[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1106036 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7125 on: July 08, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »
No way!

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa that drew thousands of people in late June, along with large protests that accompanied it, “likely contributed” to a dramatic surge in new coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday.
Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day record high, and another 206 cases on Tuesday.

https://apnews.com/ad96548245e186382225818d8dc416eb

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7126 on: July 08, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
And the totals from the county official  in that article would only account for cases in Tulsa County. The article states that the statewide count went up as well.
But go ahead, have a big convention in Jacksonville.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7127 on: July 08, 2020, 05:56:56 PM »
Trump administration begins formal withdrawal from World Health Organization

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/politics/us-withdrawing-world-trade-organization/index.html

Congress received notification that POTUS officially withdrew the U.S. from the ⁦‪@WHO⁩in the midst of a pandemic.

Even though this is a petulant whiny move from the POTUS, that isn’t allowed in the swift way he thinks it is, the WHO has shown itself to be a joke at best during most of this, and corrupt at worst. They are as willing and able to be “flexible” and bought and paid for as FIFA or the IOC

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7128 on: July 08, 2020, 06:42:52 PM »
Even though this is a petulant whiny move from the POTUS, that isn’t allowed in the swift way he thinks it is, the WHO has shown itself to be a joke at best during most of this, and corrupt at worst. They are as willing and able to be “flexible” and bought and paid for as FIFA or the IOC

The WHO was too definitive and didn’t get enough first hand access Early.  Second they Remain poor at communication (To regular people not to doctors).

However, It’s also the agency that coordinates flu vaccines globally, can get access to countries/regions that our doctors/govt can’t and is responsible for stopping epidemics.  It also has access to more information than we do. 

It’s in our best interest for our citizens to stay. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7129 on: July 08, 2020, 06:45:29 PM »
One more thing Wags and I will stop my rant.  We know so much more about the virus today than early on and we are still not reacting/responding to what healthcare professionals are recommending. 

Had the WHO given us perfect info on day one, what would we be doing differently today?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:52:33 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7132 on: July 08, 2020, 07:24:38 PM »

That is truly mind-boggling, but not the least bit surprising.

Hopefully, schools will have the common sense to listen to what the scientists are really saying - using guidance already released, and whatever comes out in the scientific literature in the coming weeks - and disregard whatever watered down nonsense Pence comes up with.

If Redfield had a shred of self-respect, he would step down before putting forth a plan he knows won't be strong enough.

CDC guidelines for schools won’t be worth the paper it is written on. They will bear the CDC name, but they will be written by the White House.

Yes, if Redfield had any dignity, he would resign. But he is a Trump hack who could give 2 sh!ts about integrity or truth.

I remember when the CDC was the gold standard. The mad king put an end to that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7133 on: July 08, 2020, 11:04:35 PM »
UW@Madison athletes test positive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1281073357123923971

The University of Wisconsin athletic department has announced that more student-athletes have tested positive for Covid-19 since the school’s initial round of testing a month ago

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #7134 on: July 08, 2020, 11:19:39 PM »
UW@Madison athletes test positive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1281073357123923971

The University of Wisconsin athletic department has announced that more student-athletes have tested positive for Covid-19 since the school’s initial round of testing a month ago

Same at UNC.

This week is starting to feel ominously like the week Tom Hanks caught COVID & the BET got canceled midway through.

Next shoe to drop that sends shockwaves?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7135 on: July 08, 2020, 11:46:56 PM »
Same at UNC.

This week is starting to feel ominously like the week Tom Hanks caught COVID & the BET got canceled midway through.

Next shoe to drop that sends shockwaves?

And this is BEFORE most students are on campus. If we get unlucky enough to have a bad flu season. all bets are off for America;s future.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7136 on: July 08, 2020, 11:54:23 PM »
One more thing Wags and I will stop my rant.  We know so much more about the virus today than early on and we are still not reacting/responding to what healthcare professionals are recommending. 

Had the WHO given us perfect info on day one, what would we be doing differently today?

I think the WHO being problematic/corrupt/lacking in many ways and the US bumbling through their own response can be mutually exclusive.  I had my issues with the WHO and what they did/say well before it was apparent that the US was going about this inefficiently and inconsistently

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7137 on: July 09, 2020, 09:15:27 AM »
PMT with a great point that if we get any sports back this year the NHL is the hope. They're playing in Canada who has actually treated covid as something that is actually happening as a country so maybe they actually get to play. Maybe Toronto as the defending champ should get to host the NBA "bubble." Send college sports north until a vaccine comes around. I’d say maybe move them to Europe but they’re not even welcoming people from the USA so that’s not an option.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #7138 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »
Rewind back to March 11 when Rudy Gobert tested positive for Covid.  2 days prior when most would say he was most contagious, he played 32 minutes against the Raptors.  I only recall 1 person getting covid from this one event in which he was in direct physical contact for several hours.

Not saying covid is a joke it is real and nothing to be taken lightly.  All I am saying is with leagues moving to start up and all the testing and precautions in place, I am optimistic they can restart and complete their respective season.
Sure the athletes will need to make sacrifices not seeing some loved ones or going out to the club but are those not the same sacrifices the majority of the country is also making

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7139 on: July 09, 2020, 09:51:46 AM »
Rewind back to March 11 when Rudy Gobert tested positive for Covid.  2 days prior when most would say he was most contagious, he played 32 minutes against the Raptors.  I only recall 1 person getting covid from this one event in which he was in direct physical contact for several hours.

Not saying covid is a joke it is real and nothing to be taken lightly.  All I am saying is with leagues moving to start up and all the testing and precautions in place, I am optimistic they can restart and complete their respective season.
Sure the athletes will need to make sacrifices not seeing some loved ones or going out to the club but are those not the same sacrifices the majority of the country is also making

We’ll see. What’s happening with college football programs who aren’t even doing organized team activities isn’t exactly promising to me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #7140 on: July 09, 2020, 10:19:54 AM »
We’ll see. What’s happening with college football programs who aren’t even doing organized team activities isn’t exactly promising to me.

i know and i think that is a case of 18-23 years olds being reckless and thinking they are superman and nothing can stop them.  I am less optimistic about fall collge sports cause of the lack of control of the surroundings while on a college campus.  Then i think if dorm life is going to go on what is the difference with having sports

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7141 on: July 09, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
Pretty startling graphic on changes in COVID cases since reopening. The article also provides number to demonstrate the fallacy of the notion that increased testing is driving the surge in states where cases are on the rise.

How Coronavirus Cases Have Risen Since States Reopened

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/09/us/coronavirus-cases-reopening-trends.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

--------------

Bottom line: the shutdown could have worked if we had hung in a little longer, to actually contain the spread. States that reopened early are suffering, and states that exercised a bit more patience are gradually improving. California is a notable outlier, for possible reasons discussed in the article.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7142 on: July 09, 2020, 09:38:29 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/us/california-coronavirus-imperial-county/index.html

Right now COVID is devastating poor and minority communities. Hospitals beyond capacity, and death rates climbing in these areas.

One has to wonder if the responses, outcries, and policies would have changed already if this was happening in the wealthiest communities instead.

I hate to say it, but Fauci is right, it is probably time to shut things back down in some areas.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7143 on: July 09, 2020, 09:42:06 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/us/california-coronavirus-imperial-county/index.html

Right now COVID is devastating poor and minority communities. Hospitals beyond capacity, and death rates climbing in these areas.

One has to wonder if the responses, outcries, and policies would have changed already if this was happening in the wealthiest communities instead.

I hate to say it, but Fauci is right, it is probably time to shut things back down in some areas.

But, who could have predicted such a scenario!?!?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7144 on: July 09, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »

Regrettably, yes it probably is time. AZ, FL, parts of TX and maybe CA. We probably could have avoided getting back to this point if governors had waited a little longer before reopening OR they had taken the reopening process a little more slowly OR they implemented and enforced social distancing and mask policies. So many ways to make this salvageable, and officials in many places have missed every time.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7145 on: July 10, 2020, 07:02:52 AM »
I think dr gottlieb has it right here.   Which doesn’t bode well for navigating the fall. 

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1281547240146952193?s=21

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7146 on: July 10, 2020, 07:12:37 AM »
I think dr gottlieb has it right here.   Which doesn’t bode well for navigating the fall. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

If 3 of the top 8 states in regards to positive cases per million are his examples of states who tried to cruuuussshhhh the virus.  They failed miserably at doing so.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7147 on: July 10, 2020, 07:18:42 AM »
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

If 3 of the top 8 states in regards to positive cases per million are his examples of states who tried to cruuuussshhhh the virus.  They failed miserably at doing so.

I dont think you understand this concept.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7148 on: July 10, 2020, 07:24:22 AM »

And even worse 3 of the top 4 states for Covid death rate per million residents is NY, CT, and MA. 

Usually I think Gottlieb is pretty good with his analysis but if those 3 states are the examples of what it looks like when you try to crush the virus we better go back to the drawing board.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7149 on: July 10, 2020, 07:27:31 AM »
And even worse 3 of the top 4 states for Covid death rate per million residents is NY, CT, and MA. 

Usually I think Gottlieb is pretty good with his analysis but if those 3 states are the examples of what it looks like when you try to crush the virus we better go back to the drawing board.

Again - you are talking about something completely different.  Outbreaks happen, he is speaking to control & management once that occurs.