get a baconeggandcheese (it's all one word) on an everything bagel with salt,  pepper,  and ketchup.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 04:31:04 PM »
Get a baconeggandcheese (it's all one word) on an everything bagel with salt,  pepper,  and ketchup.
Fuhhgggettttabbbbouuutit

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 04:36:58 PM »
I just went to the Seton Hall game in January.  My son lives in Brooklyn and he went with me.  We had dinner at Manhatta on Liberty Street.  61 floors above the city with unbelievable views.  Food is great.  Danny Meyer's newest joint.  I went to St. Johns game in Queens two years ago.  No easy way there.  Took the subway and took a cab the last two miles.  Venue is small but raucous.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 05:50:40 PM »
Bagel Pub
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 06:25:44 PM by manesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 06:01:52 PM »
Don't take a walkin' tour of Bed Sty and mae knot wanna stand in any buffet lines, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 10:22:21 PM »
If you like pizza hit up Lucali in Brooklyn.  Get there the second they start taking names (there will already be a line) and then hit up some local breweries (Other Half, Folksbier) in the area and bring a growler or a bottle of wine for dinner.  Get the margherita pizza, a calzone, and some extra sauce... bare minimum.

If you haven't been, I HIGHLY recommend the Tenement Museum.  Gives a lot of perspective of what people went through in NYC as immigrants.  Walking the High Line is nice... if its nice outside.  Since it will be early March... it probably will be a tad chilly.  Maybe go ice skating at Rockefeller Center or at Central Park.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »
I second the Tenement Museum. Very cool, amazing history and perspective. Doesn't really matter which tour you pick.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 10:46:52 PM »
My recommendations for Great food:

Raouls Restaurant 180 Prince Street

Balthazar 80 Spring Street

Get reservations. Both are very much worth it.

After you can walk around the Village /Soho and have a good time.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 10:52:24 PM »
ZFB knows some broad named Roxy, said it was the best $15 he’s ever spent. It was a bus stop in Queens but I’ll try to get more details for you

Late tix to Broadway is the way to go
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 10:53:56 PM »
My recommendations for Great food:

Raouls Restaurant 180 Prince Street

Balthazar 80 Spring Street

Get reservations. Both are very much worth it.

After you can walk around the Village /Soho and have a good time.

Sammy’s Roumanian Steakhouse if you like vodka and steak, no place like it!

feedback