[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1107167 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7000 on: June 30, 2020, 07:21:25 PM »
Exactly.  I'm certainly not rooting against us, especially because it is financially disastrous on a personal level. 

I'm not sure JWags gets outside the city much.  I have in-laws who still won't take this seriously.  So when it gets to the rural places (and it will with the way that bars are currently operating) we will see more people from those communities getting sick.

Not sure why you need to continually make snide generalizations about anyone who doesn’t agree with you and surely chalk it up to ignorance, naivety, or some agenda. I’m not in a city and haven’t been in an urban area since I came back to WI from NYC a month ago.

I have relatives all over Wisconsin, my sister is in Dallas and has spent her last 2 weeks in Texarakana with her BF’s family. My other sister is with her BF in central NJ. I have good friends I talk to about this in middle of nowhere Ohio, Florida, Denver, not to mention my associates abroad.  It’s not some head in the sand Pollyanna perspective.

You read trends and development one way, I read it another. I’m willing to bet full shutdowns don’t happen in places where things are steady. Which is what you called for before adjusting to bars and restaurants. But if you want to make cracks about me being a sheltered urbanite, go for it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7001 on: June 30, 2020, 08:02:53 PM »
Not sure why you need to continually make snide generalizations about anyone who doesn’t agree with you and surely chalk it up to ignorance, naivety, or some agenda. I’m not in a city and haven’t been in an urban area since I came back to WI from NYC a month ago.

I have relatives all over Wisconsin, my sister is in Dallas and has spent her last 2 weeks in Texarakana with her BF’s family. My other sister is with her BF in central NJ. I have good friends I talk to about this in middle of nowhere Ohio, Florida, Denver, not to mention my associates abroad.  It’s not some head in the sand Pollyanna perspective.

You read trends and development one way, I read it another. I’m willing to bet full shutdowns don’t happen in places where things are steady. Which is what you called for before adjusting to bars and restaurants. But if you want to make cracks about me being a sheltered urbanite, go for it.

It was an honest statement.  You said you were locked down in NYC for a long period of time.  How often do you get to the sticks?  And it was equally as snide as calling me 'hysterical''.  Quitcha Bitchin.

I never said full shutdowns were going to happen, so toss that in the trash.  I said we are headed to the same restrictions here in WI that AZ, FL, etc are doing.

You gotta calm down, man.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:04:42 PM by Hards_Alumni »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7002 on: June 30, 2020, 08:46:56 PM »
Unfortunately, the casual attitude toward masks is not limited to rural areas or ‘uneducated’ towns.

I live in the shadow of the Mayo Clinic, in a town full of doctors, nurses, researchers, therapists of all kinds, and other educated professionals. Still, I go to the grocery store with my mask, and half the customers are wandering around without them. I understand that many of the people I see may not be healthcare professionals, but they live in a town where they ought to know better.

It really can be disheartening.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7003 on: June 30, 2020, 10:36:45 PM »
Very disheartening and it doesn’t portend well for the future.

Very few stores here in SE Wisconsin require masks. And a decent percent of people aren’t wearing them.

I can’t really comment on restaurants as I do not go to any.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7004 on: July 01, 2020, 07:22:57 AM »
If you aren't wearing a mask.   If you are going to packed bars.   You are part of the problem.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7005 on: July 01, 2020, 07:46:48 AM »
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/southern-illinois-couple-files-suit-against-idph-board-of-education-over-mask-requirements/2298057/

And then you have idiots like these parents, who think schools should just ignore the coronavirus totally.....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7006 on: July 01, 2020, 07:54:07 AM »
Very few stores here in SE Wisconsin require masks. And a decent percent of people aren’t wearing them.

I can’t really comment on restaurants as I do not go to any.

Just a comment on that .. we spent last week in Door County.   All businesses were prepared/masked/plexiglassed.  All restaurants were pickup and if the could invent outdoor seating, they did. 

The first time I went to the grocery, 99% of customers had masks.  We ate outdoors only, and only went into one shop.   The resort closed the indoor pool, the outdoor pool was limited to 7 people which was crazy low but kept the real number to about 10, all spread.

There were two moments where idiots crowded around us closely (outdoors).. but for the most part, we felt pretty safe and found it possible to go about our lives with slight changes to keep our risk low.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7007 on: July 01, 2020, 08:17:15 AM »
Just a comment on that .. we spent last week in Door County.   All businesses were prepared/masked/plexiglassed.  All restaurants were pickup and if the could invent outdoor seating, they did. 

The first time I went to the grocery, 99% of customers had masks.  We ate outdoors only, and only went into one shop.   The resort closed the indoor pool, the outdoor pool was limited to 7 people which was crazy low but kept the real number to about 10, all spread.

There were two moments where idiots crowded around us closely (outdoors).. but for the most part, we felt pretty safe and found it possible to go about our lives with slight changes to keep our risk low.

Glad to hear that not every summer resort has turned into 'humans gone stupid' amid the pandemic. It has been years, but I have many fond memories of Door County from when my daughters were young.

Just curious - overall, how busy did it seem compared to a typical summer?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7008 on: July 01, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »

Just curious - overall, how busy did it seem compared to a typical summer?

It's tough to estimate .. each week in DC is different.  Our guess was that the roads, shops, restaurants .. were ~20% less crowded.    But .. it's very possible the same volume of people were there, but they were spread out, in parks, in their rooms, not on main street(s). 

