[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo...what the hell  (Read 22757 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Wojo...what the hell
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:01 PM »
Well, at least he owned it.

Well, they can stop with the Valvano comparisons now.  Mistake by the staff, a big mistake and he took the blame. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:18 PM »
Lol. Ok. Whatever. 🙄🙄🙄
So you think that we would've stopped them?  I sure don't.  They scored on just about every possession in OT too.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:36 PM »
Seriously stop trying to rationalize an absolutely stupid tactical decision that even the coach realized he unnatural carnal knowledgeed up.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2020, 11:11:03 PM »
So you think that we would've stopped them?  I sure don't.  They scored on just about every possession in OT too.

Yes. I will always bet on my team doing what they need to do versus giving points to the opponent.

Yours is a defeatist mindset.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2020, 11:11:14 PM »
Ben Steele
@BenSteeleMJS
·
49s
Wojo: I let the team down.  I made a mistake. Confusion on bench. I apologized to team. #mubb.

I’m at least happy he owned up to it as that was the ONLY defense he had.

Markus was a chucker tonight, haven’t seen that much this year.  Shame...a game we should have won.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2020, 11:11:20 PM »
He messed up.   He owned it.      But I almost wish he had done it on purpose.    Like letting a football team have a touchdown in the last minute in order to get the ball back for your quarterback.     That would have been a helluva debate.

That doesn't happen in tied football games, though. That only happens when a team is already winning and the opponent is close to the endzone.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2020, 11:13:15 PM »
Well, at least he owned it.
Congrats Tower, I know that hurt a little bit.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2020, 11:13:20 PM »
I'm not making excuses.  Even if he did do it by mistake, I still didn't hate it.  The way we were playing defense, I am confident we lose that game in regulation if he doesn't do it.  And it did not end up hurting.
Umm, Ok. You don't hate the $2.1MM per year coach making a mistake of what the score of the game was?

You and I (and most MU fans) have different expectations of the head coach. If he can keep score, that would help.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2020, 11:13:53 PM »
A good follow up would have been “what was the confusion on the bench?”

Pretty bad time to have a collective brain fart.

Edit: Tweets say he didn’t know the score. Thought they were down two.

Ouch.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:15:59 PM by MDMU04 »
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2020, 11:15:07 PM »
Seriously stop trying to rationalize an absolutely stupid tactical decision that even the coach realized he unnatural carnal knowledgeed up.
I didn't think Wojo called for it when it happened.  I thought Bailey didn't know the score and did it on his own.  I am just saying I still didn't hate it, because I am very confident they score with little time on the clock and we lose if we don't foul.  At least this way we had a chance to win.  I get it, you all don't agree.  The real indictment of Wojo in my stance is that he could not formulate a defense to stop Baldwin in the closing minutes other than hoping he'd miss, so we were going to lose if we didn't foul.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2020, 11:16:04 PM »
I’m at least happy he owned up to it as that was the ONLY defense he had.

Markus was a chucker tonight, haven’t seen that much this year.  Shame...a game we should have won.

Lavin and crew were talking about this in the postgame. Saying that there were noticeable situations where Markus was taking bad shots with teammates wide open and calling for the ball.

It's easier to call out after a loss, of course, but those kinds of plays could be the difference between a win and a loss in a few more games this year. If he can get out of the tunnel vision just a little bit more, it will gives us some more opportunities. He's having a helluva year, but this one little improvement could be big for the team.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2020, 11:16:20 PM »
I still can’t believe MU didn’t go 2 for 1 with 40 plus seconds left and the ball.

That end of game strategy was so bad. I say this in the NFL threads all the time...you have a collective staff earning millions of dollars. Basic game strategy should not be a constant challenge. Game Score. Time Left. Situation.

So dumb.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 11:16:48 PM »
He messed up.   He owned it.      But I almost wish he had done it on purpose.    Like letting a football team have a touchdown in the last minute in order to get the ball back for your quarterback.     That would have been a helluva debate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2020, 11:18:46 PM »
Congrats Tower, I know that hurt a little bit.

Not at all.   I was flummoxed at the time, included it in my postgame, engaged in some out-there speculation, and ultimately had my question answered.     No pain. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2020, 11:20:33 PM »

Yep, seeing that now.  Just a lousy job down the stretch all around.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2020, 11:21:19 PM »
I don’t know a single coach/team/program that uses the 2 for 1 in college basketball. The clock doesn’t stop after a made basket in college basketball like it does in the NBA in the last minute (or 2 minutes?). Makes it almost impossible to go 2 for 1, especially with 41 seconds left. So you’re just going to rush a shot just to not get the ball back anyways. 41 seconds left, you hoist it at the earliest with 39 seconds left. You probably miss a bad look if you’re going that fast, so they get the rebound with 37 seconds left. They run the clock down and shoot it with 10 seconds left. If they don’t score you need to rebound and get it down court for a shot very quick. If they score you’re using a TO to stop the clock. They then set their D and you need a bucket going the full court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »
It's not that uncommon in European pro leagues....

Jesus. If this is true no wonder we keep having to bail them out.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2020, 11:23:36 PM »
The clock doesn’t stop after a made basket in college basketball like it does in the NBA in the last minute (or 2 minutes?). Makes it almost impossible to go 2 for 1, especially with 41 seconds left.

It absolutely does in the last minute of regulation.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2020, 11:26:19 PM »
I don’t know a single coach/team/program that uses the 2 for 1 in college basketball. The clock doesn’t stop after a made basket in college basketball like it does in the NBA in the last minute (or 2 minutes?). Makes it almost impossible to go 2 for 1, especially with 41 seconds left. So you’re just going to rush a shot just to not get the ball back anyways. 41 seconds left, you hoist it at the earliest with 39 seconds left. You probably miss a bad look if you’re going that fast, so they get the rebound with 37 seconds left. They run the clock down and shoot it with 10 seconds left. If they don’t score you need to rebound and get it down court for a shot very quick. If they score you’re using a TO to stop the clock. They then set their D and you need a bucket going the full court.

The clock stops in the last minute on a make.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2020, 11:27:26 PM »
Yep. The rationalizing here on this is nuts. I do give Wojo credit for owning it. Could have made some lame excuse.

Agree. Yet a pretty critical situation and game to have a brain fart.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2020, 11:28:52 PM »
The clock stops in the last minute on a make.

Then Butler had some home cooking on the clock tonight. Koby let the ball roll up the court inside a minute tonight but the clock was running anyway.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2020, 11:29:50 PM »

The clock stops in the last minute of the second half after a made basket...not sure what you are talking about that it keeps running...that only happens in the first half.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2020, 11:30:44 PM »
The clock stops in the last minute of the second half after a made basket...not sure what you are talking about that it keeps running...that only happens in the first half.

Certainly happened in OT tonight when Koby let the ball roll up the court but the clock continued to run.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2020, 11:31:28 PM »
Umm, Ok. You don't hate the $2.1MM per year coach making a mistake of what the score of the game was?

You and I (and most MU fans) have different expectations of the head coach. If he can keep score, that would help.

But hey..... Wojo looks great at a banquet and has a soothing voice.  He's got half the people here enchanted....

I want my coach to the know the score rather than tell me how good his recruiting class is next year.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2020, 11:32:10 PM »
Lavin and crew were talking about this in the postgame. Saying that there were noticeable situations where Markus was taking bad shots with teammates wide open and calling for the ball.

It's easier to call out after a loss, of course, but those kinds of plays could be the difference between a win and a loss in a few more games this year. If he can get out of the tunnel vision just a little bit more, it will gives us some more opportunities. He's having a helluva year, but this one little improvement could be big for the team.
I agree.  I said in another thread, we saw 3 games and 37 minutes of beautiful team ball, where Markus was still Stud of the Game but everyone was getting involved and contributing.  That went out the window in the last three minutes of this one with disastrous results.

We give Markus his proper accolades when he plays well, it is fair to point out when he costs us the game as well.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback