[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1102475 times)

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7900 on: August 07, 2020, 06:06:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53665008

Asymptomatic people have the same virus load as symptomatic ones.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7901 on: August 07, 2020, 07:43:44 PM »

As long as we don't have to pretend to care when they die, I'm OK with this.

I'm sure all those old, overweight Harley guys have nothing to worry about anyway.

I'm told many dentists own Harley's and love going to Sturgis.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7902 on: August 07, 2020, 09:00:16 PM »
So, once again, minorities and the poor will get a sharp stick in the eye.

CEO of Moderna called the price a “Gift”.....in related news, the CEO of Moderna cashed in 72,000 shares for $5 million this past month.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7903 on: August 08, 2020, 08:22:57 AM »
I thought this was good as it at speaks of the goal and the big idea (if do this, we can do this).  While specifics are thin, it was refreshing to read something along these lines.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1286457920301416

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7904 on: August 08, 2020, 08:29:57 AM »

It’s a sector of society that could use a good washing anyway.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7905 on: August 08, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »

Hopefully they skipped this year... there should be plenty of used Harleys available in the next couple of months.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7906 on: August 08, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »

As long as we don't have to pretend to care when they die, I'm OK with this.

I'm sure all those old, overweight Harley guys have nothing to worry about anyway.
If they kept it to themselves, sure. But they are going to get back on their bikes and spread it far and wide.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7907 on: August 08, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »
If they kept it to themselves, sure. But they are going to get back on their bikes and spread it far and wide.

Yes. The fact that they don't care a bit who they spread it to is why I don't care what happens to them. I have great sympathy for those they will infect. There are 10s of millions of people like this - doesn't bode well for the fall.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7908 on: August 08, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/mattscalici/status/1292165258992332800?s=21

“We are now entering the phase of this discourse where the people who turned out to be horrifically, embarrassingly wrong now claim that the people who were right all along saying “I told you so” are the REAL problem.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7911 on: August 09, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
Department update:. Of the 40 in quarantine, 36 tested negative and have returned to work.  3 are still awaiting for results.  1 yesterday positive, bringing our total to 8. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7912 on: August 09, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
Department update:. Of the 40 in quarantine, 36 tested negative and have returned to work.  3 are still awaiting for results.  1 yesterday positive, bringing our total to 8. 

Seems quick with an incubation period of 5-14 days. Not like you can keep everyone on those crazy long shifts, though, just to be super sure. Glad most the guys are alright so far.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7913 on: August 11, 2020, 07:54:23 AM »
"Children Can Get Severe COVID-19, CDC Says — Especially Black And Hispanic Children"

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/08/900494834/children-can-get-severe-covid-19-cdc-says-especially-black-and-hispanic-children?utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr

Yep. From the NYT:

In the last two weeks of July, nearly 100,000 children in the United States tested positive for the coronavirus, according to data from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children’s Hospital Association.

The speed and the scale of the infections — dozens of countries have not yet recorded 100,000 cases in total — further complicate the already daunting issue of reopening schools. In Georgia, Indiana and other states, some schools that reopened have already closed down again after new outbreaks emerged.

Recent research suggests that children can carry at least as much of the virus in their noses and throats as adults do, even if they have only mild or moderate symptoms. That has prompted fears that students who become ill at school may spread the virus to their older relatives.

But it’s not just older people who are at risk — in some rare cases, a child’s health can be severely affected. Nearly 600 young people in the U.S., from infants to 20 year olds, have developed an inflammatory syndrome linked to Covid-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Most of the children required intensive care.

“I fear that there has been this sense that kids just won’t get infected or don’t get infected in the same way as adults and that, therefore, they’re almost like a bubbled population,” Michael Osterholm, an infectious diseases expert at the University of Minnesota, told The Times in July.

“There will be transmission,” he said. “What we have to do is accept that now and include that in our plans.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7914 on: August 11, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »
Idaho: The perfect home for chicos…

Idaho Lawmaker: "Listening To Experts Is An Elitist Approach" To Coronavirus Restrictions
https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/post/idaho-lawmaker-listening-experts-elitist-approach-coronavirus-restrictions#stream/0

"Sen. Steven Thayn (R-Emmett) was among those who supported the measure. “We’re letting a few fearful people control the lives of those of us who are not fearful,” Thayn said.

“Listening to experts to set policy is an elitist approach and I’m very fearful of an elitist approach,” he said. “I’m also fearful that it leads to totalitarianism, especially when you say, ‘Well. We’re doing it for the public good.’

A handful of legislators pushed back against the proposal – mostly Democrats.

“This isn’t sacrificing individual liberty,” said Rep. Steve Berch (D-West Boise). “This is balancing the governance process with protecting the larger community."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7915 on: August 11, 2020, 01:41:10 PM »

Idaho Lawmaker: "Listening To Experts Is An Elitist Approach" To Coronavirus Restrictions
https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/post/idaho-lawmaker-listening-experts-elitist-approach-coronavirus-restrictions#stream/0

"Sen. Steven Thayn (R-Emmett) was among those who supported the measure. “We’re letting a few fearful people control the lives of those of us who are not fearful,” Thayn said.

“Listening to experts to set policy is an elitist approach and I’m very fearful of an elitist approach,” he said. “I’m also fearful that it leads to totalitarianism, especially when you say, ‘Well. We’re doing it for the public good.’

“This isn’t sacrificing individual liberty,” said Rep. Steve Berch (D-West Boise). “This is balancing the governance process with protecting the larger community."

I find it ironic that the far right fears 'elitists,' given that their leader once called the White House "a real dump."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/08/01/trump-thinks-white-house-real-dump/531212001/

I sense a disconnect from reality....

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7916 on: August 11, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »

And, republicans wonder why we think they are illiterate fools who don't believe in science. They've become so desperate that they are starting to say these crazy things in public out loud, rather than just when they are "brain"storming together.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7917 on: August 11, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »

My crazy Great Uncle who splits time between Southern California, Arizona and a summer in a cabin in Emmett, Idaho.  It's a real place.
Yes, he is a RWNJ.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7918 on: August 13, 2020, 12:06:53 PM »
 No real way to do this but I found it as an interesting read to compare and contrast the factors for 1918 and 2020 NYC pandemics. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/13/health/coronavirus-flu-new-york.html

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7919 on: August 13, 2020, 03:32:41 PM »
Dr. Fauci on U.S. coronavirus outbreak: ‘I’m not pleased with how things are going’

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/dr-fauci-on-us-coronavirus-outbreak-im-not-pleased-with-how-things-are-going.html

“We certainly are not where I hope we would be, we are in the middle of very serious historic pandemic,” he added.

The U.S. has the worst outbreak in the world with more than 5 million infections and at least 166,000 deaths as of Thursday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. On Wednesday, the U.S. recorded more than 1,500 deaths caused by Covid-19, marking the deadliest day for the country since the end of May.

Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has previously warned about a potential increase in Covid-19 cases brewing in states like Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana, which have reported an uptick in the so-called positivity rate, or the percentage of tests that are positive.

------------------

It appears that we are on the cusp of another increase in the midsection of the country....

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7920 on: August 13, 2020, 05:56:55 PM »
Dr. Fauci on U.S. coronavirus outbreak: ‘I’m not pleased with how things are going’

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/dr-fauci-on-us-coronavirus-outbreak-im-not-pleased-with-how-things-are-going.html

“We certainly are not where I hope we would be, we are in the middle of very serious historic pandemic,” he added.

The U.S. has the worst outbreak in the world with more than 5 million infections and at least 166,000 deaths as of Thursday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. On Wednesday, the U.S. recorded more than 1,500 deaths caused by Covid-19, marking the deadliest day for the country since the end of May.

Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has previously warned about a potential increase in Covid-19 cases brewing in states like Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana, which have reported an uptick in the so-called positivity rate, or the percentage of tests that are positive.

------------------

It appears that we are on the cusp of another increase in the midsection of the country....

This is why trump has nothing to do with Fauci anymore. His imbecile son-in-law knows way more about pandemics.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7921 on: August 13, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
Luckily, we are testing way less, so cases should drop.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7922 on: August 14, 2020, 05:59:11 AM »
Luckily, we are testing way less, so cases should drop.

Yesterday was a record number of tests completed, quit making crap up.

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7923 on: August 14, 2020, 06:20:05 AM »
Yep. From the NYT:

In the last two weeks of July, nearly 100,000 children in the United States tested positive for the coronavirus, according to data from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children’s Hospital Association.

The speed and the scale of the infections — dozens of countries have not yet recorded 100,000 cases in total — further complicate the already daunting issue of reopening schools. In Georgia, Indiana and other states, some schools that reopened have already closed down again after new outbreaks emerged.

Recent research suggests that children can carry at least as much of the virus in their noses and throats as adults do, even if they have only mild or moderate symptoms. That has prompted fears that students who become ill at school may spread the virus to their older relatives.

But it’s not just older people who are at risk — in some rare cases, a child’s health can be severely affected. Nearly 600 young people in the U.S., from infants to 20 year olds, have developed an inflammatory syndrome linked to Covid-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Most of the children required intensive care.

“I fear that there has been this sense that kids just won’t get infected or don’t get infected in the same way as adults and that, therefore, they’re almost like a bubbled population,” Michael Osterholm, an infectious diseases expert at the University of Minnesota, told The Times in July.

“There will be transmission,” he said. “What we have to do is accept that now and include that in our plans.”

You know what else kids can do and are thinking about doing at a much larger rate. 

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/08/13/cdc-mental-health-pandemic-394832?__twitter_impression=true

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7924 on: August 14, 2020, 06:53:09 AM »
Being forced back to schools in the midst of a pandemic, suicide.    End result is the same.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback