[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bitchin' Kamar-o  (Read 18740 times)

tower912

• All American
Bitchin' Kamar-o
« on: January 24, 2020, 10:41:02 PM »
1.  Hinkle is a house of horrors.   Kudos to the Butler crowd.   Certainly influenced some calls.   MU fans, take notice.
2.  After a few good games, Jayce wasn't great tonight.    Theo was a beast.   And played big minutes without fouling out.   But you have to secure defensive rebounds in overtime. 
3.  I mentioned it elsewhere, but for a NPOY candidate, Markus does not get a proportionate number of calls.    He made one basket after getting knocked to the ground on that lay up.   (no call)   And he looked uncomfortable after that.   Wasn't close on his shots.   Never went to the hoop again.   I hope there wasn't a concussion. 
4.  Baldwin is a winner.   It isn't like he was making uncontested shots.   Pick, roll, pull up.   Iso, spin, turnaround.  He went full hero ball and it worked.   
5.  Koby is terrible.   Until he does that last second 3 thing.   And those 3's in overtime thing.   Maybe he has been thinking too much.   
6.  Butler didn't foul when up 3.   Unless they wanted to and the player didn't execute.   
7.  Did Bailey lose track of the clock and score, or was fouling while tied with 20 seconds left part of a plan?   Would like to hear the answer to that.   
8.  Symir looked like a freshman on defense tonight.   Reminded me of Martin and Elliott a couple of years ago.
9.  The turning point of the game came when Markus had the ball literally wrestled away from him without a call and then made a lay up, took an elbow to the head and was knocked to the ground without a call.    Markus made one shot the rest of the way.    Meanwhile, it energized Baldwin.    And he took over.
10.  Need to quit missing lay ups.   Sacar.   Koby. 
11.  This one hurt.   Would have been a nice road win.    But MU doesn't suck, the season isn't over, and Wojo shouldn't be fired.    The team sure as crap didn't quit.   
11.  Greg would have been useful tonight.   

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Bitchin' Kamar-o
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:43:06 PM »
Regarding 7, Wojo at least made a signal that looked like he was telling Bailey to foul.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 10:43:29 PM »
Kids played their heart out. Markus not the same after hitting his head. Very frustrating loss. 

A ton of of our fans in the game thread are massive a**holes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:51:00 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 10:44:44 PM »
Considering game/time/situation, that’s a terrible loss. Poor coaching, no adjustments on defense (Baldwin went to the same spot nearly every time), really bad execution when up in the final two minutes offensively, to the horrendous Bailey foul (seriously, WTF?).

Koby bailed MU out, but that’s a piss poor loss tonight.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 10:45:43 PM »
As talented as Markus is, it is games like this that causes people to be unhappy with him.  It wasn't injury that caused him to go 1-on-5 the entire last 3 minutes and ignore his teammates.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 10:46:00 PM »
Refs weren’t a problem. It was a physical, consistently called game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 10:47:35 PM »
Last 90 seconds of regulation were terribly coached, why not go to the zone that we ended the 1st half with. 2nd Beast game that comes down to Wojo being outcoached. This one stings. @X now a much bigger game.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:48:10 PM »
1. We fouled in a tie game to put the team on the line. And we did it on purpose.
2. We refused to change up how we defended the high ball screen for Baldwin giving him open 12-16 footers the entire second half plus over time. Maybe try something different and hedge or even rush the ball screen to get it out of his hands?  Instead we just threw up our hands.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:59:09 PM by Warrior2008 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 10:48:39 PM »
As talented as Markus is, it is games like this that causes people to be unhappy with him.  It wasn't injury that caused him to go 1-on-5 the entire last 3 minutes and ignore his teammates.

Check Markus's numbers from the 11:34 minute on.    Tell me he wasn't affected.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:13 PM »
Fouling on a tied game with 20 seconds left isn't the craziest idea imo. Marquette probably has a better chance winning with the ball then without

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:36 PM »
Kids played their heart out. Markus not the same after hitting his head. Very frustrating lose.

A ton of of our fans in the game thread are massive a**holes.
This. So many folks around here don't deserve to have a player like Markus Howard on their team, and don't deserve to root for a winner.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:58 PM »
then why is he still shooting awful shots? Stop shooting then.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 10:50:14 PM »

That's not at all what he's saying, and you know that.

The post game show is ripping Howard.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 10:50:27 PM »
Markus has scored 2,500 points. I'm not trying to be a dick, but has he ever made a clutch shot in an end-of-game type situation to tie or take the lead with under 30 seconds left? I honestly don't remember.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 10:51:12 PM »
Refs weren’t a problem. It was a physical, consistently called game.

+1

Crowd probably influenced the refs, but I thought they were fair.  Complaining about the refs--unless it's egregious a la Seton Hall last year--is weak sauce. 

"I'll have weak sauce on my beef and cheddar."

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 10:52:33 PM »
Baldwin was great for them, but Marquette lost this one.

If Marcus was hurt, why was he launching so many shots?  How can he take that 3 with 10 seconds left.

This was too reminiscent of SH game in the BE tournament last year.  Markus missing some fts and forcing terrible shots at crunch time.  (Aside from refs in this game - I thought they were fine).  How can it be that Wojo hasn’t gotten through to Markus on how to play in these moments? 

It’s why there is a part of me that doesn’t want to watch Marquette games.  Just feel like they will lose it at the end. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:56:04 PM by AlumKCof93 »
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 10:53:08 PM »

He should have come out then. He wasn’t effective at all from then on out. His shot selection and turnovers were killers in the last 2 minutes. I’ll put that on Woj.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 10:53:19 PM »
Markus was terrible after that fall and with NBA scouts in stands, did not impress.  8 for 27, 4 for 18 three and five turnovers

Missed layups really hurt.  Koby missed three point blank in regulation and Sacar in OT.  Even the color analyst Nick Bahe said the same at the end, that MU miss with those opportunities.

Refs not big issue, MU had some dumb fouls at bad times.  MU was 11 for 16 and Butler 27 for 31 from line. 

Cant wait for the Bailey foul explanation.  Never seen that in all years watching B-ball.  Bailey had 14/8 tonight though.

Congrats to Theo.  Only one foul, yes one foul into overtime with 7 blocks.  Probably Stud of Game if it was win.

Very tough loss, should have won this game with Butler missing players, but not as bad as Providence loss. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 10:53:37 PM »
I'm not even talking about his shooting results.  Unless he was concussed, there is no excuse for his decision making in the last 2-3 minutes.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 10:54:01 PM »
Howard's decision making and dribbling, must have been because he hit his head as well

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 10:54:13 PM »
I'm sure MU was gassed. They basically played six guys in an OT game. It would be nice to have a roster with 13 scholarship players.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 10:54:46 PM »
That's not at all what he's saying, and you know that.

The post game show is ripping Howard.
He had 6 assists in the first half.    He had 26 points at the 11:34 mark.    The rest of the game, he was listless, off on all of his shots.   I agree he was terrible.  I agree that his decision making in the last quarter of the game was lousy.    Why was he terrible?    There is a clear inflection point.   

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 10:55:10 PM »
13, heck we can't even keep 9.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 10:56:22 PM »
Regarding 11:  Wojo is mediocre.  Approaching mike McCarthy mediocrity in never winning games they are not favored in.     Hope everyone will be happy with medocrity for the rest of wojo’s career. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
He should have come out then. He wasn’t effective at all from then on out. His shot selection and turnovers were killers in the last 2 minutes. I’ll put that on Woj.
Probably.   And replaced with whom?

feedback