[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1106176 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10525 on: July 16, 2021, 07:56:31 AM »

I will defend it.

Facebook can do what they want.  They aren't "controlled by the government."  They are a private entity that is using government experts to determine which information posted to their site is misinformation or not.  They are under no government sanction if they keep misinformation up.  It is an entirely voluntary arrangement.  One which I applaud because it could save thousands of lives and end this pandemic way longer than it otherwise would because people have decided its better to lie to the American public for the sake of clicks and ratings than tell the truth and keep people healthy.

I guess you are another conservative who claims to understand the Constitution...but apparently doesn't really understand the Constitution.  But it's simply easier to parrot laughable lines like "heavy handed world dictators" than actually have the intellectual rigor to understand Constitutional law.

Facts don’t care about your feelings or something is a line I seem to recall
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10526 on: July 16, 2021, 07:59:12 AM »
Shortages of meat or lumber or microchips or used cars or even workers ... those we can deal with.

But shortages on booze ... THAT'S A DAMN BRIDGE TOO FAR!!!!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article252776348.html?

Charlotte area restaurants and bars are reporting outages of popular booze brands like Patron tequila, Ciroc, Ketel One and Tito’s vodkas, and Malibu rum amid a global liquor shortage leaving business owners scrambling to stock their shelves.

At Picasso’s Sports Cafe in University City, Don Julio and other tequilas, and Jameson Irish Whiskey and Crown Royal whisky are out of stock.

“Some have been impossible to get,” said manager Ken Morgan. He said it’s been hard to stock tequila for several months but it’s grown worse in the last month. Fortunately, Morgan said, other types of liquor are available.

During Wednesday’s regular meeting of the N.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission, chairman Zander Guy Jr. started off by addressing the statewide liquor shortage.

“We all are experiencing the supply and demand shortage, and hopefully that will resolve itself in time,” he said.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10527 on: July 16, 2021, 08:19:22 AM »

I will defend it.

Facebook can do what they want.  They aren't "controlled by the government."  They are a private entity that is using government experts to determine which information posted to their site is misinformation or not.  They are under no government sanction if they keep misinformation up.  It is an entirely voluntary arrangement.  One which I applaud because it could save thousands of lives and end this pandemic way longer than it otherwise would because people have decided its better to lie to the American public for the sake of clicks and ratings than tell the truth and keep people healthy.

I guess you are another conservative who claims to understand the Constitution...but apparently doesn't really understand the Constitution.  But it's simply easier to parrot laughable lines like "heavy handed world dictators" than actually have the intellectual rigor to understand Constitutional law.

Flawless victory.gif

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #10528 on: July 16, 2021, 08:19:30 AM »

I will defend it.

Of course “government experts” whoever that may be from Biden’s WH, which you or no one else has any clue who those “experts” may be, have a monopoly on truth and science, right?  They are not to be questioned, right comrade?

How about the free exchange ideas?  You know, people who disagree freely have a back and forth. People can post “misinformation”, and those not in agreement, knock it down. That’s the essence of free speech. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10529 on: July 16, 2021, 08:24:20 AM »
Of course “government experts” whoever that may be from Biden’s WH, which you or no one else has any clue who those “experts” may be, have a monopoly on truth and science, right?  They are not to be questioned, right comrade?

How about the free exchange ideas?  You know, people who disagree freely have a back and forth. People can post “misinformation”, and those not in agreement, knock it down. That’s the essence of free speech.

If you want constitutional free speech on social media, you should be contacting your reps to reclassify social media as public utilities.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10530 on: July 16, 2021, 08:42:09 AM »

I will defend it.

how honorable of you fluff, but this is either incredibly and purposely naive or you are next in line for an orange wig and spot at the potus podium.  the question is, can you do it with a straight face...come on man!  you're a lying dog faced pony soldier and if you can't decide which experts to cite, then you ain't..."-----"
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10531 on: July 16, 2021, 08:50:13 AM »

Of course they can be questioned.  Of course they can be wrong.  But Facebook has determined that they are the experts that they are using.  That is their choice as a private entity.

Free speech as a Constitutional concept is one that "Congress shall make no law....abridging the freedom of."  Media companies, social media companies, etc. are not required to provide a "free exchange of ideas." 

And one could argue that a "free exchange of ideas" isn't what's going on anyway.  Spreading misinformation about a vaccine isn't "an idea."  It's a lie.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 09:01:39 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #10532 on: July 16, 2021, 08:52:13 AM »
  how honorable of you fluff, but this is either incredibly and purposely naive or you are next in line for an orange wig and spot at the potus podium.  the question is, can you do it with a straight face...come on man!  you're a lying dog faced pony soldier and if you can't decide which experts to cite, then you ain't..."-----"

How am I "naive" rocket? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10533 on: July 16, 2021, 09:01:15 AM »
Shortages of meat or lumber or microchips or used cars or even workers ... those we can deal with.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article252776348.html?

Charlotte area restaurants and bars are reporting outages of popular booze brands like Patron tequila, Ciroc, Ketel One and Tito’s vodkas, and Malibu rum amid a global liquor shortage leaving business owners scrambling to stock their shelves.

At Picasso’s Sports Cafe in University City, Don Julio and other tequilas, and Jameson Irish Whiskey and Crown Royal whisky are out of stock.

“Some have been impossible to get,” said manager Ken Morgan. He said it’s been hard to stock tequila for several months but it’s grown worse in the last month. Fortunately, Morgan said, other types of liquor are available.

During Wednesday’s regular meeting of the N.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission, chairman Zander Guy Jr. started off by addressing the statewide liquor shortage.

“We all are experiencing the supply and demand shortage, and hopefully that will resolve itself in time,” he said.

There is a local bar here, made famous by the 5 o'clock somewhere video. Took a friend there. Went to get a Bahamian beer for him, as he had never had it (Kalik Gold, tasty, high alcohol content). Bartender said that they haven't been able to get it for months.  >:( :o
This has got to stop!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10534 on: July 16, 2021, 09:06:01 AM »
Serious question.

Who is crazier? Rocket or the people who try to have a rational discussion with him?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10535 on: July 16, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »
All the usual uber liberal posters here who despise anyone not as liberal as them, attack the messenger and fail to comment whatsoever on the substance of his post. Biden’s WH actively working with Facebook in controlling the information that’s posted would make heavy handed world dictators proud and line up well with their philosophy about free speech.

But none of you can defend that, so get your clever attacks at Rocket in. And now aim for me.  Have at it.

Facebook will work with whoever is in the WH.  It's called pragmatism.  Don't be such a damn fool.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10536 on: July 16, 2021, 10:04:49 AM »

Of course, this is the end result of continuing to pay folks to not work. Get ready to open your wallets and pay thru the ass because the result is massive inflation and strapping the youth with immeasurable debt, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10537 on: July 16, 2021, 10:09:16 AM »

Science isn't dictated by politicians, it's dictated by the scientific method.  Science used to just be science until the right decided to make it part of their culture war, because it's conclusions ran contradictory to their messaging.  And if there is one thing I know about conservatives.  They have a distinct inability to admit that they don't know or understand something.  Additionally, every single one I know never admits to mistakes or apologizes for their errors.  There is always a new outrage of the day to move onto and an excuse for everything.  True red white and blue American values.  I don't see how some of you can watch these obese, flag wearing, racists and think to yourselves, "You know what, I'm with those guys!".  I'd be too embarrassed to leave my house or even tell anyone my political views if that were my thought process.  Just look at the objective losers that routinely show up to Trump rallies.  Would you stand next to them?  Have meaningful discussion about US policy?  I MEAN COME ON.

Turn off the cable news or be treated like the freaks you are.

Oh, also... Covid is bad.  To satisfy the original point of this thread.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #10538 on: July 16, 2021, 10:18:43 AM »
Science isn't dictated by politicians, it's dictated by the scientific method.  Science used to just be science until the right decided to make it part of their culture war, because it's conclusions ran contradictory to their messaging.  And if there is one thing I know about conservatives.  They have a distinct inability to admit that they don't know or understand something.  Additionally, every single one I know never admits to mistakes or apologizes for their errors.  There is always a new outrage of the day to move onto and an excuse for everything.  True red white and blue American values.  I don't see how some of you can watch these obese, flag wearing, racists and think to yourselves, "You know what, I'm with those guys!".  I'd be too embarrassed to leave my house or even tell anyone my political views if that were my thought process.  Just look at the objective losers that routinely show up to Trump rallies.  Would you stand next to them?  Have meaningful discussion about US policy?  I MEAN COME ON.

Turn off the cable news or be treated like the freaks you are.

Oh, also... Covid is bad.  To satisfy the original point of this thread.

Come on Hards - you’re stealing my rants.  ;D

My supply isn’t endless, you know, so slow down.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #10539 on: July 16, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »

Of course, this is the end result of continuing to pay folks to not work. Get ready to open your wallets and pay thru the ass because the result is massive inflation and strapping the youth with immeasurable debt, hey?

Or not.

Cutting off unemployment benefits early is not pushing people to find work, data suggests
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/ending-unemployment-benefits-early-may-not-be-having-desired-effect.html

Job hunting has been muted in 12 states that opted out of federal unemployment programs in recent weeks, suggesting the policy may not be working as planned, according to a new analysis by job site Indeed.

The states ended the pandemic-era benefits — including an extra $300 a week — about three months ahead of their Sept. 6 expiration.

Job searches are about 4% below the national average in Alaska, Iowa, Mississippi and Missouri, which stopped paying the federal benefits as of June 12, according to the analysis published Tuesday.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10540 on: July 16, 2021, 11:14:00 AM »
Or not.

Cutting off unemployment benefits early is not pushing people to find work, data suggests
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/ending-unemployment-benefits-early-may-not-be-having-desired-effect.html

Job hunting has been muted in 12 states that opted out of federal unemployment programs in recent weeks, suggesting the policy may not be working as planned, according to a new analysis by job site Indeed.

The states ended the pandemic-era benefits — including an extra $300 a week — about three months ahead of their Sept. 6 expiration.

Job searches are about 4% below the national average in Alaska, Iowa, Mississippi and Missouri, which stopped paying the federal benefits as of June 12, according to the analysis published Tuesday.

Facts don’t care about your feelings, aina?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10541 on: July 16, 2021, 01:24:12 PM »
There is a local bar here, made famous by the 5 o'clock somewhere video. Took a friend there. Went to get a Bahamian beer for him, as he had never had it (Kalik Gold, tasty, high alcohol content). Bartender said that they haven't been able to get it for months.  >:( :o
This has got to stop!

The struggle is real PBI!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #10542 on: July 16, 2021, 01:51:35 PM »
Of course they can be questioned.  Of course they can be wrong.  But Facebook has determined that they are the experts that they are using.  That is their choice as a private entity.

Free speech as a Constitutional concept is one that "Congress shall make no law....abridging the freedom of."  Media companies, social media companies, etc. are not required to provide a "free exchange of ideas." 

And one could argue that a "free exchange of ideas" isn't what's going on anyway.  Spreading misinformation about a vaccine isn't "an idea."  It's a lie.

This all happily ignores completely the Federal government at the executive level direct involvement to control the message on a private entity platform. The government, which of course can infringe on our free speech, and is doing just that by inserting itself directly and censoring what they don’t approve of. 

One can only imagine an R in the WH doing the same.  There wouldn’t be any lefty talking points and spin to try and make this seem acceptable. 

And of course, it’s only because the were “chosen” by FB. 🙄  What luck for the government they didn’t have to force their way in. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 02:00:12 PM by HutchwasClutch »

• All American
« Reply #10543 on: July 16, 2021, 02:09:22 PM »
This all happily ignores completely the Federal government at the executive level direct involvement to control the message on a private entity platform.

I haven't ignored anything.  I specifically said that the private entity is engaging in this by choice.

The government, which of course can infringe on our free speech, and is doing just that by inserting itself directly and censoring what they don’t approve of. 

False.  There are plenty of ways that people can spread misinformation if they want.  They just can't do it on Facebook.  (Which is awesome as a Facebook user by the way!)  If they want to use a government as a resource to identify misinformation, that is their perogative. 

One can only imagine an R in the WH doing the same.  There wouldn’t be any lefty talking points and spin to try and make this seem acceptable.

This isn't a bad point at all, but not really relevant.

Perhaps you should direct your outrage at people who are lying by the virus instead.  That would be more productive.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #10544 on: July 16, 2021, 03:01:09 PM »
This all happily ignores completely the Federal government at the executive level direct involvement to control the message on a private entity platform. The government, which of course can infringe on our free speech, and is doing just that by inserting itself directly and censoring what they don’t approve of. 

And of course, it’s only because the were “chosen” by FB. 🙄  What luck for the government they didn’t have to force their way in.

You’re simply repeating the Fox News lie.

Rocket is just a moron that we all laugh at. You’re better than that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10545 on: July 16, 2021, 03:27:57 PM »

Of course, this is the end result of continuing to pay folks to not work.

If only facts supported that, nu?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10547 on: July 16, 2021, 10:08:53 PM »

Fans of bourbon call this Tuesday.

• All American
« Reply #10548 on: July 17, 2021, 07:05:49 AM »
The more I read about this White House and Facebook connection, the more I realize its a complete non-story.  The White House is asking Facebook to shut down sites that peddle in vaccine misinformation, 12 of whom were identified as spreading almost 2/3 of the information on the platform by a private entity.

But of course Fox portrayed at as something sinister, which got the lapdogs like rocket and Hutch all up in arms.  So sad.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10549 on: July 17, 2021, 04:55:40 PM »
The more I read about this White House and Facebook connection, the more I realize its a complete non-story.  The White House is asking Facebook to shut down sites that peddle in vaccine misinformation, 12 of whom were identified as spreading almost 2/3 of the information on the platform by a private entity.

But of course Fox portrayed at as something sinister, which got the lapdogs like rocket and Hutch all up in arms.  So sad.

you watch fox??? the horror! 

your penance should be 4 hail mary's, 4 our father's, 4 acts of contrition all stated publicly wearing bunny slippers and a banana hammock

the fox news hang up here is weird.  anyone ever call those who imbibe in CNN/MSNBC/ABC/NBC/NY times/WaPo/al jazeera/NPR/buzzfeed/PBS/etc etc etc

nope

the inaccuracies would be incalculable-really sad.  people's trust in the media is at an all time low.  fox makes up such a small amount of that.  do the math.  that's what's sad.  fox news NEWS is actually quite fair.  it's the pundits that i believe most are referring to and i can understand the animus of the different point of view
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback