collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1087288 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2020, 09:12:21 PM »
as more "first hand" news and reports from guys like wags, goose and a few others here who do direct business with the asian areas, will we start seeing our most accurate reports.  watch the stock market tomorrow-that could also tell us a little more. 

as more accurate numbers of the cases come out and the #'s being verified via testing, the mortality rate will drop.  i am not by any means trying to minimize any death from this virus.  it seems as though it's following the usual story; the very young, very old and the immunocompromised who are most susceptible

zero deaths for kids under 10 world wide

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #526 on: March 08, 2020, 09:56:57 PM »
Indian Wells Tennis Tourney canceled for next week due to the Coronavirus.

For those that don't follow the sport, it's the biggest non grand slam/major professional tennis tournament on tour. Many of the players have been there practicing. Qualifying events were completed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #527 on: March 08, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »
zero deaths for kids under 10 world wide

From Italy, which is driving the majority of panic and fear globally right now...

https://twitter.com/dr_farrisd/status/1236779824296996871?s=21

Goose,
  Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear it. Let’s hope for some return to normalcy

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #528 on: March 08, 2020, 10:42:27 PM »
Indian Wells Tennis Tourney canceled for next week due to the Coronavirus.

For those that don't follow the sport, it's the biggest non grand slam/major professional tennis tournament on tour. Many of the players have been there practicing. Qualifying events were completed.

One step closer to canceling March Madness?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #530 on: March 09, 2020, 09:00:07 AM »
Just got off my weekly call.  (Delayed an hour since the rest of the world has not turned their clocks ahead yet.)

Nothing really to report.  Plant Manager said it's been quiet and everything is starting to return to business as usual in China.  One of their customers in China just reopened last week and is only slowly ramping up.  Said the local Zhongshan officials were coming in for a visit tomorrow to get an understanding of how the virus reaction has/is affecting business operations.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #531 on: March 09, 2020, 09:05:18 AM »
An elementary school child in Indianapolis suburb just diagnosed. School shutting down for 2 weeks. Parents were informed midday yesterday. That has to be absolutely brutal.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #532 on: March 09, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »
DC priest is confirmed with Covid-19, distributed communion over the last two weeks to at least 500 people.....I think we can probably close the book on containment.

Time to go find a Typhoid Mary/Marty to hang out with to get the contagion over and done with. Benny, you find a source for yourself yet?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #533 on: March 09, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
Is "containment" the actual goal any longer?  It seems like its more like "slowing the spread before the weather gets warm and hopefully slows down until fall."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #534 on: March 09, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
The one fortuitous thing about this is timing: the outbreak will ramp up just as flu season is ending. This should free up hospital beds for COVID-19.

Can you imagine if it was mid-November right now?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #535 on: March 09, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »
DC priest is confirmed with Covid-19, distributed communion over the last two weeks to at least 500 people.....I think we can probably close the book on containment.

Time to go find a Typhoid Mary/Marty to hang out with to get the contagion over and done with. Benny, you find a source for yourself yet?

Not good. Also old people disproportionally attend church.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #536 on: March 09, 2020, 10:30:35 AM »
Is "containment" the actual goal any longer?  It seems like its more like "slowing the spread before the weather gets warm and hopefully slows down until fall."

Yeah, about that, isn't Tehran, Iran pretty warm?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #537 on: March 09, 2020, 10:32:33 AM »
Confirmed case in Omaha, they think the patient brought it back from a trip to UK. The patient, prior to diagnosis, went for check ups a couple times, so exposure at the hospital or clinic, and also attended a Special Olympics event with 500 athletes. Positive cases from two family members. Area where the event took place is shutting down for a week. About 20 miles from where I live.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #538 on: March 09, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »
Not especially, but I get your point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #539 on: March 09, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
Yeah, about that, isn't Tehran, Iran pretty warm?

It's not a literal temperature thing, it's a cultural thing ie people get outside when its warm outside so the "concentration" of individuals in enclosed spaces is less.....that's why flu season is October to April typically because the conditions for spreading it is more concentrated.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #540 on: March 09, 2020, 11:01:53 AM »
It's not a literal temperature thing, it's a cultural thing ie people get outside when its warm outside so the "concentration" of individuals in enclosed spaces is less.....that's why flu season is October to April typically because the conditions for spreading it is more concentrated.

Today I learned...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #541 on: March 09, 2020, 11:12:17 AM »

Had no idea honestly.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #542 on: March 09, 2020, 11:22:16 AM »
Actually,  I read a story yesterday where warm temps coupled with higher humidity decrease the likelihood of spreading of any virus from individual to individual. So we go outside,  increase social distance, and degrade the environment all at once.

I sincerely feel for the elderly and immune compromised.  They are at risk for sure. The nasty thing about this is that we're going to get it, maybe not even know, and get better. Many more Americans that have been reported have likely already recovered. So it's a 'best practice gameplan' for most and for God's sake stop hoarding toilet paper. (Did you guys see that idiotic fight over TP yesterday?)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #543 on: March 09, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »
Yep, one of the reasons Valley Forge was so bad.....forced confinement + malnutrition + terrible hygiene (especially the New Jersey Line....not a joke) allowed disease to flourish. True of a lot of armies in winter camps.

Typically, you don't catch a virus or bacteria with a single exposure (something movies really get wrong) but from continuous exposure. As an example, if you walked through a subway car that an idiot traveled in with Covid, but you don't stay in it, you are a lot less likely to catch the virus than you would if you sat in the car for a 50 minute commute or something. So when the weather heats up and we spend less time breathing the same air our exposure time is less and the diseases tend to spread a lot less easily. You can still get the normal flu in the summer, it's just a lot less likely to transmit to others.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #544 on: March 09, 2020, 11:32:29 AM »
The moral of the story. Take your kids and grandkids outside and play with the dog. And get dirty while you do it. It'll remind you to wash up when you come inside.

The added benefit: you don't have to watch #mubb.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #545 on: March 09, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »
Actually,  I read a story yesterday where warm temps coupled with higher humidity decrease the likelihood of spreading of any virus from individual to individual. So we go outside,  increase social distance, and degrade the environment all at once.

I sincerely feel for the elderly and immune compromised.  They are at risk for sure. The nasty thing about this is that we're going to get it, maybe not even know, and get better. Many more Americans that have been reported have likely already recovered. So it's a 'best practice gameplan' for most and for God's sake stop hoarding toilet paper. (Did you guys see that idiotic fight over TP yesterday?)

Glow, this is it absolutely. I am not worried about myself or my wife. I am not worried about my infant, as they also seem to be spared from the worst impact (flu seems to be a much bigger threat to babies).

I am a bit concerned about my 90 year old grandmother in a nursing home.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #546 on: March 09, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »

So it's a 'best practice gameplan' for most and for God's sake stop hoarding toilet paper. (Did you guys see that idiotic fight over TP yesterday?)

What's with the TP hoarding anyway?  Is it because people think that there's a likelihood of self quarantine and you won't get to the store to purchase TP?  Because I don't see anything in the stated symptoms that would increase the need to use TP, like diarrhea. 
Ludum habemus.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #547 on: March 09, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
Is the Coronavirus the wish fullfillment of the OK, Boomer sentiment? Kind of line when it turned out $hit was a literal cursed word on South Park

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #548 on: March 09, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
What's with the TP hoarding anyway?  Is it because people think that there's a likelihood of self quarantine and you won't get to the store to purchase TP?  Because I don't see anything in the stated symptoms that would increase the need to use TP, like diarrhea.

Cause regardless of the actual nature of the virus and its pending effect on the US, we're reached near peak irrational fear.  People hear "sickness" and "shortage" and start grabbing stuff like TP and hoarding.  Paper products aren't being made in China, so its not like there is a coming shortage due to the supply chain issues.  People are just being idiots cause they think everyone is going to be infected and you will be confined to your home for weeks.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #549 on: March 09, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »
Semi-sarcastic theory.....how surprised would you be if this whole Covid-19 was a Yale sociology thought experiment gone awry. Like it's all a social experiment on herd mentality and the fatalistic state of global media? I'd be around like 10% surprised at this point.