collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 03:19:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2020  (Read 36921 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Golf 2020
« Reply #225 on: July 21, 2020, 10:55:21 PM »
I dunno about that chip shot penalty. I didn't see anything there in live action. The ball may have moved back a minimal amount when he grounded the club, but it returned to its original position - or close enough so that the lie was not improved - when the club was lifted. I don't think these ball close-ups are good for the game. Rahm's was not the only shot I saw yesterday where that happened.

I actually thought he did the same thing in the 3rd round. Nobody said anything about it, so I just shrugged it off.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2020, 12:45:25 AM »
EAL is the woooooorst.

Hardly, he can be annoying but he's nowhere near the Brodie Smith levels of insufferable. Plus I just meant more for content than personality. Would rather see course vlogs like he and golf sidekick do rather than the same club reviews over and over like the Rick Shiels of the world.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:54:00 AM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2020, 06:53:36 AM »
Any golf YouTube channels you guys are fond of? I quite like Eric Anders Lang's videos. His golf guide to Scotland was some incredible stuff.

Saguto Golf is funny. He’s basically an old soul but with a fierce, polished, and catchy YouTube delivery. He is a StackNTilt proponent, but if you just focus on his general concepts your game will improve substantially. I’ve been as low as a 6 handicap but in an effort to regain some lost distance I started overdoing getting the weight onto the insole of the right foot while restricting my hip turn. It took Saguto for me to realize that this eagerness to transfer weight led to my swing no longer being a circle. Now, while I hesitate to fully embrace S&T, I can see how the core concepts of more weight staying on the left, fully turning both the shoulders AND hips, and making sure your shoulder turn isn’t level, but instead tilted (with left sh pointing at the ball at the top), help to produce clean contact and powerful, controlled shots. Whenever I rush the transition and end up decelerating, I need only think “slow going back to the top...wrath of God coming though impact to finish” as he is wont to say.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2020, 07:00:51 AM »
My game is status quo.   More scores in the 70s than 80s.   New driver is working well.   Irons have been erratic.   Chipping has been, as usual, the strength of my game.    Putting, not making 20 footers, not missing 5 footers. 

Got what I think is a compliment from a stranger from a group behind me.  Backed up course, so chatting with him while waiting to tee off on a par 3.    He said he had been watching and really admired my tempo.   Felt a little awkward, actually.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »
Last fall, I tried to tighten my swing, kept thinking about “swinging in a phone booth”, consciously keeping my elbows tight in to my midsection. It’s added a ton of consistency and contact to my irons and wedges. My follow through is a bit odd cause it doesn’t exactly allow me to come all the way around and the top, but I can’t complain.  I asked my golf pro soon to be BIL and he said “if you’re coming through flush with a good face on contact, don’t stress about it”, so that’s where I’m at.

Going to go get fit for a driver and putter in the next few weeks as both need a major upgrade and haven’t had one in a decade and I can’t stand my driver anymore.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2020, 10:38:35 AM »
I am the Stack and Tilt guy.

SO far, very good. One negative is that I've noticed some posterior right knee pain which I attribute to the straightening of the right leg in the back swing. Otherwise, things have gone very well.

In the last 2 years, I was trying a lot of different fixes for consistent driver slice and inconsistent iron mis-hits. Followed advice from all sorts of youtubers: Shawn Clement (great for mindset about your swing, but I didn't find any solid technical fixes for my problem), Clay Ballard/Top Speed Golf, Rick Shiels, Scratch Golf Academy, Chris Ryan, Eric Cogorno. All of those didn't get me anywhere.

I found some inconsistent fix with a change to a strong grip.

However, I stumbled upon Saguto Golf and started implementing a swing change (more with set-up/single body cues) and everything fell into place. At first, I had no idea it was S&T. Once I figured that out, I branched out to also watch Nick Taylor. Saguto is more about keeping things simple with easy cues/swing thoughts. Taylor gets much more technical and in-the-weeds for S&T.

I'm playing the best/most consistent golf of my life. Back to a neutral grip. My only two swing thoughts are "weight on left foot" and "left shoulder down during back swing." If I maintain a moderate tempo, I'm grooving everything. And, it's super simple.

Lastly, I really like Golf Sidekick as a course management/approach to golf mentality. There's something freeing about reducing the pressure on your game and playing to your level. I highly encourage his channel. Start with "The Way of the Playa - The System to Make Golf Fun Again"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:40:18 AM by jesmu84 »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #231 on: July 24, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
Was up on south central MI at a lake house with my in-laws and was able to play some of the Gull Lake Golf Resort Courses. Played Stonehenge North (6 each 3's, 4's & 5's) was a really fun course. Shot an 88 for my first time swinging a club since Memorial Day. Super fun course and love the 6-6-6 build style. Played Bedford Valley for a fun twilight 9. Old school country club vibes on the layout. Would be a great fun walk. Then played back to back days Stoatin Brea. Wednesday shot 89 with 5 OB strokes. Learned the hard way you need to keep it in play here. On Thursday turned around and shot a 78. Tee's were moved back so it took some eagle chances out but man it was fun playing knowing the course. Highly recommend taking some time to get up and try it. It's grown in nicely now as I have heard from some friends that played it a few years earlier it needed some time. At $61 for an 8:10am tee time it's a steal. Also was able to play 18 in 3:10.

I have been wondering this for sometime about the people on this threads bags. I completely redid mine this offseason (yet to be able to get a range session in with it) but it's been helping a ton on the course. Yardages are still a bit wonky but starting to get dialed in. Anyway, here is what I got:

New M5 Driver with Accra Tour Z TZ6 Shaft

Fairway Woods: Reshafted 3-5 Callaway XR16's with same Accra Shaft as the driver. Added 25 yards to both clubs even though the shaft is now 1.5-2" shorter than the stock.

Irons: Reshafted my Ping G30 Irons with Steelfiber i95 shafts. These have added 5-10 yards to each club. Still dialing but able to swing easier and hit further.

New Wedge Setup too. All TaylorMade. So Much Bite. They're awesome. I forgot how great new grooves are.
TM Gind 2.0 Chrome 48.9
TM Hi Toe 54.10
TM Hi Toe 58.10

Ping G2 Putter. Will be in my bag for a year until I can do the full Bettinardi fitting. Gotta dream.

Ball - just started playing the Snell MTB-X Yellow after being a Vice Pro guy for a few years. Snell are a bit longer off both tee and green but hold greens way more than the Vice.

So whatch ya all got in the bag yourself?
But I like to throw handfuls...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #232 on: July 24, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »
TaylorMade driver & 3-wood, rescue club
Ping irons
Cleveland wedges including a 60* "rusty"
Scotty Cameron putter
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #233 on: July 24, 2020, 02:04:41 PM »
Fitted Ping 410 Driver
Taylormade 15 deg 3 Wood
Taylormade Rescue Hybrid
Ping 410 irons
Cleveland wedges (46, 50, 54, and 60)
Odyssey white hot putter
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU11W

• Walk-On
« Reply #234 on: July 24, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
Callaway X-Hot Pro 3 Wood - 13.5 degrees
Taylormade R9 4 Wood - 17 degrees
Mizuno MP 15 3-PW
Nike Engage 50/55/60 - Looking to move these out of the bag before the year is over
Scotty Circa 62 Putter

I have a Taylormade M4 w/ Accra shaft that I put together last summer after being fit at Club Champion - But I can't keep any driver on the planet at the moment so it stays in the basement. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #235 on: July 24, 2020, 02:37:38 PM »
Cobra King F8 driver, 9.5 degrees
Taylor Made M3 3 wood
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 19 degree hybrid
Tour Edge HL3, 4 hybrid, and 5 iron-PW
Mizuno s18 wedges 50, 54, 58
RAM blade putter (Still gets the job done)

Winn Dry-Tac grips and Cut Blue golf balls

Also broke 90 today for the first time in my life with an 89. Was pretty darn pleased with myself.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #236 on: July 24, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
Cobra King F8 driver, 9.5 degrees
Taylor Made M3 3 wood
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 19 degree hybrid
Tour Edge HL3, 4 hybrid, and 5 iron-PW
Mizuno s18 wedges 50, 54, 58
RAM blade putter (Still gets the job done)

Winn Dry-Tac grips and Cut Blue golf balls

Also broke 90 today for the first time in my life with an 89. Was pretty darn pleased with myself.

Nicely done!  It’s great feeling breaking that threshold
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:52:29 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »
Cleveland HB Launcher 12*
Ping G15 3 wood
Callaway Razr X hybrid
Callaway X24 irons
Cleveland 54 and 60* wedges
Ping Anser putter

Looking to upgrade the fairway wood and irons after this season. The driver I got recently and it's the most forgiving one I've ever hit. Couldn't be happier with the wedges and putter.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2020, 06:07:51 PM »
Stoatin Brae is fun.  No trees in play.  Waist high grass if you are more than a few yards off the fairway.   Undulating greens.   Tough in the wind.    I was fortunate to play it on a calm day last fall when I was driving  it straight and chipping it well.

Srixon Z585 driver
Cobra F9 fairway and hybrids.
Wilson C200 irons. (5-GW)
Titleist Vokey SM7 wedges.  (52-56)
Bettinardi putter.

Oh, and if you enjoyed Stoatin Brae, look into The Loop at Forest Dunes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:12:00 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »
Ping G15 draw bias driver Reg shaft (new)
Ping G15 4W 17° Reg shaft (ebay)
Taylor Made Rescue Mid Hybrid 22° Stiff shaft (ebay)
Mizuno JPX825 4-GW 2° upright (new)
Titleist Vokey BV 56-11 sand wedge (ebay)
Square Strike 45° rescue chipper (new)
Odyssey Backstryke 2 ball putter (new)

Went from Winn thicker wrap grips to Lamkin rubber about 5 years ago and really happy I did. I hold the club very loosely so need tacky grips. I probably clean them once a month, more in hot sweaty hand weather.

Bought many used clubs on ebay and never had any issues with them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #240 on: July 27, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
Ping G15 draw bias driver Reg shaft (new)
Ping G15 4W 17° Reg shaft (ebay)
Taylor Made Rescue Mid Hybrid 22° Stiff shaft (ebay)
Mizuno JPX825 4-GW 2° upright (new)
Titleist Vokey BV 56-11 sand wedge (ebay)
Square Strike 45° rescue chipper (new)
Odyssey Backstryke 2 ball putter (new)

Went from Winn thicker wrap grips to Lamkin rubber about 5 years ago and really happy I did. I hold the club very loosely so need tacky grips. I probably clean them once a month, more in hot sweaty hand weather.

Bought many used clubs on ebay and never had any issues with them.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #241 on: July 28, 2020, 01:07:05 PM »

Bring on the club shaming! Some people have putting yips; some people have driver yips; I have chipping yips. Too many chunked chips that travel 3 feet or thinned chips screaming across the green. So far this thing is working out okay but the jury still out. I think it is saving me a couple of strokes a round based on my past so as long as that goes on it will stay in the bag. After all...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #242 on: July 28, 2020, 03:05:21 PM »
Pros will tell you that the 14 club limit should be ignored by most amateurs.    Like ketchup on a hot dog, if a chipper helps his game, use the damn chipper.       If it means that he hits it near a green and makes a par or bogey vs a double-triple bogey because of the chipping yips, then it is money well spent, even if (and especially if) the benefit is only in his head.     Because those 6 inches between the ears are the most important in the game.      If he believes he has the chipping yips, then he does.    If he thinks a chipper will help avoid the chipping yips, then it will.   

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #243 on: July 28, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »
Playing Lawsonia Links and Wold Rock(twice) next weekend in a mostly competitive outing, anyone have good insight to share? Also playing Mammoth Dunes but I'm well acquainted with that course.

Looking for any edge I can
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »
Pros will tell you that the 14 club limit should be ignored by most amateurs.    Like ketchup on a hot dog, if a chipper helps his game, use the damn chipper.       If it means that he hits it near a green and makes a par or bogey vs a double-triple bogey because of the chipping yips, then it is money well spent, even if (and especially if) the benefit is only in his head.     Because those 6 inches between the ears are the most important in the game.      If he believes he has the chipping yips, then he does.    If he thinks a chipper will help avoid the chipping yips, then it will.

I would say amateurs would benefit from far less clubs

tower912

• All American
« Reply #245 on: July 28, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
UBU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #246 on: July 28, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »

Tower
I‘ve never heard a pro tell anyone to ignore the rules of golf. Need a chipper? Fine. Pull the 52 degree wedge or some other club out of the bag when you add the chipper. If you play by yourself (no competitions, no money games, etc.) any “cheating” is between you and your scorecard, so no big deal. Roll ‘em everywhere while you’re at it. But if you have a “game” (even just an inter 4some Nassau) everyone should play by the same rules. Unless otherwise specified, those should be the “Rules of Golf”.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #247 on: July 28, 2020, 09:24:17 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to offer any golf assistance/recommendations/resources possible to some fellow MU fans.  I am a PGA Professional and Director of Instruction at a private club outside of Minneapolis. Feel free to reach out with any golf questions you have, I'm happy to help however I can!

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #248 on: July 29, 2020, 11:17:53 AM »
Hey guys, just wanted to offer any golf assistance/recommendations/resources possible to some fellow MU fans.  I am a PGA Professional and Director of Instruction at a private club outside of Minneapolis. Feel free to reach out with any golf questions you have, I'm happy to help however I can!
How can I hit a 3-iron?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
How can I hit a 3-iron?

Take it out of your bag
But I like to throw handfuls...