Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New York trip suggestions  (Read 7118 times)

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
Re: New York trip suggestions
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2020, 10:10:43 PM »
WOW, some great suggestions. Have done some already before but got some great new ideas, too. Really appreciate the responses, thank you.
Need to decide, now.....
Was at the DePaul game waiting for Butler rematch next week.....

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »
N Grand Central, Oyster Bar for good food.
Get a drink at The Campbell, a secret bar in Grand Central.

https://www.simplemost.com/swanky-secret-bar-new-york-grand-central-station/

Climb the stairs to the upper level of the Metro-North train hub at New York City’s Grand Central Station, and you’ll find one of the city’s truly hidden gems: The Campbell Apartment, a historic cocktail bar with serious style.

The Campbell Apartment gets its name from its unique origins. The 3,500 square-foot space has been used as a studio for CBS, a railroad jail and, most famously, the office of millionaire financier John Campbell, who used to host parties there after hours. After Campbell’s death, the space was restored and and turned into a gorgeous, ornately decorated cocktail bar.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
Go to Smalls jazz club in the West Village. Kettle of Fish for a good local dive bar in the Village (with Sconnie roots).

Doesn’t Kettle have a Marquette connection?

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 11:12:55 PM »
Doesn’t Kettle have a Marquette connection?
I’m an alum and have thrown up in there countless times. I guess you could say I’ve left a part of me there...

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 08:27:43 AM »
I've been living in the city for the past 6.5+ years and have lots of suggestions based on what people like to do.  Weather and personal interests obviously play a factor into that.

I know you mentioned you've done the 9/11 stuff, but have you been to the fairly new 9/11 museum?  If not, I would highly, highly recommend this, though you will need several hours for it, and won't be in the chippiest of moods afterwards.

Other touristy items I suggest depending on your tastes.  Walk the Brooklyn Bridge.  It can get busy, but it really is a fun walk.  If you walk from Manhattan to Brooklyn, you can stop at Grimaldi's pizza afterwards and then check out DUMBO / Brooklyn Bridge Park for some killer views.  The nearby F train will get you back to Manhattan.

For any observatories, I recommend top of the rock first, then one world trade, then Empire State.  Top of the Rock is great with its central location.

Less touristy options:  Check out the West Village and Greenwich Village.  Lots of great food and drink options down there.  Fat Cat is a bar with a $3 cover that has live jazz music, as well as ping pong, pool, shuffleboard.  A really great spot.  Greenwich Village has the comedy clubs as well as several other jazz clubs, so lots to do down there.  And Washington Square Park closeby is always great to walk through and see the various street performers there. 

Food options:  I live on the Upper East Side, so have lots of recommendations up there, but I'm guessing you're likely not to venture up there, but let me know otherwise.  I'm a massive fan of the East Village.  Some great cocktail lounges down there.  A killer ceviche place that has only bar seating (only two people work there and they are the chefs/bartenders/waiters).  Some great ramen and sake bars (huge fan of Ippudo).

If you venture down into the Lower East Side, Katz's Deli is definitely a must try for their Pastrami sandwich.  There's a nearby venue with live music called Arlene's Grocery that is a ton of fun.  Not sure what days of the week you're planning to go, but Monday nights are live band karaoke there and its always a blast.

Got a lot more in my mind if you're looking for specific types of food, etc.  Feel free to PM.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 08:33:08 AM »
Damn it. Thought this was recommendations for how to prepare my favorite steak.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:32 AM »

For any observatories, I recommend top of the rock first, then one world trade, then Empire State.  Top of the Rock is great with its central location.

I second this.  Best view of Central Park from Top of the Roc.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
I second this.  Best view of Central Park from Top of the Roc.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it will he one of the non free things you do or see but worth a splurge. Roughly $40 a person or so. Give yourself a few hours to hang out there. It’s a busy area. They may tell you how long you get up there but they really don’t care how long you stay up there if you want to stay a while longer and head back with a different group. I like the time before sunset but any time is a good time. Hope for a nice day. 

From Grand Central you could go over to Bryant Park and then up to Rockefeller Center. Lots of things to see and do in the area. And Rockefeller Center itself will have several dining options if need be for a variety of things. For me getting around is Subway, walk, bus depending on time, ease of travel etc...as I mentioned before try to find out some of the different events, festivals etc things going on when you go as they often can be some of your highlights.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
Last year we found ourselves roaming through FiDi after visiting 9/11 memorial. Not super touristy, but found a cool strip called Stone Street with some great bars and restaurants. Really good pizza at Adrienne's.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 12:15:19 PM »
Go to Smalls jazz club in the West Village. Kettle of Fish for a good local dive bar in the Village (with Sconnie roots).
Kettle of Fish is owned by a guy I grew up with: Pat Daley. A Tosa guy with numerous siblings. He is a superb bar owner and they have a great gig--next door to the Stonewall Inn. He needs some MU gear for the walls.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts on what's been posted so far:

I also endorse the tenement museum and the Ellis Island hard hat tour (if you can get tix), especially if you have relatives that came to America that way.

