[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Charting This Year Versus Last Year  (Read 8117 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Charting This Year Versus Last Year
« on: January 21, 2020, 06:47:28 PM »
If you have not noticed, I scrapped a bunch of data and I have been making charts.

This is from Kenpom data.  He runs a daily rating for all teams.  The chart below is the game-by-game rating for MU last year (blue) and this year (orange).  Today (St. Johns) is game 19.

Last year's team was popular with the media, as the polls had it as high as #10.

But, if you believe Kenpom is an objective standard, there is very little difference in the ratings between last year's team and this year's team.

So, where would the orange line be if the Hauser's had stayed?  Would it be much lower (like 10 or below)?  Or, would it be essentially where it is now, which is the same place as last year?  Would it be worse?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:13:37 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Impact of The Hauser's Departure In One Chart
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 06:48:23 PM »
Who?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:07:57 PM »
Do I think MU would be better with the Hausers? Absolutely.

I base my opinion on Wojo, Izzo and Bennett's ability to evaluate talent. I think they are really good.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:10:50 PM »
Sam and Joey have a lot of time to think about their decision while sitting on the bench this season.

Go Warriors!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
Who?

KenPom. He says we're as good this year as we were last year, before some dudes transferred.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
Do I think MU would be better with the Hausers? Absolutely.

I base my opinion on Wojo, Izzo and Bennett's ability to evaluate talent. I think they are really good.

Yep. To think otherwise is silly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:59:40 PM »
If the Hausers had stayed, it is likely the rest of the roster would be different.   So it is difficult to project how good MU would be with them.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »
If the Hausers had stayed, it is likely the rest of the roster would be different.   So it is difficult to project how good MU would be with them.

Yeah...like the Hausers staying appeared to be contingent on Markus leaving, so we'd be missing a pretty important scorer.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 01:55:31 PM »

Yeah...like the Hausers staying appeared to be contingent on Markus leaving, so we'd be missing a pretty important scorer, and a couple of other players.....
[/b][/u][/color]

FIFY

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
[/b][/u][/color]

FIFY

Who were the players that were going to leave if the Hauser's stayed? 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 02:49:38 PM »
Who were the players that were going to leave if the Hauser's stayed?

Not verified but rumor was a Sacar grad transfer and possibly Brendan in addition to Markus.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 03:01:22 PM »
Not verified but rumor was a Sacar grad transfer and possibly Brendan in addition to Markus.
This all BS speculation. No one knows.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 03:13:07 PM »
You are correct that no one knows, but if you think everyone else was going to stay had the Hausers not left, I am not sure what to tell you.  Would you want to be teammates with Joey Hauser? His attitude would have most likely been even worse as a sophomore. The team would have had a much different look than this years team had they stayed and others left and most likely been much less athletic and worse defensively.  So when people say that we would have been better this year if the Hausers had stayed, that is just a guess, since like you said, no one know what would have happened with other players. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 03:19:52 PM »
It's bs speculation to say there would have been no roster shake up if they had stayed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 03:31:09 PM »

I did say "rumor"

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »
It's bs speculation to say there would have been no roster shake up if they had stayed.

True. Likely a function of players not thinking they could beat out Sam and Joey for starting spots/max minutes.

Think the whole Joey had a bad attitude was way overblown. Don’t recall reading much of that during the season - but only after transfer announced. Truthfully, if I were a skilled offensive player, I’d find it frustrating to play with Markus. Not meant to slam Markus, btw.

All this aside seems to have worked out best for everyone involved and the team has done great without them.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 03:36:48 PM »
True. Likely a function of players not thinking they could beat out Sam and Joey for starting spots/max minutes.

Think the whole Joey had a bad attitude was way overblown. Don’t recall reading much of that during the season - but only after transfer announced. Truthfully, if I were a skilled offensive player, I’d find it frustrating to play with Markus. Not meant to slam Markus, btw.

All this aside seems to have worked out best for everyone involved and the team has done great without them.
if I were a skilled offensive player, I would love to play with Markus. His man cannot play help defense. Plenty of opportunities.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 03:38:26 PM »

There was plenty of bad Joey body language toward the end of last season.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »

Did you not watch the games last year, especially starting halfway through the season?  It was obvious even from a casual fan that he did not have a great attitude.  The interesting thing to me is that Sam was always one of my favorite players and Joey quickly turned into one of my least favorite players.  I think Sam has a brighter future ahead of him than Joey does just because of their different personalities and attitudes.  It will be very interesting to me to see how they both do next year, but I would expect Sam to have more success. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
I keep reflecting back to what I thought when the team got in a fight with Seton Hall in the Big East tournament. The Hausers just stood by as the rest of the team got involved in the melee. At that time I thought they were smart and showed more discipline than our other players. Now I believe they just did not care to defend their teammates.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »

There was plenty of bad Joey body language toward the end of last season.

Yes but how did he do with his slaps of five?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 03:53:15 PM »
I keep reflecting back to what I thought when the team got in a fight with Seton Hall in the Big East tournament. The Hausers just stood by as the rest of the team got involved in the melee. At that time I thought they were smart and showed more discipline than our other players. Now I believe they just did not care to defend their teammates.

Soft serve vanilla

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 03:58:15 PM »
To be fair, I interpreted his bad body language at the time as more frustration at himself.  But in retrospect, it was obvious that he wasn't happy at MU. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 04:13:49 PM »
To be fair, I interpreted his bad body language at the time as more frustration at himself.  But in retrospect, it was obvious that he wasn't happy at MU.

I thought it was about his play but I remember one game (I believe vs. DePaul) Joey had a turnover right before the break and Markus got in his face just a bit. Joey's reaction was just horrible. When you got one of the leaders on your team talking to you about a mistake, you can't have that attitude. I am fairly certain this was mentioned in other threads but if Joey has that attitude, imagine how he reacts if Izzo gets in his grill like he did Aaron Henry last year.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 04:17:54 PM »
Is there a video of this? The only one I can find when Theo was ejected, as well as Anim, is that Joey was on the bench and Sam was in the fray holding people back.

feedback