[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085922 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »
Trump administration asks for at least $2.5 billion to fight Coronavirus

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/484441-white-house-asking-congress-for-25-billion-to-fight-coronavirus

Hmmm maybe we shouldn't have slashed NIH to begin with?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2020, 04:00:31 PM »
BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk
U.S. CDC: "We're asking folks in every sector, as well as people within their families, to start planning for this, because as we've seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it hit in those countries, it has moved quite rapidly"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »
The real tipping point in the US will be when people are told to stay home from work and school... and they have nothing, and are still living paycheck to paycheck...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2020, 05:21:29 PM »
What really bugs me about all this is that this "being on the precipice of the early stages of the verge of panic" seems completely unnecessary.

Then again, even if CBP/CDC had acted proactively a month ago (when I first asked the question), would the situation be any better?

Nevertheless, all of this seems like it's now becoming a media darling, which means more sensationalism and fewer facts.  For one, initially I had feared transmission by the asymptomatic, which I was led to believe was synonymous with "pre-symptomatic."  Is this actually the case, or are there people who could be infected that will never develop symptoms (i.e. their immune system will be sufficient on its own)?  Unfortunately, it's hard to ascertain with the media and gov't so focused on ratings and campaigns.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2020, 05:40:22 PM »
So ConEx in Vegas is coming up. Largest North American convention. Thinking maybe I shouldn’t go now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2020, 05:48:10 PM »
My mom's a nurse injector in Scottsdale and has been put on back order for their next order of masks for the OR. Just saying the panic is hitting

Edit: at the grocery store now and there is a ton of rows of can goods gone. People even stocking up like it's Y2K
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:03:50 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2020, 05:53:32 PM »
So ConEx in Vegas is coming up. Largest North American convention. Thinking maybe I shouldn’t go now.

This is what I'm curious about for people on here, has anyone changed their travel plans or altered any plans based on the potential of the virus hitting the US?

Obviously if you were one who regularly had to go to China, that would of course be different.

Is anyone loading up on non perishables at this point? Anyone cancelled spring break plans? I travel for work pretty regularly, and have to admit I don't actively think about it. The number of people in airports I see wearing masks is up probably twentyfold.

I honestly come to this thread for info on the outbreak, the knowledge base here seems to be much more trustworthy to me than any other outlets.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »
MUDish

My travel, and my clients, is focused on Asia and our clients are on complete holding pattern. A large client was to be exhibiting at a large trade show in Germany next week and they were told today that show was cancelled until next February. This came roughy 7-10 days prior to show opening day.

I have traveled domestically and would travel to Asia if needed and able to do so. That said, my livelihood is largely based off of doing things other smarter people prefer not to do.

IMO, this is not a media frenzied event. While I know little about the science nature of the virus, I have never experienced this type of response to an event in my career. Stated weeks ago that China brass ever had the greatest overreaction ever or there is more to the story.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »
MUDish

My travel, and my clients, is focused on Asia and our clients are on complete holding pattern. A large client was to be exhibiting at a large trade show in Germany next week and they were told today that show was cancelled until next February. This came roughy 7-10 days prior to show opening day.

I have traveled domestically and would travel to Asia if needed and able to do so. That said, my livelihood is largely based off of doing things other smarter people prefer not to do.

IMO, this is not a media frenzied event. While I know little about the science nature of the virus, I have never experienced this type of response to an event in my career. Stated weeks ago that China brass ever had the greatest overreaction ever or there is more to the story.

I'm going to a trade show in Germany Mar 30 - Apr 4.  20 pavilions including two that are the China Pavilion.  We were discussing if the show would continue or be cancelled.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2020, 06:59:39 PM »
My mom's a nurse injector in Scottsdale and has been put on back order for their next order of masks for the OR. Just saying the panic is hitting

Edit: at the grocery store now and there is a ton of rows of van goods gone. People even stocking up like it's Y2K

i instructed my office to stock up on masks 2-3 weeks ago. i thought i was being proactive and the smartest kid on the block...i hope we got enough!! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »
i instructed my office to stock up on masks 2-3 weeks ago. i thought i was being proactive and the smartest kid on the block...i hope we got enough!! 

N95?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2020, 07:02:52 PM »
Hards

The only mask.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »
Hards

The only mask.

I know you guys are pros, but the rest of the public will just buy whatever they see... or probably whatever is left.

It was a silly question  :P

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2020, 07:06:44 PM »
What really bugs me about all this is that this "being on the precipice of the early stages of the verge of panic" seems completely unnecessary.

Then again, even if CBP/CDC had acted proactively a month ago (when I first asked the question), would the situation be any better?

Nevertheless, all of this seems like it's now becoming a media darling, which means more sensationalism and fewer facts.  For one, initially I had feared transmission by the asymptomatic, which I was led to believe was synonymous with "pre-symptomatic."  Is this actually the case, or are there people who could be infected that will never develop symptoms (i.e. their immune system will be sufficient on its own)?  Unfortunately, it's hard to ascertain with the media and gov't so focused on ratings and campaigns.

i think you may be referring to a "carrier"  i.e. one can have hepatitis c without any signs/symptoms and still have the virus.  my understanding of the coronavirus is that if you have it, it starts out with a mild fever and/or cold-like symptoms. 

right now, it has been fatal for 2% of those coming down with it.  i have not heard, but i'm assuming it is most problematic with the very young, very old and those with compromised immune systems

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2020, 07:11:11 PM »
I’m traveling in Fargo. Do I need to be worried?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »
I’m traveling in Fargo. Do I need to be worried?
Stay away from wood chippers and you’ll be fine.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »

Since the real danger is exposing 15,000 people in a stadium .. you could eliminate that, and just have the games played in front of empty stadiums.   Billions on the line, might as well play the games.

Now .. schools on the other hand .. they would need to close.

.. In the end, I think the virus goes global and quarantines will be pointless. 

Not that I know anything, but my two kids were streptococcus carriers and infected my wife 6 times w/strep throat before we figured it out.  Kids were healthy as could be .. they just carried it and infected her and probably others until we treated them. 

There are asymptomatic COVID-19 carriers:

https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-confirmed-patients-can-transmit-the-coronavirus-without-showing-symptoms

They will not play it in empty stadiums.  Just the two teams and the broadcast crews are still hundreds of people.  That's too many.

And, if they "insist" on playing it and players (or TV crews) get sick, the NCAA is tied up in court paying out its billions in damages.

So, all or none.  It either goes off as planned or completely canceled.  No half-way.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:14 PM »
i think you may be referring to a "carrier"  i.e. one can have hepatitis c without any signs/symptoms and still have the virus.  my understanding of the coronavirus is that if you have it, it starts out with a mild fever and/or cold-like symptoms. 

right now, it has been fatal for 2% of those coming down with it.  i have not heard, but i'm assuming it is most problematic with the very young, very old and those with compromised immune systems

Depends if you believe the Chinese.  I don't.  Look what this thing does to countries like Iran without the resources that China can throw at it. 

I have also heard that asymptomatic carriers are likely.  That is part of what is making this very hard to slow down.  They can't find patient zero in Italy.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2020, 12:05:49 AM »
Stay away from wood chippers and you’ll be fine.

Post of the decade.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »
Post of the decade.

Real good, Margie.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »
Vigilance is obviously necessary, but I'm going to go on record as saying we will look back in 5 years on the Covid-19 virus hub bub as overblown and closer to SARs or Asian Birdflu than some global death pandemic.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
Vigilance is obviously necessary, but I'm going to go on record as saying we will look back in 5 years on the Covid-19 virus hub bub as overblown and closer to SARs or Asian Birdflu than some global death pandemic.

This.

Maybe just living in central Indiana gives a different perspective, but I see no indications of panic or chaos (empty shelves at the grocery).

Also, I rarely watch TV news, so that may have something to do with it as well.

Please note this is different than economic concerns with Chinese factories being closed.

At the time, the Ebola panic seemed way worse than what Corona is doing.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »

After reading that Atlantic article I'm starting to lean this way.
I get the sense because this is "new", not being a flu virus but with similar symptoms, and not being flu means there are plenty of unknowns that everyone is assuming the worst. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »
Found this website to have interesting data:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

81% of the cases (reported) are classified as "mild".  14% are 'severe' (developing severe diseases including pneumonia and shortness of breath.)   2% fatal.

If you don't have heart disease, diabetes, respiratory issues, hypertension or cancer .. the fatality rate is .9%.    That's further lower if you're under the age of 70.