I would skip Katz's. Overhyped. (Manny's in Chicago better.)

Walking Brooklyn Bridge also a good suggestion weather permitting.

Lastly, one new suggestion. There's a small KGB museum by one end of the high line. An interesting place (if you're into that stuff) that only takes an hour or so.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »
Gato

You a St. Jude guy?

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »
Gato

You a St. Jude guy?

I was a Pius X guy. Daley family moved to St.Judes in 1969+/-
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:14:14 PM by Gato78 »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »
If u are in the Meatpacking district, do the highline etc, make sure to hit the biergarten or other bars below it.  Also Old Homestead steak house is a favorite of mine, a classic old school steakhouse with massive servings a frw blocks from highline
I second the oyster bar in grand central, but seems always going thru gcc on way to or from dinner.
If in midtown, try via italia on 45 e. 46th st.  I have always been surprised by their relatively low reviews.  But upon reading them they are entirely 4- 5 stars supplemented by out of town complainers complaining about having to wait for a table or that a bottle of water costing $10. Ur in nyc ya buffoon! We have always loved it
Also a big fan of Giovannis venticinque on 88th on the upper east side
All depending on where u are in the city.  Zero otto nove in Flatiron has been a favorite too
Have also failed to see Arthur Ave. mentioned for italian eats in the Bronx, across the street from Fordham
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:22:55 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 05:25:33 PM »
I prefer to try off the beaten path places and have found some very pleasant surprises on my recent NYC trips:
Basso56 on 56th between 8th and Broadway
Pure Thai on 9th between 51st/52nd - hole in the wall but great food.
Jongro BBQ in Korea town near the Empire State Building.  (really good)
Old Tblisi Garden (Georgian food - very authentic) - near Washington Square
Bukhara Grill 49th & 3rd.  Very authentic Indian food.  We were the only non-Indian's in the place.  They even had Kingfisher!
And, following the Arthur Avenue suggestion... Enzo's in Bronx Little Italy

As for where to stay I find most of the old hotels which are now converted to some form of Marriott or Hilton to be unimpressive, but there are two Residence Inn's that have spacious rooms (by NYC standards) and breakfast included which I like.  One on 54th/Broadway which is convenient for Central Park and tourist stuff and on on 48th/Lexington which is more convenient for GCC.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »
Gato

Daley’s were neighbors and see Sean D. At the WAC very often. Small world. We moved to Jude’s ‘71.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 06:01:56 PM »
Kettle of Fish is owned by a guy I grew up with: Pat Daley. A Tosa guy with numerous siblings. He is a superb bar owner and they have a great gig--next door to the Stonewall Inn. He needs some MU gear for the walls.
We know his cousin fairly well, think its a UW family.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2020, 10:03:58 PM »
Family rumor was that my great grandparents (I believe) donated the land that is now St. Jude’s to build a school so their kids wouldn’t have to cross the railroad tracks to get to St. Bernard’s. I always thought it was one of those stories of, as my grandpa would say, “don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story,” until the priest at my great uncle’s funeral told the story.

I believe my aunt was very good friends with the guy who owns Kettle of Fish. When my cousin moved out to NYC without knowing anyone I think he kind of took her in as a niece of his own and she spent a lot of time there. We were going to go there for a Packers game when I was out there visiting her but it was too crowded/long of a wait to get in.

Anyways, what is everyone’s favorite view in the NYC area? My favorites have been walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge Park, and on the Staten Island Ferry. Anything further outside of Manhattan that gets a wider view? Waiting for the water taxi at the Dumbo stop was a pretty cool view. I’ve never done any of One World Trade/Top of the Rock/Empire State.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2020, 04:01:54 AM »
Anyways, what is everyone’s favorite view in the NYC area? My favorites have been walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge Park, and on the Staten Island Ferry. Anything further outside of Manhattan that gets a wider view? Waiting for the water taxi at the Dumbo stop was a pretty cool view. I’ve never done any of One World Trade/Top of the Rock/Empire State.

Jersey City or Hoboken, NJ

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2020, 08:21:01 AM »

There are also some spots in Williamsburg Brooklyn with some pretty cool views of the city.  It's just a pain to get to as the subway line that services it is finally under work following the Hurricane Sandy aftermath.

Out of the three options you list at the end, definitely would recommend One World Trade or Top of the Rock.  Top of the Rock is central, so you get some awesome views of the park, and then downtown Manhattan.

One World Trade is great because it is so damn high, you get amazing views of the bridges.  And with it being so new, the presentation of the whole thing is just amazing.  They also have a bar up there with very overpriced drinks (even for NYC).

I mostly don't recommend the Empire State Building because its an iconic building and its better to see it from the other two, rather than be on it, IMO.

This new observatory at Hudson River Yards is opening in March, who knows if it will be in time for the Big East Tourney.

https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/discover/edge