Tourism is down everywhere, but DC will likely be better off than most areas.  It's close by and has lots of outdoor things, so an easy audible for travellers.  No doubt, some bars/restaurants will be hit, especially the ones that just don't have outdoor seating // or if weather isn't dry for the others.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7009 on: July 01, 2020, 09:32:34 AM »

I'll echo that DC has been taking this very seriously since at least Memorial day when we were up there.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #7010 on: July 01, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
I'll echo that DC has been taking this very seriously since at least Memorial day when we were up there.

Outside the Dells, it feels like Northern Wisconsin has taken this seriously?  I would hope so because it’s possible a summer shutdown would be catastrophic for these communities.  My folks went to Mercer this past week and made a stop at Nueske’s in Wittenberg and they only allowed one family member in the store and only if masked.  When I stopped at Sand Valley last weekend, all employees were masked, down to the caddy staff. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7012 on: July 01, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/no-thank-you-dr-fauci-lt-gov-patrick-says-he-wont-listen-to-nations-top-covid-19-expert/

Yeah I mean this is what their new strategy is right?  Blame Fauci.  Blame China.  Blame...whoever.  Just don't blame the guy in charge.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7013 on: July 01, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
Yeah I mean this is what their new strategy is right?  Blame Fauci.  Blame China.  Blame...whoever.  Just don't blame the guy in charge.

Blaming, denying, ignoring or openly defying the experts. An unfortunate 'new normal' for many.

Attitudes like that make me fear that we will be the last country in the developed world to get past this....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7014 on: July 01, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
There is nothing hysterical about it.  Cases are increasing, and it is directly related to bars and restaurants.  We're going to lock them down too.  If you don't think that is coming you're blind, bud.

https://www.channel3000.com/dane-county-issues-new-order-limiting-gatherings-bar-restaurant-activity/

Boy, that was fast.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7015 on: July 01, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »
Worrisome details noted in kids with COVID inflammatory syndrome

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/06/worrisome-details-noted-kids-covid-inflammatory-syndrome

The number of kids who get this condition is not high, but the consequences are significant, with 80% requiring intensive care. In the studies cited, 73% of the affected kids had been previously healthy...so it probably won't be possible to identify 'high risk' individuals before school begins.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7016 on: July 01, 2020, 02:28:27 PM »

He does it because his people believe every word he says. Science is heresy and anti- God to them.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7018 on: July 01, 2020, 03:39:50 PM »
More testing problems/delays. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/06/us-coronavirus-testing-could-fail-again/613675/

What an embarrassment.

“This is very bad,” Michael Mina, an epidemiology professor at Harvard, told us. Rapid test-turnaround times are the only way to control the coronavirus without forcing every potentially contagious person—everyone who’s had contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19—into quarantine, he said: “Our modeling efforts more or less show that if you don’t get results back in a day or so, outbreaks really can’t be stopped without isolating and quarantining all contacts preemptively.”

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #7019 on: July 01, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »
More testing problems/delays. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/06/us-coronavirus-testing-could-fail-again/613675/

Let’s not pretend to be surprised. This is very consistent with our federal government’s reaction from Day 1.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7020 on: July 01, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
It's OK folks, the President *still* says it will just go away.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1278413075327021056

Trump: "I think we're going to be very good with the coronavirus. I think that, at some point, that's going to sort of just disappear, I hope."
Fox: "You still believe so, disappear?"
Trump: "Well, I do."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7022 on: July 01, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »
I know the focus of many has been almost exclusively on deaths, but we should not lose sight of the fact that "recovery" does not necessarily mean people are 'healthy' again...

Here’s What Recovery From Covid-19 May Look Like for Many Survivors

Continuing shortness of breath, muscle weakness, flashbacks, mental fogginess and other symptoms may plague patients for a long time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/health/coronavirus-recovery-survivors.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7023 on: July 01, 2020, 06:43:31 PM »
I know the focus of many has been almost exclusively on deaths, but we should not lose sight of the fact that "recovery" does not necessarily mean people are 'healthy' again...

Here’s What Recovery From Covid-19 May Look Like for Many Survivors

Continuing shortness of breath, muscle weakness, flashbacks, mental fogginess and other symptoms may plague patients for a long time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/health/coronavirus-recovery-survivors.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Also, lasting lung damage in asymptomatic patients.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/coronavirus_coverage/new-arizona-concern-study-shows-asymptomatic-covid-patients-could-have-long-term-lung-damage/article_64903642-bb36-11ea-b48c-efd576ab9ba1.html

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7024 on: July 01, 2020, 07:49:39 PM »
It's OK folks, the President *still* says it will just go away.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1278413075327021056

Trump: "I think we're going to be very good with the coronavirus. I think that, at some point, that's going to sort of just disappear, I hope."
Fox: "You still believe so, disappear?"
Trump: "Well, I do."

Honestly this SHOULD be the biggest runaway presidential election in the history of the US, and that’s with Biden not even being a great candidate. Sadly it is going to be a very, very tight race, and may come down to how well Republicans are able to suppress the vote (‘Merica!).

Covid was always going to hit the USA. Deaths were always going to come, the economy was always going to tank. But there will be hundreds of thousands of lives needlessly lost to it and an economy like nobody alive has ever seen in the USA if Trump is re-elected. While other countries are responsibly reopening their economy, we are having foreign boarders shut down to us. I guess this is America being great. Very scary.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:51:49 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback